Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Interesting Accessibility Quirk  (Read 3349 times)

steric

• Swindler
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Interesting Accessibility Quirk
« on: June 22, 2016, 04:38:47 pm »
+3

As someone new to Dominion, I have noticed something interesting about it in general that makes discussion kind of inaccessible to newbies:

Most articles and discussions rely on the audience having knowledge of nearly all the cards from the expansions. I know the base game very well now, but none of the expansions. And while I plan on getting the expansions, I have decided I will get one at a time instead of all at once. This way I savor it a bit more, I suppose. Don't get me wrong - I think the expansions are super cool and cannot wait to sink my teeth into them - but their presence makes discussions difficult for those 'not in the know'.

It is an odd thing. The silver lining is that every fan gets there at some point. The only other solution is for the community to discuss cards at a different level. Instead of focusing on 'Cellar', it could be binned in to a slightly broader-yet specific category of 'cycle enhancer' or 'discarder' or something similar.

Interesting. Anyways, loving this community so far. Thanks for listening.
No Pressure No Diamond

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Accessibility Quirk
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 04:47:52 pm »
+5

This extension makes it easier to reference cards while browsing the forum here, the card names turn into links that you can even hover over to see the card - http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

steric

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 04:51:07 pm »
+3

This extension makes it easier to reference cards while browsing the forum here, the card names turn into links that you can even hover over to see the card - http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Right on. Yeah that definitely helps, although I need to play with a card in reality to actually wrap my head around it completely.
No Pressure No Diamond

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12875
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 04:59:24 pm »
+2

The only other solution is for the community to discuss cards at a different level. Instead of focusing on 'Cellar', it could be binned in to a slightly broader-yet specific category of 'cycle enhancer' or 'discarder' or something similar.

That is actually done a lot. Cellar falls into the categories of discard-for-benefit, cycling (i.e. making your reshuffles happen faster, to get to your newly bought cards faster), sifting (i.e. improving the quality of your hand or draw pile by cherry picking good cards rather than bad ones) and non-terminal Action. All of these categories are relevant in some cases — for instance, engine decks tend to want a lot of cycling, slog decks want a lot of sifting, and specific cards such as Tunnel and Golem care about discard-for-benefit and non-terminal Actions, respectively. Doesn't really matter a lot whether it's Cellar or another card that does a similar thing, but obviously some other cards are better at it than Cellar.

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 05:36:17 pm »
+2

The only other solution is for the community to discuss cards at a different level. Instead of focusing on 'Cellar', it could be binned in to a slightly broader-yet specific category of 'cycle enhancer' or 'discarder' or something similar.

That is actually done a lot. Cellar falls into the categories of discard-for-benefit, cycling (i.e. making your reshuffles happen faster, to get to your newly bought cards faster), sifting (i.e. improving the quality of your hand or draw pile by cherry picking good cards rather than bad ones) and non-terminal Action. All of these categories are relevant in some cases — for instance, engine decks tend to want a lot of cycling, slog decks want a lot of sifting, and specific cards such as Tunnel and Golem care about discard-for-benefit and non-terminal Actions, respectively. Doesn't really matter a lot whether it's Cellar or another card that does a similar thing, but obviously some other cards are better at it than Cellar.

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Card_Categories
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 05:36:33 pm »
+2

I spend many of my early Dominion days browsing this. Huge help. Yes, you do need to actually use a card to truly understand it, but knowing what it does is often enough to understand what someone means by mentioning it.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

steric

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 05:39:46 pm »

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Card_Categories

Awesome!! Thank you!

Thanks everybody for commenting and reading :)
No Pressure No Diamond

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +972
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 04:34:11 am »

As someone new to Dominion, I have noticed something interesting about it in general that makes discussion kind of inaccessible to newbies:

Most articles and discussions rely on the audience having knowledge of nearly all the cards from the expansions. I know the base game very well now, but none of the expansions. And while I plan on getting the expansions, I have decided I will get one at a time instead of all at once. This way I savor it a bit more, I suppose. Don't get me wrong - I think the expansions are super cool and cannot wait to sink my teeth into them - but their presence makes discussions difficult for those 'not in the know'.

It is an odd thing. The silver lining is that every fan gets there at some point. The only other solution is for the community to discuss cards at a different level. Instead of focusing on 'Cellar', it could be binned in to a slightly broader-yet specific category of 'cycle enhancer' or 'discarder' or something similar.

Couple of words on expansions. Dunno if community supports me, but I'd advise you to buy expansions one-by-one and combine them in pairs e.g. Intrigue+seaside, Intrigue+Prosperity and so on. That was how I started and I got to remember different mechanics of different sets rather quickly. Then, you can combine all the cards and see the rest o' the combos.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

steric

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 07:08:16 am »

Couple of words on expansions. Dunno if community supports me, but I'd advise you to buy expansions one-by-one and combine them in pairs e.g. Intrigue+seaside, Intrigue+Prosperity and so on. That was how I started and I got to remember different mechanics of different sets rather quickly. Then, you can combine all the cards and see the rest o' the combos.

Very interesting. I'd love to hear from others about their ideas and thoughts on this. Sounds like a good plan.
No Pressure No Diamond

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 09:09:50 am »

I'd also recommend introducing expansions gradually, and playing lots of games mixing only pairs or triplets of expansions before diving in full random. Playing through the recommended sets of each expansion is a great way to do this.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 09:22:33 am »

Or, if you play online, purchase one set at a time and try to complete the Campaigns first. Of course, it's probably a bit too easy even for beginners, now that they nerfed the bots...
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.