Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Great responses / counters  (Read 12828 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Re: Great responses / counters
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 02:47:52 am »

Him : Play Young witch
Me : Reveal horse traders or trader, then the bane.

paddyodoors

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 08:46:47 am »

Trader then the bane?  Does this work in actually getting you a silver?  ??? ??? ???

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4388
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 08:53:28 am »
+3

Trader then the bane?  Does this work in actually getting you a silver?  ??? ??? ???
No

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 09:15:01 am »
+2

It isn't even legal to reveal both Trader and the Bane... 

Revealing the Bane would come before gaining the Curse ("Each other player may reveal a Bane card from his hand. If he doesn’t, he gains a Curse.") If you don't reveal the Bane, you gain a Curse, and can then reveal Trader to gain a Silver.  If you reveal the Bane, you never gain anything, and cannot reveal Trader.

Papa Luigi

• Scout
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 12:16:39 am »

Playing a game on Isotropic this evening. I go Native Village/Bridge. Opponent picks up a Fortune Teller, causing me to fill up my NV mat with Estates. It didn't help that I got some extra unlucky NV draws even when he didn't play Fortune Teller, and he could have bought more but he didn't.

Still, it's a good counter to NV/Bridge. I guess anything that topdecks junk like Sea Hag would work equally well.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 12:18:28 am »
+2

Playing a game on Isotropic this evening. I go Native Village/Bridge. Opponent picks up a Fortune Teller, causing me to fill up my NV mat with Estates. It didn't help that I got some extra unlucky NV draws even when he didn't play Fortune Teller, and he could have bought more but he didn't.

Still, it's a good counter to NV/Bridge. I guess anything that topdecks junk like Sea Hag would work equally well.
Huh? Your NV/Bridge counters his FT here...

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 12:50:10 am »

In conclusion: play more Native Villages.

Papa Luigi

• Scout
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2012, 12:25:47 pm »

In conclusion: play more Native Villages.

Er... um.... derp.

I tried a couple of solitaire games with NV/Bridge and it takes some getting used to. The strategy article I read said to always put stuff on your mat whenever you play NV. The problem I ran into was I sometimes got unlucky and put too many coppers on my mat, causing me to hit $4 less often, and as a result I wasn't able to buy as many Bridges as I was NVs. So I wound up with maybe 1-2 Bridges and 6-8 NVs. Wasn't sure when to pull the mat contents and start over. In other solitaire games I was luckier and was able to keep pace, drawing enough Copper early to buy more Bridges, and thus being able to play the Bridges to buy more Bridges.

Clearly though, if my opponent is topdecking Estates or Curses, that's a good thing because I can just NV them.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2012, 12:53:49 pm »

Opponent plays a militia. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck.

Opponent plays Margrave. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck.

Opponent plays 8 Governors for +cards, followed by Militia. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck. Discard tunnel. Reveal watchtower and put gold on deck.

...then play Watchtower and draw 2/3/4 golds!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 01:15:11 pm »

I should mention, though, that possession is a great counter to NV/Bridge.

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 03:38:22 pm »

Oh god! Has anybody ever had this happen in an actual game? That's just downright brutal.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2012, 03:46:29 pm »

Oh god! Has anybody ever had this happen in an actual game? That's just downright brutal.
Yes. I've had it happen on both sides. And won both times.
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110811-120806-af13c859.html
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120425-120343-368ebdd2.html
Although, I've apparently had the set of 3 cards in two other games, without remembering them...

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2012, 04:10:10 pm »

I tried a couple of solitaire games with NV/Bridge and it takes some getting used to. The strategy article I read said to always put stuff on your mat whenever you play NV. The problem I ran into was I sometimes got unlucky and put too many coppers on my mat, causing me to hit $4 less often, and as a result I wasn't able to buy as many Bridges as I was NVs. So I wound up with maybe 1-2 Bridges and 6-8 NVs. Wasn't sure when to pull the mat contents and start over. In other solitaire games I was luckier and was able to keep pace, drawing enough Copper early to buy more Bridges, and thus being able to play the Bridges to buy more Bridges.

I believe the rule of thumb is:  (1) Never pull the mat contents and start over, ever.  (2) When you go below $3* total in your deck, prefer purchasing Silver over Native Village.  Even a Copper purchase might be a good idea on occasion.

(*I'm not sure if $3 is optimal threshold, but the idea is right:  buy money rather than starting over or getting too unbalanced with your ratio of Bridges to Native Villages.)

Toskk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2012, 06:19:50 pm »

I believe the rule of thumb is:  (1) Never pull the mat contents and start over, ever.  (2) When you go below $3* total in your deck, prefer purchasing Silver over Native Village.  Even a Copper purchase might be a good idea on occasion.

(*I'm not sure if $3 is optimal threshold, but the idea is right:  buy money rather than starting over or getting too unbalanced with your ratio of Bridges to Native Villages.)

I haven't ever found it necessary to grab Silver in a Bridge/NV game, barring two cases: 1). Your first/only/last Bridge gets sent to the mat.. i.e. terrible luck, or 2). There are no more Bridges to buy (due to competition). Otherwise, as long as you keep your total Bridges and Native Villages roughly equal, you shouldn't ever need to buy anything other than more Bridges and Native Villages. As the optimal Bridge/NV play seems to come up a lot, I have a longer list of suggestions on how to play it here:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2335.msg36131#msg36131

Also, as an aside, from a heck of a lot of testing on the combo, there really aren't any other (non-Bridge/NV) cards that actually make the combo faster. Throne Room is maybe the one exception.. although it bears a slightly greater risk of having your (smaller number of) Bridges sent to the mat, especially if you end up Throne Room'ing NV a lot. Other Actions like Workshop are better than Silver in the rare cases of sending all your Bridges to the mat, but otherwise won't actually speed up the mega-turn (they will, however, give you a larger point total when you do finally trigger the mega-turn).

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2012, 02:06:02 am »

Way back I played a uni uni forge combo against a torturer chain. I think it went uni get a 4 card, uni get a 5 card draw and forge for plat with all the curses.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.