Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Theoretical Pricing #2  (Read 2387 times)

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Theoretical Pricing #2
« on: March 09, 2013, 04:09:56 pm »

We often talk about simply creating a card with +1 Card / +1 Action.  However, that cannot happen as it is too boring and useless in too many kingdoms.  Pearl Diver comes very close but it isn't simply a cantrip either.

However, which of these "Cantrip+" is the most publishable?  And can it cost $1?  Or does it have to cost at least 2.

The basic card is:

Cantrip Plus
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
_________
Bonus Ability being voted on.
A man on a mission.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical Pricing #2
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 04:19:56 pm »
+1

A pure peddler variant isn't publishable due to the overlap with the peddler.
+1 card +1 action +$2 is also fairly boring and duplicates Conspirator too much.
+1 card + 1 action +$3 is too powerful to even be a $7 so no go there.
The ones with on trash abilities are pointless in a game without trashing so isn't publishable. (everything with an on-trash ability is also somewhat useful on its own)

So the only one that remains is "When you gain this, you may trash a card from your hand"

As far as pricing it goes, i think $2 is reasonable. Without good trash support, I could see myself buying it if I had a spare buy to give over a lot of other $2s. Cost $1 cantrips seem like a bad idea for balance with stuff like Vineyards. But a 1 shot trasher that gives no benefit isn't worth $3.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 04:21:28 pm by cluckyb »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 04:27:18 pm »

None of the bonuses make for a feasible card by themselves. The on-trash ones are useless when there's no trashing and the on-gain one is going to be bought for the trashing alone and then ignored.

ahyangyi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 04:55:03 pm »

+$1 can be priced at $4. But it overlaps with both Peddler and Tournament, and is less fun than either.
+$2 can be priced at $6, of course. Boring? So is Bazzar, Festival and Market. Grand Market is as boring once you buy it. But we don't really need more vanilla cards anyway.
+$3 is just impossible to balance.

The ones with on trash abilities are often useless. If you love Rats you might like these, though.

The on-gain one is OK, I think. But it's not the kind of very lovable card either.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 05:06:57 pm »

+$1 can be priced at $4. But it overlaps with both Peddler and Tournament, and is less fun than either.
+$2 can be priced at $6, of course. Boring? So is Bazzar, Festival and Market. Grand Market is as boring once you buy it. But we don't really need more vanilla cards anyway.
+$3 is just impossible to balance.
A pure peddler variant isn't publishable due to the overlap with the peddler.
+1 card +1 action +$2 is also fairly boring and duplicates Conspirator too much.
+1 card + 1 action +$3 is too powerful to even be a $7 so no go there.
The options with the $s in them are not for the bonus, they are for the cost.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 07:31:54 pm »

None of the bonuses make for a feasible card by themselves. The on-trash ones are useless when there's no trashing and the on-gain one is going to be bought for the trashing alone and then ignored.

I think that's ok for the on-gain one.  I often buy Mint, Inn, or IGG for the on-gain.  I'll frequently look to TfB them away as soon as possible, or just straight up trash the Mint.

Also, you buy a Great Hall just for the the VP usually, and then it just sits there cantripping.  I'd be happy spend spare buys on trashing, or gaining these with Hermit for effectively twice the trashing.
Well you *do* need a signature...

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 08:39:00 pm »

I picked the $2 "On-gain" version. I'm not a huge fan, but I see how it could have a purpose.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 08:40:39 pm »

The options with the $s in them are not for the bonus, they are for the cost.

Oops.  I wish I could take back my vote then.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 11:24:23 pm »

The "Trash a card from hand", and cost=$1
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 01:03:35 pm »

I agree that the most interesting bonus is the trashing one.  However, that leads to some interesting questions.

Would the bonus be better suited to be triggered on-buy or on-gain?  Would the bonus be better or worse if the trashing were mandatory instead of having the "may" clause?

A man on a mission.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 04:36:18 pm »

Would the bonus be better suited to be triggered on-buy or on-gain?  Would the bonus be better or worse if the trashing were mandatory instead of having the "may" clause?
Of course it would be better if it was optional, at least in terms of power.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.