Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1176350 times)

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #4750 on: August 04, 2014, 01:18:32 pm »
+1

vote: Awaclus

Vote Count 1.0

Awaclus (1): AndrewisFTTW

Not voting: Everyone else

It takes 3 to confirm KingZong3's identity.

Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: August 04, 2014, 01:51:46 pm »

The google doodle is about Mr. Venn. His wikipedia page seems to think he A BOSS 2!!!!!!!!!!11111 LOL :O

EDIT: I took a screen shot, but it's no longer in the article, so you'll have to ask me to post it if you want to see.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:40:12 pm by KingZog3 »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: August 04, 2014, 06:02:03 pm »
+11

http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2014/algorithm-recovers-speech-from-vibrations-0804

This is both really cool and pretty frightening.  Researchers at MIT recorded a potato chip bag with a highspeed camera through soundproof glass.  By analyzing the vibrations in the visual recording, they were able to reconstruct the human speech.  They used a modified method to recover a decent approximation of the sound even with a commercial non-highspeed camera.

I wonder if this will be a common app for handheld devices within 10 or 20 years.  Just record a video of a loose object from a distance/through glass, and then your app will be able to reconstruct the nearby voices.
Well you *do* need a signature...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: August 04, 2014, 06:33:11 pm »
+12

http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2014/algorithm-recovers-speech-from-vibrations-0804

This is both really cool and pretty frightening.  Researchers at MIT recorded a potato chip bag with a highspeed camera through soundproof glass.  By analyzing the vibrations in the visual recording, they were able to reconstruct the human speech.  They used a modified method to recover a decent approximation of the sound even with a commercial non-highspeed camera.

I wonder if this will be a common app for handheld devices within 10 or 20 years.  Just record a video of a loose object from a distance/through glass, and then your app will be able to reconstruct the nearby voices.

You neglect to mention until the end of your post that the bag's vibrations are caused by nearby voices. I was under the impression that the technology was able to determine what the bag itself was saying in sounds too faint for human ears to register.

In my defense, that would be both really cool and pretty frightening.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 06:37:01 pm by LastFootnote »

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: August 05, 2014, 10:21:39 am »
+1

I used to smoke that stuff, too.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #4755 on: August 05, 2014, 01:06:45 pm »

I think I finally rid myself of a demonic browser extension/virus that's been plaguing me for days. The processes chromehelper.exe, iehelper.exe, and firefoxhelper.exe would reinstantiate themselves as soon as I terminated them, and it wouldn't let me delete them while they were still open. So I had to end them in task manager, then quickly delete them within a second before they reappeared.

I'm 100% sure there's an easier way to do it than that, foremost being I shouldn't have let my computer get to that state to begin with. But it was very satisfying, my browser runs like twice as fast now and it felt pretty badass ;D
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: August 05, 2014, 02:13:02 pm »
+5

I learned a cool trick today.  If you upgrade to the newest version of Microsoft Office products through Office 365, then you can get those applications to continuously crash.  Steps to replicate:

1) Upgrade to Office 2013
2) Open a program
3) Watch it crash

Also, they're linked in a cool way where if any one application within this suite crashes (say, Word), it also crashes all other ones that are open.  That's a feature.

Edit: Oh yeah and makes everything else super laggy.   

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: August 05, 2014, 02:19:49 pm »
+1

I think I finally rid myself of a demonic browser extension/virus that's been plaguing me for days. The processes chromehelper.exe, iehelper.exe, and firefoxhelper.exe would reinstantiate themselves as soon as I terminated them, and it wouldn't let me delete them while they were still open. So I had to end them in task manager, then quickly delete them within a second before they reappeared.

I'm 100% sure there's an easier way to do it than that, foremost being I shouldn't have let my computer get to that state to begin with. But it was very satisfying, my browser runs like twice as fast now and it felt pretty badass ;D

I recommend running chromehelperhelper.exe

Caution:  that is only a terrible joke.  If such a file does exist, I do not endorse running it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: August 05, 2014, 02:26:37 pm »

I recommend running chromehelperhelper.exe

Caution:  that is only a terrible joke.  If such a file does exist, I do not endorse running it.

Pretty sure you could just rune chromehelper.exe.  Problem with Chrome, run chromehelper.exe.  It checks out.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: August 05, 2014, 03:19:04 pm »

It checks out
Using that credit card you didn't even know you had!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3270
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: August 06, 2014, 06:00:39 pm »

i just had possibly my longest dominion game of all time, because my opponent build a terrible golem-advisor-cellar-trade route-monument-saboteur engine that didn't hit 8$ until his last turn, while i played a deck with golems and just monuments as other action cards and needed less than 10 second for each turn. and he also refused to resign even though he clearly could never catch up. he even insisted on playing advisors when there was one card left in his deck several times. .......
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:14:53 pm by silverspawn »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: August 06, 2014, 07:06:00 pm »

i just had possibly my longest dominion game of all time, because my opponent build a terrible golem-advisor-cellar-trade route-monument-saboteur engine that didn't hit 8$ until his last turn, while i played a deck with golems and just monuments as other action cards and needed less than 10 second for each turn. and he also refused to resign even though he clearly could never catch up. he even insisted on playing advisors when there was one card left in his deck several times. .......

Some people play like 5 tournaments in a row after I show a province. Dude, am I going to forget this time?

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: August 06, 2014, 07:23:57 pm »

Some people play like 5 tournaments in a row after I show a province. Dude, am I going to forget this time?

Edge cases: Peddler, Menagerie, draw to X, conspirator, Count, Horse Traders, Mandarin, Salvager (or any TFB that gives another bonus), Masquerade (or any draw then trash card that gives another bonus) with an empty deck, Shanty Town, Minion (if you don't want them in the shuffle), Island, multiple Schemes, and, of course, multiple Provinces

:-p
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: August 06, 2014, 07:32:38 pm »

Edge cases: Peddler, Menagerie, draw to X, conspirator, Count, Horse Traders, Mandarin, Salvager (or any TFB that gives another bonus), Masquerade (or any draw then trash card that gives another bonus) with an empty deck, Shanty Town, Minion (if you don't want them in the shuffle), Island, multiple Schemes, and, of course, multiple Provinces

:-p

When no edge cases are present. I'm ok if there are edge cases.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: August 07, 2014, 03:26:59 am »
+4

So fun story - I played a game with AI way way back, and was losing very badly. I had 3 Tournaments in hand, and he revealed Province to the first. It was late, and I had nothing to lose, so I played the 2nd. Gets denied instantly. Play the 3rd.

He doesn't block it right away, so I say "Please?" in the chat, very nicely, and after thinking about it he gives me the draw.

Then I play the 4th Tournament I drew, and he blocks it.

In conclusion, AI is a dick.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3270
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: August 07, 2014, 08:34:18 am »

another fun story: i send the invite 2 days ago, but she didn't accept :(

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: August 07, 2014, 08:58:00 am »
+2

Should have sent a handwritten invitation, with roses.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: August 07, 2014, 09:12:48 am »
+1

and chocolate
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: August 07, 2014, 09:13:07 am »
+1

and chocolate

And mariachi band.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: August 07, 2014, 10:13:22 am »
+7

and chocolate

And mariachi band.
And a message that reads "I named my vacuum cleaner after you."

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4770 on: August 07, 2014, 10:47:23 am »
+1

and chocolate

And mariachi band.
And a message that reads "I named my vacuum cleaner after you."

I thought this was just an innocuous statement poking fun at obsession.

Then I thought about the ramifications. You are a bad person!

Also, Silverspawn, I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes people just change. Also, it might not be your fault, since Facebook does weird things. Ever since it was revealed that statuses weren't showing up not because of bad code but because of deliberate code, I don't take anything for granted. Hell, even before that happened, I knew that people were spontaneously being unfriended without notification. This can lead people to thinking the other person snubbed them unless they can talk with that person about it (which is how I learned that it happens).
A man has no signature

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: August 07, 2014, 01:51:21 pm »

Also, Silverspawn, I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes people just change. Also, it might not be your fault, since Facebook does weird things. Ever since it was revealed that statuses weren't showing up not because of bad code but because of deliberate code, I don't take anything for granted. Hell, even before that happened, I knew that people were spontaneously being unfriended without notification. This can lead people to thinking the other person snubbed them unless they can talk with that person about it (which is how I learned that it happens).
I just read up on this now. So what, about 4/5ths of your followers won't see a given status update unless you pay pet post to promote the message? Da hell is up with that? And now the mobile app moved personal chat to another app that can apparently hijack your phone if it wants?

Ugh, this all makes me want to use Facebook a lot less. I still need it to communicate with groups though.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4772 on: August 07, 2014, 02:21:30 pm »
+1

I just read up on this now. So what, about 4/5ths of your followers won't see a given status update unless you pay pet post to promote the message? Da hell is up with that? And now the mobile app moved personal chat to another app that can apparently hijack your phone if it wants?

Ugh, this all makes me want to use Facebook a lot less. I still need it to communicate with groups though.

Why would you be outraged at this? That's like being mad at Gmail for not sending your emails to random people in your address book, even people you didn't send it the email to. 

If you want someone in particular to see your Facebook update, you can tag them in it.  And if someone visits your profile, they will see all your updates.  And even if neither are applicable, if the story is active or interesting enough, Facebook will move it up in your friends' News Feeds.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: August 07, 2014, 02:24:01 pm »
+3

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: August 07, 2014, 02:35:27 pm »

Why would you be outraged at this? That's like being mad at Gmail for not sending your emails to random people in your address book, even people you didn't send it the email to. 

If you want someone in particular to see your Facebook update, you can tag them in it.  And if someone visits your profile, they will see all your updates.  And even if neither are applicable, if the story is active or interesting enough, Facebook will move it up in your friends' News Feeds.
The issue I was describing doesn't affect me in any way since I only send posts to close friends, for the reasons you describe. That doesn't mean no one else is being screwed over here. Any small business that relies on exposure to outsiders liking their pages loses lots of traffic. I assume most users like many different pages to follow their posts. They're expected to check the home page of those sites every time a new post might be there?

It would explain why the daily posts of a restautant I follow don't show up every day. Of course. I don't follow much else, so I can check out the page myself.

It appears this is old news, as the article I found on it was dated 2012. Has the situation changed since then?
http://touch.dangerousminds.net/all/facebook_i_want_my_friends_back#1

For the record, I think the messenger app will probably be fine enough in the end.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 02:36:48 pm by markusin »
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 16 queries.