Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Seriously, I'm Gone From Goko Until They Implement Auto-Resign  (Read 18148 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
Re: Seriously, I'm Gone From Goko Until They Implement Auto-Resign
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2013, 01:42:19 pm »

@Rob/Ftl I "quit" because my computer crashed and was being sarcastic about it in my post. This would have been one of the easiest wins ever against a player of much lower rank whom I only played because I didn't feel like waiting any longer.

I think that's really far down the list of priorities tbh.  I am habituated to the fact that in most online games, if I disconnect, I lose, and such is life.
Huh, well, I'm so completely not used to this! The only two games I've played online prior to Goko dominion are poker at many different sites and Isotropic dominion. Every single time my computer has ever crashed or my connection went down or whatever, I've been able to reconnect and rejoin the games. I probably played about a million hands of poker or so, so that's saying alot!

I found the quitters frustrating, but losing because of a computer crash really puts me on lifetilt and makes me reluctant to play again.

I guess none of us read it as sarcasm because Minion is terrible against Tunnel.  What were you thinking?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2013, 01:51:15 pm »

@Rob/Ftl I "quit" because my computer crashed and was being sarcastic about it in my post. This would have been one of the easiest wins ever against a player of much lower rank whom I only played because I didn't feel like waiting any longer.

I think that's really far down the list of priorities tbh.  I am habituated to the fact that in most online games, if I disconnect, I lose, and such is life.
Huh, well, I'm so completely not used to this! The only two games I've played online prior to Goko dominion are poker at many different sites and Isotropic dominion. Every single time my computer has ever crashed or my connection went down or whatever, I've been able to reconnect and rejoin the games. I probably played about a million hands of poker or so, so that's saying alot!

I found the quitters frustrating, but losing because of a computer crash really puts me on lifetilt and makes me reluctant to play again.

I guess none of us read it as sarcasm because Minion is terrible against Tunnel.  What were you thinking?
Huh what? I'd say Tunnel is about the worst card on that board! With Minion, Scheme, KC and Militia he'll be playing 3 card hands every turn. But I'm gonna try this board against a bot as your comment really surprised me!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10774
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2013, 02:08:59 pm »

Huh what? I'd say Tunnel is about the worst card on that board! With Minion, Scheme, KC and Militia he'll be playing 3 card hands every turn. But I'm gonna try this board against a bot as your comment really surprised me!

Yes, and with his Tunnels combined with your Minions and Militias, those 3 cards will all be Golds. ;D
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2013, 02:09:15 pm »

Yeah, but he will have like a billion Golds.

In my experience, Tunnel/Minion sets are hard to play correctly. It's not like you don't want any Minions, since they will activate your Tunnels, not just your opponents, but then of course they ruin the traditional Minion deck which doesn't want Treasure. But you know I think these things actually involve a bit of luck--if your opponent's Minion hits a hand without Tunnel and gives you a hand with Tunnel, that's pretty terrible, unless you have a Minion. Scheme/Minion is confusing too, frankly. Militia seems way more likely to help your opponent than hurt him, though, if he competently buys Tunnels.

Bottom line, I'm not sure exactly how to play this correctly, but I will be buying Tunnels, I can promise you that.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2013, 02:14:18 pm »

Or use tunnels to get gold, remake gold into KC. BM-Hamlet-Tunnel-Minion could very well lose to an appropriate KC engine with +Buy from hamlet, but it's not at all clear from the start of the game that you were ahead. Well, not clear to me at least.  You were ahead by a minion, but you were behind on trashing; you didn't have a remake yet, whereas he'd already gotten one AND used it once AND switched out his hovel for a tunnel already. That's why I didn't realize your sarcasm, looking at the openings I really didn't get the idea that you were clearly ahead or anything.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2013, 02:16:03 pm »
+1

I'm almost positive buying tunnels for anything other than late game points on the board is not the right move. Go ahead and load up on Golds and get your maybe 1 province per turn. I'll be getting 2 or more and have almost complete immunity to greening so I'll grab all the duchies too if I need them. Really the trick on this board is winning the minion split. And early tunnels interfere with that greatly.

Actually I take some of that back. I might pick up a tunnel in the mid game with hopes of triggering them myself and remaking gold to KC, but that balance is sort of tricky.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 02:17:26 pm by jonts26 »

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2013, 02:29:27 pm »

What about the early tunnel in a Hovel hand? It doesn't increase deck size, it trashes a hovel with it. Exchanging 1st-turn advantage for a tunnel instead of a hovel, and for a bunch of golds throughout the rest of the game. 

I mean, here it's pretty trivial to do the tunnel->Gold->KC thing. The t1 tunnel doesn't increase deck size, remake will instantly give you 2 hamlets out of the other 2 shelters, and the necessary collisions will just happen soon enough without anything else to set them up.

And trashing? Skip remake entirely to win the minion split? That doesn't seem right; with oracle for supplementary draw, winning the minion split doesn't seem as critical, if you win the minion split 6-4 at the expense of not trashing anything PLUS having a few silvers, I don't think you're in that great of a shape, your KCs will miss your minions in your 4-card untrashed hands, whereas 4 minions is quite enough if you've trashed everything else and can add in oracles for a more standard draw engine.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 02:31:56 pm by ftl »

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2013, 02:32:45 pm »

Had to sub Margrave for Minion since I haven't bought Intrigue, and I'm playing a bot, so maybe this isn't worth anything, but: Tunnels were effective.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2013, 02:34:39 pm »
+1

Minion plays very, very different from Margrave.

And with Minion and Tunnel, this is a *very* interactive set. I don't think that a game against a not-very-good bot is indicative of anything. (There's King's Court on the board with a good engine available. This game should be over with somebody being able to buy all the provinces by turn 16-17 at the latest, IMO. Your game lasted 21 turns. I can't play a game and post a log to demonstrate right now, but I think that's not a very controversial statement, KC is super-good and there's all the components for a good engine to be made here.)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 02:39:25 pm by ftl »

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2013, 02:40:06 pm »

What about the early tunnel in a Hovel hand? It doesn't increase deck size, it trashes a hovel with it. Exchanging 1st-turn advantage for a tunnel instead of a hovel, and for a bunch of golds throughout the rest of the game. 

I mean, here it's pretty trivial to do the tunnel->Gold->KC thing. The t1 tunnel doesn't increase deck size, remake will instantly give you 2 hamlets out of the other 2 shelters, and the necessary collisions will just happen soon enough without anything else to set them up.

And trashing? Skip remake entirely to win the minion split? That doesn't seem right; with oracle for supplementary draw, winning the minion split doesn't seem as critical, if you win the minion split 6-4 at the expense of not trashing anything PLUS having a few silvers, I don't think you're in that great of a shape, your KCs will miss your minions in your 4-card untrashed hands, whereas 4 minions is quite enough if you've trashed everything else and can add in oracles for a more standard draw engine.

I never said don't open remake. I said don't get an early tunnel. I might consider hovel to tunnel if I have the right draw for it, but that's not a plan going in I think, more of just capitalizing on the right opportunity like a 5 copper mint or something.

Anyway, you could skip trashing and still have a reilable engine. So maybe you can ignore remake opening turns. Especially since you cant remake-> silver to get any sort of early economy. I'd have to test it a few times. You'll be faster in the first few turns, slower in the middle turns when you have more junk you cant deal with, and it doesn't matter much in the later turns when you can scheme everything you need.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2013, 03:18:15 pm »
+1

Lots of games out there won't let you reconnect.  Starcraft immediately comes to mind.  WOW lets you reconnect but you lose a couple minutes of time, so hopefully you were DPS and not a tank or healer.  I assume most FPS and RTS games are the same way.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2013, 03:22:08 pm »
+3

This isn't a problem with Goko, it's a problem with you.  Sometimes you lose games that you should have won.  Other times, you win games you should have lost.  As a poker player you should be better about not going on tilt.

Disconnecting is part of life, it happens.  Sometimes I get a free loss, sometimes I get a free win.  Not worth implementing reconnection, I think.  For example, how long does the other guy have to wait?  5 minutes?  10 minutes?  1 minute?

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2013, 03:27:21 pm »

Most likely the same amount of time they'd have to wait if you simply walked away from your keyboard and stopped playing.

Reconnecting doesn't work at all in real-time games like Starcraft or WoW, but it makes perfect sense for a turn-based game.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:29:20 pm by ftl »

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2013, 05:18:38 pm »

For example, how long does the other guy have to wait?  5 minutes?  10 minutes?  1 minute?
I think something like 20% of average 2-player Goko game duration could be a fair choice if the other guy actually is a guy. And indefinitely (at least till system logs you out) if the other guy is a bot. I have lost 3 games yesterday against a bot due to disconnects that lasted around 10 seconds each.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2013, 05:27:03 pm »

The last 2 games where my opponent disconnected and I eventually got the "Opponent Quit" screen, I actually received an increase rating points.  Previously, I never received any when this occurred.  Does anyone know if they actually finally addressed this issue?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2013, 05:29:05 pm »

The last 2 games where my opponent disconnected and I eventually got the "Opponent Quit" screen, I actually received an increase rating points.  Previously, I never received any when this occurred.  Does anyone know if they actually finally addressed this issue?

Yes, quitting results in a loss now.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2013, 12:42:28 am »

It took me a bit before I realized you were being sarcastic.  I'm actually not sure if KC-Minion dominates Hamlet-Tunnel.  The latter could get a lot of Gold, after all (not only Hamlet triggering, but Minions too), and +Buy to boot.  KC-Minion is probably better (especially after you get some Hamlets too) but I don't know.  Not super clear cut to me.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.