Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1176396 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3271
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #4625 on: July 24, 2014, 05:00:25 pm »

i didn't know it about chrome either, but it really fits google to do something like that

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: July 24, 2014, 09:20:02 pm »

How resource intensive is it?  well, I have 4 tabs open, so you tell me

And I don't have a beefy computer.  I'm stuck with the free one my school gave me.  I mean, I'm not complaining, it's free.  But it also can't handle a ton

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: July 24, 2014, 09:24:52 pm »

I believe Chrome also has seperate processes for each plug-in and extension, and one for the renderer as well.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: July 24, 2014, 09:27:02 pm »

f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: July 24, 2014, 10:19:05 pm »

And I don't have a beefy computer.  I'm stuck with the free one my school gave me.  I mean, I'm not complaining, it's free.  But it also can't handle a ton

To be fair to Chrome here, my Firefox is currently using more memory than that, even though it just shows up as one process.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: July 24, 2014, 10:28:11 pm »

(picture)

To be fair to Chrome here, my Firefox is currently using more memory than that, even though it just shows up as one process.
Huh.  Didn't realize that, but maybe all this does have more to do with the plugins installed?  I don't know.  I just know my computer's fan runs all the time, which happens when it's being taxed and the only thing I almost always have up is chrome.  Closing chrome usually turns the fan off.  Also, I know I do need to get the fan blown out...  Maybe that will improve my results more

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: July 25, 2014, 12:52:58 am »

(picture)

Huh.  Didn't realize that, but maybe all this does have more to do with the plugins installed?  I don't know.  I just know my computer's fan runs all the time, which happens when it's being taxed and the only thing I almost always have up is chrome.  Closing chrome usually turns the fan off.  Also, I know I do need to get the fan blown out...  Maybe that will improve my results more

Depends how old your computer is. Chrome never uses this much for me, but my old computer had the fan going when I used a browser.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: July 25, 2014, 07:49:53 pm »

i just had a game with fv and rabble and BoM. my op randomly imitated a pirate ship with his BoM, even though I hadn't bought a single silver (and he had no way of knowing what to hit). he ended up hitting 2 action cards and hurting me, but it would've helped me a lot on average.

after that we talked

silverspawn ahm
silverspawn the only treasure card you could have hit was copper
silverspawn and if you did you wouldve helped me a lot
skilledyou ???
silverspawn wiht pirate ship
skilledyou and it would not have helped me
skilledyou the only one
silverspawn no
skilledyou u hgot 7
skilledyou lol
silverspawn yea and trashing one means i have one less junk card
skilledyou sure
skilledyou and ?
skilledyou lol\
silverspawn so you helped me
silverspawn or you would have
silverspawn its not a good idea to help your opponent in dominion
skilledyou k thx to let me know
skilledyou i didnt knew
skilledyou lol
silverspawn well why did you did it then
skilledyou that
skilledyou was ironic
skilledyou i know exactly what i been doing
skilledyou and i will do it again
skilledyou if i need to
silverspawn helping me by trying to trash coppers?
skilledyou omg
skilledyou if i want to trasah
skilledyou all your copper
skilledyou awith shi
skilledyou p
skilledyou can i ?
silverspawn no
skilledyou is it allowwed or not
skilledyou ok good to know
silverspawn yes
silverspawn it is
skilledyou then next time
silverspawn but
skilledyou put on yyour game
silverspawn you cant realistically make it
silverspawn ????
skilledyou not allowed to trash copper
skilledyou iwth ship
silverspawn you are allowed
silverspawn but you wont get enough to make it worth it
skilledyou lol
skilledyou yesd obv
skilledyou if i already missed the frist time i did it
skilledyou lol
silverspawn yes so why did you do it?
silverspawn i really wanna know
skilledyou i am talking
skilledyou thx
skilledyou done
skilledyou i mean
*** skilledyou has left the game.

can someone explain this to me?  ??? i have no idea what he was trying to say

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: July 25, 2014, 08:03:59 pm »
+2

It looks to me as if he didn't really like you giving him the advice that you gave.  And then got defensive about it and left.  I wouldn't read too much into it.  Maybe he thought you were being rude and criticizing him.  I know I am always up for advice on how I played poorly or should have done something different, but that is not always the case with everyone.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: July 25, 2014, 08:55:26 pm »

while we're at the topic: how much advise should you give others? it seems like a waste not to say something if your op is doing an obvious mistake, but it's also kind of weird to just give advise out of nowhere. you could ask "should i tell you something you did wrong", but that sounds kind of arrogant. what I'm currently doing is basically say something if it was an incredibly obvious mistake, like the pirate thing, and otherwise keep quiet. but I haven't really figured it out yet.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #4635 on: July 25, 2014, 09:10:44 pm »
+2

while we're at the topic: how much advise should you give others? it seems like a waste not to say something if your op is doing an obvious mistake, but it's also kind of weird to just give advise out of nowhere. you could ask "should i tell you something you did wrong", but that sounds kind of arrogant. what I'm currently doing is basically say something if it was an incredibly obvious mistake, like the pirate thing, and otherwise keep quiet. but I haven't really figured it out yet.

You could ask, "Do you want some advice?"  It doesn't sound as arrogant.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: July 25, 2014, 09:22:20 pm »

I've had games where I gave advice, and they reply by complaining that they had bad luck, implying that it was luck alone that mattered. Sure, could be true, but you don't have a good sense of your opponent's luck a lot of the time so it seems counterproductive...if you're at the level where you notice when your opponent is getting an unlucky shuffle you probably already know that there are things you could have done better no matter what the luck is.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: July 26, 2014, 02:49:10 am »
+1

I generally only discuss/give strategy advice to people from f.ds. Then again, I've played very little outside of GokoDom/League matches in the past year. It might be better to word things as a question, like "Why'd you choose to use BoM as Pirate Ship there?"
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4638 on: July 26, 2014, 04:54:09 am »
+1

It's happening. Soon we will all get banned.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?action=profile;u=2737
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: July 26, 2014, 09:24:25 am »

Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4640 on: July 26, 2014, 09:28:50 am »
+2

And then you can discard their best card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: July 26, 2014, 09:30:48 am »

I agree with this. Some people can't take critisizm of any kind. I know you're trying to help but really it's better just to say nothing.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #4642 on: July 26, 2014, 10:24:00 am »
+2

Pretty much every time I offer someone advice (or even say anything) they get salty about it, so I just don't even talk in games anymore unless they talk first.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: July 26, 2014, 11:31:58 am »

I present it like "gg, not sure the whole ship thing was worth it." This way it puts it up for debat, and not me telling them why they suck. They can defend their play, and can say why I think it wasn't a goo play.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: July 26, 2014, 01:06:42 pm »

It's happening. Soon we will all get banned.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?action=profile;u=2737

Ha yes!

I wish that was me, but it's better if theory made that account.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: July 26, 2014, 05:07:36 pm »

Because of a conversation with my brother, I'm curious, to you who play video games, what do you look for in a video game?  My brother makes a game for fun and says that his weakest parts, storytelling and map design, are what everybody looks for in a game.  I would think good gameplay is what you should look for in a game.  So, what do you look for in a game?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: July 26, 2014, 05:25:57 pm »

Because of a conversation with my brother, I'm curious, to you who play video games, what do you look for in a video game?  My brother makes a game for fun and says that his weakest parts, storytelling and map design, are what everybody looks for in a game.  I would think good gameplay is what you should look for in a game.  So, what do you look for in a game?

Gameplay, but this it tied very much to the maps and levels. I don't know if you played Dishonored, but that game would be terrible if the maps were not as good as they are. Story is secondary and in fact, the only game ever to have a good story is Bioshock: Infinite. And by good story I mean one that is good for something other than a video game.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: July 26, 2014, 05:32:52 pm »

Hmm, I look for games that excel in multiple aspects (not necessarily the same ones each time), so I guess that translates to overall good "production values".

However, good gameplay is essential, and smooth flow and UI are great for not getting frustrated. I remember the teacher's assistant for my intro to game dev course emphasized replayability. Replay value is big as well. Variety and viable different game paths are neat too.

Innovative mechanics and amazingly original storylines are not nessecarily needed to make a great game.

Take all that together, you get something like League of Legends. Nothing really original there, and not much variety in level design. That doesn't stop it from being immensely addictive.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: July 26, 2014, 05:34:13 pm »

Gameplay, but this it tied very much to the maps and levels. I don't know if you played Dishonored, but that game would be terrible if the maps were not as good as they are. Story is secondary and in fact, the only game ever to have a good story is Bioshock: Infinite. And by good story I mean one that is good for something other than a video game.
I guess it depends on the genre too. Good map design is a must for First-person shooters. Good enemy arrangement is a big deal for side-scrolling shooters.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 18 queries.