Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 82  All

Author Topic: MXXVII: CLUE Mafia Mafia Wins  (Read 186762 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: MXXVII: CLUE Mafia Day1
« Reply #550 on: July 17, 2013, 01:38:57 am »

I'm not really clear on why this earns a vote from you?

Partly to put pressure on TA.  Partly to see how people feel about it.  Partly because I do have a growing scumread on the guy.  As mentioned previously, my strongest scumread is on mcmc.  He's got IRL excuses to consider, but I do get a scum feel from his posts.

My past experiences with TA, more as a mod than a player, have been that scum!TA is a bit more emotional than town!TA.  I could be wrong, but that's the feel I have for him.  And he's been more emotional about his case on me not gaining traction than I'd expect town!TA to have.  I think he does that because he thinks emotional = towny, overall.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 17, 2013, 01:41:47 am »

What, exactly, does a soft-deadline mean?  From the thread I read, it seemed pretty meaningless, but it seems like proposing it or agreeing to it makes you towny for some reason?  I don't really get it, do people ever actually meet a soft deadline?

For what it's worth, I'm okay with aiming for midnight (or whenever) Thursday, I can be around a good amount between now and then, and Thursday night itself shouldn't be a problem, I can be online for most of that.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 17, 2013, 01:50:16 am »

You are mostly right that Soft Deadlines are usually meaningless.

They are deadlines ahead of real deadlines at which point we hope to have decided upon a lynch, and can leave time for claiming/discussion before finalizing it.  It was a bigger deal when more games were using Bankable Deadlines, but I might be the only mod that still does.

It's supposed to work like a motivator to get people to commit.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 17, 2013, 02:41:46 am »

Splitting headache rereading this (and not from the theory talk  :P ).  Can't decide who I should vote for yet, all the cases seem pretty weak, trying to come up with somewhere I feel comfortable parking my vote or some better reasoning.

Nkirbit was leading the pack for a bit, still might be where I end up voting, based on his sudden shift to "well it isn't unanimous, guess we should have no plan at all then" after like 3 posts from Ash, and based on the vote that Shraeye pointed out a couple pages back.

But then Shraeye triggers all kinds of scummy feelings for me, although much of it may just be questionable logic, and at this time of night I'm having trouble separating scuminess from posts that just bother me in what may be a non-scummy way.  (Lack of spellcheck==scum!, me putting in effort==scum!).

I think Robz is currently my top scumread though.  First for his continually baffling example of that previous game in his first post, where he seems to mis-explain just about everything if I'm reading the followups right, and where he uses "We made a plan, then a bunch of complicated shit happened which didn't relate to the plan, therefore plans are bad.", for his voting Volt based of TA's minor-calling-out-of-Volt and then without further comment escalating that into him being "manifestly the scummiest player".  He seems to bring up the Volt case a lot without expanding on it until 481 where he says there were a bunch of other examples without pointing them out.  Also for ignoring me asking about this back in 395.

And dismissing Chairs' entire defense by calling it reasonable, therefore scummy in 517 is a nice way to keep pushing a potential mislynch without engaging in the reasoning in any way.

And as Ash points out in 521, Robz keeps saying that he sucks at being town.  I think this could be a good way to push a mislynch and set us up not to assign too much blame for it later.

Okay, I think I've talked myself into it.
Vote: Robz

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 17, 2013, 03:52:48 am »

Splitting headache rereading this (and not from the theory talk  :P ).  Can't decide who I should vote for yet, all the cases seem pretty weak, trying to come up with somewhere I feel comfortable parking my vote or some better reasoning.

Nkirbit was leading the pack for a bit, still might be where I end up voting, based on his sudden shift to "well it isn't unanimous, guess we should have no plan at all then" after like 3 posts from Ash, and based on the vote that Shraeye pointed out a couple pages back.

But then Shraeye triggers all kinds of scummy feelings for me, although much of it may just be questionable logic, and at this time of night I'm having trouble separating scuminess from posts that just bother me in what may be a non-scummy way.  (Lack of spellcheck==scum!, me putting in effort==scum!).

I think Robz is currently my top scumread though.  First for his continually baffling example of that previous game in his first post, where he seems to mis-explain just about everything if I'm reading the followups right, and where he uses "We made a plan, then a bunch of complicated shit happened which didn't relate to the plan, therefore plans are bad.", for his voting Volt based of TA's minor-calling-out-of-Volt and then without further comment escalating that into him being "manifestly the scummiest player".  He seems to bring up the Volt case a lot without expanding on it until 481 where he says there were a bunch of other examples without pointing them out.  Also for ignoring me asking about this back in 395.

And dismissing Chairs' entire defense by calling it reasonable, therefore scummy in 517 is a nice way to keep pushing a potential mislynch without engaging in the reasoning in any way.

And as Ash points out in 521, Robz keeps saying that he sucks at being town.  I think this could be a good way to push a mislynch and set us up not to assign too much blame for it later.

Okay, I think I've talked myself into it.
Vote: Robz

You've almost sold me on that lynch, too. Nice work. Someone else will have to tell you that you're wrong. I can't, because you aren't wrong on the facts, you're just wrong that those facts make me scum. You'll have to take someone's word for it. You won't (and shouldn't) take mine.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: July 17, 2013, 08:12:04 am »

Vote Count 1.11

On their way back to the attic The Mechanic suddenly stopped. "What's this," he exclaimed, bending to the ground. "It is my Wrench from my truck! How did it get in here?"

Wadsworth the Butler and The Cook huddled around The Mechanic to have a closer look.

"Why is there ketchup stains on your wrench?" asked Wadsworth the Butler.

"I know my way around condiments," said The Cook. "Those stains aren't from ketchup. That's blood!"

"Blood. Blood always reminds of..." said Wadsworth the Butler. "Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die."

"Die?" said The Cook.

"Merely quoting, ma'am, from Alfred, Lord Tennyson," Wadsworth the Butler said.

"Hm, I prefer Kipling, myself," said The Mechanic 'The female of the species is more deadly than the male.' You like Kipling?" he said to The Cook.

"Sure, I'll eat anything," she responded.

liopoil (1): nkirbit
ashersky (3): TA, Eevee, Voltaire
Voltaire (2): Robz, shraeye
nkirbit (1): mcmcsalot
Robz (2): chairs, Snow
TA (1): ashersky

Not voting: (3) liopoil, Jimmmm, raerae

With 13 alive it takes 7 to lynch.
Day1 Ends in 8 days. July 22nd at 10:30 a.m. forum time.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 07:56:19 pm by yuma »

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 17, 2013, 08:48:47 am »

Snow: FWIW, even though Robz is currently my top read, he hasn't hit the "gut instinct" for me that he did in B2B.  Whether that means he's actually town, or just avoiding whatever it was in that game that made me twitch, we'll see.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: July 17, 2013, 09:43:23 am »

Welcome to the sanity side, ash! unvote. You've returned to a null read for me, and you're helping out. Huzzah!

A middling wagon for me means I get to analyze votes/intent to vote on a townie! Robz comes out looking the scummiest for it. I don't find TA's starting my vote scummy at all, it's not a bad reason (just a wrong reason).

I could still vote chairs, for all the reasons already mentioned. I could vote Robz. I always like a Robz vote. vote: chairs Nobody else is on this anymore?

I definitely don't want to vote for TA, raerae, shraeye, or UoS today.

I'm more and more worried about lurker Eevee, simply because townEevee is so nice and helpful!

Everyone else is some sort of neutral at this point. We haven't seen Jimmmm in awhile, have we?

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: July 17, 2013, 12:59:07 pm »

Partly to put pressure on TA.  Partly to see how people feel about it.  Partly because I do have a growing scumread on the guy.  As mentioned previously, my strongest scumread is on mcmc.  He's got IRL excuses to consider, but I do get a scum feel from his posts.

My past experiences with TA, more as a mod than a player, have been that scum!TA is a bit more emotional than town!TA.  I could be wrong, but that's the feel I have for him.  And he's been more emotional about his case on me not gaining traction than I'd expect town!TA to have.  I think he does that because he thinks emotional = towny, overall.

This isn't true! Remember town!TA in Pirates, and how emotional that guy was? Besides, I would say I've been on the less emotional side this game so far, for me at least.

Still thinking Ashersky is scum, and it seems like everyone else on his wagon is moving on to other people. I'm happy with my vote here, and I really do think he's going to turn up scum. UoS's case states it nicely, but this is just obviously a scum gambit by Ashersky, to me.

Besides Ashersky, Volt seems a little too "crowd-pleasing" to me, Shraeye seems off, and I don't get why everyone was against Liopoil, I didn't notice anything there. But no one is as close to a scum-read as Ashersky is for me.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 17, 2013, 06:02:13 pm »

This isn't true! Remember town!TA in Pirates, and how emotional that guy was? Besides, I would say I've been on the less emotional side this game so far, for me at least.

Still thinking Ashersky is scum, and it seems like everyone else on his wagon is moving on to other people. I'm happy with my vote here, and I really do think he's going to turn up scum. UoS's case states it nicely, but this is just obviously a scum gambit by Ashersky, to me.

Besides Ashersky, Volt seems a little too "crowd-pleasing" to me, Shraeye seems off, and I don't get why everyone was against Liopoil, I didn't notice anything there. But no one is as close to a scum-read as Ashersky is for me.

I wasn't in Pirates.  It was the first game I skipped in a long time.

I do realize though, that I don't think I've ever played with scum!TA.  So maybe my read isn't great.

You are wrong about me, TA.  I promise. 

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 17, 2013, 06:09:37 pm »

If I've been "agreeable", it's likely because I didn't like the turn the tone of the game was taking and wanted to get it back on track. If that's seen as scummy, so be it - it's made the game more fun for me.

I see things have slowed down. Perhaps we do need a soft deadline to get things moving again. I'm fine with Thursday. It'd be great if those not voting would vote so we can see where we all stand.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 17, 2013, 06:15:01 pm »

Ash, you did, in Blitz. That's the only time I've been scum, I haven't been scum ever in a game you've modded, so I'm not sure where you're really going with your read on Scum!TA in games you've modded.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 17, 2013, 06:29:04 pm »

I'm not sold on robz townieness but understand the "I suck as town" is something I have heard him say in person and seen the genuine sadness/frustration regarding it. It's something he very much feels an I actually find him more likely to bring it up as town.

Also that post sounds like town robz trying to stay alive(therefor help town since he's town) and not avoid being lynched if that makes any sense.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 17, 2013, 06:42:46 pm »

Ash, you did, in Blitz. That's the only time I've been scum, I haven't been scum ever in a game you've modded, so I'm not sure where you're really going with your read on Scum!TA in games you've modded.

I do.  I continually mix you up with WinterSpartan from Samurai and Ninjas.  You and he started off in LotR, right?  First games here?  I think I've been mixing you two up since then.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 17, 2013, 06:43:03 pm »

Soft Deadline: Thursday @ Midnight.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 17, 2013, 06:51:07 pm »

I do.  I continually mix you up with WinterSpartan from Samurai and Ninjas.  You and he started off in LotR, right?  First games here?  I think I've been mixing you two up since then.

I wasn't in LotR. I've played:

Samurai + Ninja (you modded, I was IC)
Pirates (VT, you weren't in it)
Monty Python Blitz (I was scum, you were town)
Shakespeare (you modded, I was town)
Veteran Quest Blitz (I was town, you modded)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 17, 2013, 07:04:06 pm »

Huh.

So you're scum here then?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 17, 2013, 07:06:50 pm »

I'm not sold on robz townieness but understand the "I suck as town" is something I have heard him say in person and seen the genuine sadness/frustration regarding it. It's something he very much feels an I actually find him more likely to bring it up as town.

Also that post sounds like town robz trying to stay alive(therefor help town since he's town) and not avoid being lynched if that makes any sense.

Spot on. Makes me think you are town.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 17, 2013, 07:08:09 pm »

Huh.

Humor me. Why am I scum here?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 17, 2013, 07:10:05 pm »

Huh.

Don't say "humor me." It's scum!phraseology.

Humor me. Why am I scum here?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: July 17, 2013, 07:10:19 pm »

^^^Quoting fail.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 17, 2013, 07:11:46 pm »

If it's scum phrase-ology, why are you advising me to not doing it, rather than calling me out on it?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 17, 2013, 07:17:38 pm »

If it's scum phrase-ology, why are you advising me to not doing it, rather than calling me out on it?

Why indeed....?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 17, 2013, 09:34:14 pm »

So...anyone?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 17, 2013, 09:35:08 pm »

I think the Volt and Robz lynches seem to have the most viability.

I prefer a mcmc or TA lynch.

I'm worried we'll end up with a so-so lynch for info instead of possibility of being mafia.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 82  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.