Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Adventures Physical Box Stuff  (Read 47032 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the Adventures Physical Box Stuff
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2015, 07:46:39 pm »
+4

Goko got to the American sets first.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2015, 04:14:55 am »

So I played a real-life game with Adventures and another set, without sleeves.  The Adventures cards were obviously newer, as the other cards were used.  So you could tell a difference, but it didn't really matter at all.  The feel is a little different, but it doesn't effect game play.

I suppose in a truly competitive environment, like a tournament, or with money on the line, you wouldn't want this, because someone could use it to their advantage (slightly) with shuffling or by inspecting the draw deck for tracking purposes. 

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2015, 02:48:22 pm »

I didn't notice the different colored backs at first, but after reading about it here, I looked at my cards again and now I can't unsee it. Both sides of the card are printed lighter. The difference can be subtle, so I can't see what cards my opponents are holding across the table, but I can definitely tell whether the top card of my deck is Adventures. Which can influence my choice to play terminal draw, etc.

Also, my tokens are printed rather off-center, but I have off-center tokens in a lot of games on my shelf, so meh.

One of my friends ordered his own copy of Dominion (the base set) and he got a Hasbro printing of it, American flag logo and all. Some of his Estates were noticeably miscut. I told him RGG was good about replacements, but I just thought it worth mentioning that this issue isn't exclusive to Adventures.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2015, 02:57:55 pm »

Just don't let it influence your choices.  It's not hard to not look for it.

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2015, 03:21:30 pm »

I try not to look, but if I glance at it, it's like, well, now I know. But it truly hasn't been a big deal. I'm also not good enough to really make use of the edge it gives me.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 03:26:50 pm by crlundy »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2015, 09:27:41 pm »

If you don't find it difficult, you don't have the problem to the same extent that I (and I guess some others) do. It's not a choice. Some cards are light tan, some cards are dark brown, it's not a thing you can really not see. Even with differently worn cards, you have to try to look at the cards and examine the white spots on the edges.

I bought some opague sleeves which I've used for the past few days while I wait for RGG to get back to me. Does anyone know how long it normally takes for them to follow up?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:29:27 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2015, 09:46:52 pm »

I had a damaged indicator stick in Temporum, and I got a response the morning after I reported it (here), and the replacement shipped the day after that.

I reported my mis-cut and light colored cards last Thursday.  I received the "We are sorry..." form message from Todd Jenson the very next day as I did with Temporum, but haven't received any further messages or shipping notice as of today.  The message says "[we] will send replacements within 10 business days" and it has only been 3.

I also was not as specific about exactly what I needed and was potentially expecting more detailed correspondence.  I did mention that all of the cards did not match in color, so I'm unsure if the "will send replacements" means they are going to send replacements for all the kingdom cards or if it only says that because it is a form message. I will update as I hear more if you are interested.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2015, 03:09:04 am »

If you don't find it difficult, you don't have the problem to the same extent that I (and I guess some others) do. It's not a choice. Some cards are light tan, some cards are dark brown, it's not a thing you can really not see. Even with differently worn cards, you have to try to look at the cards and examine the white spots on the edges.

I bought some opague sleeves which I've used for the past few days while I wait for RGG to get back to me. Does anyone know how long it normally takes for them to follow up?

Oooh, I thought it was much more subtle; like the Adventures cards are slightly less dark, but you have to look for it. 

convolucid

• Baron
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2015, 02:32:38 pm »
+1

Oooh, I thought it was much more subtle; like the Adventures cards are slightly less dark, but you have to look for it.

It sounds like there's a lot of variation in the printing. My cards are all on-center and look fine, but the lighter backs are pretty much impossible to miss- unless it was like a romantic candle-lit game or something.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2015, 03:07:16 pm »
+9

It sounds like there's a lot of variation in the printing. My cards are all on-center and look fine, but the lighter backs are pretty much impossible to miss- unless it was like a romantic candle-lit game or something.

That's how all my Tinder Dominion dates go.

tylorlilley

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
    • tylorlilley.com
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2015, 01:18:00 am »
+1

I'll chime in; I got a US copy when it became available on Amazon.

Thankfully, none of my cards are miscut. I didn't immediately notice the increased flimsiness, and when my girlfriend did I originally assumed it was because they were less used. But, now that I'm aware, I can tell immediately with any card in the set.

There's a bigger problem though: my Adventures cards have noticeably lighter backs than any other cards. It's really obvious while shuffling, though I don't think I would notice across the table. So far this hasn't impacted any games, but as others have concluded, if something were at stake in a tournament it would be a big deal.

I also have to echo disappointment in the cardboard; I really like the tavern artwork so it's sad that the printing is so hard to see. I love the expansion, but unfortunately the physical quality is low.

obligatory: lurking for a while, first post!

I figured I would chime in too. Can't hurt. I have the same exact deal. Non glossy mats that are too dark. Flimsy, really flimsy cards in some cases. Cards are all printed noticeably lighter front and back.. Some Hirelings, distant lands and others came dinged up a bit in the shrink wrap.

One problem I have that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere: a bunch of my cards are marked with what looks like a brown or black ink line on the SIDE of the card. Like looking at all ten of a kingdom from above I can see splotches on the side of the card where I can't with any other cards from any other set. Six or seven kingdom cards are like those, travellers included.

Is there any sign of any if these problems beingbfixed? I'm fine with waiting for a new printing and even buying it again if need be. I just want my old Dominion quality components back! Or is there anywhere else I should be reporting this if I would like to see something done?

For what its worth everything was perfectly centered, cards, backs, and tokens, so at least I have that going for me.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2015, 11:03:26 am »
+3

Thankfully, none of my cards are miscut. I didn't immediately notice the increased flimsiness, and when my girlfriend did I originally assumed it was because they were less used. But, now that I'm aware, I can tell immediately with any card in the set.

There's a bigger problem though: my Adventures cards have noticeably lighter backs than any other cards. It's really obvious while shuffling, though I don't think I would notice across the table. So far this hasn't impacted any games, but as others have concluded, if something were at stake in a tournament it would be a big deal.

I also have to echo disappointment in the cardboard; I really like the tavern artwork so it's sad that the printing is so hard to see. I love the expansion, but unfortunately the physical quality is low.

I figured I would chime in too. Can't hurt. I have the same exact deal. Non glossy mats that are too dark. Flimsy, really flimsy cards in some cases. Cards are all printed noticeably lighter front and back.. Some Hirelings, distant lands and others came dinged up a bit in the shrink wrap.

One problem I have that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere: a bunch of my cards are marked with what looks like a brown or black ink line on the SIDE of the card. Like looking at all ten of a kingdom from above I can see splotches on the side of the card where I can't with any other cards from any other set. Six or seven kingdom cards are like those, travellers included.

Is there any sign of any if these problems beingbfixed? I'm fine with waiting for a new printing and even buying it again if need be. I just want my old Dominion quality components back! Or is there anywhere else I should be reporting this if I would like to see something done?

For what its worth everything was perfectly centered, cards, backs, and tokens, so at least I have that going for me.

Dang, quality control does not appear to be a priority for Hasbro. I firmly believe that Jay had the best of intentions when he decided to print the English copies in the U.S., but if I were him I think I'd switch back to Altenberger ASAP.

tylorlilley

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
    • tylorlilley.com
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2015, 12:04:16 pm »
+1

Dang, quality control does not appear to be a priority for Hasbro. I firmly believe that Jay had the best of intentions when he decided to print the English copies in the U.S., but if I were him I think I'd switch back to Altenberger ASAP.

This would be nice if it happened; I'd be pretty much guaranteed to be able to buy a proper version if this expansion then. And no, I don't blame Jay; this is clear a lack if quality control from Hasbro.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2015, 03:12:21 pm »

I don't blame Jay; this is clear a lack if quality control from Hasbro.

Jay did choose to use Hasbro. It's not like Hasbro is some unknown entity.

tylorlilley

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
    • tylorlilley.com
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2015, 03:37:59 pm »

I don't blame Jay; this is clear a lack if quality control from Hasbro.

Jay did choose to use Hasbro. It's not like Hasbro is some unknown entity.

True, but from what I gather they looked at sample cards and such from Hasbro before going with them, and the sample cards did not have any of these problems the Adventure cards are having now. If that's true its hard to fault Jay or anyone but Hasbro. I could be mistaken though.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2015, 03:41:42 pm »
+3

Hasbro has printed promos before with no issues, and from what I understand they also print MTG cards which are known for a VERY high standard of quality. So I'd say Jay had all the reason in the world to believe they'd be a fine choice.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2015, 04:20:01 pm »

Hasbro has printed promos before with no issues, and from what I understand they also print MTG cards which are known for a VERY high standard of quality. So I'd say Jay had all the reason in the world to believe they'd be a fine choice.
I believe MtG is all or mostly printed by Carta Mundi (maybe certain side products aren't). We did get those promos though, I have some (promo blanks) and they are fine.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2467
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2015, 10:44:59 pm »

I really would like Jay to get back with Altenberger, and yes MTG is printed by Carta Mundi, not Hasbro. I haven't emailed Jay yet, but my set has a lot of problems. I play with it sleeved, but the problems do bother me. I just love Dominion too damn much. I am upset to also see so many casual players let down. This puts a real bad taste in people's mouths and can also effect sales of future Dominion expansions if more are to be printed.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2015, 08:10:14 pm »
+2

I don't own Adventures but I've played with it and like a couple previous commentators my biggest problem was with the tokens. They just seemed so cheap, I felt like I was playing with pieces some hobbyist designer printed out in his spare time for a beta test. It was really bothering me the whole time and I feel like if I'm paying $45 for a game, it should be a little more aesthetically pleasing.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2015, 08:28:32 pm »

I don't own Adventures but I've played with it and like a couple previous commentators my biggest problem was with the tokens. They just seemed so cheap, I felt like I was playing with pieces some hobbyist designer printed out in his spare time for a beta test. It was really bothering me the whole time and I feel like if I'm paying $45 for a game, it should be a little more aesthetically pleasing.

I like them.  They're clear and readable.  These tokens don't need to be metal - honestly I think metal tokens would probably be less readable.  And I prefer that they're lightweight, since most of them are going on top of piles.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2015, 08:56:54 pm »
+1

I like them.  They're clear and readable.  These tokens don't need to be metal - honestly I think metal tokens would probably be less readable.  And I prefer that they're lightweight, since most of them are going on top of piles.

I agree that the tokens should be cardboard rather than metal. I'd imagine they'd be difficult to read/distinguish if they were metal. That said, they do look beta-ish and ugly. The ones with the icons (Estate, Journey, and Trashing) especially look bad and are difficult to distinguish. I hope they will be improved in a future printing.

tylorlilley

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
    • tylorlilley.com
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2015, 10:02:33 am »

I hope they will be improved in a future printing.

But they haven't said ANYTHING that I know of about improving or fixing anything in a later printing, as far as I'm aware. In fact, they have set a precedent for NOT doing this, by confirming that they will keep  the events not-blue backed in later printings. This is what worries me.

I feel like its been enough time that it would be nice to see a direct response to these issues with the components from Jay, including what their intentions are moving forward. Maybe that has happened somewhere and I missed it? But I don't think that it has.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2015, 01:02:18 pm »

I hope they will be improved in a future printing.

But they haven't said ANYTHING that I know of about improving or fixing anything in a later printing, as far as I'm aware. In fact, they have set a precedent for NOT doing this, by confirming that they will keep  the events not-blue backed in later printings. This is what worries me.

I feel like its been enough time that it would be nice to see a direct response to these issues with the components from Jay, including what their intentions are moving forward. Maybe that has happened somewhere and I missed it? But I don't think that it has.

Rio has confirmed they are fixing the bendiness issue. They're replacing anything miscut/off-center. What else are you looking for?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2015, 01:08:32 pm »
+8

Got my shipping notice from RGG today that my replacement cards are in the mail. Very quick turnaround time.

To bring this to a close:

1) the shipment, due to my error, couldn't be deliver and was returned to RGG
2) I offered to pay for them to be re-shipped - RGG refused and shipped them again at their cost (which, again, was due to my error)
3) the cards arrived a few days ago while I was out of town
4) RGG replaced more than I asked for (they replaced the entire "brick" of cards, even though I didn't need replacement Events, etc. since it doesn't matter if they're off-center)
5) They threw in a copy of the Prince promo

A+ customer service here.

I obviously still have my problems with what led to this issue in the first place, but my set is now fixed and RGG is responding to this issue in nearly the best way I can imagine (fixing the printings, replacing everyone's stuff).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:09:53 pm by Voltaire »

tylorlilley

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
    • tylorlilley.com
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2015, 01:45:09 pm »

Rio has confirmed they are fixing the bendiness issue. They're replacing anything miscut/off-center. What else are you looking for?

Did I miss where they confirmed that? I know they said they would look into it but I didn't see anywhere where they said they fixed it. Again, I could be missing it. Maybe you could kindly provide a link to what you're talking about for my benefit?

What I am looking for is a way for me, someone who has this set, to be able to receive or even to buy the cards again with the correct thickness where the bendiness is fixed.

Got my shipping notice from RGG today that my replacement cards are in the mail. Very quick turnaround time.

To bring this to a close:

1) the shipment, due to my error, couldn't be deliver and was returned to RGG
2) I offered to pay for them to be re-shipped - RGG refused and shipped them again at their cost (which, again, was due to my error)
3) the cards arrived a few days ago while I was out of town
4) RGG replaced more than I asked for (they replaced the entire "brick" of cards, even though I didn't need replacement Events, etc. since it doesn't matter if they're off-center)
5) They threw in a copy of the Prince promo

A+ customer service here.

I obviously still have my problems with what led to this issue in the first place, but my set is now fixed and RGG is responding to this issue in nearly the best way I can imagine (fixing the printings, replacing everyone's stuff).

I have always had AMAZING dealings with RGG in terms of customer service or to replace parts like this. I am not trying to knock them. I believe they are one of if not the best in the business for things like this right now. But it IS apparent there was quite a quality drop from this expansion in terms of the components (not the gameplay of course), and I just think it would be nice to see it addressed more directly than a few forum post responses. But maybe I'm asking too much of them! I don't know. If I am it is only because I have such high expectations from my previously amazing customer service interactions (and previously nice quality components too).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.