Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1176397 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #4675 on: July 27, 2014, 02:34:35 am »

Because of a conversation with my brother, I'm curious, to you who play video games, what do you look for in a video game?  My brother makes a game for fun and says that his weakest parts, storytelling and map design, are what everybody looks for in a game.  I would think good gameplay is what you should look for in a game.  So, what do you look for in a game?
It's hard to say. If you can figure out what (Group A) games do well, and (Group B) do poorly, then you may decipher what I look for in a video game.

Group A - Perfect Dark, Fallout 3, Portal, Skyrim, Dead Space, (GTA V)

Group B - Call of Duty, Halo, Dark Souls, Crackdown, GTA 3, Smash Bros

I haven't figured out a pattern yet.

I also didn't include PC games which is basically RCT & AoE vs everything else.

I do know that I immensely dislike online multiplayer anything. I will do split screen or LAN parties, but never like playing online. (I actually dislike Dominion online quite a bit as well.)

Group A feels like a more immersive set, where atmosphere and back story in the game is important. Group B seems more gameplay focused - who the hell cares about the plot for CoD, you're here for the FPS.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4676 on: July 27, 2014, 08:39:30 am »

well I'll watch it (if it's good). but i doubt that it will change much.

Just so you know, it takes a few episodes for anybody to start to like it.  And, watch a sub, not the dub.  They chose horrible voices for the dub.

And, the second season is what makes them really amazing.
After Story is the most boring thing by Kyoto Animation ever. And I watched every single episode of Endless Eight. It is not recommended to expect too much of it, but the first season is definitely worth watching.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: July 27, 2014, 10:24:18 am »

Because of a conversation with my brother, I'm curious, to you who play video games, what do you look for in a video game?  My brother makes a game for fun and says that his weakest parts, storytelling and map design, are what everybody looks for in a game.  I would think good gameplay is what you should look for in a game.  So, what do you look for in a game?

I may or may not be your target audience for this question... but I'll take a swing.

I play mostly strategy games.  The last ground FPS I played was GoldenEye on N64... so nearly 20 years ago.  I do enjoy space FPS; Freespace 2 is still one of my favorites, and I'm still salivating over Star Citizen.  But most of my game play is either Grand Strategy (4X), RTS (this includes TD games), and Puzzle... which is a very broad category that includes Roguelikes, Engineering games (Spacechem), Portal, and even KOL, which is a social optimization game.

The main feature that connects these is gameplay, which necessarily includes level design.  But nethack, KOL, Spacechem, and Civ 5 almost entirely ignore aesthetics and story in favor of gameplay, complexity, and in the case of KOL silly puns and pop culture references.

Similarly, I don't give a damn about the art in Dominion, Hearthstone, MTG, or any other physical game, as long as the art doesn't interfere with gameplay.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: July 27, 2014, 10:49:35 am »
+1

The last ground FPS I played was GoldenEye on N64... so nearly 20 years ago.

That wasn't ... crap. I feel old now. 1997 was 17 years ago.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: July 27, 2014, 12:08:21 pm »

The last I played was Halo. I recently got an N64 and Goldeneye and wow... it's not as good as I remembered.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4680 on: July 27, 2014, 12:18:26 pm »

Really? I still enjoy playing it. Perfect Dark is the better game, but I still play GE007.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: July 27, 2014, 12:21:10 pm »

The last I played was Halo. I recently got an N64 and Goldeneye and wow... it's not as good as I remembered.
To this day, I'd willing to replay the single player campaign. In case you're not aware, Perfect Dark for N64 is VERY similar to GoldenEye except it plays a lot smoother and features more dialog. Even the time-attack based unlocks follow the same difficulty pattern (med-hard-easy-med-hard-easy-etc).

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: July 27, 2014, 12:33:16 pm »

GoldenEye was the first FPS to introduce multiplayer on a split screen.  That was a huge thing that meant we could overlook the awful graphics and mediocre gameplay.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: July 27, 2014, 12:34:15 pm »

I may or may not be your target audience for this question... but I'll take a swing.

I play mostly strategy games.  The last ground FPS I played was GoldenEye on N64... so nearly 20 years ago.  I do enjoy space FPS; Freespace 2 is still one of my favorites, and I'm still salivating over Star Citizen.  But most of my game play is either Grand Strategy (4X), RTS (this includes TD games), and Puzzle... which is a very broad category that includes Roguelikes, Engineering games (Spacechem), Portal, and even KOL, which is a social optimization game.

The main feature that connects these is gameplay, which necessarily includes level design.  But nethack, KOL, Spacechem, and Civ 5 almost entirely ignore aesthetics and story in favor of gameplay, complexity, and in the case of KOL silly puns and pop culture references.

Similarly, I don't give a damn about the art in Dominion, Hearthstone, MTG, or any other physical game, as long as the art doesn't interfere with gameplay.
It's strange. I always thought of myself as not caring about graphics, but there are some games where they really help with immersiveness. I would like to add that any RPG style game should have good map design. Dull map design is one of the things that ruined Xenogears for me, along with very slow scrolling dialog that as far as I know can't be sped up.

I don't care much for the art in strategy heavy games (like the Civilization series). In fact, strategy games like Chess and Stratego (and Dominion) are usually analysed at the most abstract level. Puzzle games too. For what it's worth, I really enjoy the light-hearthed self-mocking humour of Hearthstone, where even the most terrifying Warcraft creatures get humourous flavour text.

On a side note, I believe ideas for stories and game concepts are best sought from beyond the world of video games, but ideas on how to refineme gameplay and UI come from playing lots of games yourself. A couple lines of code worth on changes can go a long way to improving the game experience.

Parting words of inspiration: Flappy Bird.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: July 27, 2014, 12:35:39 pm »

GoldenEye was the first FPS to introduce multiplayer on a split screen.  That was a huge thing that meant we could overlook the awful graphics and mediocre gameplay.
Graphics and overall gameplay are where I feel Perfect Dark improves on the recipe formulated by GE007.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4685 on: July 27, 2014, 12:54:26 pm »

The last FPS I played was the new Wolfenstein, but I dropped it pretty soon because it didn't run on my computer as smoothly as it should have, for some reason. The one before that was Crysis. Usually I prefer 2D shooters; Netmatch, for instance, is a wonderful game. Too bad nobody plays it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: July 27, 2014, 01:36:41 pm »

You guys are all forgetting about the greatest game ever:  FIFA
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: July 27, 2014, 04:04:34 pm »

A couple lines of code worth on changes can go a long way to improving the game experience.

Or, in my case, a bajillion lines of code...  My brother uses RPG Maker to make the game (it isn't RPG though), and he doesn't know how to program, so when it comes to the extra programming, I have to do it all, and there's a lot he wants me to do...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4688 on: July 27, 2014, 04:17:02 pm »

A couple lines of code worth on changes can go a long way to improving the game experience.

Or, in my case, a bajillion lines of code...  My brother uses RPG Maker to make the game (it isn't RPG though), and he doesn't know how to program, so when it comes to the extra programming, I have to do it all, and there's a lot he wants me to do...
Why would you use RPG Maker for anything that isn't an RPG? I think it would probably be easier to just learn how to program with a simple language that's designed for game creation, or Game Maker if programming is out of the question.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: July 27, 2014, 04:24:21 pm »

Why would you use RPG Maker for anything that isn't an RPG? I think it would probably be easier to just learn how to program with a simple language that's designed for game creation, or Game Maker if programming is out of the question.

It originally was an RPG, but he didn't like the battle system so he dropped it.  He likes the interface, and doesn't like programming.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4690 on: July 27, 2014, 04:26:36 pm »

doesn't like programming.
Is this even possible?

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: July 27, 2014, 05:14:23 pm »

You mean Baseball Stars, right?  Because Baseball Stars.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: July 27, 2014, 05:45:10 pm »
+1

Pretty sure he meant Mutant League Football.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: July 27, 2014, 05:49:06 pm »
+2

Pretty sure he meant Mutant League Football.

Golden Axe?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: July 27, 2014, 06:49:03 pm »
+1

Guys stop it! I candle handle all the memories! Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Pogs, my first kiss, riding my bike around the block naked and crashing into a parked truck.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #4695 on: July 27, 2014, 07:04:19 pm »
+3

pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: July 27, 2014, 07:06:56 pm »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: July 27, 2014, 10:01:46 pm »
+6

On the topic of video game graphics...

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: July 27, 2014, 10:19:02 pm »
+8

basketball.jpg
His head is really in the game.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: July 27, 2014, 10:20:36 pm »
+5

basketball.jpg
His head is really in the game.

I guess neither of them plays for the Clippers.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 17 queries.