Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 821977 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3681
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #2275 on: March 25, 2016, 05:42:05 pm »

Highest amount of coin count in 3 turns, excluding the current coppers in your starting hands? Adventures allowed. Go crazy. I bet someone will get higher than I did. I currently have $18. As per rules, only 2 events per game.

Using 2 turns here for hardmode

Events used: Travelling Fair, Alms

With Shelters,

Kingdom has Baker, Stonemason, Poor House, Death Cart

Open 5C, spent Baker Token, buy Travelling Fair, Stonemason overpaying by 1, also 1 Poor House, top deck 2 Poor Houses

Turn 2: Draw Poor House, Poor House, 3 shelters. Buy 2x Travelling Fair, Stonemason overpaying by one, gain 2 Poor Houses, buy Poor House, Alms for Death Cart, gain 2 Ruined Mines.

6 Poor Houses is 24, 1 Death Cart is 4 and the 2 Ruined Mines make for a total of 30 extra coin added to the deck. Actually, let's make that 32, because 2 of the coppers never got into my starting hands.

I intended it so that you'd have to play the card to gain the coin amount with actions. I don't know, I mean, I can't think of a reason to exclude action cards with money gaining. If it only counts if you play the action card, it should only count if you can play the money card. Ugh.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 05:46:15 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: March 25, 2016, 05:51:20 pm »
+1

I'll restart the thing, I guess.

Gain as much value in coin as possible in 3 turns. Coin value is earned by playing Action cards with +coin, and by buying treasure. Gaining action cards with +coin without playing them does not gain value in coin.

My all new current record with wachsmuth's current setup: $42

Setup: Shelters
Action cards: Baker, Poor House, Stonemason, Masterpiece
Events: Borrow, Traveling Fair

T1: 5x copper
$5 to spend.

Buy Traveling Fair, Buy Stonemason, overpay for 2 Poor Houses. Buy 1 copper (+1).
[Coin value this turn: $1][Total coin value: $1]
Topdeck Poor Houses.

T2: Shelters, x2 Poor House
Play Necropolis, play x2 Poor House (+8).
Use coin token, $9 to spend.
Buy Masterpiece (+1), overpay $6, gain 6 Silvers (+12).
[Coin value this turn: $21][Total coin value: $22]

T3: x3 Silver, x2 Copper
$8 to spend.

Buy Borrow (+1), $9 to spend.
Buy Masterpiece (+1), overpay $6, gain 6 Silvers (+12).

[Coin value this turn: $14][Total coin value: $36]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 08:17:30 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5166
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: March 25, 2016, 06:35:24 pm »

Gain as much value in coin as possible in 3 turns.

What happens if I gain a Bank?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5166
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: March 25, 2016, 06:40:10 pm »

Also this:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=8448.msg256077#msg256077

I'm too lazy to calculate the max value in coins of the supply.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: March 25, 2016, 07:08:51 pm »

Gain as much value in coin as possible in 3 turns.

What happens if I gain a Bank?

Well, when you play Bank, the value is 0, plus any treasures in play. So it is worth 0 when gained.

There's probably fun things to be done with Summon, but I dunno, the little thing I set up doesn't seem to be all that exciting. Maybe I should think of a different idea.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:12:06 pm by Seprix »

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: March 25, 2016, 07:54:00 pm »

There's probably fun things to be done with Summon, but I dunno, the little thing I set up doesn't seem to be all that exciting. Maybe I should think of a different idea.

I like the puzzle, as long as it's stated clearly. The problem with it - like many other similar puzzles - is that the answer simply is to 'gain the supply', and then someone can just link one of those threads and that's usually that, maybe with some minor adjustments here and there.

Also your solution has two problems: You spent 1 buy too many in turn 1, and you only drew 5 instead of 7 coppers before reshuffling the deck.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: March 25, 2016, 08:18:25 pm »

I like the puzzle, as long as it's stated clearly. The problem with it - like many other similar puzzles - is that the answer simply is to 'gain the supply', and then someone can just link one of those threads and that's usually that, maybe with some minor adjustments here and there.

Also your solution has two problems: You spent 1 buy too many in turn 1, and you only drew 5 instead of 7 coppers before reshuffling the deck.

Fixed. In my haste to calculate Poor House and money count all in my head, I forgot about the topdecking effect. I even remembered it in the beginning. Ugh. As for the +buy, the +2 buys threw me off with Traveling Fair.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: March 27, 2016, 02:20:29 pm »

Some simple easy puzzles:

You have a 1 card hand. How do you get to a 2 Province buy?

You are in your buy phase. You have $5 to spend and 1 buy. How do you get to buying a Province? How about 2 Provinces?

It is your opponent's turn. He has 1 more VP than you, and there is one Province left. He buys it... And loses. How?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: March 27, 2016, 02:31:18 pm »
+3

The one card is Ruined Market, and you have 16 coin tokens.

It is your opponent's turn. He has 1 more VP than you, and there is one Province left. He buys it... And loses. How?

You trash a Fool's Gold for your first Gold, and that puts your Fairgrounds that you had for some reason up to the next points threshold.

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: March 27, 2016, 02:34:37 pm »
+1

That card is Philosopher's Stone and Traveling Fair is on the board.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2285 on: March 27, 2016, 02:55:23 pm »
+1

That one card is a Lost City, and when you play it, you draw another Lost City and a Hunting Grounds, and when you play them, you draw 6 Highways, and when you play them, you draw 2 more Highways and a Candlestick Maker. Then you play the Candlestick Maker for the +buy and buy two Provinces for $0 each.

You are in your buy phase. You have $5 to spend and 1 buy. How do you get to buying a Province? How about 2 Provinces?

You have 8 Highways in play and then you buy a Traveling Fair.

He also buys a Trade to trash two Provinces from his hand.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: March 27, 2016, 03:01:10 pm »

You have 8 Highways in play and then you buy a Traveling Fair.
Nice solution, now try no highways.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: March 27, 2016, 03:04:27 pm »

I assume you made these to have a lot of different solutions so lemme see if I can come up with some that no one wrote before.

1. It's a Scrying Pool and you don't have any non-actions. You draw your whole deck, which can buy two or more Provinces.

2. Cost reducers - I can't think of a way to get two besides Traveling Fair, which Awa already said.

3. Provinces are multiple-Embargoed. Or they are Embargoed once and he loses on turns.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: March 27, 2016, 03:40:30 pm »

2. Cost reducers - I can't think of a way to get two besides Traveling Fair, which Awa already said.

There is a cost reducer, but there is no Highways or Bridges or any of that.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2289 on: March 27, 2016, 04:02:59 pm »
+1

It's Bridge Troll.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: March 27, 2016, 04:10:23 pm »

(2) The average coin cost (so ignoring Potion) of Kingdom supply cards in Seaside is $3.73 (again, if I've done my math right).  What is the only set that has a lower average than this?  (Again, don't care about Promos.)

"Kingdom supply" is kind of ambiguous.  Kingdom cards are the 10 that are randomized.  I don't think there are any Kingdom cards that aren't also Supply cards, so I don't know why that's specified.

That's as may be, but it seems to be redundant, rather than ambiguous.

Well it's redundant if we assume everybody is using the terms correctly, but just recently people were getting confused by it in a discussion thread and somebody (Donald, or LF? Asper?) mentioned that some of the events that put tokens specifically on Action cards used to work for any Kingdom card, but that changed because most people kept getting confused about what Kingdom cards actually were during playtesting.  So it's technically redundant, but ambiguous in practice.
I'm not sure what your question is.

"Kingdom cards" are the ten cards that change from game to game, plus sometimes an 11th for Young Witch.

"The Supply" is the Kingdom cards plus Copper Silver Gold Estate Duchy Province Curse, sometimes plus Potion, sometimes plus Platinum Colony, sometimes plus Ruins.

When e.g. Ferry said "Kingdom card," people thought the token could go on the Provinces. Now it says "Action." I considered letting some of them go on Treasures too, but it mostly didn't come up and being consistent makes it easier to learn everything.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: March 27, 2016, 04:34:56 pm »

(2) The average coin cost (so ignoring Potion) of Kingdom supply cards in Seaside is $3.73 (again, if I've done my math right).  What is the only set that has a lower average than this?  (Again, don't care about Promos.)

"Kingdom supply" is kind of ambiguous.  Kingdom cards are the 10 that are randomized.  I don't think there are any Kingdom cards that aren't also Supply cards, so I don't know why that's specified.

Well it's redundant if we assume everybody is using the terms correctly, but just recently people were getting confused by it in a discussion thread and somebody (Donald, or LF? Asper?) mentioned that some of the events that put tokens specifically on Action cards used to work for any Kingdom card, but that changed because most people kept getting confused about what Kingdom cards actually were during playtesting.  So it's technically redundant, but ambiguous in practice.

"Kingdom cards" are the ten cards that change from game to game, plus sometimes an 11th for Young Witch.

"The Supply" is the Kingdom cards plus Copper Silver Gold Estate Duchy Province Curse, sometimes plus Potion, sometimes plus Platinum Colony, sometimes plus Ruins.

When e.g. Ferry said "Kingdom card," people thought the token could go on the Provinces. Now it says "Action." I considered letting some of them go on Treasures too, but it mostly didn't come up and being consistent makes it easier to learn everything.

I wasn't asking a question!  I was just commenting that people often get confused at what "kingdom card" actually means, and used that story about the events as an example.  Dingan wrote "kingdom supply cards", which is redundant, and the fact that people use the terms incorrectly made the redundant usage ambiguous to me.  Did Dingan actually mean "kingdom cards", or "supply cards", or something else entirely? 

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: March 27, 2016, 04:47:34 pm »
+1

I wasn't asking a question!  I was just commenting that people often get confused at what "kingdom card" actually means, and used that story about the events as an example.  Dingan wrote "kingdom supply cards", which is redundant, and the fact that people use the terms incorrectly made the redundant usage ambiguous to me.  Did Dingan actually mean "kingdom cards", or "supply cards", or something else entirely?
I see. So there was a question, about what Dingan meant, but you weren't asking it.

I of course saw "Donald, or LF?" (note the question mark) and thought I was being asked something.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: March 27, 2016, 04:48:08 pm »
+1

18$ Pirate Ship and Travelling Fair is on the board.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: March 27, 2016, 05:14:06 pm »

It's Bridge Troll.

Nah.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: March 27, 2016, 05:14:39 pm »

18$ Pirate Ship and Travelling Fair is on the board.

There's probably like 80 more solutions, but that solution was not what I had in mind. But yes, it is correct.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: March 27, 2016, 05:30:58 pm »

I see. So there was a question, about what Dingan meant, but you weren't asking it.

I of course saw "Donald, or LF?" (note the question mark) and thought I was being asked something.

Ah, my meaning there was -- "Here's a playtesting anecdote I read recently, but I can't quite remember who was the one to provide that anecdote".  But hey, now you have confirmed the story here directly. :D

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: March 27, 2016, 05:50:48 pm »

No Highway and no Bridge? So of what's left, Ferry and Quarry only affect Actions, so... Princess? But that's only used once. I no gets it. And you said buy the Provinces so that means you can't do stuff like Farmland tricks or whatev.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: March 27, 2016, 05:54:35 pm »

No Highway and no Bridge? So of what's left, Ferry and Quarry only affect Actions, so... Princess? But that's only used once. I no gets it. And you said buy the Provinces so that means you can't do stuff like Farmland tricks or whatev.

Yes, no Farmland, because you have to buy the Provinces. And no Princess in play.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: March 27, 2016, 06:13:52 pm »

Yes, no Farmland, because you have to buy the Provinces. And no Princess in play.

...impossibru?

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 17 queries.