Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Ads on Goko  (Read 11209 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Ads on Goko
« on: March 21, 2014, 05:59:22 pm »

Never noticed an ad before, maybe I'm unobservant, but I see one on the menu now.  Is this new?

I'm a freeloader player, are buyers immune?

EDIT: ugh, supposed to be online.  Why can't I delete my own post?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Ads on Goko
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 06:02:00 pm »
+3

I see them now too. (And I own all sets)

To be honest, I don't know how they were surviving without them before.  As long as they aren't in the way it's probably fine.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 06:25:38 pm »

There's a move topic button on the bottom right.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 07:02:15 pm »
+1

Making Fun are promoting some of their existing games with some advertising on Goko. Nothing to be surprised about really.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3271
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 08:00:06 pm »
+1

it's probably a good thing

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 08:31:55 pm »
+3

Look like they're in the same place they used to tell you about buying expansions and stuff, so I guess it's kind of a re-purposing of that space.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 12:51:59 am »
+5

Making Fun are promoting some of their existing games with some advertising on Goko. Nothing to be surprised about really.

Maybe not something to be surprised about, but damned certain something to be up in arms about.  I didn't spend $40 to see ads for other products.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Aidan Millow

• Bishop
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 06:00:48 pm »
+11

Maybe not something to be surprised about, but damned certain something to be up in arms about.  I didn't spend $40 to see ads for other products.

I really hope you're joking. These ads are incredibly unobtrusive and the revenue might be used to improve services on Goko. I see nothing bad about this.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 06:10:18 pm »
+8

While the ads are really not intrusive, I think it's a huge probelm to display adds to users which purchased items in the store that say "Purchase of this item qualifies for the in-game ad removal in Dominion", like nearly all of them do.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:17:41 pm by Watno »

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 06:46:28 pm »
+5

I've added a Salvager option to hide the launch screen ads.  It'll be in the beta shortly (and in the main release after that).

Edit: Nah, changed my mind.  Sorry, folks... I just haven't had time to develop negative feelings about MakingFun yet. ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:04:33 am by ragingduckd »
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 10:31:07 pm »
+3

While the ads are really not intrusive, I think it's a huge probelm to display adds to users which purchased items in the store that say "Purchase of this item qualifies for the in-game ad removal in Dominion", like nearly all of them do.

I'm pretty certain that refers to the video ads that (used to?) play before starting some single-player games if you hadn't yet bought anything. Those were incredibly obtrusive, but hey, free's free.

I find the little title screen ads completely inoffensive. I'm pretty damn sure they used to be there, advertising Dominion sets (which I already owned). Now they advertise Making Fun's other games. I have zero problems with that.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 10:48:23 pm by LastFootnote »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2467
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 11:39:12 pm »
+1

I'm pretty certain that refers to the video ads that (used to?) play before starting some single-player games if you hadn't yet bought anything. Those were incredibly obtrusive, but hey, free's free.

I find the little title screen ads completely inoffensive. I'm pretty damn sure they used to be there, advertising Dominion sets (which I already owned). Now they advertise Making Fun's other games. I have zero problems with that.

I also have zero problems with the ads. They are hardly noticeable.

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 04:02:32 am »
+12

I've added a Salvager option to hide the launch screen ads.  It'll be in the beta shortly (and in the main release after that).

Meh, on further consideration I don't actually want Salvager to do this.  Feel free to retract your upvotes.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 08:40:50 am »
+8

Edit: Nah, changed my mind.  Sorry, folks... I just haven't had time to develop negative feelings about MakingFun yet. ;)

Currently, Goko/MakingFun are probably fine with Salvager.  But if Salvager had a built in ad blocker, I think that would piss them off and potentially lead to unnecessary amounts of unpleasantness all around.
Well you *do* need a signature...

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 09:26:32 am »

Meh, on further consideration I don't actually want Salvager to do this.  Feel free to retract your upvotes.

I upvoted your post after you edited thinking it was your original post and you were being very clever. Now
I don't know what to think.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 09:30:07 am »
+9

Oh, or you could set up Salvager to replace MakingFun's ads with our own ads, and use the revenue to fund international f.ds parties.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 09:49:33 am »

EDIT: Kirian's right; I totally messed up the phrasing here.

I can confirm that Blood Realms is a tedious grindfest.

Or so I've heard.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:23:51 am by qmech »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 10:01:17 am »

Just in case anyone's wondering, Blood Realms is a tedious grindfest.  That might save you some time.

I could have guessed that, it's a F2P CCG. :)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 01:15:56 pm »

Currently, Goko/MakingFun are probably fine with Salvager.  But if Salvager had a built in ad blocker, I think that would piss them off and potentially lead to unnecessary amounts of unpleasantness all around.

I agree. If people really want to block them then you can do it with Adblock plus (open the blockable items and find the "bloodrealms" image and block it). Now it just shows adds for other Dominion sets.

Edit: Nevermind. This doesn't work.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:22:54 pm by GeoLib »
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 02:16:40 pm »
+4

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 02:57:06 pm »
+1

What you say!!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 02:59:37 pm »
+3

You have no chance to survive make your time.

(Scary thought: this is old enough (15 years) to qualify as an age check.  "Mom, what's this All Your Base meme about?" "Go ask your dad.  Or Google it yourself.")

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 03:02:48 pm »
+1

You have no chance to survive make your time.

(Scary thought: this is old enough (15 years) to qualify as an age check.  "Mom, what's this All Your Base meme about?" "Go ask your dad.  Or Google it yourself.")

Oh god, I think this is older than some of the regular posters here.  I think this was the first big internet meme for me, after maybe hampster dance and badger badger badger.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 03:06:45 pm »

I think Hamster Dance is too old to qualify as a meme.  I seem to recall both that and Zombo.com go back to around 95 or 96.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 03:10:47 pm »

Dang, I looked it up, both are from '99.  I thought for certain they existed before I went to grad school.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.