Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: How much would this cost?  (Read 10348 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
Re: How much would this cost?
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 12:44:30 pm »
+1

"It" refers to the other Diviner in play.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 12:48:53 pm »

That's what I thought.  But the way it is worded is just a little ambiguous and sounds like it could refer to the found card.  Trashing the Diviner you just played (i.e. "this") is functionally equivalent to trashing the other Diviner and it removes that ambiguity. :)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 12:50:51 pm »

You can also come up with some other trashing conditions:
"if the chosen card costs more than this, trash this" - This way you can use it a bunch of times, but only one time for a really good card
"when you discard this from play, if you bought a victory card this turn, trash this" - This way you can use it a bunch at the start to build up, but then can't use it in your engine in the greening phase.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 12:51:25 pm »
+1

So it does.  With that change, I think this card should cost $4.  You can open with it, but why would you want to?  You can spam them, but that means they turn into one-shots.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 12:53:30 pm »
+1

You can also come up with some other trashing conditions:
"if the chosen card costs more than this, trash this" - This way you can use it a bunch of times, but only one time for a really good card

Then it would have to cost $5.  And that would suck with Border Village as the only Village.  Maybe $6, then, but that would only exclude eight cards at that point.

"when you discard this from play, if you bought a victory card this turn, trash this" - This way you can use it a bunch at the start to build up, but then can't use it in your engine in the greening phase.

Could do that, but we've already seen that on Horn of Plenty.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2012, 01:00:16 pm »

That's what I thought.  But the way it is worded is just a little ambiguous and sounds like it could refer to the found card.  Trashing the Diviner you just played (i.e. "this") is functionally equivalent to trashing the other Diviner and it removes that ambiguity. :)

F.DS Requisite Edge-Case: If you Procession a Diviner, the two cases are different: in one, you trash both Diviners, and in the other, you trash only one.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 01:17:22 pm »

F.DS Requisite Edge-Case: If you Procession a Diviner, the two cases are different: in one, you trash both Diviners, and in the other, you trash only one.

Nice catch.  I considered TR but not Procession. :)

Still -- I think they are close enough to "functionally equivalent" that it's worth removing the slight ambiguity. :P

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +943
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2012, 04:23:15 pm »
+1

Action - $?

Diviner

+1 Action

Name a card.  Reveal cards from you deck until you reveal a copy of it.  Put it in your hand.  Discard the other revealed cards.  If you have another Diviner in play, trash it.

The first Diviner is still as overpowered as it was before that revision and thus basically a must-buy at any non-stratospheric price.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 04:35:11 pm »
+1

Action - $?

Diviner

+1 Action

Name a card.  Reveal cards from you deck until you reveal a copy of it.  Put it in your hand.  Discard the other revealed cards.  If you have another Diviner in play, trash it.

The first Diviner is still as overpowered as it was before that revision and thus basically a must-buy at any non-stratospheric price.

What if there weren't a +Action?

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 04:39:13 pm »

"Name a card. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal the named card. Set that card aside and discard the rest. You may play that card this turn. If you do, trash it. Otherwise, discard it during this turn's Clean-up."
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:40:45 pm by Rush_Clasic »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 05:24:17 pm »

"Name a card. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal the named card. Set that card aside and discard the rest. You may play that card this turn. If you do, trash it. Otherwise, discard it during this turn's Clean-up."

Trashing the found card makes this super weak.  If you don't play the card and just discard it, then this was nothing but a partial Chancellor.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 10:07:09 pm »

Trashing the found card makes this super weak.  If you don't play the card and just discard it, then this was nothing but a partial Chancellor.

I actually think it could be ok, with a wording change. Just make it a golem that searches for the named card, plays it, and trashes it. I actually think that would be pretty interesting.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 10:16:42 pm »

I actually think it could be ok, with a wording change. Just make it a golem that searches for the named card, plays it, and trashes it. I actually think that would be pretty interesting.

Really?  Procession at least gives you something after you trash the action.  Finding a card to play it sooner but never again seems like a bad tradeoff to me.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2012, 10:34:18 pm »

It either sets up good combos when you really need to or works as light trashing. That doesn't seem that weak to me at the right cost.

Just playing the card makes it awkward with Treasure and Victory cards, thus the set aside mechanic.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2012, 10:35:21 pm »

Whoooops.  Use it as a trasher, right.  That does make it OK.  But it fills an entirely different niche than the previous concept. :P

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2012, 12:44:06 am »
+2

Whoooops.  Use it as a trasher, right.  That does make it OK.  But it fills an entirely different niche than the previous concept. :P

Yeah.  You guys, in trying to make the card playable, have totally veered away from the original intent.  Please get out of the ditch and get my car back on the highway.  I can see the interstate from here.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2012, 02:02:15 am »

To get this to a bit less text: Why would you want to name a card and not play and trash it? Of course, you could say name "Province" and lower the chance that it will come up in the next hand, but as we have all discussed this has only a minor effect, so I don't think it is worth a "You may", "If you do" and "Otherwise, ..." on the card.
And with this wording, you can't trash Estates with it, because you can't play them. If you are forced to play it, and without the "if you do", you could.

I think target trashing of Estates, and trashing of Coppers for terminal +$1 is not the worst card, +the cycling it has, is not the worst card. I wouldn't costs this at $4, because you don't want to spam this anyway. So the question is $5 or $3?.

In it's current form, ignoring combos with DarkAge, I don't see much use.  Terminal trashing of Copper (at least this is not from hand)  with a $1 bonus seems about the range of Moneylender, but I think it's weaker. It will work longer then ML, as it finds all the Coppers, but it gives $1 less when played, which is a big deal I think. When you trash Coppers, you need to build another source of money, otherwise these Estates you can't trash will kill you.  Moneylender has a good chance of bring you to Gold, or at least a power $5, while with $1 less this doesn't look so great, and will often result in Silver.
Trashing of something else will very rarely occure. You can't trash Curses, you don't get a real benefit from trashin other than playing the card one last time (but if that would be important, why do you want to trash it?).

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2020
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2012, 02:06:19 am »

They're also different if one of them happens to be a Band of Misfits in disguise.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2012, 07:16:42 am »

Oh lord this is swingy. Depending on which cards are in the kingdom, this card could be phenomenal or mediocre. This is crazy.   
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 20 queries.