Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1176348 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #4775 on: August 07, 2014, 02:44:01 pm »

Also, Silverspawn, I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes people just change. Also, it might not be your fault, since Facebook does weird things. Ever since it was revealed that statuses weren't showing up not because of bad code but because of deliberate code, I don't take anything for granted. Hell, even before that happened, I knew that people were spontaneously being unfriended without notification. This can lead people to thinking the other person snubbed them unless they can talk with that person about it (which is how I learned that it happens).
I just read up on this now. So what, about 4/5ths of your followers won't see a given status update unless you pay pet post to promote the message? Da hell is up with that? And now the mobile app moved personal chat to another app that can apparently hijack your phone if it wants?

Ugh, this all makes me want to use Facebook a lot less. I still need it to communicate with groups though.

Why would you be outraged at this? That's like being mad at Gmail for not sending your emails to random people in your address book, even people you didn't send it the email to. 

If you want someone in particular to see your Facebook update, you can tag them in it.  And if someone visits your profile, they will see all your updates.  And even if neither are applicable, if the story is active or interesting enough, Facebook will move it up in your friends' News Feeds.
The issue I was describing doesn't affect me in any way since I only send posts to close friends, for the reasons you describe. That doesn't mean no one else is being screwed over here. Any small business that relies on exposure to outsiders liking their pages loses lots of traffic. I assume most users like many different pages to follow their posts. They're expected to check the home page of those sites every time a new post might be there?

It would explain why the daily posts of a restautant I follow don't show up every day. Of course. I don't follow much else, so I can check out the page myself.

It appears this is old news, as the article I found on it was dated 2012. Has the situation changed since then?
http://touch.dangerousminds.net/all/facebook_i_want_my_friends_back#1

For the record, I think the messenger app will probably be fine enough in the end.

The small business does not necessarily lose a lot of traffic, since without some filtering my feed would be so flooded that I likely wouldn't have seen  the small business's post anyhow.  Essentially, when I log onto facebook I'm going to read approximately X posts.  If my friends and liked pages have posted more than X posts, then I am not going to see all of them.  It is in facebook's own interest that the X posts I see are ones that I will enjoy enough to continue using facebook in the future.
Well you *do* need a signature...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: August 07, 2014, 02:46:00 pm »

Also, Silverspawn, I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes people just change. Also, it might not be your fault, since Facebook does weird things. Ever since it was revealed that statuses weren't showing up not because of bad code but because of deliberate code, I don't take anything for granted. Hell, even before that happened, I knew that people were spontaneously being unfriended without notification. This can lead people to thinking the other person snubbed them unless they can talk with that person about it (which is how I learned that it happens).
I just read up on this now. So what, about 4/5ths of your followers won't see a given status update unless you pay pet post to promote the message? Da hell is up with that? And now the mobile app moved personal chat to another app that can apparently hijack your phone if it wants?

Ugh, this all makes me want to use Facebook a lot less. I still need it to communicate with groups though.

Why would you be outraged at this? That's like being mad at Gmail for not sending your emails to random people in your address book, even people you didn't send it the email to. 

If you want someone in particular to see your Facebook update, you can tag them in it.  And if someone visits your profile, they will see all your updates.  And even if neither are applicable, if the story is active or interesting enough, Facebook will move it up in your friends' News Feeds.

Speaking from an armchair (is this an expression?)...

It's an interesting problem of content curation that Facebook has to deal with here.  From an individual perspective, I intuit that something I post publicly should be visible to all of my friends by virtue of us having "connected" on Facebook.  That link is like a pipeline between us, my content should be shuttled to that other person, and vice versa.  Perhaps a better analogy -- Facebook is like a bulletin board where I can post messages that I want all of my friends to see.

The fact that Facebook prevents this message from reaching all of my friends is akin to my posted message being torn down against my will.  I posted it for everyone to see, but now you're not letting them see it?  How dare you?

From a practical perspective, this is ludicrous.  There are so many messages being posted that nobody will be able to see all of them.  Some will inevitably be buried.  Instead of letting it be an unchecked free-for-all, Facebook tries to bump up items that it thinks will interest you more.  There are pros and cons to this, but I have armchaired enough for now.

This is only concerning the personal updates stuff.  All the stuff with actual advertising fraud and like-click-farms is a whole other can of worms.

(semi-ninja'd)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: August 07, 2014, 02:53:16 pm »

I have recently actually begun to enjoy the fact that facebook has been putting all of my "favorite" things at the top.  I see all of the things I care about right away, then there's all of that other stuff that I still look at below it.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4778 on: August 07, 2014, 02:56:26 pm »

There's an option to view your unfiltered, raw news feed.  For obvious reasons, no one does that.  It's just too much freakin' information.

Claiming Facebook censors posts from your friends is like claiming that Google censors some search results from you by burying them on page 2 or page 3.  It "censors" them only in the sense that it must prioritize some stories and therefore deprioritize some others.  As you interact with what you see, you educate its ranking systems and it will adapt accordingly -- if there's some small restaurant that you read every story of, it will start showing every post of that restaurant.  If you always skip over Uncle Joe's Conspiracy Rants, it will start de-emphasizing his stories except for the ones that are extremely popular.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: August 07, 2014, 03:01:41 pm »

The issue I was describing doesn't affect me in any way since I only send posts to close friends, for the reasons you describe. That doesn't mean no one else is being screwed over here. Any small business that relies on exposure to outsiders liking their pages loses lots of traffic. I assume most users like many different pages to follow their posts. They're expected to check the home page of those sites every time a new post might be there?

It would explain why the daily posts of a restautant I follow don't show up every day. Of course. I don't follow much else, so I can check out the page myself.

It appears this is old news, as the article I found on it was dated 2012. Has the situation changed since then?
http://touch.dangerousminds.net/all/facebook_i_want_my_friends_back#1

For the record, I think the messenger app will probably be fine enough in the end.

The small business does not necessarily lose a lot of traffic, since without some filtering my feed would be so flooded that I likely wouldn't have seen  the small business's post anyhow.  Essentially, when I log onto facebook I'm going to read approximately X posts.  If my friends and liked pages have posted more than X posts, then I am not going to see all of them.  It is in facebook's own interest that the X posts I see are ones that I will enjoy enough to continue using facebook in the future.
Okay, that makes more sense. A result of Facebook's own popularity it seems. The result is that it's hard to follow all of your friends and liked pages, even if they're few in number. That encourages personal connection rather than broad connections for advertising/exposure purposes.

There's a new post by Theory above me. That's actually useful info, but I still feel Facebook isn't providing the awesome exposure it supposedly can create.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: August 07, 2014, 03:13:40 pm »

It's an interesting problem of content curation that Facebook has to deal with here.  From an individual perspective, I intuit that something I post publicly should be visible to all of my friends by virtue of us having "connected" on Facebook.  That link is like a pipeline between us, my content should be shuttled to that other person, and vice versa.  Perhaps a better analogy -- Facebook is like a bulletin board where I can post messages that I want all of my friends to see.

The fact that Facebook prevents this message from reaching all of my friends is akin to my posted message being torn down against my will.  I posted it for everyone to see, but now you're not letting them see it?  How dare you?

From a practical perspective, this is ludicrous.  There are so many messages being posted that nobody will be able to see all of them.  Some will inevitably be buried.  Instead of letting it be an unchecked free-for-all, Facebook tries to bump up items that it thinks will interest you more.  There are pros and cons to this, but I have armchaired enough for now.

This is only concerning the personal updates stuff.  All the stuff with actual advertising fraud and like-click-farms is a whole other can of worms.

(semi-ninja'd)

It is only on the newsfeed that this filtering happens.  Anyone who is interested in what you've been up to can still check out your wall.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: August 07, 2014, 03:15:53 pm »

If you always skip over Uncle Joe's Conspiracy Rants, it will start de-emphasizing his stories except for the ones that are extremely popular.

There was one facebook friend that posted about 3845938 things a day, all of which I wasn't interested in.  I was thinking that they would eventually fall to the bottom of my news feed, but they just kept on posting things, and it seemed to somehow get worse.  That is the only person that I've unfollowed or whatever it's called.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4782 on: August 07, 2014, 04:49:07 pm »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: August 07, 2014, 05:05:19 pm »
+1

If you always skip over Uncle Joe's Conspiracy Rants, it will start de-emphasizing his stories except for the ones that are extremely popular.

There was one facebook friend that posted about 3845938 things a day, all of which I wasn't interested in.  I was thinking that they would eventually fall to the bottom of my news feed, but they just kept on posting things, and it seemed to somehow get worse.  That is the only person that I've unfollowed or whatever it's called.

I unfollowed someone (not unfriended) because I couldn't stand to see all the "vaccinations are bad" and "Alkaline foods can kill cancer" posts they kept on sharing.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4784 on: August 07, 2014, 11:37:58 pm »

There's an option to view your unfiltered, raw news feed.  For obvious reasons, no one does that.  It's just too much freakin' information.

Claiming Facebook censors posts from your friends is like claiming that Google censors some search results from you by burying them on page 2 or page 3.  It "censors" them only in the sense that it must prioritize some stories and therefore deprioritize some others.  As you interact with what you see, you educate its ranking systems and it will adapt accordingly -- if there's some small restaurant that you read every story of, it will start showing every post of that restaurant.  If you always skip over Uncle Joe's Conspiracy Rants, it will start de-emphasizing his stories except for the ones that are extremely popular.
Facebook does seem to reset my news feed from "Most Recent" back to "Top Stories" quite frequently. I don't have very many friends/liked pages so it's pretty easy to follow things. I don't like Facebook telling me what I want to see.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #4785 on: August 08, 2014, 03:38:47 am »
+5

8/8, let's celebrate!

Happy Birthday Robz!!!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4786 on: August 08, 2014, 10:43:04 am »

I'm not Zong, I haven't even been able to use a computer for 9 days! I've been following the Dominion League and some new threads on the Dominion General forum with my phone, but browsing f.ds is inconvenient on a phone and I'm way too lazy to switch users.

I might or might not have been a number of other users with low post counts and high respect/post ratios though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: August 08, 2014, 10:45:11 am »
+3

Anyone else seen this yet? http://www.twitch.tv/fishplayspokemon
It's just so insanely stupid, but I think it's really funny that he named his Charmander nearly the same as Twitch plays Pokemon did.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: August 08, 2014, 10:50:50 am »

It's just so insanely stupid, but I think it's really funny that he named his Charmander nearly the same as Twitch plays Pokemon did.

I think it's funnier he actually named it. I mean this is just random and will never end. Twitch plays pokemon was funny because it was an example of how a hive-mind can form and eventually accomplish something through chaos.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: August 08, 2014, 11:11:02 am »

I think it's funnier he actually named it. I mean this is just random and will never end. Twitch plays pokemon was funny because it was an example of how a hive-mind can form and eventually accomplish something through chaos.
That fish won't live forever though.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: August 08, 2014, 11:13:23 am »

This is cool.  Should set up a camera on a busy intersection and do Traffic plays Pokemon.  Count number of cars passing exiting each direction over some time interval to determine the direction.  Or using pedestrians in New York.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1195
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: August 08, 2014, 12:46:25 pm »
+2

Fun fact of the week: Random Stuff backwards is ffutS modnaR.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: August 08, 2014, 12:54:53 pm »
+4

Fun fact of the week: Random Stuff backwards is ffutS modnaR.

Random Stuff si sdrawkcab ffutS modnaR :keew eht fo tcaf nuF

ffutS modnaR

• Pawn
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: August 08, 2014, 12:55:32 pm »
+16

I HAVE BEEN AWAKENED...
Devour, destroy

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: August 08, 2014, 12:59:53 pm »
+1

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1195
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: August 08, 2014, 01:07:53 pm »

Who could have predicted that a fact so fun could awaken a terror so terrifying.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4796 on: August 08, 2014, 01:16:40 pm »

Quick, we need King Zong to ban him!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZong3

• Pawn
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: August 08, 2014, 01:59:01 pm »

Woah. Sorry guys, you're on your own

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: August 08, 2014, 03:02:17 pm »
+2

#t=117

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: August 08, 2014, 03:14:27 pm »

I HAVE BEEN AWAKENED...

Hey, is that avatar one of the giant creatures from the movie "The Mist" based on Stephen King's novel of the same name?
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 17 queries.