Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Was my win just luck?  (Read 1298 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
Was my win just luck?
« on: October 22, 2013, 11:30:13 pm »
+1

Code: [Select]
Poor House, Masterpiece, Urchin, Plaza, Harvest, Jester, Journeyman, Vault, Farmland, Nobles
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131022/log.50635cc651c3843e7939ece8.1382493856615.txt

Key cards: Urchin/Mercenary, Plaza, Jester, Poor House

The synergy between Plaza and Poor House is not to be underestimated, though with no +Buy on board it's not as awesome as it might otherwise be.  My opponent connects his Urchins early--like, two Mercs on Turn 5 early--and I suspect I'm all but done for.  By the end of the game, though, he has 5 Curses, and I end up with the win.

Was it the early Jester?  Was it him trashing a Gold for Farmland/Province early?  Did I just plain get lucky?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Was my win just luck?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 11:39:50 pm »
+1

Well, at the very least, your opponent entirely skipped the 'draw' part of his draw engine. He bought no nobles or journeymen all game. That seems like it was a mistake maybe?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:42:26 pm by ftl »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 02:01:34 am »

Didn't look that closely, but my guess is that

1. Your opponent bought treasures, which anti-synergizes with Poor House. Your Nobles buys gives you around the same buying power off Poor House. It's a bit less, but you get 2 VP + better cycling, so it works out to a net gain.
2. Early Jester probably helped as well, money off actions is really useful here to get more mileage off Poor Houses
3. Your Nobles didn't get hit by Jester until fairly late, whereas you got a decent amount of Victory card hits. You also never hit a Silver or Gold from what I saw, which is probably the worst hit you can get in this board.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 05:42:45 am »

Well, at the very least, your opponent entirely skipped the 'draw' part of his draw engine. He bought no nobles or journeymen all game. That seems like it was a mistake maybe?
This. And then why would he want to trash his mercenaries with these incoming curses?If he had bought at least 2 nobles/journeymen and had kept mercenaries, he would've been likely to get rid of his curses which could've made a crucial VP difference. I think, your first jester should've been a journeyman, too. You both seem to have underestimated draw/cycling here; he dramatically, you a little in the beginning.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.