Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (GAME OVER - MAFIA WINS!)  (Read 335561 times)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (DAY 1 START!)
« Reply #325 on: June 04, 2012, 06:23:17 pm »

Vote: Quicktopic

@O: Puppies of large dogs are cute. I've not encountered puppies of yappy-type dogs enough times to form an opinion on them.
I'm fine with smart children, but there are a lot of obnoxious, loud, undisciplined children that I prefer to stay clear of me.
I think this is where I say: God Bless America.
UNVOTE
Vote: Axxle (for the above post)

@ALL: Can we get more focused on gleaning actionable information?  This is going to be incredibly unwieldy 6 weeks from now at the end of Day 3, when there could still be as many as 12 people in the game.
O requested this, and I felt the need to grant him it for whatever reason.
You should bold your votes so it's easy for Voltgloss to see them.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 04, 2012, 06:25:15 pm »

Damn, this may get old:

UNVOTE
Vote: Axxle (for explanation, see my post #322.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 04, 2012, 06:28:12 pm »

UNVOTE
Vote: Axxle (for the above post)

@ALL: Can we get more focused on gleaning actionable information?  This is going to be incredibly unwieldy 6 weeks from now at the end of Day 3, when there could still be as many as 12 people in the game.

I actually feel we've made a lot of progress for early day 1. Tons of good information there, even in the trollvotes.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 04, 2012, 06:28:53 pm »

That unlikelihood is already implied, and he wasn't prompted by anything like "to what extent do you feel SFS is likely scum", someone just asked to follow his thought process.  He over reacted and tried to shirk responsibility for his vote.

Ok so I went back and read exactly what you said in case I misunderstood it. You obviously see a big difference between asking someone "You are voting for SFS because you think he's mafia?" and "How scummy do you think SFS is?" Is that basically what you're saying? I guess they are different. Hmm. How do you think he should have reacted? I don't quite follow your logic, though I admit that there does appear to be some there.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #329 on: June 04, 2012, 06:33:00 pm »

Hello everyone.

I might be able to provoke an argument this way: I am actually fine with not killing anyone on Day 1 if I don't believe we have a good chance of actually killing a mafia member. (When I argued otherwise in Mafia II, I was a member of the mafia).

I'm not voting 'No Lynch,' and I'm not saying that should be the goal--but if we run out of time, and we have no reason to suspect anyone more than anybody else... it's better to have an additional townsperson alive on Day 2 rather than mislynch. In my view, at least.

Do you really think we'll run out of time, given the late deadline and how much talking we've done in less than ten hours? I think I agree with you in general, but I'm having a hard time seeing how, given the amount of information we'll likel have even just at the end of this week, we won't have a better-than-random chance of hitting scum.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: June 04, 2012, 06:36:51 pm »

THIS REPLY IS AFTER READING UP TO POST 314, SOMETHING WILL POP UP IN MIDTIME.

Ok with Quicktopic

I came to the thread wanting to vote for Tables, after giving it some thoughts (and watching Game of Thrones season finale)
Yes, Axxle was a bit too jumpy (still not completely clear), especially getting jump for Tables bring out out his name saying "I trust this guy". But than, this is what struck me as weird! What the hell is that? "I believe Axxle". Out of blue. No reason. And Axxle's respond seemed like two of the share a dirty little secret. And by that I don't mean Mafia exclusively, Axxle's jumpyness to me, look like, a guy saying to another one: "dude, we don't bring that up, we agreed not to".
But I'm still more interested in Tables' out of blue trust towards Axxle, and especially bringing it up like that. Ok, it did "create response" especially from Axxle, but still, it feels.. like  a weird move. Like, why do that exactly and not vote someone or at least back up why you trust him?

Unvote

Got a response that is all I wanted for now.

But this! This caught me off-guard. How outrageous. It looks completely like someone trying to cover up things. Seriously. Especially after that exchange with Captain Frisk. So other posts too, like "lets now all vote for J"

On others players:
SFS's post seems honest, trustworthy, for some reason.
Galzria seems like he triest so much to comment and put into context everything, but seems good so far.
O and pops - don't like em at all, acting random for.. what?.
Robz seems ok and trustworhy so far.
Captain Frisk - though he seems thoughtful and helpful, a bit too.. I don't know? Scripted.
Axxle at least showed some spine  ;D
Tables I dont like.
Theo - nothing so far.
Dsell - mostly impartial but leaning on good side.
Green Opal - still evaluating, though leaning on good side.
For J i all ready said it was a very stupid move nad he didn't do anything smart after that.

Vote: Insomniac.
I'll hammer/bandwagon on some other votes too (J, O, pops)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 04, 2012, 06:38:14 pm »

Hello everyone.

I might be able to provoke an argument this way: I am actually fine with not killing anyone on Day 1 if I don't believe we have a good chance of actually killing a mafia member. (When I argued otherwise in Mafia II, I was a member of the mafia).

I'm not voting 'No Lynch,' and I'm not saying that should be the goal--but if we run out of time, and we have no reason to suspect anyone more than anybody else... it's better to have an additional townsperson alive on Day 2 rather than mislynch. In my view, at least.

Do you really think we'll run out of time, given the late deadline and how much talking we've done in less than ten hours? I think I agree with you in general, but I'm having a hard time seeing how, given the amount of information we'll likel have even just at the end of this week, we won't have a better-than-random chance of hitting scum.

I would rather have a Vanilla Town lynched than not lynch at all. Even if it's me. The math simply supports that being the better move. I would also rather lynch a VT than a Role. And above all that, I would rather lynch Mafia.
[/quote]
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 04, 2012, 06:39:25 pm »

You're still off, but now you're actually trying and getting closer, Dsell.  The post posed to Insomniac was more like "Are you, Insomniac, voting X because his action Y leads you to believe he is scum?" As part of his explanation he emphasized the -unlikelihood- that his target is scum.  That was not necessary to his answer, but served the survivalist purpose of appearing less aggressive

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #333 on: June 04, 2012, 06:42:52 pm »

On others players:
Galzria seems like he triest so much to comment and put into context everything, but seems good so far.
Captain Frisk - though he seems thoughtful and helpful, a bit too.. I don't know? Scripted.
Tables I dont like.
Theo - nothing so far.
For J i all ready said it was a very stupid move nad he didn't do anything smart after that.

No opinion on me yet?

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 04, 2012, 06:43:26 pm »

THIS REPLY IS AFTER READING UP TO POST 314, SOMETHING WILL POP UP IN MIDTIME.

Ok with Quicktopic

I came to the thread wanting to vote for Tables, after giving it some thoughts (and watching Game of Thrones season finale)
Yes, Axxle was a bit too jumpy (still not completely clear), especially getting jump for Tables bring out out his name saying "I trust this guy". But than, this is what struck me as weird! What the hell is that? "I believe Axxle". Out of blue. No reason. And Axxle's respond seemed like two of the share a dirty little secret. And by that I don't mean Mafia exclusively, Axxle's jumpyness to me, look like, a guy saying to another one: "dude, we don't bring that up, we agreed not to".
But I'm still more interested in Tables' out of blue trust towards Axxle, and especially bringing it up like that. Ok, it did "create response" especially from Axxle, but still, it feels.. like  a weird move. Like, why do that exactly and not vote someone or at least back up why you trust him?

Unvote

Got a response that is all I wanted for now.

But this! This caught me off-guard. How outrageous. It looks completely like someone trying to cover up things. Seriously. Especially after that exchange with Captain Frisk. So other posts too, like "lets now all vote for J"

On others players:
Tables I dont like.
Theo - nothing so far.

You're one short- What about glooble?

And why so confident about SFS?

Ninjaed by glooble himself

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 04, 2012, 06:45:19 pm »

You're still off, but now you're actually trying and getting closer, Dsell.  The post posed to Insomniac was more like "Are you, Insomniac, voting X because his action Y leads you to believe he is scum?" As part of his explanation he emphasized the -unlikelihood- that his target is scum.  That was not necessary to his answer, but served the survivalist purpose of appearing less aggressive

Ok thank you. I don't really think I agree with this logic (ok the logic is fine but I still think he was just trying to get a lurker to talk) but I can definitely live with it.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 04, 2012, 06:52:57 pm »

@Glooble - Still evaluating, though his post #301 seems quite reasonable. I don't know how O usually plays, but I am keeping an eye on him too.

@SFS - This is likely to change, it is nothing in particular, his first post just seemed honest (maybe because it mostly was, as it is information about him  ;D). Though I only skimmed it the first, reading it closely doesn't seem as a reasonable for O as Gloobe's is, because.. well, Glooble just provided more sounding reasoning than "random is bad". But still nothing concrete to grasp onto yet.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 04, 2012, 07:04:30 pm »

@Galzria

I think that concientious town players will be hyperaware of the possibility of mafia-led bandwagons. Anyone accumulating a critical mass of votes in a short time is not a good lynch target.

We can't be looking for obvious tells, but we should hunt for subconcious ones. Robz expressed (in MIII) that when he played as mafia (in MII) he wrote a lot of posts and deleted them. Mafia are playing carefully. So I think people playing carelessly are less likely to be scum (myself included). Of course, that does not preclude the possibility of carefully trying to appear careless. Still, I think our rapid-fire posting should make it hard to fake erratic play (i.e. think carefully about appearing not to think carefully). Should our hypothetical mafioso then decide his or her only defense is to actually stop being so careful, well great - all the more likely they'll slip up in some actionable way.

So, to conclude, we should all play like O until someone looks scummy.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 04, 2012, 07:06:02 pm »

I started out writing this tongue-in-cheek, but now I quite like it.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 04, 2012, 07:06:45 pm »

I really hope this is a joke. XD

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 04, 2012, 07:07:20 pm »

Note, this potentially incriminates the people who are coming out and saying silliness is antitown as (potentially) mafia trying to wrangle the town into a more manipulatable state. *cough*Axxle*cough*

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 04, 2012, 07:09:04 pm »

That particular line was somewhat of a humorous overstatement. But I'll go ahead and sand by the general sentiment.

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 04, 2012, 07:09:17 pm »

*stand

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 04, 2012, 07:12:29 pm »

Galzria, since you asked me, let me throw the question back at you. How ought we hunt scum in order to accomplish the difficult goal of a Day 1 scumlynch?

He/him

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 04, 2012, 07:13:10 pm »

Robz expressed (in MIII) that when he played as mafia (in MII) he wrote a lot of posts and deleted them. Mafia are playing carefully. So I think people playing carelessly are less likely to be scum (myself included). Of course, that does not preclude the possibility of carefully trying to appear careless. Still, I think our rapid-fire posting should make it hard to fake erratic play (i.e. think carefully about appearing not to think carefully).

This is has some interesting and reasonable points. You are right; a Mafia would need to think more before posting and with us posting this much it would be hard to keep up. They need often posts, but convincing, well-though-out posts, I agree faking erratic play would be harder.

(Though your posts seems well-though-out as well). ;D JK.  :o

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: June 04, 2012, 07:13:51 pm »

Hi all,
just posting more or less to say that I'm here, and I'll try to read some of the posts.  I was on when the game had just started...then I started to read just before the forum went down (at least for me) sometime this afternoon.  So, IF I read it all, I've got like 7 pages to read...anyways, I'll probably read backwards from now, starting in a couple hours when the kids go to bed.

I will say, that you are a talkative bunch...you should all resolve to read the entire thread each time you post, that will let those of us with less than all of our time keep up :P

Oh, also I'm guessing not all 7 pages (or however many there will be in the an hour and a half) have substance, so if anyone would like to sum up what's happened, I'm sure I would find it helpful.

Anyways, I'm sure posting will slow down tomorrow (game time) once there is information of actual substance, and the people with crazy amounts of free time actually start rereading the thread to determine what's actually going on...until then I'll probably.

Anyways, I'll post something more substantial tonight (can't guarantee much substance, since a lot depends on how much substance the rest of you lot have given)

PRE-EDIT: Also...it's ridiculous that my clicking post warning says that 6 posts were written in the time I took to write this one.
Pre-Edit2: and another one! goodness!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 04, 2012, 07:14:05 pm »

That particular line was somewhat of a humorous overstatement. But I'll go ahead and sand by the general sentiment.

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. O is a strange case. He is really frustrating when we are trying to be serious but I've actually found him hilarious so far here.

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 04, 2012, 07:15:45 pm »

until then I'll probably not keep up entirely. (silly lost ends of sentences, I'm sure it was in my brain before I started typing)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 04, 2012, 07:16:39 pm »

Oh, also I'm guessing not all 7 pages (or however many there will be in the an hour and a half) have substance, so if anyone would like to sum up what's happened, I'm sure I would find it helpful.

In general, I don't think this is a good idea. Maybe a VERY rough summation, but it really is best for you to read it all yourself. And quite a bit has happened. Sorry, I know it is a ton to read.  :-\

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 04, 2012, 07:16:45 pm »

Note, this potentially incriminates the people who are coming out and saying silliness is antitown as (potentially) mafia trying to wrangle the town into a more manipulatable state. *cough*Axxle*cough*
I will counter by saying that Mafia is perfectly fine with no active scumhunting happening.

Do you guys really think that faking erratic play is harder than being consistent Day to Day? Anything you point at later can just be attributed to erratic play.  I know that I was very limited in the lies I could tell in Mafia I because of my behavior Days 1 and 2.

I will repost: How to scumhunt day 1: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13710
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.