Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mandarin + Graverobber  (Read 1209 times)

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Mandarin + Graverobber
« on: December 12, 2013, 09:00:32 am »
+8

Code: [Select]
Beggar, Haven, Coppersmith, City, Counterfeit, Graverobber, Haggler, Jester, Mandarin, Tribute
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131212/log.5070b64ea2e6d027a23183f4.1386855819734.txt

On this weak board, my opponent opens Jester/Haven and goes basically Jester BM with a few Counterfeits. I decide that life isn't fun without a little experimentation, so I open Haven/Counterfeit and go for a Mandarin + Graverobber remodel strategy. I'm sure its weak in general, but this board seemed just weak enough to give it a shot. I considered the Haven/Mandarin/Mandarin/Mandarin/Mandarin opening, but decided it would be better to get a Counterfeit first, so that I could trash down my Coppers while buying Mandarin every turn. I think that was key, since it allowed me to later match up my Graverobbers and Mandarins more readily.

I got a Silver turn 3 and 2 Havens turn 4, hoping that many Havens will help me connect Graverobber and Mandarin. Then on turns 6 through 9 I Counterfeit a Copper and buy a Mandarin every turn, with supplemental Havens on turns 7-9. Once I'm loaded with Mandarins, I grab a Graverobber turn 10.

I end up Graverobber remodeling 3 Mandarins and a Graverobber, plus buying 1 Province outright for the win. My opponent's Jester was a disaster, hitting Necropolis, Copper, and Haven in its 3 plays, making it a glorified terminal Silver. The Graverobber/Mandarin strat probably isn't optimal here, but it was fun to play something a bit different with some low-end cards!

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Mandarin + Graverobber
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 04:28:32 pm »
+3

Nice.  I think Haggler BM is much better here than Jester BM.  Especially with counterfeit.  play Haggler, buy gold, gain counterfeit is awesome.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
Re: Mandarin + Graverobber
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 09:20:48 am »

Nice.  I think Haggler BM is much better here than Jester BM.  Especially with counterfeit.  play Haggler, buy gold, gain counterfeit is awesome.
I have to believe that this is true whenever there are useful 5's, 4's, or 2's in the kingdom.  Unless you're in multi-player, perhaps. 
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.