Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 80  All

Author Topic: M68: Fanfiction Mafia (Game over, Mafia wins flawlessly)  (Read 198371 times)

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
Re: M68: Fanfiction Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #400 on: September 14, 2015, 01:11:27 pm »

I agree that Faust strikes me as townier this game, however that does nothing to dissuade me from voting PPS. Also townier on yuma

townier than which game?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 14, 2015, 01:11:36 pm »

Boo.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 14, 2015, 01:13:35 pm »

Back on claiming for a minute.  As far as "solving" goes, the best claims to follow masons are the guaranteed double letters...so full cop and full vig.

But, well, I think that'd be bad.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #403 on: September 14, 2015, 01:23:52 pm »

Town is epitome of antitown, and stubbornly so.  Aside from the minor town benefit of presenting himself as a viable mislynch target for scum, I'm led to assume this is for the purpose of ease of replication for scum games.  Scum is, then, an attempt to emulate the former.

I play every game with no intentions other than winning that particular game, and I believe my playstyle is pro-town whenever I'm town.

I think he does a good job of emulating his town self as scum, mostly because it's all about being mysterious, not explaining things, not giving any actual opinions.  He likes to vote without reason, call people scummy or towny without reasons, etc.

I never do anything without reasons, I just don't explain those reasons. Even as scum, I think up fake reasons that I have recently learned to post less than I used to.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 14, 2015, 01:26:58 pm »

Computer is toast.
Should be able to borrow laptop tomorrow afternoon.
I'll catch up then.

unvote

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 14, 2015, 01:27:51 pm »

I think he does a good job of emulating his town self as scum, mostly because it's all about being mysterious, not explaining things, not giving any actual opinions.  He likes to vote without reason, call people scummy or towny without reasons, etc.

I feel like if he all of a sudden were more towny, it wouldn't mean he's scum, just that he's finally come around.

And the only reason he'll ever come around is because he's been lynched too often.

ok

vote: awalcus

Vote: yuma

Isn't this kind of policy voting for a policy vote?

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 14, 2015, 01:33:46 pm »

vote: Hydrad

His first post comes off scummy to me and he doesn't really add to his towniness with his other posts.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 14, 2015, 02:02:12 pm »

Looks like generally less than average as town, at or more than average as scum.

That's a generalization, of course.
???
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 14, 2015, 03:15:43 pm »

I agree that Faust strikes me as townier this game, however that does nothing to dissuade me from voting PPS. Also townier on yuma

townier than which game?

Townier as opposed to scummier

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 14, 2015, 04:45:57 pm »

I never do anything without reasons, I just don't explain those reasons. Even as scum, I think up fake reasons that I have recently learned to post less than I used to.

I am legitimately curious about this. Why do you not post explanations? Do you answer people when they ask for explanations? (answering this question in a sense answers that question...) Do you see any value in posting explanations when other people post explanation or do you think we should all play this way? Basically I am wondering what you see as the benefit because if you see it, and if it really exists, maybe I should be posting with less public explanation...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 14, 2015, 04:57:35 pm »

I think withholding explanation does have its uses.  For one, if I think you're scum and you're town, well, no matter how much I explain, you're not going to buy my argument.  It can easily devolve into an argument.  Even if I think you're scum and you're scum, I may not have a great explanation or may not be able to articulate it well (really, I play by gut/feeling a lot), so it can also devolve into an argument or get debased.  Plus, misdirecting scum is a thing.    And similarly, the less information scum has, the less informed their decisions are. 

It can also be helpful to get interactions, responses, etc.  Sometimes a lone vote can lead to interesting things.

It also lets you fake reads much easier as scum.  If you don't prevent reasons or explanations for your (honest) reads, then you can argue that you can't be held accountable for not explaining your fabricated reads. 

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 14, 2015, 05:10:46 pm »

Hey folks, just checking in. I have the next two days after today off, so plenty of time to catch up.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 14, 2015, 05:22:05 pm »

I think withholding explanation does have its uses. 

Sure, I agree and have done as such in the past in limited fashion. But I am under the impression that Awaclus pretty much does it exclusively.

And it worth noting that not only has Awalcus not explained his reasoning for anything so far today, he hasn't done anything that would necessitate reason (or an explanation). See his prior 15 posts if you want to know what I am talking about. The only post that has a little bit of substance is the one where he continues chair's question about the 3 mafia in 9 VTs.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 14, 2015, 05:22:27 pm »

Just an idea: if there's a Universal Backup, should they claim?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 14, 2015, 05:25:16 pm »

I think yes. A UB only does something if the first PR to die is a 1-shot. With a claimed Mason, it seems most likely that this will not be the case.

I'm not a UB.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 14, 2015, 05:26:07 pm »

We discussed this earlier.  It's generally good, if there are masons, in my estimation.  It's basically another IC, and helps with setup solutions.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 14, 2015, 05:26:37 pm »

I think yes. A UB only does something if the first PR to die is a 1-shot. With a claimed Mason, it seems most likely that this will not be the case.

I'm not a UB.

Huh?  The UB inherits the first PR, 1-shot or not.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 14, 2015, 05:27:18 pm »

We discussed this earlier.  It's generally good, if there are masons, in my estimation.  It's basically another IC, and helps with setup solutions.

Yeah sorry, I just realised that. I support the idea, obviously.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 14, 2015, 05:28:40 pm »

I'm not a UB.

Huh?  The UB inherits the first PR, 1-shot or not.

Yeah okay, that makes more sense. This was the only UB description:

--If a 1-Shot PR is the first PR to die, the UB will inherit that role, even if the shot was used up. The UB will not receive a new shot.will fail.

But I guess that's not Universal.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 14, 2015, 05:29:12 pm »

Vote Count 1.2

faust (1): ashersky
Hydrad (3): Witherweaver, yuma, gkrieg13
ashersky (1): Hydrad
pingpongsam (1): Twistedarcher
yuma (1): faust
Twistedarcher (1): pingpongsam
UmbrageOfSnow (1): chairs

Not Voting (3): Awaclus, Jimmmmm, UmbrageOfSnow

With 12 alive, it takes 7 to lynch. Day 1 ends on September 21, 3 PM forum time.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: September 14, 2015, 05:44:59 pm »

I feel like if he all of a sudden were more towny, it wouldn't mean he's scum, just that he's finally come around.

And the only reason he'll ever come around is because he's been lynched too often.

ok

vote: awalcus

I am actually voting awalcus, but I think I will actually go back to vote: hydrad

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #421 on: September 14, 2015, 06:22:19 pm »

I am legitimately curious about this. Why do you not post explanations? Do you answer people when they ask for explanations? (answering this question in a sense answers that question...) Do you see any value in posting explanations when other people post explanation or do you think we should all play this way? Basically I am wondering what you see as the benefit because if you see it, and if it really exists, maybe I should be posting with less public explanation...

Well, the experience I have had as playing scum is that when people explain their scum reads on me, it's a lot easier for me to explain them away. As town, I don't think I need to hear the explanations for scum reads on me to argue against them, because I can just point to the consistent town narrative that I know for a fact is there, regardless of what the argument against me supposedly is. And I don't really want scum to explain my scum read on them away, so that's why I generally don't explain them. I might actually explain town reads sometimes; sometimes I can't be bothered with it if I think the reason should be obvious anyway.

Most of the time, I do actually answer people when they ask for explanations, but the answer I tend to give in this situation is "because you're scum".

There is certainly value in posting explanations sometimes, e.g. when you notice something nobody else has noticed, or possibly have an investigative result on someone. Even in the former case, I like to just quote the posts of interest to draw attention to them without much further explanation, but at that point it doesn't really make a difference either way so it's more of a stylistic thing. I do think that other people oftentimes explain things too much when it's not really useful to do so. I'm not really sure what the perfect balance is, though.

It also lets you fake reads much easier as scum.  If you don't prevent reasons or explanations for your (honest) reads, then you can argue that you can't be held accountable for not explaining your fabricated reads.

Which is 100% irrelevant because you can always fabricate an explanation as easily as you can fabricate a read in the first place.

I am actually voting awalcus

You might need to spell my name correctly if you want the vote to count.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 14, 2015, 07:08:06 pm »

Exact name syntax has never been required in any game I have ever played before and if mine didn't count then neither should have votes on "ash" or ww" but sorry for getting your name wrong, I'll try to get it right the next time I vote for you. :)

But now that I am def not voting for you and am voting for hydrad, I'll ask what you think of him?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Mod message
« Reply #423 on: September 14, 2015, 07:17:48 pm »

Exact name syntax has never been required in any game I have ever played before and if mine didn't count then neither should have votes on "ash" or ww" but sorry for getting your name wrong, I'll try to get it right the next time I vote for you. :)

But now that I am def not voting for you and am voting for hydrad, I'll ask what you think of him?

I am counting votes with common nicknames, but not with spelling errors. Part of the reason is that I do vote counts via program and not by hand, another part is that I like there to be the potential for fake hammers and such.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 14, 2015, 08:29:01 pm »

Hmm.

I think Hydrad is a wonderful guy and the obviously most towny player in the game. Scum may as well just surrender since they know they are going to lose.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 80  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 16 queries.