Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30  All

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire [spoilers version]  (Read 180357 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4445
    • View Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire [spoilers version]
« Reply #400 on: June 08, 2015, 09:16:50 pm »
+1

Remember back in Season 2 where everyone was complaining that the show made Stannis too likeable?

No?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 08, 2015, 09:35:30 pm »

Yeah I only remember everyone on reddit, before stannis' rout of the wildlings, complaining that they always had to defend their love of stannis to their show watcher friends because the show gave stannis no redeeming qualities.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 09, 2015, 12:30:10 pm »

Shireen burning? I can completely see Book Stannis doing this down the road. But less than one episode of buildup about how ****ed his army is? That wasn't enough. Sure, we got the "you'll betray everything you'll hold dear" and "OMG Shireen is so ded" foreshadowing, so I was expecting it, but why it happened now, at that moment, was incredibly poorly shown.

Feeling more confident about this opinion after re-watching watching with my show-only roommate. He spent the entire scene asking "but why?????", and having to turn to me for explanation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 09, 2015, 12:37:39 pm »

Remember back in Season 2 where everyone was complaining that the show made Stannis too likeable?

No?

Yeah I only remember everyone on reddit, before stannis' rout of the wildlings, complaining that they always had to defend their love of stannis to their show watcher friends because the show gave stannis no redeeming qualities.

Maybe I got it backwards?  I thought a lot of people were complaining (back when Stannis was introduced) that the show didn't portray Stannis as hard and cruel as he is in the books.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9190
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 09, 2015, 12:55:40 pm »
+2

I just caught up with Arya's story in Dance with Dragons.  It continues to be my favorite storyline.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: June 10, 2015, 12:25:22 am »

I just caught up with Arya's story in Dance with Dragons.  It continues to be my favorite storyline.

I haven't watched the show since early season 2, but reading the books I find myself always looking forward to the chapters about Arya.  She is by far my favorite.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 10, 2015, 04:33:02 am »

Same here, big Arya fan in both the show and the books. Just yesterday I was talking about the show with two friends (who haven't touched the books), and I was really surprised when one said he stopped following the show after season 3 because "watching that little Stark girl wander around pointlessly got too boring" and the other who still watches replied "yeah, it has gotten even worse since then, she has wandered around pointlessly even more and now she is selling clams or something".

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 14, 2015, 10:32:25 pm »

So, show readers are now essentially caught up to book readers, except for a bit left of Arya's story, and a little fiddling around in Oldtown (this is assuming they've dropped the Greyjoy plot entirely).
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 15, 2015, 08:18:57 am »

Arya was awesome in the finale~

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 15, 2015, 10:38:49 am »

So this means that those of us who have not read the books can now read this thread? I mean, there would be spoilers for the books, of course, but I have so many other books to read that a book series I mostly watched on television is pretty low on my priority list. Sorry, George, but it's true.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 15, 2015, 10:59:43 am »

Thoughts:

Anyone think Melisandre returning to Castle Black is highly suggestive of her having something to do with Jon's "revival"?  The book seems to hint that something like this will happen; the show seems to be setting it up as well.

Also, while watching I had thought they were going to do something with the long shot of the blood spilling, like have it start smoking or somehow indicate the AA prophecy, but the show didn't go very heavy on prophecies.

I thought it was an odd change to have Sam suggest leaving instead of Jon sending him away, but actually I like it.  It shows Sam as taking a bit more charge of what he wants and what he thinks is best.  Also, really happy that Oldtown will get back into the story.

At first during the walk of shame, I thought Cersei looked too regal and too much like she was still in charge of everything.  She didn't look scared or intimidated at all.  But I guess that makes sense, and her breakdown during the walk I think worked.  I think they did a good job with it.

Varys in Mereen was a bit of a surprise, because that means he's not where he is in the books.  But I guess we knew he was traveling that direction.  I'm guessing what happens at the end of A Dance with Dragons will happen in the show, just at a different time.

Arya was still my favorite scene.  Once they showed Meryn Trant, I was thinking, "Shit's about to get real awesome real fast."

This season had some pacing issues, but overall I liked it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 15, 2015, 11:00:18 am »

So this means that those of us who have not read the books can now read this thread? I mean, there would be spoilers for the books, of course, but I have so many other books to read that a book series I mostly watched on television is pretty low on my priority list. Sorry, George, but it's true.

I highly recommend the books; I think they're very well written.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 15, 2015, 11:47:00 am »

I highly recommend the books; I think they're very well written.

Of that I have no doubt, but I can only fit so many books into my lifetime. I've read 2.5 books of Discworld, and I'd like to read more. And I would choose to read Wild Cards over Game of Thrones simply because of the subject matter.

With so many great literary options, I have to pare things down a bit, and books made into movies/TV shows are more likely to get the ax, though exceptions do exist (e.g., Starship Troopers).

I may change my mind later, especially if my wife decides to get the books and put them on our shelves. That's always a possibility.
A man has no signature

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 15, 2015, 11:51:30 am »

I've read 2.5 books of Discworld, and I'd like to read more.

READ THEM ALL

NOW
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 15, 2015, 12:08:11 pm »

Not completely. There's 2-3 storylines from the books that haven't been introduced yet, not sure if they're being cut (doubt it) or just added in different seasons. There's also definitely some fan theories that are 95% true that contain major spoilers about the direction of the series (which hasn't happened either in the books). I'd say the theory is a bigger problem, once you see it, it makes so much sense and spoils a lot of future content.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 15, 2015, 01:27:25 pm »

I very much enjoyed the finale, though it did cement my opinion about the season - excellent big-picture plot choices, terrible execution.

I agree that, in the show at least, Melisandre is 100% reviving John.

As far as reading this thread/book readers still knowing spoilers, TA is right that it's mostly theories that will be spoilers now. The books have the freedom to sprinkle in lots of world-building and foreshadowing that, in some instances, sets up very clearly where certain plotlines are going to go. So book readers could be wrong, and certainly will be in some cases, but for the most part still know some significant information that could spoil the show.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 15, 2015, 02:13:07 pm »
+1

My thoughts here: http://reason.com/blog/2015/06/15/game-of-thrones-fifth-season-was-too-dam

I wasn't a huge fan, to say the least.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 15, 2015, 02:23:52 pm »

My thoughts here: http://reason.com/blog/2015/06/15/game-of-thrones-fifth-season-was-too-dam

I think it was the right amount of depressing.

Good stories do not come from everything going according to plan.  Good stories do not come from easy choices.  They come from hard choices, they come from things going wrong, they come from permanently fucking things up in a way that has dire consequences.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #418 on: June 15, 2015, 02:33:07 pm »
+1

Good stories do not come from everything going according to plan.  Good stories do not come from easy choices.  They come from hard choices, they come from things going wrong, they come from permanently fucking things up in a way that has dire consequences.

This is a good comment thread on reddit that echoes my thoughts on the subject (book spoilers):
http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/39vrp7/spoilers_all_the_real_difference_between_the_show/cs6x6kl

In the book, LSH/Frey Pies/Wyman Manderly's speech offer hope.  I don't see hope in the TV show.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 15, 2015, 02:54:09 pm »

This is a good comment thread on reddit that echoes my thoughts on the subject (book spoilers):
http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/39vrp7/spoilers_all_the_real_difference_between_the_show/cs6x6kl

In the book, LSH/Frey Pies/Wyman Manderly's speech offer hope.  I don't see hope in the TV show.

Yeah, I agree 100%. That's basically exactly what I wrote, or tried to write, in my review.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: June 15, 2015, 05:35:48 pm »
+2

Cool article, Robz. I agree with everything you're saying. This season was too brutal. It's violence/brutality for the point of violence/brutality, not for the point of the story.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 15, 2015, 06:13:52 pm »

Cool article, Robz. I agree with everything you're saying. This season was too brutal. It's violence/brutality for the point of violence/brutality, not for the point of the story.

Thanks for reading! I do appreciate it.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 15, 2015, 10:50:27 pm »
+1

Just watched the finale. I have some thoughts. Which I will try give without mentioning the books.

Dorne: Let's just get this part out of the way. Nothing makes sense here. Ellaria wants to kill Myrcella to start a war with the Lannisters because Oberyn is dead but also bad blood between those families for a long time. Sort of shaky but ok. So she sneaks into Myrcellas room and steals her necklace and sends it to Cersei with a threatening letter and doesnt just, I don't know, kill her then. Poison her in her sleep? Ok, anyway ... forget it. Not worth it. One stupid plot contrivance after another, terrible writing. The acting might have been terrible, but I can't imagine any actor good enough to deliver that dialogue well. End result is probably important to the plot, but it just felt like a total waste. At least we got a nice scene between Jaime and Myrcella before it went all nose-bleedy. Which just seals the utter pointlessness of this story.

Arya: I like Arya. I think too many people relish her juvenile vigilantism instead of realizing just how tragic of a character she is, but whatever. I like her adventures in Bravos. I just really struggle to see how anything she does has real significance to the plot. I feel this way about the book plot, too, but it's even worse here where we don't get insight into the real influence of the faceless men and the iron bank. Her blinding and really the whole scene at the end was a fun twist, and it'll be nice to see how it plays out in the show new season. I just wish I had the sense of it going somewhere on the grand stage the show is set up for everywhere else. I mean, I get the same feeling with the Dany plot, but at least I know once she's ready to move on to Westeros, her impact will be felt at a massive scale. Oh also Meryn Trant wasn't evil enough before? Now we have to add physical child abuse. Then again, that scene probably would have been more disturbing had he been ready to sexually assault Arya.

Essos: Looks promising going forward. Jorah and Dario will be a fun buddy team. And Tyrion gets to rule with Varys! Wait why did it take so long for Varys to get to Mereen? He didn't get shipwrecked and captured by slavers and forced to fight in pits and also how did he get past security and sidle on up to Tyrion like that and ... actually I don't care. I'll take all the plot contrivance in the world if it means more of those two. And Kelly C runs into some dothraki. I'm sure she'll be invading Westero's any day now.

Cersei: Fantastic scene. Lena Headley is amazing at showing such a powerful range of emotions through the smallest of facial expression changes. Her descent from calm and controlled, to rattled, to a complete break down almost made me pity her. Then I remembered how terrible of a person she is. And once Ser FrankenGregor picked her up, that wasn't the look of a woman who was going to accept her punishment.

Sansa: Total character regression for Sansa all season. I kept hoping they were building something up, but she ends up just being the damsel in distressed yet again. She had absolutely no agency. The most she did was break out of her room and light a candle hoping some unknown force would come save her. Instead, it's reek theon who does. I do really enjoy his arc now that we're done with the torture porn. Maybe it was sansa's words that brought him back, or maybe not. Really hard to tell. But either way, Theon ne Reek wins the MVP. The ending where they jump off the building was odd. They didn't make it clear that there was anyway they could survive such a fall. There's no way they just fall to their deaths. But by not showing them safe outside the walls they deny any real closure that plot line could give. By showing the jump and not the landing, they really are just giving the laziest of cliffhangers.

Stannis: Ok, book talk for one second. I know show stannis and book stannis are really different. But I actually really like the shows portrayal. He's not the mannis, but he is a wonderfully tragic character. A man driven by duty to claim what is rightfully his, sees the power the red woman offers and slowly gives her more control over his actions. He sees the real threat for what it is and his mission only grows more urgent. He needs to win not only for his right, but for the realm. As his situation grows more desperate, he leans more on the red womans magic. Eventually sacrificing his own daughter in the name of the greater good (and perhaps some of his own ambition). But this last act of a desperate man drives his wife to suicide and half his army to desertion. And at this point he knows he's lost. But he has no choice but to continue to trust the prophesy of the red woman, even as she herself abandons him in his lowest point. The unspeakable acts he committed cannot be in vain. Haunted by the dying screams of his only child, he marches towards his death. His army is routed and he finds himself alone. Perhaps thinking of how he had come to this point. Having lost everything, his wife, daughter, army, the red woman herself. And in the end, his life is taken in revenge of his brother's murder, his first betrayal. Wonderfully poetic justice.

Except we get ANOTHER cut to black before the death cliffhanger because one isn't enough. Fuck you, show.

Jon: The scene between Mel and Davos might have been my favorite of the episode, maybe the season. It was short, there was almost no dialogue, but the acting from both of those two was phenomenal. You could hear Davos' heart break. And the look on Mel's face was equally good. Doubt, maybe uncertainty. Those two seconds did more to humanize her than any previous scene. She was nothing but smugness and absolute certainty for 5 years. And now, everything she thought is gone.

And the moment we were all waiting for. Sam leaves for oldtown leaving Jon with very few friends on the wall. And the murders that make up the watch finally got to do what they're best at. I did think it was rushed a bit. Surely word of what happened at Hardhome had spread and people realized the threat they were up against. If, for instance, Jon agreed to send wildlings to help stannis take winterfell, that would have made a great 'final straw.' Yeah wildlings can help us fight the undead, but we are not giving them leave to invade our lands. I am mostly disappointed Alliser was there. He's a dick. He hates Jon. But he understands the threat they are up against, more than most. I actually felt it out of character that he would mutineer. Regardless, we finally get a surefire, no cut to black, death. Until Mel revives him.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:58:48 pm by jonts26 »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 16, 2015, 12:29:02 am »

I'll say this much: That fire god (don't know the actual name) is just not that impressive. Oh sure, it was great for murdering Renly, but when Stannis sacrificed royal blood to the god, what was his reward? Warmer weather. Not a rampaging demon. Not an army of fire soldiers. Not even a streak of fire lancing from the sky to sunder Winterfell. Just the right conditions to continue marching, which he can't do at full strength anyway because half his forces freaked out at following a man who would sacrifice his daughter.

I am not impressed with that god anymore.
A man has no signature

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 16, 2015, 12:30:40 am »
+2

Though I completely agree with the hope/no-hope distinction, I want to say that LSH is not hope. She is a tragic corruption of Catelyn. I strongly dislike her as a character, though she is somewhat enjoyable to read about.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.