Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30  All

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire [spoilers version]  (Read 181172 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire [spoilers version]
« Reply #350 on: May 25, 2015, 12:31:02 pm »
+1

Bum

Bum

Bum buppa duppa dum

Fuck, it's stuck in my head now.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 01, 2015, 11:09:52 am »
+1

Best episode of the season!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 01, 2015, 11:25:45 am »

I liked the last arc because I didn't expect it.   When the scene started with Jon Snow in the tent, I thought to myself, do we really need to see this?  I had thought that the scene was going to end after Tormund started walking to the tent to talk with the Elders, and they would move on to someone else's story, with the assumption that Jon would be successful in convincing at least some of the Wildlings to go with him.  Then as the scene kept going, I didn't know what they were going to do, and then it was like, "Damn, this is a big battle."

On another note, where is Asha/Yara?  After she tried to rescue Theon, did she go back to Iron Islands?  Does anyone think that she's going to end up in the same place she's at in the books?  And, man, we haven't seen Iron Islands in a long time...

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 01, 2015, 11:58:49 am »

Yeah, one of the best ever, perhaps. Mega praise for all facets of the episode, but especially the battle. Strong directing and artistic choices, excellent acting, exciting new characters... just wonderful.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 01, 2015, 12:09:45 pm »

Yeah, one of the best ever, perhaps. Mega praise for all facets of the episode, but especially the battle. Strong directing and artistic choices, excellent acting, exciting new characters... just wonderful.
As someone in reddit theorized, maybe this is where all the budget and choreography time for the sand snakes scenes went.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4453
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 01, 2015, 01:23:55 pm »
+1

On another note, where is Asha/Yara?  After she tried to rescue Theon, did she go back to Iron Islands?  Does anyone think that she's going to end up in the same place she's at in the books?  And, man, we haven't seen Iron Islands in a long time...

The casting call for season 6 includes a character that sounds a lot like Euron Greyjoy, so it seems likely that they're going to revisit the Iron Islands plotline next season.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 01, 2015, 10:41:21 pm »

Anyone notice the conversation between sam and olly. For book readers potentially foreshadowing some things pretty strongly. Olly is almost certainly stabbing jon. And jon 'always comes back' as in resurrection?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 02, 2015, 04:33:12 am »

Anyone notice the conversation between sam and olly. For book readers potentially foreshadowing some things pretty strongly. Olly is almost certainly stabbing jon. And jon 'always comes back' as in resurrection?
Really hitting us over the head with that one.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3273
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 02, 2015, 09:36:48 pm »

The conversation between dany and tyrion was my favorite thing I've seen in a while.

the part north though... not so sure. kind of contrived? The fight itself was fantastic though.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 02, 2015, 09:49:17 pm »

I was four episodes behind until today, which in itself is a bad sign for how I'm feeling about this season. I think I'm about ready to drop the show.

I'm very disappointed by the Littlefinger/Sansa storyline this season especially. I don't get how giving Sansa over to the Boltons works with his character at all. From my point of view, there's two major qualities about Littlefinger in the series:

1) He will do almost anything for personal gain.
2) He truly loves Cat, and by extension, Sansa.

This doesn't follow either of those points, and just has me majorly confused -- not only has it led to a lot of gruesome scenes I'd rather have not watched, it just doesn't make sense with Littlefinger's character, which they have spent a lot of time developing. He was actually supposed to care about Sansa. I suppose the point should be that Littlefinger is so conniving that he's willing to do anything, and giving up Sansa drives that point home, but doing it in this way makes no sense. Allying with Cersei is supposed to be Littlefinger's master stroke? Really? For something so vile and disgusting, it needs to take something greatly beneficial for Littlefinger to give up Sansa in this way, and an alliance with the Boltons/Cersei just doesn't cut it for me. It seems like it's been introduced as a way to say that "Yeah, this is Westeros, bad shit happens", even when it goes against previous character development. And it's left me disgusted and not wanting to watch anymore.

Also disappointed we haven't seen anything on the Iron Islands. I was really really looking forward to Dorne and it's been a goofy unrealistic letdown. And where is Aegon?!

Tyrion/Dany has been the bright spot of this season. The Kings' Landing/Sparrow scenes are alright, but I feel like they had a lot more potential and didn't end up as good as they should have. The last fight scene was cool, but didn't do anything to shore up the major weaknesses in this season's plot lines. The more and more the show deviates from the books, the less and less I like it.

I'm thinking I'll finish this season up since it's so close, then wait for Winds of Winter unless I'm blown away by next season's reviews. I'd rather read the dramatic moments in book form than watch them in the show's current state.

Am I being too critical, or do others feel the same?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:53:50 pm by Twistedarcher »

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: June 03, 2015, 02:11:51 am »
+1

Am I being too critical, or do others feel the same?

I don't think this season is "the worst thing ever"*, or ruining everything or anything, but your position is not unreasonable and I get why you could have it. My word of advice would be, the show is popular enough you are going to get big things spoiled culturally, so just be aware of that.

*omg look what I did there

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 03, 2015, 10:36:02 am »

I don't really think anything has gone too badly.  My main issues with the show is that there are some thing I wanted to see that were dropped for whatever reason.  Changes haven't bothered me too much otherwise.  I'm actually excited to see things that I don't know about.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 03, 2015, 01:07:35 pm »
+1

The conversation between dany and tyrion was my favorite thing I've seen in a while.

the part north though... not so sure. kind of contrived? The fight itself was fantastic though.
Seeing Tyrion in his element and doing well for a change was definitely fun, and he certainly makes Dany less insufferable, but I wouldn't call the scene amazing. It bothered me a little how quickly she took Tyrion under her wing and seemingly started trusting him.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 03, 2015, 02:15:09 pm »

I couldn't relly enjoy the Tyrion scene anymore after he said he trusted his brother.

I think I'm definitely to critical.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 03, 2015, 02:19:04 pm »
+1

I couldn't relly enjoy the Tyrion scene anymore after he said he trusted his brother.

In the show, he never learned what Jaime did.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 03, 2015, 02:44:24 pm »

Seeing Tyrion in his element and doing well for a change was definitely fun, and he certainly makes Dany less insufferable, but I wouldn't call the scene amazing. It bothered me a little how quickly she took Tyrion under her wing and seemingly started trusting him.

She was quick to trust him. Remember though that  Ser Barristan just died, Mormont turned out to be a traitor and her boyfriend advised mass murder. An intelligent and reasonable adviser like Tyrion is pretty convenient for her.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 03, 2015, 02:55:25 pm »

Only thing she knows about him is that he just killed his dad. Don't know how that makes him reasonable.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 03, 2015, 02:55:43 pm »

Come on.  With that beard, you'd trust him too.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 03, 2015, 03:01:55 pm »

Only thing she knows about him is that he just killed his dad. Don't know how that makes him reasonable.

I think that's pretty apparent from the way he talks. That's sort of my thing though.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 03, 2015, 03:04:48 pm »

Yeah, the problem is I was reminded of that.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 03, 2015, 03:07:08 pm »

The triple-reveal in the books actually kind of grated on me. It's something I was happy to lose in the adaptation (along with glamour-Mance and some other things).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 03, 2015, 03:07:22 pm »

Yeah, the problem is I was reminded of that.

Ah, yeah.  Yes, that was a disappointment

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 08, 2015, 12:22:17 am »
+1

I quit.

No, seriously. Fuck this show. I'm done. It's an orgy of death and torture, it's boring and grim, and it's an insult to anyone who read and loved the books.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 08, 2015, 02:22:26 am »

BOOK SPOILERS

Did you see the quote after the episode from D&D implying this is something coming up in the books we haven't read yet?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 08, 2015, 09:41:05 am »

BOOK SPOILERS

Did you see the quote after the episode from D&D implying this is something coming up in the books we haven't read yet?

Yeah. I didn't particularly believe them. I mean, it wouldn't surprised me if that same thing happens, except under different, less completely infuriating, pure shock value circumstances. Maybe Mel does it without Stannis's knowledge, given that they aren't in the same place right now.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.