Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36  All

Author Topic: M46 : Homeland Mafia (Game over : Scum wins !)  (Read 100670 times)

azadin

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
Re: M46 : Homeland Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2014, 03:36:08 pm »

I will probably lurk for at least a little bit, mostly because I really have no idea what sorts of things to say or do.

Though I've gone through some of the wiki that ADK posted to me earlier (Thanks, by the way!) and in the first post of the thread, so hopefully it won't take long for me to start catching on to some scummy tells!

In the meantime, I also jumped on the ADK wagon as more of a joke, but will Unvote for now until I can get a better feel for what's going on.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: M46 : Homeland Mafia - Day 1 is underway !
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2014, 03:41:17 pm »

Vote Count 1.3:

A Drowned Kernel (4) : scott_pilgrim, chairs, Witherweaver, EgorK
Witherweaver (1) : faust
scott_pilgrim (1) : A Drowned Kernel
EgorK (1) : sudgy

Not Voting (5) : yuma, ashersky, Robz888, mcmcsalot, azadin

With 12 alive, it takes 7 to lynch.

Day 1 ends at 07:00 p.m. on July 4, 2014.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2014, 03:46:06 pm »

Vote: azadin
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2014, 03:46:35 pm »

I will probably lurk for at least a little bit, mostly because I really have no idea what sorts of things to say or do.

Though I've gone through some of the wiki that ADK posted to me earlier (Thanks, by the way!) and in the first post of the thread, so hopefully it won't take long for me to start catching on to some scummy tells!

In the meantime, I also jumped on the ADK wagon as more of a joke, but will Unvote for now until I can get a better feel for what's going on.

This is oddly self conscious play for a newbie. Have you been reading other games?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2014, 03:48:44 pm »

This is oddly self conscious play for a newbie. Have you been reading other games?

I'm always self conscious, and I think that was part of what got me lynched in my first game.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2014, 03:49:25 pm »

I saw ADK's blitz wagon as RVS.  I jumped on for fun, then jumped to WW as part of RVS as well, so yeah.

Vote: EgorK for bringing ADK to L-2.  He didn't even really give a reason.  I've also never really liked "Are we out of RVS yet?" posts.

vote: sudgy his scum teammates would have coached him not to do these things.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2014, 03:51:21 pm »

I saw ADK's blitz wagon as RVS.  I jumped on for fun, then jumped to WW as part of RVS as well, so yeah.

Vote: EgorK for bringing ADK to L-2.  He didn't even really give a reason.  I've also never really liked "Are we out of RVS yet?" posts.

vote: sudgy his scum teammates would have coached him not to do these things.

Why would they have?  You can't coach someone on everything.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2014, 03:51:53 pm »

vote: azadin

No lurking.  If you're Town, then just posting "So here's what I think of this" even if it's "Well, I thought this was interesting and it makes me feel like X is more scummy/less scummy/posting too little/possibly an alien" is great.  The more that you post about what you're reading and what you think of what you read, the more interactions we get from you, the more we can in turn state what we think about your opinions, creating interactions of our own that you can then read into - which is how you get to say "Aha! Based on all these people talking, and what they're talking about (and ignoring), I can say that I think this one is the Mafioso plaguing our fair city!"... and eventually we lynch one, and find out if we were right, and that gives us more data to go through and refine our opinions of everyone else based on the interactions that occurred.

In other words, not talking is giving Mafia the excuse to not talk, and if they can get away with not talking, their Days are easier.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2014, 03:54:04 pm »

Regarding scott and azadin: I'm not sure people give newbies enough credit, they're not coming into the game as totally blank slates, and are probably more likely than experienced players to be self-conscious and cautious because they know that they're new to the community.

ppe: chairs is right though, post as much as you can.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2014, 03:54:17 pm »

That should say "robz and azadin"
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2014, 03:56:12 pm »

No lurking.  If you're Town, then just posting "So here's what I think of this" even if it's "Well, I thought this was interesting and it makes me feel like X is more scummy/less scummy/posting too little/possibly an alien" is great.  The more that you post about what you're reading and what you think of what you read, the more interactions we get from you, the more we can in turn state what we think about your opinions, creating interactions of our own that you can then read into - which is how you get to say "Aha! Based on all these people talking, and what they're talking about (and ignoring), I can say that I think this one is the Mafioso plaguing our fair city!"... and eventually we lynch one, and find out if we were right, and that gives us more data to go through and refine our opinions of everyone else based on the interactions that occurred.

In other words, not talking is giving Mafia the excuse to not talk, and if they can get away with not talking, their Days are easier.

???

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2014, 04:03:52 pm »

???

(This is a game. We are supposed to be having fun.  I am taking Mafia less serious-face-modo-mojo-jojo so anticipate that I will, occasionally, crack a joke.)

Also to take a page from Robz's book, vote: ww for using smiley.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2014, 04:08:46 pm »

???

(This is a game. We are supposed to be having fun.  I am taking Mafia less serious-face-modo-mojo-jojo so anticipate that I will, occasionally, crack a joke.)

It's not my fault the forum changes ?^3 into a smiley face.

And I was questioning because, you know, there are Mafia games with Aliens.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2014, 04:27:18 pm »

???

It's not my fault the forum changes ?^3 into a smiley face.

And I was questioning because, you know, there are Mafia games with Aliens.

Sure, sure, but I would've said "possibly an Alien" if I was referencing the faction, just like I say Mafia (not mafia) for the Mafia faction.

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2014, 05:11:05 pm »

Towny points to chairs for azadin interaction

I do not agree with Robz about self-conciousness through

azadin

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2014, 05:15:06 pm »

Yeah, I've been looking through a couple other ones. It can be overwhelming, but I guess that's half the fun! From now on, LEEROY JEENKINS!

Regarding scott and azadin: I'm not sure people give newbies enough credit, they're not coming into the game as totally blank slates, and are probably more likely than experienced players to be self-conscious and cautious because they know that they're new to the community.

This.

Makes sense. All I've noticed so far is that faust has said only two things:

Quote from: faust
Wow, yuma as IC is great! That probably means two Ms, right?

Also vote: Witherweaver worked well in the past.

and

Quote from: faust
Sorry, I did not read thoroughly. Yeah, I can't figure out what to post as well, this game has too little theory for me and now I don't really get into the game :(

I'm not scummy scum scum though.

Vote: faust for not really providing anything at all outside of a self non-scummy claim.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2014, 05:42:45 pm »

Chairs serious vote followed by an unserious vote is very unsettling. Do you still think Azadin is scummy?
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2014, 06:19:04 pm »

Chairs serious vote followed by an unserious vote is very unsettling. Do you still think Azadin is scummy?

I'm not sure I follow.

I think azadin's "I'm going to lurk" was, in fact, scummy.

Also I think I follow now, just realized I'd voted WW for smiley face.  Obviously that wasn't terribly serious  :)

That said, I'll say azadin has clearly decided to take my suggestion not to lurk to heart, and so I'll go back to vote: A Drowned Kernel because I still think the "let's blitz lynch" statement was scummy, even though he's kind of backed off of that a little.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2014, 06:23:52 pm »

I'm not sure I follow.

Also I think I follow now, just realized I'd voted WW for smiley face.  Obviously that wasn't terribly serious  :)

That said, I'll say azadin has clearly decided to take my suggestion not to lurk to heart, and so I'll go back to vote: A Drowned Kernel because I still think the "let's blitz lynch" statement was scummy, even though he's kind of backed off of that a little.

What's scummy about it, though? A blitz wagon, even if it fails, gets the game going at least.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2014, 06:25:31 pm »

I'm not sure I follow.

What's scummy about it, though? A blitz wagon, even if it fails, gets the game going at least.

I think a request for a blitz wagon gives scum a lot of incentive to hop on early and see if you can get town to derphammer somebody.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2014, 06:30:03 pm »

I'm not sure I follow.

I think a request for a blitz wagon gives scum a lot of incentive to hop on early and see if you can get town to derphammer somebody.

They clearly didn't bite.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2014, 07:06:42 pm »

I find ADK's starting off the game with an attempt to get a blitz-lynch going to be interesting.  I really don't think it's something scum does with the thought process of "town's all going to listen to me and/or they will derphammer/we can quickhammer when the vote count gets high".  However, I do think it's something scum does with the thought process of "town is going to think scum wouldn't do that because it's too obviously scummy".  I also think it's not an unreasonable thing for town to do, but I still think it's worth some scum points for ADK, because I think it's more likely (than null, 30%) to be something scum would do for the WIFOM than something town would do.

Azadin looks super towny to me.  I think starting off by saying "I'm going to lurk" is something scum wouldn't do, because I would expect his partners to have told him lurking looks bad.  Yes, it's possible they told him to say that for WIFOM, but I really don't think so, it feels really genuine to me.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2014, 07:29:22 pm »

vote: chairs

Overcompensating is a scum tell.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2014, 07:53:16 pm »

ADK's blitz lynch was probably not going to happen. It's not scummy remotely. Mcmc could be slightly scummy for actually talking about going to L-1, scum could derphammer and who would know.

Azadin is mega scummy, no one else thinks self-consciousness in a newbie is scummy?

I agree with ash here:

vote: chairs

Overcompensating is a scum tell.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2014, 08:00:37 pm »

I'm not sure I follow, since I don't think I'm overcompensating.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36  All

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 20 queries.