Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fun Board: Kingdom of Choices  (Read 3164 times)

Death to Sea Hags

• Thief
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
Fun Board: Kingdom of Choices
« on: June 29, 2011, 12:05:35 pm »

cards in supply:
  • $6 - Goons
  • $5 - Minion, Upgrade
  • $4 - Bishop,  Remake, Scout, Tournament
  • $2 - Haven, Native Village, Pawn
Just played this random Province board - lots of fun ideas and combos.  Biggest problem was deciding on a strategy because there's so many options.

Here's the game log.  I won, although I won't profess any outstanding skills or insight.  I'd love to hear what experienced players think!
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201106/29/game-20110629-083006-6334d47b.html

I was player 2, we each had 4/3, and ifiwerearichman opened with Bishop.  I've got a great win rate when not buying a Bishop, instead relying on the free trashing to accelerate my deck.  So I went Tournament + Silver thinking that I'd get a quick province while he was scoring the early vp.   T3 another Tournament, t4 Upgrade, and very lucky t5 Province. That worked, and although I didn't get a Prize until t9, I grabbed the Trusty Steed.  Now what? 

That's when I realize, he's got a thinned deck on a Goons board with lots of trashing... and there's Native Villages, which I had totally overlooked in the opening.  I had looked at the $4 at the start, and the $5 and $6 as I drew those amounts, but never really looked at the $2 options.  Lots of good $2 cards on a Village-Goons board - that might be really bad.  If he goes vp, he can use the NVs to play multiple Goons, buy $2 cards, and trash them for more vp with the Bishop - or hit coppers with the Remake if he bloats.  That means I need to be extra careful about stalling out if he ignores the provinces.  Followers just gives him curses to trash and bloats me, and he took the Princess. There's a lack of Draw, so Minions are good, and Scouts and Havens get my provinces in hand with Tournaments. So I end up trying a little bit of everything - and muddle through.

I'd put my win down to the fast Province, because I suspect that the threat of running away with Prizes (and shutting down his Tournaments) before his vp engine was running threw off his game plan.  Which means it was quite lucky in getting the Prov t5, even if it didn't hit until t9.

tko

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Board: Kingdom of Choices
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 01:20:16 pm »

If he bought a 2nd Goons instead of a Gold on Turn 9, he could have implemented that Goons plan you were afraid of... especially if he gets a 3rd Goons later, and then he has the possibility to hit the perfect turn of Native Village(set aside)/Native Village(pickup)/Goons/Goons/Princess.  On Turn 11, the Scout/Copper buy is interesting since his Estates are all trashed... my guess is it's a Remake target with a goal of Remake Scout->Minion.  I got lucky the other day buying a useless Potion and getting it paired up with my Upgrade so I could go Potion->Dutchy, but it takes exactly that... luck, and adding an additional Copper decreases the chance of that luck.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 03:30:47 pm »

I'd probably go for a long game goons strategy.  Native villages aren't a great source of actions, and minions aren't a great source of draw, but you have great $2 cards to soak up buys in haven and pawn.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 07:43:33 am »

I would probably have gone heavy Minions, about five or six, and a convenient Goons before buying a couple of NV.  Tournament comes next in order to supplement the buying power and a chance at prizes.

I don't see a lot of Goons friendly support here.  The NV is the weakest of the Villages IMO and without some draw power going for a full Goons strategy isn't great.  Minions, however, are a viable draw engine though it is best to commit fully to them if they are going to drive an engine.  If there were a Watchtower to combo with NV and Goons then absolutely.  Even a Peddler would make me consider going heavier Goons.  The tournament here absolutely scream Minions to me.

Oh, and I'll add that if my opponent opened Bishop here I would have just rode his coattails as well.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 07:52:35 am »

I don't see a lot of Goons friendly support here.  The NV is the weakest of the Villages IMO and without some draw power going for a full Goons strategy isn't great.

NV/Goons can work pretty well. Have a look at this game:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110328-161525-2d0bab81.html

He bought first NV for 4 money at turn 2 ...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:16:32 am by Reyk »

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 07:55:53 am »

Don't think full commitment to Minions is necessary here. You can don't want to use them for the $2 coins, but for draw, so you don't mind if you draw a lonely Minion to your hand. You want to have a lot Native Villages, so you hopefully can play all these and all Goons before the Minion picks up 4 new cards. Native Village is not so bad, espescially in strategies where you like too have a few very good turns instead of some good, like Goons. Picking up Princess is of course a Bonus, you get NV and Pawns for free, but is of course a little bit difficult, and overall I would guess the Tournament on the board hurts more than it helps.

edit:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?action=post;quote=2331;topic=206.0
Wrong Link?

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 08:02:01 am »

Well, maybe it is a leftover leak in my game from the BSW days where Minion was about the best card, but I tend to look first at Minions.  I absolutely hate it when I don't go Minions and my opponent repeatedly forces me to discard $8.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 02:30:14 pm »

I'd go for some sort of minions engine adding some goons for extra buys and points from multiple buys of cheap cards (some native villages, some pawns, many havens). As soon as that is running the tournament cards don't look that good although you might get some interesting plays from a princess and maybe even a diadem if you felt so inclined. I'd probably decide how to get that minions deck and how to close out the game based on play.

Death to Sea Hags

• Thief
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 02:12:52 pm »

Thanks for all the feedback!  The general lack of enthusiasm for Tournament in this Kingdom reinforces my suspicion that I was more lucky than good here.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.