Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1176901 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #2425 on: March 30, 2014, 03:58:21 pm »

As for DST, the main benefit is more sunshine, which has a non-negligible effect on certain parts of the economy. No idea whether it's a net help or loss.
Except that people can actually just shift the time they do things in the day....

End Daylight Savings. But even beyond this, just get rid of time zones altogether.

I'd never really considered abolishing time zones, but that makes a lot of sense.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: March 30, 2014, 04:10:32 pm »
+1

Abolishing time zones causes all sorts of problems.

I remembering reading something once about the problems in china that stem from its one time zone policy
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: March 30, 2014, 04:19:46 pm »
+1

time zones causes all sorts of problems.
ftfy

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: March 30, 2014, 04:24:56 pm »

Finally figured out 2048...I wasn't working boustrophedonically enough...also, I love the word "boustrophedonically" haha
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: March 30, 2014, 04:27:06 pm »
+5

Abolishing time zones is akin to abolishing relative directions in favor of cardinal directions. Both are useful. If I say that it's noon, that immediately gives you a picture of the time of day although it doesn't tell you what time it is in another part of the world. OTOH, using exclusively local times for flight information always drives me nuts because I always have to do all kinds of timezone conversions. People should use UTC more frequently, but abolishing local time entirely seems extreme.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1560
    • View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: March 30, 2014, 04:29:43 pm »

Abolishing time zones would be great except for one big problem, which is having the date switch in the middle of the day. It'd make it really awkward to say, for example, "Friday" and have the listener know what you mean. It's already confusing enough when you're awake at midnight and the date rolls over, and it'd be much much worse if it flipped during standard work hours.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: March 30, 2014, 04:37:30 pm »

Can we stop changing our clocks? Is this still a thing that has any value?

Given the increase in medical and traffic issues occurring twice a year, I'm pretty certain it has negative value.

Increase in medical and traffic issues?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2014/03/08/when_is_daylight_saving_time_it_starts_march_9_and_it_s_bad_for_your_health.html

Increased rate of heart attacks the week after DST starts (though a decreased risk at the fall switch).  Decreased productivity after both DST switches.  Major sleep issues for a large percentage of the population.

Large spike in traffic fatalities the Monday after both DST changes (though fewer accidents during DST).

Most research says we should actually be going to year-round DST, at least in the US.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: March 30, 2014, 04:39:33 pm »
+7

Abolishing time zones would be great except for one big problem, which is having the date switch in the middle of the day. It'd make it really awkward to say, for example, "Friday" and have the listener know what you mean. It's already confusing enough when you're awake at midnight and the date rolls over, and it'd be much much worse if it flipped during standard work hours.

Clearly we should be abolishing dates too. My love life already has a significant head start there.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: March 30, 2014, 04:42:26 pm »
+4

Clearly we should be abolishing dates too. My love life already has a significant head start there.

What do you use instead?  Figs?  Apricots?  Kiwis?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: March 30, 2014, 04:44:26 pm »

Eh, no big deal, get rid of dates and just use utime()
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: March 30, 2014, 04:44:50 pm »

Abolishing time zones is akin to abolishing relative directions in favor of cardinal directions. Both are useful. If I say that it's noon, that immediately gives you a picture of the time of day although it doesn't tell you what time it is in another part of the world. OTOH, using exclusively local times for flight information always drives me nuts because I always have to do all kinds of timezone conversions. People should use UTC more frequently, but abolishing local time entirely seems extreme.

We could continue using noon to mean "the time when the sun is highest".  It just wouldn't by synonymous with "12pm".

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2436 on: March 30, 2014, 04:51:39 pm »

I sometimes do the 28 h/6 days week, I don't think that's confusing at all.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: March 30, 2014, 04:53:56 pm »
+1

What do you use instead?  Figs?  Apricots?  Kiwis?

We only have a few significant figs.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: March 30, 2014, 04:56:10 pm »
+1

Yes, but is it confusing to your mom?

http://xkcd.com/320/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: March 30, 2014, 05:04:34 pm »

Given the increase in medical and traffic issues occurring twice a year, I'm pretty certain it has negative value.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2014/03/08/when_is_daylight_saving_time_it_starts_march_9_and_it_s_bad_for_your_health.html

Increased rate of heart attacks the week after DST starts (though a decreased risk at the fall switch).  Decreased productivity after both DST switches.  Major sleep issues for a large percentage of the population.

Large spike in traffic fatalities the Monday after both DST changes (though fewer accidents during DST).

Most research says we should actually be going to year-round DST, at least in the US.

How do you know which one is DST and which one is not DST?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4389
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2440 on: March 30, 2014, 06:36:48 pm »

This is illogical to me. Shouldn't it just be that people should get up an hour sooner? I mean, seriously, the whole thing is just a psychological trick (though I don't mean 'trick' to have any devious connotations here).

Most people don't and just say "Standard time" or "EST/CST/MST/PST" (per applicable) regardless of which it is, leading to great personal frustration for me.

________________________________________________________________________________

As it is now, with timezones, you could have some major event happen in, say China, early morning of March 31, and then people here in the US are responding to that afterwards, in the evening of March 30.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: March 30, 2014, 06:39:51 pm »

This is illogical to me. Shouldn't it just be that people should get up an hour sooner? I mean, seriously, the whole thing is just a psychological trick (though I don't mean 'trick' to have any devious connotations here).

My mom has said she would like to always be on daylight savings time.  It stays light later.  It would be more like getting rid of it and making all clocks one hour ahead.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: March 30, 2014, 06:45:13 pm »

Most people don't and just say "Standard time" or "EST/CST/MST/PST" (per applicable) regardless of which it is, leading to great personal frustration for me.

________________________________________________________________________________

As it is now, with timezones, you could have some major event happen in, say China, early morning of March 31, and then people here in the US are responding to that afterwards, in the evening of March 30.

I remember being quite confused one summer when I was told that an appointment was at such and such a time, EST.  I got in touch with the person and asked if they had meant EDT, and sure enough they did.

edit:  Personally, if I'm in the US speaking to someone else in the US, I will usually just say Eastern Time or Pacific Time rather than specifying Standard or Daylight.  I mean, it is extremely rare in ordinary day-to-day life that one purposefully sets times in EDT during the winter.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 06:49:06 pm by SirPeebles »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: March 30, 2014, 07:06:45 pm »
+2

Wow, what did I start? (random stuff is the answer I guess).

Yeah I realised after leaving for church that, whoops, the US celebrates mothers day at another time of year. And the US clocks do change, but do it at a slightly different time. But I draw everyone's attention back to this statement:
I feel like a zombie. Urghh....
So yeah I don't feel too dumb about it.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1560
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: March 30, 2014, 07:12:11 pm »

But without timezones, imagine some unfortunate part of the world where the date flips at what's currently (with time zones) 6am, so "early morning of March 31" could refer to two different mornings. Not much better.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: March 30, 2014, 07:15:46 pm »
+6

Wow, what did I start? (random stuff is the answer I guess).

Yeah I realised after leaving for church that, whoops, the US celebrates mothers day at another time of year. And the US clocks do change, but do it at a slightly different time. But I draw everyone's attention back to this statement:
I feel like a zombie. Urghh....
So yeah I don't feel too dumb about it.

No worries.  I saw plenty of American friends on facebook freak out when they saw their British friends posting about Mothers Day, worried that they'd forgotten.  Same thing happens every year.  It would be easier if we just abbreviated them to Mum's Day and Mom's Day.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: March 30, 2014, 07:20:18 pm »

Daylight and darkness affect traffic fatalities.  The evening commute starts after sunset here (Toledo, OH) for most of November and January; moving to year-round DST would mean sunset is never earlier than 1800 here.  And on the Eastern seaboard where the sun starts setting as early as 1600 in winter, the effect would be even more dramatic.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: March 30, 2014, 07:28:54 pm »

Daylight and darkness affect traffic fatalities.  The evening commute starts after sunset here (Toledo, OH) for most of November and January; moving to year-round DST would mean sunset is never earlier than 1800 here.  And on the Eastern seaboard where the sun starts setting as early as 1600 in winter, the effect would be even more dramatic.

I think the point is that evening commutes aren't triggered by hands on a clock, but rather by the collective social convention of when the work day ends.  One could argue that it makes more sense for the work day to begin an hour earlier in the day, perhaps in order to optimize the synchronization of clocks with the motion of the sun.

In practice, I think it would be easier to a national government to declare permanent DST than it is for each business to individually decided to shift business by an hour.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2448 on: March 30, 2014, 07:50:26 pm »

Yes, but is it confusing to your mom?

http://xkcd.com/320/
No.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: March 30, 2014, 10:47:42 pm »
+5

So, I was playing derivative clicker that someone posted.  I realized you can sell things by saying you want to buy -1 of them at once.  I was wondering what would happen if you sold something that you had none of...  You can sell it, get -1 of it, and get money for selling it.  I decided to sell a nonexistant Georg Riemann and got a lot of money for it.  I started buying other stuff, then realized that because I had -1 Georg Riemann, I started getting negative Kurt Godels (I don't feel like getting the special o...), which ended with negative mathematicians, which ended with my tick length being NaN.  The game interpreted that as 0 or something, and was constantly updating, giving me a lot of money and proofs.  But I couldn't buy anything...  I had to restart...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 17 queries.