Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Edge Case Me  (Read 16455 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Edge Case Me
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2014, 06:01:56 pm »
+1

cool. Still, why did he give you the gardens when he doesn't need to? He's getting the silk road either way
Because you pulled an Embargo from the Black Market deck and threaten to Embargo the Silk Roads if he doesn't.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2014, 01:55:51 pm »

He isn't getting the silk road either way, masq can draw a curse.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2014, 03:22:55 pm »

He isn't getting the silk road either way, masq can draw a curse.

Someone else had oracled you to reveal two silk roads on top of your deck.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2014, 03:32:35 pm »

I'm kinging the masq, and he's getting the third card I pass. You'll have to do better than a measly Oracle!

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2014, 03:34:04 pm »
+1

I'm kinging the masq, and he's getting the third card I pass. You'll have to do better than a measly Oracle!

...but he's also getting the first card you pass, which is Silk Road.  And then he's holding onto the Silk Road, and passing junk to his neighbor.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2014, 03:44:51 pm »

Dernit!

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2014, 10:43:39 pm »

In a 2p game, you know that both you and your opponent have a Province in hand. You play Tournament, and neither of you reveal your Provinces - and this was the correct strategic move for both of you. Why?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2014, 10:53:43 pm »
+2

In a 2p game, you know that both you and your opponent have a Province in hand. You play Tournament, and neither of you reveal your Provinces - and this was the correct strategic move for both of you. Why?

Well it's easy enough for "you" -- you're far enough behind that you don't want to gain the last Duchy and lose on piles.  Or you want to keep Province in your hand for something else -- discard for benefit, Crossroads, whatever.

But for your opponent not to block your Tournament?  Maybe he hopes you will mistakenly end the game on piles.  Maybe he wants to hide the fact that he has a Province in his hand.  Say he knows that you have KC-Tournament-Tournament-(other action) in your hand and thinks that you're testing him with the first Tournament.

Or, you only have one Tournament in your deck and your draw pile is empty.  He wants your Tournament to miss the reshuffle.

Oh, easy alternative answer -- your opponent is possessing you, so he doesn't reveal his own Province.  You don't reveal your Province either because your opponent doesn't want to lose on piles, or wants you to have the Province in hand for something else (see above).

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2014, 11:10:21 pm »
+2

You have a one-card hand because of Torturer (the card in your hand is Province), and if you reveal it your opponent will know he can use his last action to play Masquerade and force you to pass the Province (he would otherwise prefer to play another terminal).

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2014, 11:47:46 pm »

Well it's easy enough for "you" -- you're far enough behind that you don't want to gain the last Duchy and lose on piles.  Or you want to keep Province in your hand for something else -- discard for benefit, Crossroads, whatever.
Gaining the last Duchy is only a problem if you also don't want any of the remaining Prizes - if there are no Prizes left you can always choose to gain a Prize, then wind up not gaining anything.

Quote from: eHalcyon
But for your opponent not to block your Tournament?  Maybe he hopes you will mistakenly end the game on piles.  Maybe he wants to hide the fact that he has a Province in his hand.  Say he knows that you have KC-Tournament-Tournament-(other action) in your hand and thinks that you're testing him with the first Tournament.

Or, you only have one Tournament in your deck and your draw pile is empty.  He wants your Tournament to miss the reshuffle.
That's one possibility I came up with, but can extend it to having all my good cards in play already, and thus having them miss the shuffle.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2014, 11:58:13 pm »
+1

You have a one-card hand because of Torturer (the card in your hand is Province), and if you reveal it your opponent will know he can use his last action to play Masquerade and force you to pass the Province (he would otherwise prefer to play another terminal).

I think this technically works, but with only one card remaining it would be fairly safe to play Masquerade anyway.  But why would anyone discard down to a Province anyway?  Hand of 5 Provinces, I guess?  But then, knowing that Masquerade could very well be played, gaining a Curse has to be the right play in order to protect those Provinces.  I guess you could further edge case that the single Curse could allow the Torturer player to end the game on a win (via Duchies, various alt VP, whatever) so the other guy has to risk passing the Province for a chance at victory...

@ConMan, fair enough on the Duchy gaining.  Wanting to keep the extra Province in hand still works though.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2014, 02:12:14 am »

It is a much easier setup if you get rid of Torturer and put in B-crat (preferably with some help like Cutpurse or Pillage) so you have no choice but to leave a province in an all province hand.

An easy shot for you not to reveal your province is just deck control - you don't want to clutter the draw up (e.g. the next cards are known to be Kc/full powered city) or you know you have a province buying hand next turn, buy lose it if you reveal and the opponent does as well.

Why might they not reveal? Deck tracking. If my opponent will skip his Tournaments for a full round, that is big. Another big shot is if drawing a card is better than leaving it on deck - e.g. I know you have Golem and just two actions left in the deck. If you draw a card, then golem might miss an action. If you draw it into hand then you may play it xor the Golem. Another shot might be that you are about to draw a card I can use as well. For instance, I want you to draw your Bishop so I can trash a curse, discard a Market square, and then top the gold with my Watchtower (to draw it next turn with the Wt for the game winning province). I might even want you to have an attack to play off of which I can key (e.g. you draw a Swindler, I know my top card is a Peddler, you draw a Militia while I hold Xroads/Library). I mean, I might even want you to get to a province buy so I can turn Fool's gold into the real stuff so I can then play cantrip -> Remodel.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.