Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Absolutely the most embarrassing loss I've ever suffered.  (Read 5924 times)

occupy grand market

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Absolutely the most embarrassing loss I've ever suffered.
« on: May 08, 2012, 10:44:27 pm »

The game is over! (Goons, King's Courts, and Worker's Villages are all gone.)
ScottyMO has 385 points (369 ▼, a Colony, and a Province) and took 11 turns.
occupy grand market has 4 points (4 ▼) and took 10 turns.

Chapel, Quarry, Wharf, and the three cards mentioned above were key. Grand Markets were also in the mix but hardly played a role. No idea what to say except I'm done for the night.

occupy grand market

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
Re: Absolutely the most embarrassing loss I've ever suffered.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:58:01 pm »

Already closed out, but I can get it when it goes up on councilroom or something. I can just summarize it here, too.

We both opened Quarry/Chapel. He had somewhat better draws early on (maybe? maybe I was just playing terribly?) and got an early Wharf and got rid of a bunch of Estates. Being stupid, I chose not to Chapel too much and instead went for an early Goons. He ended up grabbing 3 Quarries to my one. He stayed away Markets and Grand Markets and just got a bunch of King's Courts, Wharves, and Worker's Villages. I built my deck up slowly, Chapeling stuff but not enough, and stayed on one Quarry. He had a turn where he King's Courted a bunch of Worker's Villages and Wharves. After that turn it was a one-turn shitshow, since all three of his Quarries were up by the end of that. He bought five or six more King's Courts (costing $1, the only non-free action card), the nine remaining Goons(es?), and some Grand Markets. Final turn, he drew his whole deck with Worker's Villages, King's Courted a bunch of Goons and Grand Markets, played the rest of his Goons(es?), and had what I guess must have been forty-one buys. +9VP for each buy and you see the result.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:03:50 pm by occupy grand market »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4388
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 11:50:20 pm »

In fact, it's possible to have this playing 'perfectly' - a little luck can lead to MASSIVE blowouts in such games. Heck, first turn advantage can lead to massive blowouts in such games. Hard to say too much more without seeing a log.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 02:31:57 am »

In fact, it's possible to have this playing 'perfectly' - a little luck can lead to MASSIVE blowouts in such games. Heck, first turn advantage can lead to massive blowouts in such games. Hard to say too much more without seeing a log.

but I would guess that only 1 Quarry is almost certainly wrong here. WW, Wharf, Goons, GM will give massive +buy, and you want the stuff to be as cheap as possible. There is no reason to buy other money than Quarry, and if you Chapel down, you will need 3 of them.
But that's really an insane game, Chapel/Quarry/GM is exremly stong, and here we have a setting with it where you want to ignore the GM.

occupy grand market

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 04:58:38 pm »

but I would guess that only 1 Quarry is almost certainly wrong here. WW, Wharf, Goons, GM will give massive +buy, and you want the stuff to be as cheap as possible. There is no reason to buy other money than Quarry, and if you Chapel down, you will need 3 of them.
But that's really an insane game, Chapel/Quarry/GM is exremly stong, and here we have a setting with it where you want to ignore the GM.
Yup, exactly. It's obvious in hindsight that I misplayed this, but even opening Curse/Curse would almost never lead to me losing by 381 points in 11 turns.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 05:26:34 pm »

Yup, exactly. It's obvious in hindsight that I misplayed this, but even opening Curse/Curse would almost never lead to me losing by 381 points in 11 turns.

Indeed, you would have lost by even more =P

occupy grand market

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 05:49:27 pm »

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120508-194136-295872e9.html

Here it is. Rereading it, I see that I did get some bad draws, and also did some pretty dumb things (including getting Worker's Village/Smithy when I thought I had 3 buys; should have gotten Worker's Village/Quarry, I guess).

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 10:33:58 pm »
+5

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120508-194136-295872e9.html

Here it is. Rereading it, I see that I did get some bad draws, and also did some pretty dumb things (including getting Worker's Village/Smithy when I thought I had 3 buys; should have gotten Worker's Village/Quarry, I guess).

I was about to say:

What is most impressive about this is that its an absolute legitimate scoring of 300+ points.  I can't remember ever scoring that many - ....

And then I looked at the log.  This was a setup game.  All 10 cards were constrained.  Someone knew what they were doing.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 10:40:55 pm »
+1

I was about to say:

What is most impressive about this is that its an absolute legitimate scoring of 300+ points.  I can't remember ever scoring that many - ....

And then I looked at the log.  This was a setup game.  All 10 cards were constrained.  Someone knew what they were doing.

I had the exact same thought process, but I didn't think to look at the constrained cards. That's too bad because if it were legitimate and spontaneous, that's just beautiful play. But that kingdom was a little too perfect.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 10:41:33 pm »
+1

I dare say your decision to forgo trashing three Coppers in order to get the Goons on T4 was already enough to cost you the game.  The fact that he trashed two Estates on T4 and got a second Quarry sealed the deal.  He also got very, very good draws, which is the reason he was able to do that in 11 turns.

I'd call showboating on his part, but, man, if you can do that all in one turn, it's impressive enough to watch that it hardly counts as showboating.

Edit:  Heh, just noticed Frisk talking about the constraints.  Quite a bit less impressive, then.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 10:47:02 pm »

Yep.

http://councilroom.com/search_result?p1_name=ScottyMO

Check out the card lists for his recent games.

He doesn't always play the same kingdom, but a lot of them look very similar. His past 40-45 games or so, with a few exceptions, have been minor variations on kc/quarry/wharf/goons/workers village stuff. So yeah, he probably did play it perfectly, or at least significantly more perfectly than somebody seeing the kingdom for the first time.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:53:29 pm by ftl »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 10:58:01 pm »

At least you're not the guy who got smoked 885 to 50 in 16 turns: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120508-191604-2d5f681d.html

I think I'm going to avoid this guy.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 11:00:32 pm »
+3

"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 11:06:27 pm »
+5

I really hope he thinks he is gaming the leaderboard rankings, but doesn't realize card constraints exclude him from it.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 01:23:25 am »
+1

Just played a game that made me think of this one.  Quarry+Grand Market+Wharf.  No Kings Court, though.  But there was Menagerie and Hamlet, which is one of my absolute favorite combos.  The result was a crazy-fast board and a 9-1 final score.

I think if I had played this differently I would have had a shot at ending the game in 9 turns.  And if my opponent had pursued the same strategy the game could have ended in 8 turns!

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/09/game-20120509-221856-37963469.html

occupy grand market

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 07:00:39 am »

Haha, didn't expect this thread to blow up. I agree about Chapeling the Coppers. Knowing he plays this Kingdom a lot makes me feel a little better, I guess. (Thank you for the research!) But I really ought to have been able to discern at least some of the critical features of the deck on the first go-round.

TylerK

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 05:08:48 pm »

You got the right general idea, at least. Given that you were completely set up, I think that's not too bad.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.