Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Mod Idea: Solution to Prevent Speculation of PRs based on Night Activity  (Read 5024 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile

Right, but I'm sure that, 99% of the time someone's on a QT to submit a kill, they're also on the forums to read the thread and such. I think it's a fair, and usually valid, assumption that if someone wasn't on the forums reading the game, they weren't on a QT discussing the game.

Fine next time I'm scum ill stay away from the forums all of night and win.

Not if I'm hosting the game. Because you will have to sign in to send me a PM saying that you acknowledge that day has ended and that night has now started. Both scum and town have to send the PM.

That is the whole point to eliminate that sort of thinking about both scum and power roles, and to also eliminate the problem that occurs when people need to be replaced during the night.

You won't accept posting in the scum QT as proof they are still playing?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile

Right, but I'm sure that, 99% of the time someone's on a QT to submit a kill, they're also on the forums to read the thread and such. I think it's a fair, and usually valid, assumption that if someone wasn't on the forums reading the game, they weren't on a QT discussing the game.

Fine next time I'm scum ill stay away from the forums all of night and win.

Not if I'm hosting the game. Because you will have to sign in to send me a PM saying that you acknowledge that day has ended and that night has now started. Both scum and town have to send the PM.

That is the whole point to eliminate that sort of thinking about both scum and power roles, and to also eliminate the problem that occurs when people need to be replaced during the night.

You won't accept posting in the scum QT as proof they are still playing?

No.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile

The main point is to prevent what happened in the newbie game where the start of day was delayed because a player that had a PR had abandoned the game. As such anyone that was paying attention could attempt to deduce that the player that would be replacing in was either scum or a PR.

Eliminating the deduction based of log ins and such to me is just a bonus because that is a part of the game that to me is just unnatural and is only a part of it because of the format in which we play. It isn't that I dont' think players should be able to do it. I think they should if the constraints of the game allow for it, it certainly isn't cheating. It is just part of the game that I find less appealing and would prefer to eliminate if I can.

So your first point as I said is what you are really changing, I was under the impression that if someone is gone you just begin the next day and let the person lose there night action if they do not post one. You instead want them to confirm they are playing so that they do not lose an action due to needing to be replaced, which is understandable.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile

or at least as I am using this model. And I probably won't accept actions in QTs anymore either. I think all actions should be sent via PM to the mod.

If people really don't like it then I won't do it. But it seems like such a simple thing... Once you see that there has been a lynch, PM me. Tell me your thoughts if you want. Just let me know that you are around.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile

I really don't think it's that big of a deal. If someone doesn't do something during the night, I'll make it a random action.

why should the rest of town be punished because someone else decided that they didn't want to play the game anymore?
But it's not always that case (I'll replace them out if it is). Some people are V/LA during the night and can't check-in or can submit a night action beforehand.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile

I really don't think it's that big of a deal. If someone doesn't do something during the night, I'll make it a random action.

why should the rest of town be punished because someone else decided that they didn't want to play the game anymore?
But it's not always that case (I'll replace them out if it is). Some people are V/LA during the night and can't check-in or can submit a night action beforehand.

then the game will be delayed... or better yet. Everyone that is going VLA and has a PR needs to tell me before they leave who they would like to use their power on, subject to change if they can obtain access during the night some how. If they say nothing before they leave, then their power won't be used.

My biggest concern is people who drop out of the games w/o saying anything in the middle of night and leave me and their town hanging, wondering what happened to them.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile

The idea is this should not happen in the first place, and providing a way to leave games at night may facilitate it happening more often. I would simply make it so that joining a game has to be approved by the mod and ask people take it seriously as a commitment to the other people you are playing with. If something comes up I don't see the difficulty of sending one pm saying I need to be replaced. Instead you are saying everyone should post saying I'm still playing and if someone doesn't they get replaced, this will disrupt night just as much just at the beginning instead of the end. You will still need to not start day till a replacement is found so noone can deduce if the replaced player is scum or pr.
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile

How long do we have when night starts to pm you? Because however long that is is how long it will take to find out if someone has dropped out. What if someone goes Vla for the first half of night and can't be around at deadline(so they inform you before day end) and then they drop out because there v/la turned into a drop out and they don't inform you. Still going to have no idea they dropped out till mid to end of night.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile

The idea is this should not happen in the first place, and providing a way to leave games at night may facilitate it happening more often. I would simply make it so that joining a game has to be approved by the mod and ask people take it seriously as a commitment to the other people you are playing with. If something comes up I don't see the difficulty of sending one pm saying I need to be replaced. Instead you are saying everyone should post saying I'm still playing and if someone doesn't they get replaced, this will disrupt night just as much just at the beginning instead of the end. You will still need to not start day till a replacement is found so noone can deduce if the replaced player is scum or pr.
Bit of an extreme situation, but what if someone loses power during the night and they are trying to get an Internet connection as quickly as possible and then returns to find they have been replaced? I think it should be taken as a case-by-case situation, instead of just auto replacing someone out if they don't send a PM during the night.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile

How long do we have when night starts to pm you? Because however long that is is how long it will take to find out if someone has dropped out. What if someone goes Vla for the first half of night and can't be around at deadline(so they inform you before day end) and then they drop out because there v/la turned into a drop out and they don't inform you. Still going to have no idea they dropped out till mid to end of night.

I think the harder part of this is a situation in which a PR or mafioso has not PMed within the first 24 hours of a lynch occurring.

Nights run (generally) 48 hours.  Given it probably takes a day to get a replacement (even with a substitution roster, you'd have to get that person a PM and a response), the PM deadline is probably halfway through night, or 24 hours.

If a lynch occurs on a Saturday, it's possible people don't see it until Monday.  I PM all PRs that haven't contacted me at night at the 24-hour mark.  That way I know they got a message from me (plus an email notification) regarding night actions.  If they don't give me an order in time, unless it is a compulsory action, they just take none.

With yuma's system, instead of a PM at the 24-hour mark, you get replaced.  I guess if that's clear from the very beginning of the game, it's okay, since everyone has fair warning.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile

People can PM immediately after I post the flip. By PMing me they basically say that they are aware night has started and that they have X-hours to get me a PR action if they have one. If I don't hear back from them, they will not submit a night action. If I don't receive a PM from them at all during night then, yes day would be delayed as I seek a replacement regardless if they are PR/mafia/vanilla.

and like I said above, anyone that goes VLA will be required to let me know who they would like to use their PR on before they leave. If they don't, it will be interpreted as a no action for that night.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile

Bit of an extreme situation, but what if someone loses power during the night and they are trying to get an Internet connection as quickly as possible and then returns to find they have been replaced? I think it should be taken as a case-by-case situation, instead of just auto replacing someone out if they don't send a PM during the night.

what is this? A dominion edge-case discussion?  :)

I see what you mean. But that is how it is in normal games. 48 hours absence, a prod is sent. (A prod would also be sent during the night.) If no response is given within 24 hours a replacement is sought out. A replacement would also be sought out after 24 hours of no response.

Your hypothetical would have the same result to that player as it would if it happened during the day. Moral of the story. Don't lose your power and Internet connection for more than 72 hours. If it is an emergency. Sorry! We just won't be mad at you for dropping out like we would someone else who didn't have a good excuse.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile

But like I said, if people absolutly hate it, I won't do it.

I just dont' see what there is to hate. All it takes is a simple PM once you read the flip. Talk to me about the game (a lot of players do this anyways! "ARGGG! I can't believe that just happened!!!" "This game is awesome, my scumbuddies are rocking it!!!" "I can't believe they lynched the cop!!!")

If you go on VLA send me a PM telling me you are going on VLA, how long you expect to be gone, when you will be back and what actions you would like to take. That is just the nice thing to do anyways, but now it is a rule!

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile

What I'm saying is I don't care personally if you do it (I get on here often enough), but I worry for the people that aren't on here often enough. I certainly won't be implementing it in my games, but if it's your game, you can do whatever the heck you want with it.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile

What I'm saying is I don't care personally if you do it (I get on here often enough), but I worry for the people that aren't on here often enough. I certainly won't be implementing it in my games, but if it's your game, you can do whatever the heck you want with it.

If people aren't getting on here at least every 48 hours they shouldn't be in the game... It is in the rules. If they have a VLA that is fine, but my idea covers that problem.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile

I think I'll probably be using this in any game I may run... that is, ones that have a night phase, so not the blitz one :P

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile

Eliminating the deduction based of log ins and such to me is just a bonus because that is a part of the game that to me is just unnatural and is only a part of it because of the format in which we play. It isn't that I dont' think players should be able to do it. I think they should if the constraints of the game allow for it, it certainly isn't cheating. It is just part of the game that I find less appealing and would prefer to eliminate if I can.

+1 for this. This is exactly the reason why I have "always appear offline" checked in this and every other forum.

If I am just having a bad day, and want to read but not post the thread, or just not log onto the forums one evening, that shouldn't impact the game in my view. It's one thing if someone is lurking, but it's another to say "he logged in three hours ago but didn't say anything". Reads should be based on what's said, not on someone's log in patterns.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile

I didn't know you could do that... O.o

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile

I didn't know you could do that... O.o

Just uncheck "show others my online status"

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile

I want to say personally I don't mind this at all, I love pm'ing the mods and would actually enjoy it. I was just arguing the fact that I don't think it will help and would rather hold people to a higher standard of hey don't ditch your friends. I mean if a group of people planned on playing a baseball game it would really suck if half way through an inning the pitcher(on the batting team) said he had to go. I mean yea you could call up your other friends and ask if any of them wanted to play but it slows down the whole pace of the game and kinda sucks. So I would just as well rather than give people opportunities to "check in" assume not invite my friends that ditch half way through. Yes I understand emergencies, but again this system doesn't deal with emergencies any better.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile

I think I'll leave it as is for now though, usually I'm fine with other people knowing I'm online.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 15 queries.