Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 7163 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
The Music Thread
« on: April 27, 2013, 02:03:45 pm »

There already has been one, but I don't feel like necroing it. Plus more people have joined/tastes change/etc. So post your favorite genres, artists, composers, songs, or anything to do with music, all here.

I'm definitely a music lover and listen to it almost whenever I'm not socializing with people. I'm also interested in music influences, how music affects your mood, how beats and rhythms can flow so smoothly, the power of lyrics, etc. Without music I seriously doubt I'd be the person I am today. It really has inspired me in so many ways.

Enough of me gushing over how awesome music is, let's see what types of music I like! Genre wise I generally love Electropop and Indie Rock and don't like  Rap/Hip-Hop and/or songs with many profanities in them. I generally like all upbeat music, but occasionally softer music if I'm in that kind of mood. And I usually don't care what age the music comes from (I still listen to The Buggles from time to time).

My favorite artists are (in no particular order) Relient K, Passion Pit, San Cisco, Owl City, Vampire Weekend, Foster the People, Of Monsters and Men, Fun., Mumford and Sons, The Lumineers. I'm also liking/disliking different artists, so this list changes fairly often. I love too many songs to name, but my main one for now is Take a Walk by Passion Pit. They're an acquired taste, so don't feel too terrible of a person if you don't like them.  ;D

The majority of the music I listen to is lyrical, but I occasionally listen to purely instrumental music if I'm studying or doing something that requires extreme concentration. And usually those instrumental songs are just my favorite lyrical ones, without the lyrics.

I can't read music to save my life, but I can somewhat play the piano by ear and have taken one guitar lesson. I can pluck notes on a guitar fairly well, but struggle when it comes to chords. I really want to learn how to play the violin because I adore those fast paced violin songs (including classical). It also looks like a fun instrument to play.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 02:06:42 pm by Archetype »

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
Re: The Music Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 02:07:04 pm »
+3

This song is amazing.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 02:31:28 pm »

In all seriousness, I would say my favorite artist is Steam Powered Giraffe.  They are a not that well known steampunk folk-ish type band.  They pretend that they're robots (complete with makeup, robot actions, made-up names for each of them), and all of their songs are about that.  But, one main thing is that their music is amazing.  A few of their songs I like are Brass Goggles, Honeybee, and Automatonic Electronic Harmonics.  They do some acting too, but they don't do that in their music videos.  Here's them doing some acting (and another song) on the street.  It was done a while ago, early enough that Upgrade (the woman robot in the video) was still there (she left to become an actor pretty early on).

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 03:21:18 pm »

Woah, I just watched that last one again and they've gotten a lot better since then.  I went to a concert recently where they did a lot of their acting there (and their songs of course).

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1024
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 03:23:49 pm »

I loooove Passion Pit, and Take a Walk is awesome. Saw them live in February when their show got postponed by the blizzard, so the arena was mostly empty and we took really good seats.

Lately I mostly listen to modern indie/alternative, but I also like a lot of classic rock, 80's/90's alternative, jam bands, and bluegrass/folk.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1024
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 03:25:49 pm »
+1

I also have no qualms about singing along to pop music as a guilty pleasure, if it is legitimately catchy.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 04:30:05 pm »
+2

Piano Guys? Anyone?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 04:37:03 pm »

I love the Piano Guys!

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 04:42:16 pm »

I've heard of them.  I thought you were asking if anybody here played piano, but then realized what you were saying when math responded.  I do play piano myself.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 10:03:36 am »

>favorite genres
I like all genres equally when I listen to music, but when I'm composing, avant-garde metal is my thing. Also, a lot of artists that I like a lot are metal, rock or folk bands, but that's not because I like those genres more than others, it's a result of multiple coincidences.

>artists
Arkona; Baulta; Dalriada; Deathspell Omega; Dream Theater; Earth, Wind & Fire; Emperor; Finntroll; Gjallarhorn; Heidevolk; Lapko; Machine Head; Maximum The Hormone; Mew; Moonsorrow; October Falls (sadly their best songs are on YouTube only partially); Omnia (both the trance Omnia and the folk Omnia); Panzerballett; Stam1na; Summoning; Tsuumi Sound System; and Ultra Bra. Those are probably all of my favorites at the moment.

>composers
Henri Sorvali, Harri Wessman, Kerkko Koskinen, Yuki Kajiura, Igor Stravinsky, Camille Saint-Saëns, Jean Sibelius, Claude Debussy, Antonio Vivaldi and of course W. A. Mozart.

>songs
I usually listen to whole albums and don't pay much attention to individual songs, so I don't have a lot of favorite modern songs. Actually just one, which is A Collapse of Faith by October Falls; the one 44-minute song is the only song on the album. Sibelius: Finlandia, Saint-Saëns: Danse Macabre, Ravel: Bolero and Mozart: Requiem are the other favorites.

>anything to do with music
I compose. And I play the drums, the cello, the piano/keyboard and the guitar. I'm the composer, the lyricist, the drummer, the guitarist and the keyboardist in an avant-garde metal band called Necro-Cannibal Machinery with two other guitarists, two other keyboardists, two vocalists, two other lyricists and one other drummer (we're three people). I used to play the drums in a pop/rock band called Emmie but we disbanded a year ago. I play the cello in Savonlinna Music Institute chamber orchestra, and do some solo stuff with the cello, too. I'm one of the musicians in PaijausGroup, an amateur Visual Novel studio which hasn't released anything yet (but we're still trying) and I attend to a rock band class in my school (Savonlinna Senior Secondary School of Art and Music) as the drummer. I have drums and percussion as my main subject and electric guitar as my side subject at school and I take cello lessons at Savonlinna Music Institute.

I most certainly have no idea what I would be doing all day if there was no music. Actually I do, I would probably try to invent it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 08:35:55 am »

In all seriousness, I would say my favorite artist is Steam Powered Giraffe. 

I'm intrigued by Steam-Powered Giraffe. I'll have to check them out when I get home.

I've enjoyed the Clockwork Quartet, but I only have two songs. I haven't checked lately to see if they released any more. I follow them on Facebook, and they seem to have fun releasing photos of new designs, but I just have those two songs (which I love).
A man has no signature

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 11:52:42 am »

Passion Pit is pretty great.  I'm into a lot of alternative rock.  One of my favorite bands is The Airborne Toxic Event, but I have been kinda disappointed with their new EP.  Thier second album is their best.  I also really like Two Door Cinema Club and Phoenix's new album is pretty good too.  Panic! at the Disco and Fun. (first album, not as much their second) are also pretty great.

I'm not into rap, however, Twenty One Pilots is one of my favorite artists right now.  They rap, but they are clean and their lyrics are really deep.  And it's not just rap, they also mix in singing and actually play piano and drums.  Guns for Hands is probably one of their best songs, and there's only a short section of rapping.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 03:48:41 pm »
+1

I like all kinds of music, but tend to rock, hard rock and metal. I like tons of popular bands, like Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers. I'm starting to get into Progressive rock a little bit. The Mars Volta are one of my favorite bands. They play prog-rock influenced my latin amercian music, and combine many other types.
>songs
I usually listen to whole albums and don't pay much attention to individual songs
If you like whole albums, try listening to "Frances the Mute" by the Mars Volta. It is a concept album, and all flows very well together with good transitions. It's probably their most Latin influenced album, but it's got a lot of nice and loud parts too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqWqedEaD0I

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 08:11:02 pm »

Archetype and AHoppy,
I have very similar music tastes to both of you. I've been listening to more electronic pop stuff lately, but I've pretty into Indie / Alternative bands for awhile now as well. Some of my favorite bands are Phoenix, Ra Ra Riot, Daft Punk, Yelle, Bombay Bicycle Club, Two Door Cinema Club, Passion Pit, TV on the Radio...the list goes on and on.

And, of course, 90's music never gets old.

Also enjoy the Lumineers, and the following video made me laugh a lot...anyone who enjoys them will enjoy this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPftVQwyPs0

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 02:33:14 pm »

Oh, I forgot to mention, I can play several video game, homestuck, and clannad songs on the piano as well.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 11:28:22 am »

If you like whole albums, try listening to "Frances the Mute" by the Mars Volta. It is a concept album, and all flows very well together with good transitions. It's probably their most Latin influenced album, but it's got a lot of nice and loud parts too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqWqedEaD0I
This was pretty good, thanks for the recommendation.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 09:30:53 pm »

I'm positive that Yoshu Fukushu by Maximum The Hormone is the best musical release this year. Probably better than anything released last year, too.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 05:26:50 pm »

I'm positive that Yoshu Fukushu by Maximum The Hormone is the best musical release this year. Probably better than anything released last year, too.

The video doesn't work. The new Queens of the Stone Age album was really kickass though, if you like that kind of stuff.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 05:20:03 pm »

Piano Guys? Anyone?
Pandora thinks I like them, apparently.

I'm a big Beatles fan, some other bands I like are Cake, the Killers, Coldplay, and the White Stripes.

It would be hard to choose my favorite songs, maybe I'll post a top 20 or 50 or something list later.

HLennartz

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 08:30:51 pm »

Does anyone else here use last.fm? It's probably the most efficient way of answering the question "What sort of music do you like?" I absolutely love the scrobbling, stats, and user tag-based radio. I've had my account since 2004: http://www.last.fm/user/rainbowinabox

My favorite kind of music is both structurally complex and interesting, as well as ear-pleasingly "beautiful." My favorite artists run through all sorts of genres, from jazz to bluegrass to pop, connected by a difficult to describe "certain something."

I also listen to a lot of soundtracks from favorite games, anime. etc. I like to class it as "Pavlovian Music." It doesn't just please you by being objectively good, but also has pleasant associations in your mind to some scene or subculture. I think a lot of the droll, more hipster-ish indie music works along the same principles.

StrongRhino

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 10:25:17 pm »

I do occasionally listen to video game music, and I actually own the soundtrack (PPPPPP by Souleye) of VVVVVV.

Sometimes I listen to Minecraft parodies or original songs, and most are rubbish, but every now and then you get a gem, and it's awesome.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 10:49:56 pm »

I do occasionally listen to video game music, and I actually own the soundtrack (PPPPPP by Souleye) of VVVVVV.

Sometimes I listen to Minecraft parodies or original songs, and most are rubbish, but every now and then you get a gem, and it's awesome.

Like Fallen Kingdom?

StrongRhino

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 10:57:27 pm »

Like Fallen Kingdom?
Yeah, that ones one of my favorites, the more recent "End Song" is both original and very good as well. I kinda liked "Grieferman" (parody of Gentleman) too.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 10:59:14 pm »

Does anyone else here use last.fm?

yup. a bunch of us posted our profiles pages in the first iteration of a music discussion thread here.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.