Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card Idea: Junk Collector  (Read 919 times)

axlemn

• Salvager
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
Card Idea: Junk Collector
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:53:39 pm »

I made this to post in the "Really Bad Card Ideas" thread, but then realized that with a little tweaking, it could be workable. 

Cost: $3
Junk Collector

+1 card
+1 buy 
Discard a curse.  If you do, +$3. 

When you buy this card, you may gain a curse. 

I would be happy to see a single "curses are good. Possibly good enough to even buy them" style of card.  I want to add in a "gain a copper" to the "if you do" clause, but then it seems to lend itself quite a lot to Duchy rushing. 

Thoughts? 
Favorite cards: Wharf, Wishing Well, Cartographer, Counting House. 
Least favorite cards: Swindler, Jester, Ghost Ship, Black Market, Fortune Teller

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +943
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Card Idea: Junk Collector
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 01:00:11 pm »

It's a good idea.  In the absence of other cursers, though, this is swingy in the way that all cards are that require specific collisions (Treasure Map, Baron, etc).  And ultimately, I don't think the reward is good enough.  When it hits, then that means two of the five cards in your hand get used to produce 1 card, 1 buy, and $3.  I'd much rather have two Silvers instead, as they'll produce roughly equivalent benefits, not consume an action, can't be drawn dead, won't cost me a VP at the end of the game, and -- most critically -- work even when they don't collide in the same hand.  Of course, you can pick up a Junk Collector and a Curse with a single $3 buy, whereas two Silvers (normally) requires two, so there's that.

In a cursing game, achieving the collision will be much easier.   I can see maybe wanting one of these in such a game.  On the other other hand, cursing games have cursers, and most cursers are terminal, so you'd have to accept the risk of buying another terminal to add to a deck that's already got one.   Often that will be acceptable, but it does somewhat weaken the card further.

I'm not sure how you balance this both for cursing games and non-cursing games, but it probably needs more.  Maybe +$4 when you hit, like Baron, or a stronger bonus regardless of whether it hits or not, like an extra card.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.