Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Molecule Splitter+Ions  (Read 4116 times)

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
Molecule Splitter+Ions
« on: June 17, 2013, 10:22:08 pm »

Positive Ion $0*
Action
Reveal your hand. Discard all Positive Ion cards from your hand.
+2 cards
+1 action
You may play a Negative Ion from your hand.
This is not in the supply

Negative Ion $0*
Action
Reveal your hand. Discard all Negative Ion cards from your hand.
+2 cards
+1 action
You may play a Positive Ion from your hand.
This is not in the supply

Molecule Splitter $5
Action
+1 action
You may trash a card costing $5 or more from your hand. If you do, gain a Positive Ion and a Negative Ion, putting them into your hand.
Credit to quoted.

The Molecule Splitter gives you the ions, basically labs that don't want multiples.
What do you think? Is it too strong? Too weak?

Some nerf ideas I had:
-Don't gain ions in hand
-Ions are discarded after draw
-The "play other ion" clause is removed.
-Remove +1 Action from Molecule Splitter

Ideas for buffing:
-Trashed card costs 4 or more.
-Molecule splitter costs 4

Or possibly some combination of the above.

Another random idea I had is that each Ion has a small individual bonus, like +1 buy or something.

Thoughts?
Again, the original cards are mail-mi's.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Re: Molecule Splitter+Ions
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:28:39 pm »
+1

First time getting my own cards quoted! Yeah!

Anyway, after thinking about it, I'd remove the play another one clause so its like the actual lab.

P.s. notice the subtle connection to lab? All sciency and stuff.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:03:48 pm »

The opportunity cost seems very high.  I pay $5 to buy it, then later when I play it, hopefully I have a $5 card in hand that I don't mind trashing.  The ions are gained to hand, that's nice, but after playing them I still only have a 5-card hand.  It's kind of like a cantrip that turns an expensive card in your deck into two labs.  That doesn't sound so bad, except that I need to have that expensive card in my hand at the time I play it, what are the odds of that, and maybe I would want to be playing that card anyway.

It's hard to say, but I think this would be weak.  It might also be interesting if the ions cost $5*, then they are one of the things that I can trash to get ions.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9190
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 01:26:36 am »

The opportunity cost seems very high.  I pay $5 to buy it, then later when I play it, hopefully I have a $5 card in hand that I don't mind trashing.  The ions are gained to hand, that's nice, but after playing them I still only have a 5-card hand.  It's kind of like a cantrip that turns an expensive card in your deck into two labs.  That doesn't sound so bad, except that I need to have that expensive card in my hand at the time I play it, what are the odds of that, and maybe I would want to be playing that card anyway.

It's hard to say, but I think this would be weak.  It might also be interesting if the ions cost $5*, then they are one of the things that I can trash to get ions.

You would have a 7 card hand at the end.

Play the Splitter, trashing a $5.  Now you have 3 cards in hand.  Gain the two ions in hand.  Now you have 5 cards.  Play each one.  Now you have 7 cards.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 02:07:13 am »

You would have a 7 card hand at the end.

Play the Splitter, trashing a $5.  Now you have 3 cards in hand.  Gain the two ions in hand.  Now you have 5 cards.  Play each one.  Now you have 7 cards.

Ah, that's right.  I double-checked that and still got it wrong.  That's a lot better then, although I'm still guessing the card is weak overall.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 03:32:08 pm »

But, wait. Isn't the 'Discard all copies of this card from your hand' sort of unnecessary? I think you'd play both Ions on the turn you gain them, right? If you don't, you risk them colliding with future copies.

Why don't you change Molecule Splitter so they don't go in your hand? But then you'd have to change the cost a bit differently.

What about:

Molecule Splitter
Cost: 3
Action

+1 Action
Trash a card costing more than this from your hand. Gain a Positive Ion and Negative Ion (placing one into your hand?).

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 04:56:45 pm »
+1

But, wait. Isn't the 'Discard all copies of this card from your hand' sort of unnecessary? I think you'd play both Ions on the turn you gain them, right? If you don't, you risk them colliding with future copies.

Why don't you change Molecule Splitter so they don't go in your hand? But then you'd have to change the cost a bit differently.

What about:

Molecule Splitter
Action

+1 Action
Trash a card costing more than this from your hand. Gain a Positive Ion and Negative Ion (placing one into your hand?).

Hand is PIon x2, NIon x2, and copper. Play NIon, then you have to discard the other NIon.

You don't return them to the pile.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 05:20:33 pm »

Oh! I thought you did have to return them to their pile after playing them. Really interesting card then. I think I'd still make it cost less (4$?) and have them not go into your hand.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 05:55:05 pm »

A possible minor nerf would be to put the discarding after the drawing, so that positive ions can't even draw more positive ions.

StrongRhino

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 10:35:09 pm »

Anyway, after thinking about it, I'd remove the play another one clause so its like the actual lab.

I think this is a good idea.

What about:

Molecule Splitter
Action

+1 Action

That combined with this seems like it would work. I do like putting only one in hand, but we could do both to slightly boost it, and do neither to nerf it if necessary.

I do worry about it being too good only having to trash a 4 or more, but we will see.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 11:50:16 pm »

What about:

Molecule Splitter
Action

+1 Action

That combined with this seems like it would work. I do like putting only one in hand, but we could do both to slightly boost it, and do neither to nerf it if necessary.

I do worry about it being too good only having to trash a 4 or more, but we will see.
And then people could open 4$/this and have them luckily collide T3 or T4. Maybe just bump it from 3$ to 4$ to prevent that? But Baker. I also like the idea of removing 'Play a Positive/Negative Ion' from your hand.

StrongRhino

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 08:07:25 pm »

What about:

Molecule Splitter
Action

+1 Action

And then people could open 4$/this and have them luckily collide T3 or T4. Maybe just bump it from 3$ to 4$ to prevent that? But Baker. I also like the idea of removing 'Play a Positive/Negative Ion' from your hand.
Yeah, costing $4 and saying trash a card costing 4 or more.

Eggplantation

• Baron
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 01:06:20 am »

Sounds interesting, I can imagine that you could get huge chains going (well, like a regular lab...), however this would be tricky. I want to try it!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.