Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Competing Strategies  (Read 1355 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Competing Strategies
« on: September 14, 2011, 01:57:23 am »

Just though this was a nice game, with two different but competitive approaches.

My opponent opened Chapel/Treasure Map and Embargoed the Golds before triggering Treasure Maps twice. I opened Warehouse/Ambassador with the aim of frustrating his Chapelling. Part of my choice, I'll admit, was testing a claim I'd read somewhere about Ambassador being a better opening buy than Chapel. I bought one Gold, taking the Curse which I soon Ambassadored to my opponent, and which propelled me to buying two Platinums, which I found quite often by Warehousing. I ended up winning the Colonies 5-3 and the game by 9 points.

I thought the Treasure Map/Embargo combo was clever, although much less effective in a Colony game.

My Ambassadoring seems to have been more effective than his Chapelling, as I finished with 20 cards including 1 starting card, and he finished with 23 cards including four. I would, however attribute at least some of this to my early Warehouse. Masquerade was in the mix as well, although neither of us touched it. Any thoughts on when it's better to give cards to your opponents, and when it's better to just Chapel them away? What would you have done in this game?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Competing Strategies
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 09:16:44 am »

It's a very unhelpful set for an embargo with four good trashing cards to remove the curses. The trade route is better than usual since the ambassador adds +1 coin for the estates immediately. The ambassador and masquerade can send the curse back so they are the perfect defence. The embargo may have been better served on the platinum since any deck will have expanded by the time it can buy a platinum and the curse might not be trashed so easily.

It varies, but I'd say that the ambassador is a better bet than a chapel in a colony game. Here though you can add a late masquerade or trade route so it varies depending upon the continuation. Your opponent had a turn 5 chapel too and it's always difficult to control the deck size in that situation.

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 11:00:17 am »

His Warehouse also missed the crucial last reshuffle, i.e. the one that's likely to discard 3 greens. Your Rabble also discarded his $4 Trade Route. I don't know man, this could have gone either way I feel.

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 07:14:22 am »

I quite like this game, featuring a close win by vineyards over a province strategy, despite some strong ambassador and embargo play by my opponent.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110824-082832-ff83d7f2.html
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.