Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1176589 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #3825 on: June 20, 2014, 09:30:12 am »
+5

More nerdy online games!  Now you, too, can relive 9th grade geometry class.

http://euclidthegame.org
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: June 20, 2014, 10:14:00 am »

Nearly failed lvl 5... I feel stupid.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: June 20, 2014, 10:23:07 am »

I just realized I didn't learn how to properly construct stuff in school.

I'm pretty sure we just assumed a compass could just take the length of a line segment and draw a circle of taht length around any point.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: June 20, 2014, 10:27:38 am »

I just realized I didn't learn how to properly construct stuff in school.

I'm pretty sure we just assumed a compass could just take the length of a line segment and draw a circle of taht length around any point.

Yeah, I think we did that too.  But I'm trying to make my brain remember information from 23 years ago...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: June 20, 2014, 11:24:10 am »

It makes me feel really bad when I draw unnecessary lines... still, very cool. Have you guys finished it?

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: June 20, 2014, 11:29:15 am »

Is anyone here good with STATA?  I'm not, and have to do something in it anyway, and just need help with what should be a simple function.. but can't quite find the answer I'm looking for.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: June 20, 2014, 11:49:16 am »

Stuck at lvl 20 :(

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: June 20, 2014, 12:37:52 pm »

Hint, although there is a faster solution in the comments in that site:

Some judicious use of Thales/similitudes should help you find out where the outer tangents intersect each other, and then you just have to draw the tangent to the circle through that point. The same applies for the inner tangents, although the picture does get more crowded.

20 is the last level. I found 11 (or was it 13? The one where you have to trisect a distance) and 19 interesting too

Inb4 Ozle posts more cryptic puzzles.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:51:13 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: June 20, 2014, 12:59:29 pm »

Level 20 is to construct a simple closed curve that fails to partition the space into an "inside" and an "outside".

...Or prove that such a construction is impossible.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: June 20, 2014, 02:20:33 pm »

Is anyone here good with STATA? 

Yes.

Will I remember to check this thread again to answer your question....? Hmmm. Maybe.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: June 20, 2014, 07:12:34 pm »
+2

Did anyone else find level 18 has mechanical issues? The simplest way to do it seems to be scuppered by the translate tool not working properly. You need to draw three circles tangential to each other all with radius AB. The obvious starting move is to translate AB to the point B, giving circle centered at C. But you can't translate AB onto the point B, forcing you to do something slightly more convoluted to get what should be a simple point.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:16:09 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1195
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: June 20, 2014, 07:16:58 pm »

Did anyone else find level 18 has mechanical issues? The simplest way to do it seems to be scuppered by the translate tool not working properly. You need to draw three circles tangential to each other all with radius AB. The obvious starting move is to translate AB to the point B, giving circle centered at C. But you can't translate AB onto the point B, forcing you to do something slightly more convoluted to get what should be a simple point.

Yea, that's why I stopped at level 18.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: June 20, 2014, 07:41:06 pm »
+2

It's not really too hard to work around, but it's a little annoying. Just finished the game, took about 70 minutes, which considering I should really have been in bed around 70 minutes ago, I don't think is too bad. Thanks a lot, Kirian.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: June 20, 2014, 09:37:03 pm »

It's not really too hard to work around, but it's a little annoying. Just finished the game, took about 70 minutes, which considering I should really have been in bed around 70 minutes ago, I don't think is too bad. Thanks a lot, Kirian.

How many levels are there in total?  It was taking too long for me to figure out level 15 so I'm taking a break for a little while.

Edit: oh, somebody already said 20 was the last one.  And 15 wasn't hard at all. :D

Edit: and now I get to be stuck on 20 as well.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:53:20 am by eHalcyon »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: June 20, 2014, 10:33:29 pm »

If you go look at Level 8 where you get the translate tool, the construction given done in that level wouldn't work to do the translation you're trying to do.  But that translation is quicker to do by extending segment AB into a line, then drawing the circle of the same radius centered on B.

I'm still having difficulty with 20, though I hadn't even gotten through level 6 when I first posted it... had to work around making time for other stuff!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3840 on: June 21, 2014, 02:14:21 am »

If you go look at Level 8 where you get the translate tool, the construction given done in that level wouldn't work to do the translation you're trying to do.  But that translation is quicker to do by extending segment AB into a line, then drawing the circle of the same radius centered on B.

I'm still having difficulty with 20, though I hadn't even gotten through level 6 when I first posted it... had to work around making time for other stuff!

You can also translate the segment into a random segment in empty space, then translate the random segment where you actually want it.

That was a fun problem though.  I just drew a bunch of circles.

Edit: still stuck on 20... I think I know how to find the point where the inner tangents would cross, but I don't know how to use that to find the actual tangent line.  And same for the point where the outer tangents would cross... ugh.

Edit: Got it.  Not sure why it works though.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 03:07:25 am by eHalcyon »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: June 21, 2014, 03:34:19 am »

Some judicious use of Thales/similitudes should help you find out where the outer tangents intersect each other, and then you just have to draw the tangent to the circle through that point. The same applies for the inner tangents, although the picture does get more crowded.

20 is the last level. I found 11 (or was it 13? The one where you have to trisect a distance) and 19 interesting too

The trisect one was annoying because it wouldn't recognize the intersect I created.  I had to draw two superfluous lines before it would let me place the intersection.

Someone in the comments did the same solution as I did:

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/1105/3330/original.jpg?w=800&h

but I can't place the points J and K.  My workaround was:

Place points where triangle ABC intersects line HI.
Draw lines perpendicular to HI through each of those two points.  These lines also trisect AB.
NOW place those trisecting points.

Not sure how the commenter got it to work when I couldn't.  Just a weird bug I guess.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: June 21, 2014, 11:25:49 am »

Is there a better way to solve 19 than using the properties of the centroid of a triangle? I had to reach deep into my lost geometry knowledge for that one haha
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: June 21, 2014, 11:48:06 am »

I'll correct my previous post: level 11, where you have to move an angle around, was interesting. Didn't find any pretty way to do it, though, just translated the two segments and then drew a bunch of circles and perpendicular lines. EDIT: ok, no, found a way cleaner way to do it. Circles are cool.

I think I did 19 as Walrus, radius of circumscribed circle of equilateral triangle is 1/sqrt(3) of side, rinse and repeat. Was a complete mess by the end :P eHalcyon's solution is much prettier! I did encounter the same bug he did, the segment AB didn't want to intersect with my other stuff, so I had to draw extra lines.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:54:21 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: June 21, 2014, 12:46:57 pm »

I got a D in geometry in 10th grade so count me out of this one. Have fun though!
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: June 21, 2014, 01:19:16 pm »

Compass and straight edge constructions were literally my least favorite part of math ever. Had they been presented this manner I might have actually enjoyed them!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:31:42 pm by WalrusMcFishSr »
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: June 21, 2014, 02:25:53 pm »

TES:Skyrim is currently on Sale on Steam.

I can either get the base game for €3,74 or the legendary edition (which contains the 3 downloadable expansion packs) for €10,19.
I'm pretty sure the legendary edition isn't worth it, can anyone confirm?

Are there ay plugins that won't work without the expansions?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #3847 on: June 21, 2014, 02:46:52 pm »

I picked up the Legendary edition for my Xbox off amazon for $20 a while back. I really enjoyed building my own house. I don't know much about the other DLC parts though.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: June 21, 2014, 02:50:04 pm »
+2

Is there a better way to solve 19 than using the properties of the centroid of a triangle? I had to reach deep into my lost geometry knowledge for that one haha

My solution: Draw a line parallel to AB, and place points C, D, E, and F on it so that CD=DE=EF.  Then make a ray through AC and BF; label the point where they (AC and BF) intersect G.  Then make rays through GD and GE, and wherever those rays intersect AB will trisect AB.

Basically, you make your own trisected line segment, and then scale it up to AB.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: June 21, 2014, 02:53:46 pm »

For 19, I used the fact that the centroid of a triangle partitions the medians 2:1
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 16 queries.