Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 84  All

Author Topic: BM30: MacGuffin Mafia (Game Over, Scum and Treasure Hunter win!)  (Read 198265 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: BM30: MacGuffin Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #325 on: April 27, 2020, 03:26:39 pm »

But if mail-mi were scum, he could just have said that the item he needed was blueberries or glasses, right? Then he could neatly sidestep the 1v1. Instead, mail-mi volunteered that the item he needed was the rope. I don't think the scum narrative makes any sense for either of them if you really scrutinize it.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 27, 2020, 03:27:50 pm »

I can't say I understand the votes on me.
Do people honestly think scum!me would choose to play D1 like this?

Yes.
So like, what do you think my scum plan is? Get mail-mi lynched today, then when he flips town, I somehow avoid the lynch tomorrow? There's no way I'd by choice put myself in a 1v1 on the first day. Come on.

Yes. What do you think scum!mail-mi's plan is?
To get the rope, which he didn't know somebody else needs.

That's your plan, isn't it? You breadcrumbed the item you need, which means you need to point out if someone else said it otherwise you're lynched eventually.
Nobody caught it or would have caught it ever. In fact, even after I stated that someone listed my item, you still didn't know who it was or which item. This is honestly absurd.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 27, 2020, 03:29:05 pm »

After you claimed to get the rope in a future day, people would catch onto it.

But if mail-mi were scum, he could just have said that the item he needed was blueberries or glasses, right? Then he could neatly sidestep the 1v1. Instead, mail-mi volunteered that the item he needed was the rope. I don't think the scum narrative makes any sense for either of them if you really scrutinize it.

Interesting.

I think this is town vs town but skip's scum for reasons surrounding this but not directly because they both need rope.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 27, 2020, 03:30:23 pm »

That's a fair point.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 27, 2020, 03:31:06 pm »

If he claimed to by total chance pick out of a hat one of the thousands of words in the English language and it just happened to be the rope I need, we'd lynch him for sure. Actually I was hoping he would do that when I told him to claim

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 27, 2020, 03:34:32 pm »

I don't get this. If I were scum, why would I ever claim to get the rope?

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 27, 2020, 03:35:07 pm »

Because town gave it to you.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 27, 2020, 03:37:11 pm »

If I never said anything, why would they give it to me?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #333 on: April 27, 2020, 03:37:42 pm »

I also need the rope

That can be arranged! Vote: skip
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 27, 2020, 03:39:20 pm »

Because while people that don’t have it and don’t know that it’s an item may have missed your hidden claim, the person who has it would likely have ctrl-f the thread and found it.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 27, 2020, 03:39:49 pm »

I also need the rope

That can be arranged! Vote: skip
I know it'll be hard not to read this as sarcasm, but that is funny.

I'm town though.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 27, 2020, 03:40:24 pm »

I'm on my phone and only sort of following but I'm comfortable with vote: mail-mi
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 27, 2020, 03:42:21 pm »

I think I have to vote: mail-mi here. In a vacuum, I was finding skip scummier this game, but I think the Occam's razor of this situation is that (A) it's more likely than not that one of them is scum and (B) mail-mi is the more likely scum than skip.

Lynching one of them has the added benefit that whoever has the rope can feel pretty safe about handing it to the survivor if the lynch flipped scum or withholding it if the lynch flipped town.

The downside is if we're wrong about the setup assumption and they're both town we could find ourselves set up for the double mislynch, as someone else pointed out. But mislynches the first two days are not that uncommon in mafia and usually survivable.

He/him

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 27, 2020, 03:42:24 pm »

Because while people that don’t have it and don’t know that it’s an item may have missed your hidden claim, the person who has it would likely have ctrl-f the thread and found it.
Ok I honestly think they'd give it to mail-mi who explicitly put it in his list.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 27, 2020, 03:43:01 pm »

Vote:Swan

All things considered, it's usually town rather than scum than comes out early with claims in games like these, the downside of doing so generally being risking an early death which town tends to mind less. I see no reason to assume that two people who need the rope couldn't both be town. The people looking most scummy to me right now are the ones that are lining up two lynches from this, just doesn't seem warranted from the information we have.

ppe: behind a bit

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 27, 2020, 03:47:16 pm »

vote: eevee
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 27, 2020, 03:49:38 pm »

vote: skip

I'll join this. I agree that the game design seems more elegant to be different factions needing the same item. Heck, they could even both be different scum factions and thinking it's town vs scum?

The other thing we could do is ask them to claim why they need the rope? That would provide us some insight into who's townier or who's scummier.

ppe 16!; wrote this had work call, I'm sticking to it while I catch up!
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 27, 2020, 03:50:27 pm »

Unofficial vote count (8 to lynch)

skip wooznum (5): Awaclus, faust, mail-mi, MiX, scolapasta
mail-mi (3):skip wooznum, LaLight, joth
Joseph2302 (2): WestCoastDidds, scolapasta
Scolapasta (1): Joseph2302
DatSwan (1): Eevee
Eevee (1): ADK
MiX (1): sudgy

Not voting (2): Galzria, DatSwan

He/him

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 27, 2020, 03:52:09 pm »

All things considered, it's usually town rather than scum than comes out early with claims in games like these, the downside of doing so generally being risking an early death which town tends to mind less. I see no reason to assume that two people who need the rope couldn't both be town. The people looking most scummy to me right now are the ones that are lining up two lynches from this, just doesn't seem warranted from the information we have.

I'm not saying it's tantamount to an investigative result. My feeling though, is that this evidence definitely is way more telling than any reads-based evidence that we're going to get D1. I think it's considerably more likely that mail-mi is scum than town, and as much as I love the idea of me having good reads and finding scum the old fashioned way, I'm prepared to admit I'm not very good at it.

Is it possible two townies need the same item? Yes. Considering it from a game design standpoint, not to mention certain implications in the flavor post that we each need to find our own luggage, I find more likely that scum needs my rope.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 27, 2020, 03:52:45 pm »

The other thing we could do is ask them to claim why they need the rope? That would provide us some insight into who's townier or who's scummier.

I had this thought as well. The scum player will most likely have to lie and might give themselves away, but it also means  giving away a town power that scum then has to play around. Although, honestly, if we're right and we lynch scum, I expect the survivor to be the N1 kill so it might well be moot anyway...

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 27, 2020, 03:53:30 pm »

Another word for “elegant” here, as it’s suggested, is “solvable”. I doubt very much it’s that.

FoS on Joth & Swan, extended to Scola for playing follow-the-bad-reason.

But best vote is vote: ADK
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 27, 2020, 03:53:45 pm »

vote: skip

I'll join this. I agree that the game design seems more elegant to be different factions needing the same item. Heck, they could even both be different scum factions and thinking it's town vs scum?

ppe 16!; wrote this had work call, I'm sticking to it while I catch up!
I'm not going to claim my power, but looking from an outside point of view, it's more likely to be a town than scum power.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 27, 2020, 03:57:48 pm »

Another word for “elegant” here, as it’s suggested, is “solvable”. I doubt very much it’s that.
I wouldn't say it's solvable. In the first place, mail-mi didn't have to claim rope.

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 27, 2020, 03:59:50 pm »

I think you must of mis-interpreted something I have said? I am not advocating the lynch of anyone. The last thing i posted was pulling the Joth quote... so if it is that I wanna make it super clear I am not on team "lynch one then the other here". Which is why I am not voting.
I also, previously stated that I think it is potentially likely that it could of been a town to town signal.

Whatever, regardless... not trying to line up any lynches.
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 27, 2020, 04:05:59 pm »

FoS on Joth & Swan, extended to Scola for playing follow-the-bad-reason.

But best vote is vote: ADK

vote: Galzria

I'm not sure which one of them is your partner, but nice try saving them.

Think about it folks, if scum really is in a 1v1 here, there's no good outcome for them -- even if they manage to get town to pick the other one, their guy just gets lynched tomorrow.  The only move for a scum partner here that saves their partner for real is to attack the whole premise of the 1 v 1 and attack it hard, so hard that you make people feel stupid for believing in it and they back off. That's Galz here to a T.

He/him
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 84  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.