Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32  All

Author Topic: Mafia II: Of Goons and Woodcutters GAME OVER Mafia Wins!  (Read 97036 times)

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia II: Of Goons and Woodcutters (Day 2)
« Reply #575 on: May 28, 2012, 03:44:46 pm »

I didn't say we should lynch the counterclaimant (though I would if there was, because I am the doctor). I said if someone else was the doctor they should say so, because that would be good for the town, because then we could narrow down the mafia to a 1/2 choice. You were saying they shouldn't reveal, which is silly.

I didnt say they shouldn't reveal. Where did I say this? I said a counterclaim doesn't have much value to the town, not that it shouldn't be done because yes that would be a 1/2 choice.

The claims were infinitely valuable in Mafia I because they could afford to lose town. We can't
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 28, 2012, 04:34:00 pm »

Ugh. I feel like I'm watching Tennis. Insomniac and Robz have both made solid points. I honestly don't know what to think. One of them is Mafia (hell, maybe both. What a game that would be. I tip my hat if so).

If only one is, that means either J or V is. Ugh. This sucks. Well, what say you two? I am convinced the Mafia would be willing to risk losing somebody at this point, so throwing their teammate under the bus is not out of the question. I expect to hit Mafia here, but I expect to hit with 4 votes. So what think you two?
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 28, 2012, 04:50:15 pm »

Ugh. I feel like I'm watching Tennis. Insomniac and Robz have both made solid points. I honestly don't know what to think. One of them is Mafia (hell, maybe both. What a game that would be. I tip my hat if so).

If only one is, that means either J or V is. Ugh. This sucks. Well, what say you two? I am convinced the Mafia would be willing to risk losing somebody at this point, so throwing their teammate under the bus is not out of the question. I expect to hit Mafia here, but I expect to hit with 4 votes. So what think you two?

I think Robz has the better of the argument, though that could simply be because I am having trouble following Insomniac's argument.  As I understand it, if Robz were mafia he had a 2/3 chance of triggering a counterclaim when he claimed Doctor.  I haven't seen anything from Insomniac explaining WHY, if Robz were mafia, that he would run that risk.  But maybe i'm missing something?

Galzria, which "solid points" do you think Insomniac made?

I still want to hear why the mafia would kill bozzball instead of Insomniac if Insomniac were town.  I recall Insomniac wrote "because Robz is mafia" as a response but I confess I had trouble following his logic.  Can someone clarify?

Also, FWIW, Galzria's soliciting my and J's opinions before weighing in with any substance at all does not make me any less suspicious of G.  The opposite, in fact.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 28, 2012, 05:14:34 pm »

Voltgloss:
Do a little reading of Day 2 in Mafia 1. The counterclaimer gets lynched. To prove wrong or right so that you can have information to work off. What happens here if a counterclaim happens? No new information is gained, someone is lying we vote to kill one, we hit mafia then huray if not we lose. IF we hit mafia its still 2-1 and town can't get it wrong. (The night kill).

So why roleclaim? Because it doesn't matter and it gets people off his back. Yes he runs the risk but he also has a 33% chance there is no one to counterclaim, and even if there is we still might lose. Its a very hard fought battle from where we are. One that isn't won by roleclaiming and counterclaiming
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 28, 2012, 05:18:51 pm »

Volt: (at game, can't quote)

I agree with Insomniac in that I don't see the full value I'm a reveal with no way to really back it up. The Mafia can take more risks than us here.

As for soliciting before analyzing. Yes. I've led (or misled) twice now. I don't want to do so again. At this point I am more than happy to provide my opinion when asked, but I feel much less certain of myself. If I have to cast more suspicion on myself by listening instead of leading, so be it. We can't be wrong.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 28, 2012, 05:41:05 pm »

But if Robz were mafia, why run the risk of roleclaiming at aalll?  He wasn't in immediate danger of being lynched IF he is Mafia.  There was no chance of townies quickhammering - we have nothing to gain by rushing.  So if Robz were mafia, why run the risk of roleclaiming?  It doesn't look like a risk he needed to run.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 28, 2012, 05:43:50 pm »

But if Robz were mafia, why run the risk of roleclaiming at aalll?  He wasn't in immediate danger of being lynched IF he is Mafia.  There was no chance of townies quickhammering - we have nothing to gain by rushing.  So if Robz were mafia, why run the risk of roleclaiming?  It doesn't look like a risk he needed to run.

Quote from: Robz888
Insomniac is right that I revealed my role to get him off my back. That's because the vote for me was game over if Insomniac was not mafia, so it was really important to get him to unvote it. I also believed that guarding the secret of my role into another night was unlikely to be useful, because there are so many game over scenarios before we even get to that point.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 28, 2012, 05:53:43 pm »

That doesn't answer my question.  That's Robz's explanation for why he roleclaimed.  Robz's explanation only makes sense if he is town.  You think he is Mafia.  My question is, assuming Robz were Mafia, why did he roleclaim?  Why would he have felt the need to run a 66% risk of revealing to someone WITH CERTAINTY that he is Mafia?

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 28, 2012, 05:55:50 pm »

Look at how its shifted your opinion of him. Your almost unwilling to question him now. And well if he gets even one other person off his back with the risky roleclaim then it was worth it if not oh well hes under the bus and the mafia still have a good chance on day 4

I also think that your argument as to my not dying in the night making me mafia makes me suspect you as his partner as much as I don't want to believe that you two are a pair.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 28, 2012, 06:04:09 pm »

But there was no one on his back when he roleclaimed other than you, Insomniac.  If there were 2 votes on him, or 3 people voicing suspicion of him, then yes, I could see him taking the risk of a false roleclaim (if he were Mafia) because the risks associated with it would be BETTER odds than if he didn't try it.  But how was there an urgent need for a fake roleclaim at the time Robz claimed?

I'm going to stop replying until either J or R weigh in.  I really feel like neither I nor G are willing to answer my questions, and their refusal to do so just makes me more suspicious.

G, I, if either one of you is truly town, I REALLY need to hear from you why it would make sense for the mafia to kill bozzball instead of Insomniac.  Every time I ask this the subject gets changed.  PLEASE, if you are town, stop evading and simply provide your thoughts.  If there is a good explanation I need to hear it.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: May 28, 2012, 06:09:59 pm »

But there was no one on his back when he roleclaimed other than you, Insomniac.  If there were 2 votes on him, or 3 people voicing suspicion of him, then yes, I could see him taking the risk of a false roleclaim (if he were Mafia) because the risks associated with it would be BETTER odds than if he didn't try it.  But how was there an urgent need for a fake roleclaim at the time Robz claimed?

I'm going to stop replying until either J or R weigh in.  I really feel like neither I nor G are willing to answer my questions, and their refusal to do so just makes me more suspicious.

G, I, if either one of you is truly town, I REALLY need to hear from you why it would make sense for the mafia to kill bozzball instead of Insomniac.  Every time I ask this the subject gets changed.  PLEASE, if you are town, stop evading and simply provide your thoughts.  If there is a good explanation I need to hear it.

I have voiced my reasoning for this but will try to explain it better. Because I'm an easy lynch. Say I was killed in the night and confirmed town. Now say bozzball comes back and decides to do his part as he's needed. Or he gets replaced with an active player who in turn does their due dilligence. The mafia have a much harder chance of lynching town today if bozzball was replaced or became active having killed me then killing him.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 28, 2012, 06:17:23 pm »

I haven't avoided it. I said before that I SIMPLY DON'T KNOW. I was the only person willing to back Kuildeos's effort to lynch bozzball because keeping him seemed to be town suicide. K was town. I still believe his analysis was right. I see NO good reason bozzball should've died during the night, so I can't give you one.

Insomniac, me, or Volt made more sense. Can you really give me a good reason? If you/insomnic were Mafia, that would explain your continued existence, but that goes for all of us, right? So I don't know. I certainly can't draw any real conclusions, and won't risk a mistake to try and draw faulty ones.

Mafia Record:

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 28, 2012, 06:30:01 pm »

To put it simply the mafia had two choices kill bozzball, or someone else. They chose kill bozzball.

Option 1: Kill Bozzball
I was drawing a lot of attention on day 2. Most of you wanted to vote for me or Kuildeous. Of those that voted for Kuildeous some like Robz expressed a concern that I should be lynched not Kuildeous but voted for Kuildeous because it was less likely I would get votes. HOWEVER if people (like Robz) know that Im innocent they are building a case to lynch me on day 3. Now not killing me in the night will look suspicious as you pointed out Voltgloss.

Option 2: Kill x
For my reasoning assume that x is me. They kill me in the night. Now bozzball is inactive so all is good right? The mafia just auto-win. Wrong. Bozzball is town as we all know. So he would have been replaced on day 3. Or as he himself stated if he was going to get into it he would do his due dilligence. Assume that whomever is replaced would have done the same. You now have knowledge that X is town. If X is me, then who does that make mafia? It should be fairly obvious as many people have said that one of Robz and I is mafia. Maybe both. So the town and bozzball armed with the knowledge that X is town aim their guns squarely at the mafia and proceed to win.

You're forgetting Volt that bozzball would have been replaced. If he wasn't he promised to do his due dilligence to help out so I have to assume that he wasn't lying.

That said your coming out and saying my not dying makes me Mafia gives me a firm reason to believe that you are. As your own post shows a reason why the Mafia wouldn't have killed me. If you are mafia it would make sense for you to come out and say it and well we both know Robz doesn't think your mafia and you don't think he's mafia either. You guys keep backing each other up. Always subtely but always.

"Last night I protected volt"

"I think Robz has the better of the argument"

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 28, 2012, 10:43:08 pm »

Sorry I've been gone. RL stuff is big for me right now. I moved to a new city today and start a new job tomorrow morning. I think we can agree the timing is awful.

Re: The Bozzball Question

Volts, here is what you are discounting: This town has proven, again and again, that we are our own worst enemy.  What we refer to as "helpful town" has proven, again and again, to be "fatally unhelpful town." So if I were mafia, looking to put together the dream team to lynch another townie, I'd pick the five of us.

Here's another way to look at it: One way or another, the mafia have been manipulating our town lynch bandwagons. Our mafia are now supremely confident in their ability to manipulate this group of people. So they eliminated bozzball, who (A) might be replaced by a rogue element/fresh perspective (heaven forbid) and (B) would be a hard sell for the lynch mob (most of us expressed last round that they think he's town).

So the mafia, whoever they are amongst us, are confident either that we will do ourselves in or that they will be able to manipulate us into doing ourselves in.

I am going somewhere with this. Do I think that Robz's arguments and rhetoric have outclassed Insomniac's all the way? Yes I do. Does this mean Insomniac is mafia and Robz is town? NO IT DOESN'T. Our Mafia are really really good talkers.  I trust our best talkers the least right now, and that's Robz and Volt. We have to start playing this game differently than we have been playing it if we want to get different results than we've been getting.

Insomniac's crusade against Robz has been consistent, a quality that several of us has pointed out is quite townish. And he had a perfectly viable excuse to change targets going into Day 3 if he had wanted to.

Robz's doctor claim makes perfect sense to me as a mafia move.  If he waited to fakeclaim until he was about to be hammered, none of us would be buying it.  By timing it like he did, he's got many of you convinced and more worried about lynching than you were before.

Yes, there was a (insert math here) chance of a counterclaim. But given two days without our doctor letting anything slip, and facing the prospect of one more person joining Insomniac and I in our expressed sentiments against him, I think he concluded there was a good enough chance that we didn't have a doctor to risk the claim.

Consider the other case, where Robz really is town and doctor. Why wouldn't the mafia counterclaim? Imagine if Galz or Volt or I had counterclaimed as Doctor (pick the one you have the strongest town read on, for argument's sake). Who would you have believed? If the answer isn't Robz, than the mafia missed an opportunity here.

Am I sure of any of this? Absolutely not. But I've had a bad vibe about Robz since the start of Day 2. I've been determined to play based on evidence and not vibes. I've completely lost faith in that approach after the last two days.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 28, 2012, 11:45:06 pm »

Insomniac, thank you for your post #585.  I understand your position better now.  I don't necessarily agree with it, but I at least understand it, and that's the first step.

jotheonah, thank you for your last post.  Especially the point that most of us agreed yesterday bozzball is almost certainly Town.  I looked back over the last set of Day 2 posts and, yeah, I can see now where the Mafia might have simply had this sort of conversation Night 2:

- "Who do we kill tonight?"
- "Well, who do the townies think is the most likely person to be Town?"
- "Well, given how hard everyone came down on Kuildeous when he tried to avoid his fate by sacrificing bozzball, I guess that would be... bozzball."
- "Sounds good.  Go shoot him.  Hell, he probably won't even notice."

I wasn't seeing this simpler possibility back when I first saw the night's kill results.  I guess I was thinking about things TOO hard.  (Now THERE'S a common offense in this game.) 

So, for whatever it's worth, I no longer think the sole fact of Insomniac's living through the night makes him the most likely Mafia suspect.  An alternate explanation for bozzball dying instead has been presented, and I can accept it as reasonably likely. 

That said, I am not sold on the idea that Robz roleclaiming is a Mafia tell.  jotheonah, you commented that if Robz is truly the Doctor, the Mafia should have counterclaimed.  I'm not so sure about that.  Consider the two scenarios:

1.  (the scenario we're in) Insomniac votes for Robz.  No one hammers, so one or the other of them must be Mafia.  Robz claims Doctor.  No one counterclaims, meaning that no one else has a Doctor or Jailkeeper role.  All we know is that either Robz or Insomniac is Mafia.  None of the three Town players remaining know with certainty that either of them is or isn't.

2.  (parallel universe) Same as the above, except someone (let's say, just for sake of discussion, it's jotheonah) counterclaims Robz.  Now:

2a. If Robz is Mafia, either Galzria or Volt is his accomplice.  And jotheonah now knows WITH CERTAINTY that Robz is Mafia.

2b. If Robz is Doctor, then jotheonah and Insomniac are Mafia.  And Robz now knows WITH CERTAINTY that BOTH of them are Mafia.

jotheonah, if Robz were telling the truth and you were Mafia in this situation, would you really want to let Robz know he's right by falsely counterclaiming?  What does the false counterclaim get you?  Robz's claim isn't strong enough on his own to absolve him of suspicion.  Nor would your false counterclaim be strong enough on his own to get him lynched.  What it WOULD do is embolden Robz to do everything in his power to get you and your partner lynched, without any possible suspicions of others to bog him down.  Why give Robz the information he needs to know that he is absolutely dead-on 100% correct?  That certitude might just carry through in his words, and be enough to sway the other Townies to join him.  AND, worst of all, if Robz succeeds on Day 3 the Mafia have lost, because it's obvious who the remaining Mafioso is to be lynched on Day 4.

And consider the flipside as well.  If Robz is Mafia, he fakeclaimed knowing that there is a 66% chance that someone else alive has a Doctor or Jailkeeper role.  That person would certainly counterclaim him.  But more to the point, that person would also KNOW WITH CERTAINTY that Robz is Mafia.  Why would a Mafioso want to run the 66% risk of giving a Townie the knowledge that he (Robz) is Mafia?  What benefit is worth that risk?

These are the reasons why I still think Robz's Doctor claim is more likely to be a Town move than a Mafia move.  Enough to be certain?  No, I'm not certain.  And I'm happy to hear more on why you (or others) think Robz's claim is fake.  If I'm missing something in my analysis above, please let me know what it is!

Anyway, where does this leave us?  The question of Insomniac v. Robz.  I think we're all agreed that, as Insomniac's vote didn't lead to a Mafia quickhammer, then at least ONE of those two must be mafia.  (Does anyone disagree with this?  If so, let's hear why.) 

Out of those two, I definitely agree that we shouldn't be lynching Insomniac simply because Robz has, overall to date, provided posts with more polished rhetoric.  However, the reverse applies as well:  we shouldn't be lynching Robz simply because Insomniac has, overall to date, made posts with less polished rhetoric.

I need to go back and re-review the case made against Robz by Insomniac.  I don't recall finding it compelling before.  But perhaps I was reacting more to rhetorical issues than evidentiary issues.  I'll go back and reconsider, though I can't promise my analysis will change.

jotheonah, I would like to know more of what's driving your "bad vibes" about Robz starting in Day 2. 

Finally, I would like to hear from Galzria why he posited that Robz is Mafia with "75%" certainty in post # 549.

Thanks all.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 29, 2012, 12:01:17 am »

Re vibes: I agree that's not at all satisfactory. A re-read is going to be necessary. I certainly don't have one in me tonight, but maybe tomorrow?

And consider the flipside as well.  If Robz is Mafia, he fakeclaimed knowing that there is a 66% chance that someone else alive has a Doctor or Jailkeeper role.  That person would certainly counterclaim him.  But more to the point, that person would also KNOW WITH CERTAINTY that Robz is Mafia.  Why would a Mafioso want to run the 66% risk of giving a Townie the knowledge that he (Robz) is Mafia?  What benefit is worth that risk?

See, I think Robz was more than 33% sure he wouldn't be counterclaimed. I think, knowing what he knows about each of us, how we play, our level of experience, the amount of danger we've been in, and the mere fact that none of us has let slip that we know there's a doctor, combined with the lack of evidence of a doctor in night play, Robz has come to the conclusion that we have no more town roles but the one we killed. Why do I think that? Because that's the conclusion I came to some time ago. So the math arguments just don't convince me. Maybe Robz thinks more like I do then like you all seem to.

Maybe there was a plan B if someone counterclaimed. I certainly think the counterclaimant would be more suspicious than the claimant, and Robz might have been planning to turn it into an effective assault. We'll never know.

Mafia Robz killing town Insomniac in the night would have been a bad move - it would have made Robz a major town target given that Insomniac was hellbent on lynching Robz yesterday. So that scenario is consistent with a bozzball death.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 29, 2012, 12:21:02 am »

Re vibes: I agree that's not at all satisfactory. A re-read is going to be necessary. I certainly don't have one in me tonight, but maybe tomorrow?

Of course.  Or later this week.  I know I'm going to be very busy with work tomorrow so I probably won't have my own review done until Wednesday at the latest. 

See, I think Robz was more than 33% sure he wouldn't be counterclaimed. I think, knowing what he knows about each of us, how we play, our level of experience, the amount of danger we've been in, and the mere fact that none of us has let slip that we know there's a doctor, combined with the lack of evidence of a doctor in night play, Robz has come to the conclusion that we have no more town roles but the one we killed. Why do I think that? Because that's the conclusion I came to some time ago. So the math arguments just don't convince me. Maybe Robz thinks more like I do then like you all seem to.

May I ask when you concluded there were no more town roles, and what led you to that conclusion?  (Obviously your suspicion of Robz is fueled by this - you think there's no other power roles, ergo, his roleclaim must be false - so I think we need to delve deeper into your reasoning here.  You've alluded to a few things in general about our behavior but nothing concrete.)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 29, 2012, 12:47:42 am »

Ok, here's where I stand:

The Mafia made a HUGE mistake by lynching bozzball. They made a HUGE mistake lynching anybody. Consider: Without a night kill, we number 6. It takes 4 to lynch, and there are 4 Townies. We still could not afford to make a mistake, and getting 4 correct votes would be exponentially harder than getting 3, especially with our track record. Add in that they could come out fakeclaiming jailer... They would be in a monster of a position. Better, in fact, than they are now.

But they didn't go that route. Why? Because a good well argued counter claim could throw a wrench in things. General rule of thumb is to kill the counter claim first, but we wouldn't have that luxury, so they would know that we would examine both claims equally. So it wasn't worth the risk.

This brings me to why bozzball. The Mafia must be wary of another role, otherwise they would've followed the above scenario. If we had a Doctor or Jailer amongst us, who would they protect? I can come up with solid arguments why each of us could've been protected by a role during the night, EXCEPT for bozzball. I'm sorry, but I don't see anybody protecting him first. So if the Mafia didn't want to contend with an unknown power, that was the logical kill to make.

This brings me to Robz. If Robz were Mafia making a fake-claim, he would know who the townies are, correct? So why not claim Jailer? He could then claim to have locked up his partner one night, and some random townie the next (Hell, claim K night one, his partner night two). Doctor doesn't make enough sense. Add onto that the fact that if Mafia didn't want to be counter-claimed in a 4-2 game, they really wouldn't risk it in a 3-2 game.

So I feel more safe about Robz's claim being true than false. But that's just where I'm at right now.

Mafia Record:

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 29, 2012, 01:31:09 am »

One thing to consider is that the mafia has a role cop. This means that the mafia can deduce things.

For the sake of this argument Robz and Voltgloss are mafia (This isn't necessarily true but itll make things clearer)

Day 1 Morgrim Lynched, Investigated Galzria, Killed Tables        - Saw Vanilla, Vanilla, Cop
Day 2 Kuildeous Lynched, Investigates Insomniac, Killed bozzball - Saw Vanilla, Vanilla, Vanilla

thats 5 vanilla and 1 cop. Add that to the 2 mafia roles and bingo your at 7.

Therefore if Robz is mafia, his claim is not actually a 66% chance of failure as it would seem as the mafia would actually have a lot more knowledge than that. And he would be taking a shot in the dark in the example above that jotheonah is not infact the doctor or the jailkeeper. Which is a high likelihood (95% chance of vanilla)

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 29, 2012, 01:40:10 am »

I'm sorry Insomniac, I didn't follow that at all.  Even if the mafia rolecop got as much information as they possiby could, isn't there still at least ONE person they haven't learned the role of?  And if all they know is that everyone except that one person is vanilla (plus Tables as cop) - then isn't it still a 66% chance that one person is a power role?

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 29, 2012, 01:44:42 am »

I'm sorry Insomniac, I didn't follow that at all.  Even if the mafia rolecop got as much information as they possiby could, isn't there still at least ONE person they haven't learned the role of?  And if all they know is that everyone except that one person is vanilla (plus Tables as cop) - then isn't it still a 66% chance that one person is a power role?

This is correct, and why I said they wouldn't know the role of jotheonah. But the chances that ONE person is doctor is much less than if they had 0 information about the town roles.

Think of it this way, when he doesn't know any of our roles, he is much less sure if there is another role out there. If they know as much information as possible theres still a chance that the role is out there, but its far less likely and far less risky to roleclaim

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 29, 2012, 01:47:02 am »

I would think so. It doesn't matter what an individuals odds are, what matters is that in 66% of Cop games, there is a jailer or Doctor. If you know the identities of 8 people, there is still a 66% that there are 2 roles. I don't think the final PERSON has a 66% chance (although by some property of inheritance maybe he does?) But it still seems more risky to claim than not.

As a side more, IF Robz is fake claiming, bozzball would've been a good choice to kill because of his occupation. I'm not sure that's relevant however.

Mafia Record:

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 29, 2012, 02:00:37 am »

I guess what I'm arguing is that from the Math yes the odds are the same. Straight up 66%.

But how do YOU feel. If I was and there was one unknown I would take a risk and roleclaim if it'll get people off me absolutely. If I don't know about 5 people then well I probably wouldn't. It's the gamblers fallacy. But it would still be enough to make me take the risk.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 29, 2012, 02:33:51 am »

Sorry Volt, just realized I had missed two posts earlier today, and that you directed a question my way.

Why 75%? Well, the number itself was arbitrary. But I made the immediate case for Insomniacs vote meaning that either he or Robz were Mafia. I got lost slightly in my own post at the time, and meant to indicate that I felt BOTH were around 75% in my book.

I can't be sure out who is, and hell, maybe they both are, but I've got red flags on both. Insomniacs vote, and his (to my mind) weak arguments against Robz fire off warnings in my head. Robz's trying to distance himself from the K kill, and his straight play throughout, along with his polished play and ability to shrug of suspicion throughout the whole game starts ringing those same warnings.

If you want a 1000+ word post with all the quotes to build a case, I can provide it for anybody here, arguing town, or arguing Mafia. I've done more than my share this game, and ended up less than helpful. So instead I'm playing less by logical reasoned thought, and more by instinct this round.

R or I is Mafia. Which one is? Don't know. But as I said two posts ago, I'm leaning towards Robz being town. Still watching and listening closely though, and certainly nor ruling him safe. Far far from.

Hope this helps.

Mafia Record:

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 29, 2012, 03:31:42 am »

Okay, I'm back with a mammoth post that includes strong accusations. First, Voltgloss asked for thoughts on Bozzball. I think that everybody, including people I no longer trust, did a good job of laying out why the mafia killed Bozzball. Here's my take, though I think it's similar to other people's:

Bozzball was assumed innocent, and the mafia don't want people like that hanging around. Also, in a weird sense, he presented a wildcard, because it was hard to tell which way he would eventually vote. And his vote would matter today, because there's 5 of us. So I can see the mafia deciding that they've done fine up until now convincing the vocal, core people to do the wrong thing--why take the chance of screwing that up by leaving in someone who is only casually connected to the game? What if he gets replaced by somebody else before the lynch deadline and this person really gets it--a fresh pair of eyes, or something--and the mafia go down? So, I think they decided just to keep rolling with the way things are going and prevent this uninvolved wildcard person from having any influence in this round of the game.

And now, more importantly, I am willing to venture a guess as to who the 2 mafia are.

I am the doctor. Galzria and Voltgloss seem to be leaning toward believing me. Jtheonah seems to be leaning toward thinking I'm mafia. Insomniac is convinced I'm mafia. I believe this clears things up, at least for me.

The mafia are Insomniac and Jtheonah.

First of all, I do NOT say this with certainty. I say it with likelihood. In my mind, it is the most likely scenario. I've reached this conclusion by going back over Day 2 from the standpoint that they are mafia and seeing what statements corroborate this view.

J came out swinging against me early on Day 2. It wasn't super aggressive, but he definitely singled me out as the most suspicious, or at least slightly more suspicious than Volt. I took slight umbrage at that, because hey, plenty of other people voted Morgrim, including him, and he read like a hedger to me with his line about no longer thinking it was Morgrim but still doing that vote. But then, here's the thing: He backed off me. Later in the day (but still early on) we get this from him, where he startes moving away from suspecting me:

As for whether it's Robz or Volt, I was leaning toward Robz but the more I think about it the more I suspect Volt.  I'll have to take a really close look to figure out which of them is mafia, but I'm so very sure one of them is.

[Remember that he will eventually go on to quarrel with Insomniac (which I believe was just for the sake of not appearing in tandem) and ultimately vote Kuildeous. And Insomniac considers ME to be the guy who throws too much suspicion around???]

At this point, by the way, J and Insomniac's suspicions line up perfectly. I can even independently verify that via third party:

These will attempt to be organized by level of suspicion (highest first):

Insomniac suspects: Voltgloss, Robz888
Jotheonah suspects: Voltgloss, Robz888

Then things change. Galzria begins to suspect Kuildeous. Voltgloss is also suspicious of Kuildeous. I can say that my thinking about K very much went 180 degrees, I admit that (I actually saved him in the night!). But I was persuaded that at least one of the mafia may have decided not to vote for Morgrim, because they didn't need to. And now J, despite being most suspicious of me and Volt, gets on the K bandwagon. but as J's public suspicions of me drop, and his suspicion of K goes up, Insomniac does the opposite. He very much adopts the mantle of anti-Robz player. Of course, J still leaves the possibility of me and Volt open with this post:

I still believe the most plausible thing at this point is that either Robz or Volt is one mafia and Kuildeaous is the other. Insomniac's last posts have been strange and not that helpful - vague, partly inaccurate, not definitive. But they don't necessarily read mafia to me.

Great! He can kill K this round, while setting himself up to rejoin his mafia partner Insomniac next round in the killing of me (or possibly Volt in case of some weird circumstances). Next, Galz casts the first vote for K. Thing are definitely moving against K. Meanwhile, Insomniac and me have this exchange:

An aside not related to tables it IS possible according to the setup that there may or may not be another town power role. This is an important fact that
nobody has claimed to be them.

Nobody has claimed it because there has been no reason to claim it, I assume. They should only claim it if they know something or if they are about to be accidentally lynched.

There was no reason for Insomniac to bring this up. One possible read of this to me now is him trying to provoke some discussion of who the other role is, because that's something the mafia want to know. My response was a polite reminder that we shouldn't talk about that, let our other role person do their thing in secret for now, obviously! But as the doctor, I didn't want Insomniac's comment to lead the rest of you into thinking there wasn't another role townie at all, so this is why I made this comment. (And come on, Insomniac's comment is just stupid. It is NOT an important fact that no one has claimed to be some special townie--it's just an obvious strategy on the part of that person. I don't believe anybody else would have said something like that. Insomniac said it because he is using mafia thinking.) And on we go...

Okay, Insomnaic turns up the heat against me and actually casts a vote. J tests the waters about returning to suspecting me, starts to publicly walk back his K suspicion. As it becomes clear that me and Volt and Galz will all adamantly vote for K, he again goes back to voting K. Really, this makes good sense for the mafia. J and Insomniac go on to quarrel slightly, and J casts some healthy suspicion on his partner, and then they land on the opposite sides of the vote. But really, it's a trivial distinction to them. In fact, it's better that way. The townie K dies this round with J's vote. Next round, Insomniac gets to sound like Mr. Correct as he goes directly after me. Meanwhile, J can slowly pretend to be swayed by Insomniac's analysis (even though he has had it out for me since the start of Day 2), and hope that this spectacle ropes in Volt, or more likely, Galz. I believe this is the mafia win scenario by the way: Insomniac and J convince Galz to vote for me. Of course it's easier with Bozzball gone, because who knows what he would do.

What does all this mean?

I think we see a clear strategy on the part of the mafia: Accuse the same people when it matters, but vote on opposite sides because the voting doesn't matter when there aren't any mafia up for lynching and it's better not to seem in tandem. There was no reason for them to do anything other than one for Morgrim, one not voting in the first round. That was enough to have Morgrim killed, and then no matter which group of voters came under suspicion in Day 2, they were split up so as not to appear suspicious. They picked me and Volt to go after (easy targets because of the Morgrim vote) but when the town moved against another innocent, K, they reverted to the plan: have one person vote for the kill and have the other refrain. In this round, the round that matters, J is trying to nuance the fact that he is on Insomniac's side. I believe that this is why: He is always been on Insomniac's side. They are the mafia.

-------

Okay. I obviously thought about this a lot. I began with the belief that Insomniac had to be mafia and went from there. J is his most likely associate, and I think the history backs this up. Am I positive? No. But does it seem most likely to me? Yes.

(This is of course only in addition to the volume of evidence that already incriminates Insomniac individually: namely the fact that he says misleading things all the time. He is the only player who does that.)

I will give them both a chance to respond, and then I will drop a vote on Insomniac. I expect Insomniac and J to cast their votes for me soon. But it all comes down to Volt and Galz, whom I hope and expect to agree with me: that Insomniac is the most likely person to be mafia, based on his misleading statements, his rejection of my roleclaim, and his voting and accusal pattern. And that J is by far his likely mafia partner, backed up by the evidence of how their strategies have played off each other on previous days.

And that's my say.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.