Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #8: Guilds  (Read 25232 times)

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #8: Guilds
« on: December 11, 2013, 03:31:45 pm »
+3

The eighth contest is to design a card that would fit well in Guilds.

Submission Rules

• Submit no more than one card per challenge.
• You are not obligated to submit a card for every challenge.
• Submit your card to me via this forum's messaging system.  Submissions made after each week's deadline cannot be accepted.
• Each card you submit must have a name, a cost, a list of types, and the exact wording that should appear on the card.  Also include a brief description of any special design considerations (e.g., Stash having a unique back), but do NOT include any other information, such as strategic commentary or examples about it would play.
• Unlike the previous set design contest, the name you give your card will appear on the ballot. If multiple cards with the same name are submitted, I will differentiate them with letters in a randomly chosen order, e.g. [Card Name] A, [Card Name] B, etc. Cards themselves will likewise be listed in a random order on the ballot.
• I will accept revisions to your contest entries provided they are submitted to me before the deadline.  If you submit a revision to an entry you have previously submitted to me, resubmit your revised card(s) in their entirety.  That is, don't tell me "Oh, can you make that +2 Cards say +3 Cards instead?"  Just resubmit the full card.
• Only submit cards that are your own design.
• You may submit cards that have been previously posted here in this forum, including those that have been refined by the community as a whole, provided you can still claim that the central conceit of the card -- and the majority of its final version -- is yours.
• A single card might conceivably qualify for multiple challenges within this series. If your card doesn't win the first challenge you submit it to, you may submit it for any and all future challenges (until it wins), provided the card fits those challenges. This is particularly pertinent for cards that don't win the first of two slots for a large expansion, although depending on which card does win, your card may not qualify for the second challenge.
• Do not disclose your submissions publicly, either in this thread or elsewhere!

For this Treasure Chest set, you may not submit cards that combine certain mechanics from multiple expansions. The idea is that you could simply slot the cards into their respective sets without needing components or rules specific to another set. Specifically:

• Duration cards may only be submitted as candidates for a Seaside slot.
• Potion-cost cards may only be submitted as candidates for the Alchemy slot.
• Cards that use VP tokens or cost $7 or more may only be submitted as candidates for a Prosperity slot.
• Cards that use Coin tokens and cards that use overpay may only be submitted as candidates for the Guilds slot.
• Cards that use Ruins (Looters) and cards that use Spoils may only be submitted as candidates for a Dark Ages slot.

Many mechanics are fair game for any submission. The following is an incomplete list.

• Victory/Action and Victory/Treasure hybrid cards.
• Cards that allow you to choose an ability from a list.
• Cards with on-buy, would-gain, on-gain, and on-trash abilities.

I will be putting some constraints on the set as a whole.

• The raw number of cards (including randomizers) must not exceed 150. This means no more Victory card submissions will be accepted until and unless a submission that uses fewer than 10 cards wins.

Challenge #8 : Guilds

Design a Kingdom card that would fit into the Guilds expansion. Such a card should have one or more of the following qualities:

• Produces Coin tokens.
• Has an overpay effect.
• Has a 'name a card' mechanic.

The deadline for this week's challenge is Wednesday, December 18, 2013 at 8am CDT.

If you have any questions, please post them here or send me a private message and I will endeavor to answer them in a timely manner. Good luck!

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #8: Guilds
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 03:31:56 pm »
+3

Taskmaster
Types: Action
Cost: $4
Take a Coin token. Play a face-up card from the Taskmaster mat. (If 4 or more cards are face-down, flip them face-up first.) At the start of Clean-up, return all cards played this way to the Taskmaster mat face-down.

Setup: Put the randomizers for 5 cards each costing up to $4 on the Taskmaster mat face-up.

Dancer
+1 Card. Take a Coin token. You may pay any number of Coin tokens. For each token you paid, +1 Action.

When you gain this, take a Coin token.

Sojourner
Cost: $4+
+$2. Name a card. Reveal the top card of your deck. If it's the named card, put it into your hand. Otherwise, discard it or put it back.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, take a Coin token per $1 you overpaid.

Royal Guard
Types: Action – Reaction
Cost: $3
+1 Action. Choose one: Take a Coin token; or pay any number of Coin tokens and +$2 per token paid.

When any player (including you) plays an Attack card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, take 2 Coin tokens.

EDIT: Changed the reaction from activating when any other player plays an Attack card to when any player plays an Attack card.

Councilman
Types: Action – Attack
Cost: $8–
+1 Card. +1 Action. Each other player pays a Coin token. If nobody did, +1 Card and +1 Buy.

You may underpay for this card. For each $1 you underpaid, each other player takes a Coin token.

Jeweler
Cost: $3+
Take a Coin token. Name a card. Each other player reveals his hand. If the named card is reveald, take a Coin token.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. Take a Coin token per $2 you overpaid (rounded down).

Savings
Types: Treasure
Cost: $5+
When you play this, it's worth $1 per Coin token you have.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. Take a Coin token per $1 you overpaid.

Architect
+1 Action. +$1.

While this is in play, Victory cards cost $2 less, but not less than $0.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. +1 Buy per $1 you overpaid.

Town Hall
Cost: $2+
+3 Actions.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, choose a card you have in play. If you discard that card this turn, put it on top of your deck.

Pawnbroker
Take a Coin token. You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, take a Coin token per $2 in its cost, rounded down.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, the player to your left chooses a card in the Supply costing exactly $2 more than the amountyou overpaid. Gain it.

Porter
+1 Card. +1 Action. You may put any number of cards from your hand on top of your deck.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, set aside the top card of your deck, putting it into your hand at the start of your next turn.

Tiller
+1 Action. Reveal the top card of your deck. You may pay a Coin token. If you do, put the card into yoru hand. Otherwise discard it and take a Coin token.

Jubilee
Cost: $5
+2 Actions. Take 2 Coin tokens.

While this is in play, you can't spend Coin tokens during your Buy phase.

Demagogue
You may discard a Treasure. If you do, +2 Cards and +2 Actions.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. Each other player reveals 2 cards from his deck per $1 you overpaid, puts the revealed Coppers back, and discards the rest.

Bookkeeper
+1 Card. +1 Action. At the start of your Buy phase, you may pay $2. If you do, take a Coin token.

Housekeeper
Trash a card from your hand. Take a Coin token.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, at the start of Clean-up, trash a card from your hand or from play per $1 you overpaid.

Highwayman
Types: Action – Attack
+1 Buy. +$1. Take 2 Coin tokens. Each other player gives you a Coin token.

City Councilman
+2 Cards. +1 Buy. +1 Card per empty Supply pile.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, trash a card from the Supply that is not a Victory card.

Strike
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy. Place a Coin token on each Kingdom pile.

When a player gains a card from a pile, he takes all the Coin tokens on it.

Barber
+1 Action. Choose one: Discard any number of cards and take a Coin token per card discarded; or pay any number of Coin tokens and +1 Card per token paid.

Builder
Types: Action – Reaction
+2 Cards. +1 Buy. If you've played 4 Action cards this turn (counting this), take a Coin token.

When you discard this other than during a Clean-up phase, you may reveal it. If you do, take a Coin token.

Investor
Either you gain a Curse or each other player gains a Curse, your choice. You may trash a Curse from your hand. If you do, take 4 Coin tokens.

Bribe
+1 Action. Gain a card costing up to $4.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $5 you overpaid (rounded down), gain a Province.

Legionnaire
You may pay a Coin token. If you do, gain a Gold, putting it into your hand. Otherwise, take a Coin token.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. Each other player discards a card per $1 you overpaid.

Sculptor
+1 Action. You may discard 2 cards. If you do, name 2 cards and reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. For each revealed card you named, take a Coin token and put that card on your deck. Discard the rest.

Wholesaler
+2 Actions. +1 Buy. Put a Coin token (from the supply) on any non-Victory Supply pile.

Cards cost $1 less per Coin token on their pile, but not less than $0. When a card is gained from a pile, remove a Coin token from that pile.

Tavern
+1 Action. +$2. Trash a card from your hand. Pay a Coin token. If you have no Coin tokens, gain a Curse. If you gained a Curse, take 3 Coin tokens.

Potter
Take 2 Coin tokens. You may pay up to 5 Coin tokens. For each Coin token you paid beyond the first, gain a card costing up to $4.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, take a Coin token, then play this.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 01:22:41 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 03:32:07 pm »

Reserved for results!

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 03:33:22 pm »
+1

reserved for pretending I submitted the best card first!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 03:40:16 pm »

Wooooo.  I've had this card ready pretty much since the first contest.  I made something for Prosperity but the more I tweaked it the more Guilds it became.

jpople02

• Steward
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 04:36:32 pm »

Oh, good, I've been looking forward to this one for a while.  Here are some Guildsy names that I thought up.  If any of them inspire you, feel free to use them.

Tailor
Seamstress
Weaver
Bricklayer
Architect
Guild Hall
Tavern
Sawmill
Carpenter
Painter
Jeweler

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 04:57:40 pm »
+5

Design a Kingdom card that would fit into the Guilds expansion. Such a card should have one or more of the following qualities:

• Produces Coin tokens.
• Has an overpay effect.
• Has a bald man on it
• Involves Cheesemaking or Ironic Tilling
Why do people forget these things?

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 05:15:24 pm »
+2

• Produces Coin tokens.
• Has an overpay effect.
• Has a bald man on it

As anyone will tell you, I am a forgetful kind of guy. Don't forget wordiness! A Guilds card should be wordy.

No, I am not serious. Please don't make your submission complex for the sake of being complex.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 08:14:30 pm »
+2

Merchant Guild, Candlestick Maker, Plaza, Baker and Soothsayer are pretty non-wordy.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 10:14:36 pm »
+3

It's kind of too bad that we can't have any more Victory cards.  Guilds doesn't have an official one, so it would have been nice to have one here.  Not that I had a Victory card submission ready for Guilds or anything. :P

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 11:40:54 pm »

• Produces Coin tokens.
• Has an overpay effect.
• Has a bald man on it

As anyone will tell you, I am a forgetful kind of guy. Don't forget wordiness! A Guilds card should be wordy.

No, I am not serious. Please don't make your submission complex for the sake of being complex.

Dawwww, I thought that was permission!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 12:08:45 am »

/tag
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 02:09:07 pm »
+1

I meant to say this way earlier, but before you submit a card for any contest, it would be a good idea to read through the Secret History of that expansion and maybe the appropriate Dominion Outtakes section as well. I think I have at least 3 submissions already that have overpay for Coin tokens. I will accept such submissions, but please think twice about submitting a card that's very close to an outtake.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 12:43:23 pm »
+1

I meant to say this way earlier, but before you submit a card for any contest, it would be a good idea to read through the Secret History of that expansion and maybe the appropriate Dominion Outtakes section as well. I think I have at least 3 submissions already that have overpay for Coin tokens. I will accept such submissions, but please think twice about submitting a card that's very close to an outtake.

But not all the outtakes were bad. Some just didn't add as much as cards that were chosen to be in the sets.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 05:04:42 pm »

The Guilds ballot is up! Like the Alchemy contest, the poll should go up Saturday-ish. If I botched or omitted your card, please let me know!

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 05:14:03 pm »

I just noticed this:

Potter
Take 2 Coin tokens. You may pay up to 5 Coin tokens. Gain a card costing up to $4 per Coin token paid beyond the first.
--
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, take a Coin token, then play this.

this is just Pay 3 coin tokens, gain a province, for $4. Way OP
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 05:16:53 pm »

I just noticed this:

Potter
Take 2 Coin tokens. You may pay up to 5 Coin tokens. Gain a card costing up to $4 per Coin token paid beyond the first.
--

I think you're reading it wrong. Its not "Gain a card costing up to ($4 per Coin token paid beyond the first)" its "(Gain a card costing up to $4) per coin token paid beyond the first".

So pay two coin tokens, its a workshop. Pay three, its a throned workshop. etc...

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 05:17:08 pm »

I just noticed this:

Potter
--

Dang, I need to reword that again. Thanks for the catch.

EDIT: OK, fixed. It's funny that this had the exact opposite wording problem than Butcher.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:20:17 pm by LastFootnote »

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +319
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 05:53:53 pm »

Awesome, thanks 'Foot!

Pretty excited to see Taskmaster, which I guess is the suggested reworking of Overseer from the Intrigue round.  I'd cut the coin token thing, but I really love this version of the card.  Especially when Black Market is in of the Task Master set, and Tournament is in the Black Market, and Princess is the only source of +Buy.

Strike also seems like an excellent card.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 06:07:23 pm »

Yeah Taskmaster seems like it doesn't need the coin token. It also turns the card from a group thing to an individual thing. Which is something I was on the fence about when I created Overseer. I think the group thing is more fun, but it also makes it less predictable. Having it reset each turn also fixes some of the reliability over Overseer, but makes it more likely a couple of the options get ignored. Which I guess is good and bad.

(didn't do Taskmaster. Just amused that someone took my idea and tried to fix it up  :) )

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 06:09:23 pm »

Yeah Taskmaster seems like it doesn't need the coin token. It also turns the card from a group thing to an individual thing. Which is something I was on the fence about when I created Overseer. I think the group thing is more fun, but it also makes it less predictable. Having it reset each turn also fixes some of the reliability over Overseer, but makes it more likely a couple of the options get ignored. Which I guess is good and bad.

(didn't do Taskmaster. Just amused that someone took my idea and tried to fix it up  :) )

I agree that it doesn't need the Coin token, but I'm confused by the rest of your comments. I'm pretty sure it's still meant to be a communal mat. I also don't think it resets each turn, right? It just resets once four of the five options have been used. Hold on, let me look at it again.

EDIT: Buh, I think I see what you mean. I may change the wording to try to line up with what I believe is the intended effect. Full disclosure: this is not my submission either (I didn't submit a card to this contest).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:12:18 pm by LastFootnote »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 06:13:57 pm »

Tiller
+1 Action. Reveal the top card of your deck. You may pay a Coin token. If you do, put the card into yoru hand. Otherwise discard it and take a Coin token.

Is something missing from this card? Isn't this way worse than Candlestick Maker. It can sift by 1 extra card than Candlestick Maker does, but doesn't have +1 buy and costs $4 instead of $2. To the author: please don't take too much offense for me having singled out your card before the others. After all, card balance does not necessarily correlate to how good a card is.

As for Taskmaker, it seems to me that it's just like Overseer, except there is more variety in what it provides you. The played card gets put back on the mat face down, and only face up cards can be played. It resets once 4 of the 5 cards are face down. The mat appears to be communal.

I'll be commenting on the other cards soon, but I want to comment on the Alchemy cards first. Man, so many overpay cards here.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 06:17:56 pm »

I agree that it doesn't need the Coin token, but I'm confused by the rest of your comments. I'm pretty sure it's still meant to be a communal mat. I also don't think it resets each turn, right? It just resets once four of the five options have been used. Hold on, let me look at it again.

EDIT: Buh, I think I see what you mean. I may change the wording to try to line up with what I believe is the intended effect. Full disclosure: this is not my submission either (I didn't submit a card to this contest).

Oh, I probably just glanced over it and misunderstood what it was saying. Looked like it was claiming that the mat got reset during cleanup. But now that I read closer it doesn't appear to be the case.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +319
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2013, 06:26:50 pm »

As for Taskmaker, it seems to me that it's just like Overseer, except there is more variety in what it provides you. The played card gets put back on the mat face down, and only face up cards can be played. It resets once 4 of the 5 cards are face down. The mat appears to be communal.

Actually, looking closer, it only resets during clean-up, because the Randomizer cards stay in play and don't get flipped face down till the end of the turn.  It can also only be played 5 times per turn, once for each effect.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.