Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #8: Guilds  (Read 25238 times)

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #8: Guilds
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2013, 02:16:04 pm »
+2

I am going to do a video review of the cards, I just haven't had any time.

I can't wait! Or rather, I can and will wait, but I'm excited to see/hear it.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2013, 02:19:34 pm »
+1

I can't wait! Or rather, I can and will wait, but I'm excited to see/hear it.

I get the point. No more annoying wording comments.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2013, 04:51:07 pm »
+1

I get the point. No more annoying wording comments.

It's not you that's annoying. It's the fact that there's no easy wording for the card. I appreciate wanting to have the card with the correct wording, so no worries. In future I would be grateful if you would continue to point out bad wordings. This is sort of a special case in that my normal solution to the "card that costs the most/least" problem is not to make such cards.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2013, 05:44:28 pm »

It's not you that's annoying. It's the fact that there's no easy wording for the card. I appreciate wanting to have the card with the correct wording, so no worries. In future I would be grateful if you would continue to point out bad wordings. This is sort of a special case in that my normal solution to the "card that costs the most/least" problem is not to make such cards.

I was joking of course. For those in general, I think "no cheaper than" or "no more expensive than" may work in some cases, if the rest is not too wordy. But I myself also scrapped cards with those ideas because they were too hard to word properly.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2013, 05:54:37 pm »

I was joking of course. For those in general, I think "no cheaper than" or "no more expensive than" may work in some cases, if the rest is not too wordy. But I myself also scrapped cards with those ideas because they were too hard to word properly.

Man, I didn't realize that this conversation had jumped from the Alchemy thread to the Guilds thread. I thought you had just quoted the wrong post in the same thread!  ;D

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2013, 01:32:56 am »

My comments on a few cards:

Dancer
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+1 Card. Take a Coin token. You may pay any number of Coin tokens. For each token you paid, +1 Action.

When you gain this, take a Coin token.
I like it at $3 cost.  Wouldn't work well as an only village in an engine, but I think it'd work great in a BM+ deck or with other village cards where you could use it as a village sometimes or use it to collect coin tokens other times.  I don't think it's supposed to be used as a cantrip most of the time.

Royal Guard
Types: Action – Reaction
Cost: $3
+1 Action. Choose one: Take a Coin token; or pay any number of Coin tokens and +$2 per token paid.

When any player (including you) plays an Attack card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, take 2 Coin tokens.
I think like it.  But I think it'd be underpowered if there were no attack cards or other coin token cards in the kingdom, and it'd be hard to strengthen it without making it overpowered with attack cards.

Councilman
Types: Action – Attack
Cost: $8–
+1 Card. +1 Action. Each other player pays a Coin token. If nobody did, +1 Card and +1 Buy.

You may underpay for this card. For each $1 you underpaid, each other player takes a Coin token.
I like the idea (including the underpay), but I don't think it works well as-is because of what eHalcyon said.  Also, I'm not sure if it means each other player gives you a coin token or returns a coin token to the suppy.  I'd like it better if they give you the coin tokens.

Jeweler
Cost: $3+
Take a Coin token. Name a card. Each other player reveals his hand. If the named card is reveald, take a Coin token.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. Take a Coin token per $2 you overpaid (rounded down).
I think overpay for coin tokens might work if it's 2 for 1 like this, but I don't like the top.

Pawnbroker
Cost: $3+
Take a Coin token. You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, take a Coin token per $2 in its cost, rounded down.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, the player to your left chooses a card in the Supply costing exactly $2 more than the amount you overpaid. Gain it.
I kinda like the top.  As for the overpay effect, I don't like the idea of someone else choosing the card you gain, but then it would work nicely if you paid $9 for the pawnbroker (as long as there's no peddlers).

Porter
Cost: $2+
+1 Card. +1 Action. You may put any number of cards from your hand on top of your deck.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, set aside the top card of your deck, putting it into your hand at the start of your next turn.
The top seems a little weak, and the overpay effect seems a little overpowered.  Maybe it balances out.  I'm inclined to like it, but I want to playtest it to see how well it works. I'll vote for it in the first round anyway.

Tiller
+1 Action. Reveal the top card of your deck. You may pay a Coin token. If you do, put the card into yoru hand. Otherwise discard it and take a Coin token.
As-is, I might be good at $2.  But I would suggest removing the 'pay a coin token' part and just say "You may put the card into your hand. Otherwise discard it and take a coin token."  Then I'd like it better and it might be good at $3.

Demagogue
Cost: $4+
You may discard a Treasure. If you do, +2 Cards and +2 Actions.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. Each other player reveals 2 cards from his deck per $1 you overpaid, puts the revealed Coppers back, and discards the rest.
I think the overpay effect would work better either on a cheaper card or as part of the top (probably revealing 3 cards).  Also, I think it'd work better if the attack was "discard all revealed cards costing more than $2 and put the rest back.  I'd suggest moving the attack to the top and making it cost $5. Of course then it doesn't fit well in guilds, but I think it'd be a better card.

Bookkeeper
+1 Card. +1 Action. At the start of your Buy phase, you may pay $2. If you do, take a Coin token.
Would be good for when you have lots of coin but no +Buy. Otherwise, not very useful.  Would probably work at $2 cost.

Housekeeper
Trash a card from your hand. Take a Coin token.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, at the start of Clean-up, trash a card from your hand or from play per $1 you overpaid.
hmmm, trashing card(s) from play at the end of a turn is nice.  I think Mint may be the only official card that does that (and it does it very differently).  This should probably say "you may trash a card..." in the overpay effect.  nice and simple, I like it.

Sculptor
Cost: $5
+1 Action. You may discard 2 cards. If you do, name 2 cards and reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. For each revealed card you named, take a Coin token and put that card on your deck. Discard the rest.
Interesting. I like it, but I think it'd be better at $4 cost.

Tavern
+1 Action. +$2. Trash a card from your hand. Pay a Coin token. If you have no Coin tokens, gain a Curse. If you gained a Curse, take 3 Coin tokens.
It needs rewording as eHalcyon said.  I like the tradeoff of the effect when you have no coin tokens, but I don't like that it makes you pay a coin token in exchange for nothing.  But then it gives you a total of +5 buying power if you don't have coin tokens, so maybe it's worth it.

Potter
Take 2 Coin tokens. You may pay up to 5 Coin tokens. For each Coin token you paid beyond the first, gain a card costing up to $4.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, take a Coin token, then play this.
I kindof like the top, but the overpay effect is overpowered.

Other cards I like that I don't have much to say about: Taskmaster, Barber, Builder.
Cards I kindof like but probably not enough to vote for: Pawnbroker, Councilman, Demagogue, Town Hall, Bookkeeper, Bribe, Tavern, Potter (I only like it without the overpay effect).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 01:34:11 am by LibraryAdventurer »

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2014, 10:46:03 pm »

any idea why these cards seemed to get less discussion than the Alchemy ones?

Looks like these were the top five:

Dancer
+1 Card. Take a Coin token. You may pay any number of Coin tokens. For each token you paid, +1 Action.

When you gain this, take a Coin token.

Still think its strength is affected too much by the existence of other cards that give you coin tokens.

Barber
+1 Action. Choose one: Discard any number of cards and take a Coin token per card discarded; or pay any number of Coin tokens and +1 Card per token paid.

Didn't vote for it the first time, but seems perfectly reasonable and on second look might vote for it this round.

Porter
+1 Card. +1 Action. You may put any number of cards from your hand on top of your deck.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, set aside the top card of your deck, putting it into your hand at the start of your next turn.

Town Hall
+3 Actions.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, choose a card you have in play. If you discard that card this turn, put it on top of your deck.

Both of these I voted for and think they have interesting overpay mechanics. Also amusing how the overpay mechanics would combo with eachother.

Councilman
Types: Action – Attack
Cost: $8–
+1 Card. +1 Action. Each other player pays a Coin token. If nobody did, +1 Card and +1 Buy.

You may underpay for this card. For each $1 you underpaid, each other player takes a Coin token.

Still unsold on the underpay idea. Kinda cool in theory, but the reward for the other players seems so strong especially then the top half probably on its own would only be a 5 or 6.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2014, 03:27:05 pm »

Well, here are my favourites.

Royal Guard
Types: Action – Reaction
+1 Action. Choose one: Take a Coin token; or pay any number of Coin tokens and +$2 per token paid.

When any player (including you) plays an Attack card, you may discard this. If you do, take 2 Coin tokens.

I like the reaction, which I thought should have been in Guilds to start.  The option in the main action is interesting and takes some work to really make it worthwhile.  May be weak without other attacks or coin token cards, but that's OK -- not every card needs to be (or should be) strong all the time.  The utility of coin tokens might be enough to justify it even without those synergies.

Porter

Feels like a good fit for Guilds.  Interesting mechanics make it situationally useful, which is cool.  Self-synergy is nice.  I think it would work well at $2 (as the creator priced it), and I like seeing interesting ideas that fall at that price point.

City Councilman
+2 Cards. +1 Buy. +1 Card per empty Supply pile.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, trash a card from the Supply that is not a Victory card.

I like the self-synergy on this one too, and I think it's a workable implementation of "trash from supply".  It's a popular concept that doesn't usually work well, but I think it's good as an overpay effect.  It adds a different dimension to games, another avenue for a quick 3-pile if you can set up for it.  That kind of tension isn't something you want all the time, but I think it would be neat to play once in a while (i.e. how often you would see it on full random).

Barber
+1 Action. Choose one: Discard any number of cards and take a Coin token per card discarded; or pay any number of Coin tokens and +1 Card per token paid.

Interesting, flexible card.  Not much else to say about it.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2014, 11:59:10 pm »
+1

My comments on a few cards:

Tiller
+1 Action. Reveal the top card of your deck. You may pay a Coin token. If you do, put the card into yoru hand. Otherwise discard it and take a Coin token.
As-is, I might be good at $2.  But I would suggest removing the 'pay a coin token' part and just say "You may put the card into your hand. Otherwise discard it and take a coin token."  Then I'd like it better and it might be good at $3.

Or how about this:
Tiller
+1 Action. Look at the top two cards of your deck. You may pay a coin token. If you do, put both cards into your hand. Otherwise you may put one of them into your hand. Discard any others. If you didn't put either card into your hand, gain a coin token.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:10:56 pm by LibraryAdventurer »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 21 queries.