Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: League match feedback  (Read 1555 times)

TheExpressicist

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
League match feedback
« on: February 06, 2015, 06:34:44 am »

Two games:

Code: [Select]
Moat, Watchtower, Cutpurse, Militia, Navigator, Spy, Band of Misfits, Mandarin, Margrave, Soothsayer
https://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150206/log.516e5516e4b082c74d7d5f0c.1423217788243.txt

At first I was feeling pretty good about the Watchtowers/Moats, since I was managing to miss all of his Soothsayers. But as the game progressed and he was able to consistently buy Provinces despite having 4 curses, I was thinking that maybe that extra card from Soothsayer helps out more than I gave it credit for. The last turn where I collided Militia and Moat really hurt.

TheExpressicist

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
Re: League match feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 06:39:13 am »

Code: [Select]
Transmute, Pearl Diver, Shanty Town, Swindler, Village, Smithy, Apprentice, Catacombs, Horn of Plenty, Grand Market

https://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150206/log.516e5516e4b082c74d7d5f0c.1423221737399.txt

This was another instance where I just completely fell apart in the face of a few bad decisions+bad luck. 5/2 isn't a particularly strong open for this board, but getting that Apprentice swindled really hurt. I wasn't really sure where to go from that point and ended up making a lot of random purchases which didn't really gel together. I thought I would try to cobble an engine together, but with Apprentice being the only trashing (and Awaclus taking full advantage of it), I'm thinking I should have tried to build some economy to try to replace that Apprentice as fast as possible.

Overall, I went 2.5 to 3.5 so I'm not super disappointed with myself but I still feel like I made some weak decisions on these two games.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1732
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 07:24:25 am »

Um, Transmute.  Duh.  It's immune to Swindler, and gels with Apprentice.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 08:45:40 am »
+2

Game 1: You simply get too many terminals.
I like the Watchtower, because it's great against Militia, Soothsayer and the expected Margraves. But the Moats are simply not worth the card slot they're taking. If you buy nothing on the turns you now got moat I think you're doing ok.

Game 2: Swindler is always a very nasty card. This set is obviously strong enough to build, but that also implies Swindler will wreak havoc.
Your money should come from playing Swindlers and having big hands, not from having golds.
Trashing down is not as good as it usually is, because this increases the chance of Swindler hitting your good cards.
If you can get big hands you can play your swindlers more often.
->
I don't like opening Apprentice/Pearl Diver. Apprentice is bad for trashing cheap cards. The $5 should probably be Catacombs although Swindler is also an option. The $2 should probably be nothing. The Pearl Diver barely adds any value and could be drawn dead or be swindled into estate (Almost all cards that interact with the top of your deck by either revealing or selecting something can make pearl diver worth it, but here none of that is happening). Adding Pearl Divers later probably still is good, but I'd rather open Catacombs/- then Catacombs/Pearl Diver.
After that, try to get some Villages, Catacombs/Smithies, and 2 Swindlers you try to play as often as possible.
Only after you've got that going add Horn and/or Apprentice.
Join the Dominion League!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.