Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 660975 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1150 on: June 06, 2016, 11:14:24 pm »

OpenOffice is awful. I'm using Office 2013 now, but it's not really any better or worse than Office 2007 which was super amazing.

Yeah, I see no indication of Office 2013 being hugely different from Office 2007, except that apparently they just want to keep punishing us hotkey users. They took something as beautiful as Ctrl+O and turned it into a monstrosity.

Can't you change the hotkeys? You can with Mac applications #MacMasterRace

Well, the hotkey Ctrl+O still works, but in older versions of Office, you press it and immediately get an open dialogue box where you can type in the path you want to navigate to.

But apparently with this, you don't get that. You instead have to click on a Browse button, meaning that I have to take my hands off the keyboard.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: June 07, 2016, 05:06:52 pm »
+8

"I play Laboratory, which lets me draw two more cards from my deck and add them to my hand!"

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: June 08, 2016, 02:23:17 am »

"I play Laboratory, which lets me draw two more cards from my deck and add them to my hand!"

For the record, that card is so good it's banned in the standard tournament formats.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3681
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: June 08, 2016, 10:49:39 am »

Pot of Greed sounds hilarious. And yes, I looked it up. Pot of Greed is banned. What kind of game that has a single card that lets you draw two is so OP that it has to be banned?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:52:06 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: June 08, 2016, 12:19:54 pm »
+5

Pot of Greed sounds hilarious. And yes, I looked it up. Pot of Greed is banned. What kind of game that has a single card that lets you draw two is so OP that it has to be banned?

Dominion is actually the outlier in this respect, I think. In my limited experience, other deck builders tend to make card drawing much rarer and/or more expensive. Which is fair, since it can be a real drag to wait while another player painstakingly plays their entire deck each turn.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1798
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: June 08, 2016, 12:24:06 pm »

How does YuGiOh compare to Magic? I indirectly know MtG, and I've seen people playing yugioh and it looked pretty similar, without colors and with every number times 1000.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #1156 on: June 08, 2016, 12:28:39 pm »
+2

Dominion is actually the outlier in this respect, I think. In my limited experience, other deck builders tend to make card drawing much rarer and/or more expensive. Which is fair, since it can be a real drag to wait while another player painstakingly plays their entire deck each turn.

As an example, Bill (in pokemon tcg) was identical to pot of greed and almost every competitive deck ran 4 of it. Card/hand advantage is huge in most card games. It's big in dominion too, but one difference there is you have to work to get your labs. You don't just burn through 2 cards in your deck. Furthermore, in a game like Ygo, your deck only has 40 cards and your goal is to get to your good stuff. Reducing the work to get there is incredibly powerful.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1798
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: June 08, 2016, 12:33:09 pm »
+4

Regarding this, it must also be noted that all other deckbuilders that I've played don't have Dominion's restriction on Actions. This makes draw incredibly more powerful, as shown by Champion. Not only you can chain the draw cards, but you're guaranteed to be able to play anything you draw. In such a context, building engines is not nearly as exciting as in Dominion, and abundant draw availability would kinda break the game.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: June 08, 2016, 01:58:27 pm »
+1

Regarding this, it must also be noted that all other deckbuilders that I've played don't have Dominion's restriction on Actions. This makes draw incredibly more powerful, as shown by Champion. Not only you can chain the draw cards, but you're guaranteed to be able to play anything you draw. In such a context, building engines is not nearly as exciting as in Dominion, and abundant draw availability would kinda break the game.

This is very true. I was also thinking of Tanto Cuore, which I have never yet played, but have looked at the card list for the base game. It does have limited Actions and Buys like Dominion, and [+3 Cards, +1 Buy] costs the same as a Gold ($7).

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: June 09, 2016, 02:27:15 pm »

I was trying to play Splatoon today and getting annoyed at constant disconnections, so I decided to do a speedtest to check if my internet was running properly.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5391549320

Welcome to the world of TalkTalk.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: June 09, 2016, 02:27:59 pm »

I was trying to play Splatoon today and getting annoyed at constant disconnections, so I decided to do a speedtest to check if my internet was running properly.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5391549320

Welcome to the world of TalkTalk.

I don't know what's great or bad, but I compared it with mine:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5391558791

So yeah, I'd say I'm probably average/slightly below average, so there must be something up with your internet.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 02:30:47 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: June 09, 2016, 02:31:38 pm »

That is most definitely not anything close to average. That's about 6 times the average download and double the average upload, compared to the numbers they have there.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: June 09, 2016, 02:32:38 pm »

That is most definitely not anything close to average. That's about 6 times the average download and double the average upload, compared to the numbers they have there.

...really?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: June 09, 2016, 02:33:16 pm »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: June 09, 2016, 02:34:48 pm »

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php

That is the global average, so that's going to include awful places for internet on the earth. It will also include some European countries with even better internet on average. All the same, I guess I have good internet.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: June 09, 2016, 02:38:08 pm »

It will include some places with very poor internet, such as parts of Africa and those people served by TalkTalk in the UK, but overall that's still incredibly high. 100 Mbit/second means you can download one gigabyte of data in about a minute, which is pretty huge for a personal internet connection. Then again it does depend on how many people you share that internet connection with I guess.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: June 09, 2016, 02:38:19 pm »
+3

Having lived in Minnesota my whole life, I had no idea there was a Minnesota City. I was like, "That's gotta be fake."

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: June 09, 2016, 02:41:00 pm »

Huh, I find the disparity between download and upload interesting. I tried mine:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5391579332

So Seprix had a much better download rate than me, but my upload was better. And my ping was really good, which is what I expect from Fiber. But it is interesting that my DL/UL rates are close to the same while Seprix and Tables have some disproportion going on.

But man, Tables, that ping. I never heard of TalkTalk, but I see why you're not impressed.
A man has no signature

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: June 09, 2016, 02:46:30 pm »

Having lived in Minnesota my whole life, I had no idea there was a Minnesota City. I was like, "That's gotta be fake."

I wondered about that too.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3272
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: June 09, 2016, 03:10:37 pm »

I'm supposed to have 100 MB and only have 14. I hope that's because others are using the connection right now, but it's still kind of odd.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: June 09, 2016, 03:14:29 pm »
+1

Something to consider is that it's widely believed that ISPs selectively prioritize connections to notable speed testing websites, so your actual mileage may vary.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: June 09, 2016, 03:45:50 pm »

It will include some places with very poor internet, such as parts of Africa and those people served by TalkTalk in the UK, but overall that's still incredibly high. 100 Mbit/second means you can download one gigabyte of data in about a minute, which is pretty huge for a personal internet connection. Then again it does depend on how many people you share that internet connection with I guess.

LOL, don't forget that "places with poor internet" includes possibly the majority of the USA.  And we pay through the nose for it, because there's no incentives to enforce monopoly laws.  We pay $40/mo for about 10 Mbps.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: June 09, 2016, 08:17:40 pm »

I ran the speed test a couple times.  Most of the time I came back with something like this.

But then I ran it and got this.

tests run 2 minutes apart with wildly different results (on the download speed).  Yay for reliable internet.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: June 09, 2016, 10:16:58 pm »

I ran the speed test a couple times.  Most of the time I came back with something like this.

But then I ran it and got this.

tests run 2 minutes apart with wildly different results (on the download speed).  Yay for reliable internet.

Gotta love Comcast.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #1174 on: June 09, 2016, 11:03:51 pm »

My internet connection goes completely off several times a day. I track it with my IRC client, and it seems like maybe 20-24 times per on the worst days. I actually miss Comcast... Time Warner's service has been awful (and it's the best in my area).

Have fun when/if you move here, e.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 17 queries.