Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #7: Alchemy  (Read 41716 times)

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #7: Alchemy
« on: December 11, 2013, 03:18:14 pm »
+2

The seventh contest is to design a card that would fit well in Alchemy.

Submission Rules

• Submit no more than one card per challenge.
• You are not obligated to submit a card for every challenge.
• Submit your card to me via this forum's messaging system.  Submissions made after each week's deadline cannot be accepted.
• Each card you submit must have a name, a cost, a list of types, and the exact wording that should appear on the card.  Also include a brief description of any special design considerations (e.g., Stash having a unique back), but do NOT include any other information, such as strategic commentary or examples about it would play.
• Unlike the previous set design contest, the name you give your card will appear on the ballot. If multiple cards with the same name are submitted, I will differentiate them with letters in a randomly chosen order, e.g. [Card Name] A, [Card Name] B, etc. Cards themselves will likewise be listed in a random order on the ballot.
• I will accept revisions to your contest entries provided they are submitted to me before the deadline.  If you submit a revision to an entry you have previously submitted to me, resubmit your revised card(s) in their entirety.  That is, don't tell me "Oh, can you make that +2 Cards say +3 Cards instead?"  Just resubmit the full card.
• Only submit cards that are your own design.
• You may submit cards that have been previously posted here in this forum, including those that have been refined by the community as a whole, provided you can still claim that the central conceit of the card -- and the majority of its final version -- is yours.
• A single card might conceivably qualify for multiple challenges within this series. If your card doesn't win the first challenge you submit it to, you may submit it for any and all future challenges (until it wins), provided the card fits those challenges. This is particularly pertinent for cards that don't win the first of two slots for a large expansion, although depending on which card does win, your card may not qualify for the second challenge.
• Do not disclose your submissions publicly, either in this thread or elsewhere!

For this Treasure Chest set, you may not submit cards that combine certain mechanics from multiple expansions. The idea is that you could simply slot the cards into their respective sets without needing components or rules specific to another set. Specifically:

• Duration cards may only be submitted as candidates for a Seaside slot.
• Potion-cost cards may only be submitted as candidates for the Alchemy slot.
• Cards that use VP tokens or cost $7 or more may only be submitted as candidates for a Prosperity slot.
• Cards that use Coin tokens and cards that use overpay may only be submitted as candidates for the Guilds slot.
• Cards that use Ruins (Looters) and cards that use Spoils may only be submitted as candidates for a Dark Ages slot.

Many mechanics are fair game for any submission. The following is an incomplete list.

• Victory/Action and Victory/Treasure hybrid cards.
• Cards that allow you to choose an ability from a list.
• Cards with on-buy, would-gain, on-gain, and on-trash abilities.

I will be putting some constraints on the set as a whole.

• The raw number of cards (including randomizers) must not exceed 150. This means no more Victory card submissions will be accepted until and unless a submission that uses fewer than 10 cards wins.

Challenge #7 : Alchemy

Design a Kingdom card that would fit into the Alchemy expansion. Such a card should have one or more of the following qualities:

• Has a Potion in its cost.
• Is good in multiples.
• Cares about Actions.

The deadline for this week's challenge is Wednesday, December 18, 2013 at 8am CDT.

If you have any questions, please post them here or send me a private message and I will endeavor to answer them in a timely manner. Good luck!

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #7: Alchemy
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 03:18:31 pm »
+2

Ivory Tower
Types: Action
Cost: $3P
+1 Card. +1 Action. Choose one: Set aside a card from your hand face down on your Ivory Tower mat; or put up to 3 cards from your mat into your hand. You may look through your cards at any time; trash them at the end of the game.

Clarification: On-trash effects are triggered. They are resolved in player order starting from the player on whose turn the game ended.

Elixir (A)
Types: Treasure
Cost: $2P
Worth $2. You may play an Action card from your hand.

Conjuror (A)
+3 Cards. You may discard a Potion. If you do, +1 Action. Otherwise, gain a Potion, putting it on top of your deck.

Professor
+1 Action. +1 Buy. Choose one: All cards cost $1 less this turn; or Action cards cost $2 less this turn. Cards cannot cost less than $0.

Elixir (B)
+1 Card. +1 Action. You may choose an Action card in your hand. Play it twice.

Druid
Cost: $4P
+1 Card. +1 Action. Choose one: +$2; or +P.

When you buy this, trash all Treasure cards you have in play.

Contraption
+1 Action. Look at the top 3 cards of your deck and reveal one of them. Gain an Action costing less than it. Discard any number of the looked-at cards. Put the rest back in any order.

Metallurgist
Cost: P
+1 Buy. You may trash a Treasure from your hand. If you do, +P. You may trash a Potion from your hand. If you do, +$3.

Enclave
+2 Actions. You may discard your hand. If you do, +1 Card per Action card you have in play.

Clairvoyant
+1 Action. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Set aside a revealed Action card. Put a revealed Victory card into your hand. Discard the rest. Play the set-aside Action.

Alkahest
Types: Actoin
Cost: $5P
+1 Card. +1 Buy. Choose one: +2P; or +$3. You may choose an Action card in your hand costing at least P and play it.

Kettle
Reveal your hand. You may trash any number of cards from your hand up to the number of Victory and Curse cards revealed. +1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy.

While this is in play, cards cost $1 less, but not less than $0.

Incantation
+1 Card. +1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. If you do, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a card that costs more than it and shares a type with it. Put it into your hand and discard the rest.

Wizard
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy. Gain a copy of the cheapest card with a Potion in its cost that the player on your right gained last turn. If he didn't gain such a card, gain a copy of the cheapest card he gained instead.

Clarification: This card has a unique back, like Stash. If there are multiple cards that have the same lowest cost, choose one of them.

Quicksilver
Types: Treasure – Reaction
When you play this, reveal your hand. This is worth $1 plus $1 per Action revealed.

When another player plays an Action, you may discard this. If you do, gain a copy of that Action.

Distill
Type: Action – Attack
Cost: PP
+2 Actions. Each player may return a card from his hand to the Supply. (Yours may come from your discard pile.) For each card returned, each player other than the one that returned it gains a copy of it. You may trash any number of the cards you gain this way. If there are no cards in your hand, discard pile, or deck, the game is over and you win.

EDIT: Distill updated so that you can trash the cards you gain, rather than the one you'd otherwise be returning to the Supply.

Bottle Imp
Cost: $5P*
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy. +$1. You may trash this. If you do, gain a cheaper card.

If you have at least 2 Actions in play, this costs P less.

Refinery
Types: Reaction
When you buy a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, if the card you bought is an…
Action card, set it aside when you gain it, putting it into your hand at the start of your next turn.
Victory card, set it aside when you gain it, returning it to your deck at the end of the game.
Other card, each other player gains a copy of it instead of you.

Retort
Types: Treasure – Reaction
When you play this, it's worth $1 per differently named Treasure you have in play (including this).

When another player plays a Potion, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Treasure.

Voodoo Doll
Types: Action – Attack
+$2. Each player with 5 or more cards in hand discards an Action card (or reveals a hand with no Action cards).

Catalyst
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy. +$1. Reveal then discard any number of Action cards. For each card discarded, +1 Card, +1 Buy, and +$1.

Brewmaster
Cost: PP
+1 Card. +1 Action. You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, gain a Potion. You may discard a Potion. If you do, choose one: Cards cost $2 less this turn; or cards cost P less this turn.

Assistant
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action other than an Assistant. Discard the rest, then play that Action twice.

Ritualist
+1 Card. You may discard a Potion. You may play an Action card from your hand. If you discarded a Potion, play it again. If it is a Ritualist, play it again. You may play it one more time. If you do, trash it.

Elicitor
Cost: PP*
+1 Action. Discard a card. For each P in its cost, gain an Action card, putting it into your hand. If there is no P in its cost, +2 Cards.

If you have a Potion in play, this costs P less.

Research
Cost: $1P
Trash 2 cards from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $2 or $1P more than the total cost of the trashed cards in coins.

When you gain this, gain an Action costing up to $4.

Drunkard
Cost: P
Discard any number of cards. Draw until you have 5 cards in hand. You may discard a Potion or an Action. If you do, play this again.

When you buy this, +2 Buys.

Conjurer (B)
You may play an Action card from your hand three times. Either trash that card or trash this.

Elixir (C)
+1 Action. +1 Buy. +$1. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Potion or a card costing at least P. Put that card into your hand and discard the rest.

Enchanter
+3 Cards. You may play an Enchanter from your hand.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 11:55:34 am by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 03:18:42 pm »

Reserved for results!

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 03:29:29 pm »
+2

A Word About Potion-Cost Cards

I highly recommend that you submit a Potion-cost card for this contest. When people want more Alchemy cards, this is what they're talking about. That being said, there is a myth out there that a Potion in a card's cost is approximately equal to 2.5 Coins. FALSE! For example, if you have a card that you think is too strong for $4, but too weak for $5, you may have been saving it for this contest so that you could submit it with a $2P cost. Please think twice about this. Maybe it'll be fine, but the important things to remember about Potion-cost cards are these:

1) A card with a Potion cost should ideally make you consider buying a Potion even if it's the only Potion-cost card on the board. Personally, I always play with 4-5 Alchemy cards at a time, but I know that's not the norm around here. This means that a Potion-cost card should ideally be either:

• A non-terminal Action that you want a bunch of.
• A Treasure card (that you want a bunch of).
• A Vault/Remodel that makes you happy to discard other copies of itself.

Or something along those lines.

2) A Potion cost limits how quickly you can amass that card.

3) I strongly caution you against cards that produce a potion (the thing that the Potion cards produce). With no other Potion cards on the board, you'll only be able to use it to buy more of the same card.

I guess that's about it. Again, I'll accept any (non-Victory) submission, but please keep some of this stuff in mind. Thanks.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 03:44:12 pm »

Very much ready for this one too. :P

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 05:45:25 pm »

Err...

I have no ideas for this, and don't own a physical copy of Alchemy, so it would be really hard to playtest anything I come up with, particularly with other potion-costing cards.

I'm just not going to submit anything for this contest, but i'm excited to see what others come up with.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 08:12:06 pm »

I had a nice Victory card for this one. Snif... not even a chance tu submit it.

Anyway, I also had a non-Victory, so lets stay positive.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 08:21:25 pm »

Been waiting for this one.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 10:10:50 pm »

Excess Lead
$P - Action
+1 Card
+3 Actions

When you trash this, gain 2 Gold cards, putting them on top of your deck.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 12:09:04 am »

/tag
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 02:05:48 pm »
+8

3 out of 8 submissions SO FAR are named Elixir. Just a heads-up. Maybe name your card something else if you haven't submitted yet.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 05:32:32 pm »
+15

3 out of 8 submissions SO FAR are named Elixir. Just a heads-up. Maybe name your card something else if you haven't submitted yet.

Now that you've told me, I'm gonna name my card "Elixir (A)" just to add maximal confusion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 07:03:46 pm »
+1

Some of you guys should switch to "Excess Lead".  Just saying, it should be the Cheesemaker of Alchemy.  Some other names:

Quicksilver
Alkahest (or Azoth, or Universal Solvent)
Aqua Fortis
Aqua Regia
Distillery
Charlatan

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 07:32:00 pm »
+2

Quicksilver
[…]
Charlatan

…ITYM "Quacksalver"

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 10:00:07 pm »

I thought I had nothing for this contest. Turns out I did.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 03:09:28 am »

I always end up making something up in my PM to LastFootnote.  That's probably why I never win any of these.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 03:22:39 am »

Now that you've told me, I'm gonna name my card "Elixir (A)" just to add maximal confusion.
I'll do the same, so your card gonna be Elixir (A) (A) and mine (insert Mine/Mint-joke here ;-)) gonna be Elixir (A) (B).

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 04:48:52 am by GwinnR »
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 12:07:58 pm »

I always end up making something up in my PM to LastFootnote.  That's probably why I never win any of these.

Me too, but one of my cards has done pretty well.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 01:29:00 pm »

I had a nice Victory card for this one. Snif... not even a chance tu submit it.

Anyway, I also had a non-Victory, so lets stay positive.

Me too, except for the second part. Okay, I will strain myself to rework my victory card into something else...
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 04:25:17 am »

I mixed up rats with stables - and to be honest, I love the result ;)

Addict
Cost: Potion - Action

Trash a treasure.

If you do:
+3 Cards
+ 1 Actions
Gain an Addict.

Remark: Similar to Rats, the supply pile should contain like 20 cards.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 09:10:28 am »

I mixed up rats with stables - and to be honest, I love the result ;)

Addict
Cost: Potion - Action

Trash a treasure.

If you do:
+3 Cards
+ 1 Actions
Gain an Addict.

Remark: Similar to Rats, the supply pile should contain like 20 cards.

The problem with this is the same as Transmute. I would almost never buy the Potion just for this. It doesn't even lower my deck size and can't trash junk, which Transmute can do. Essentially this is for turning your treasure cards into action cards, with a one time bonus in the trash. At least that's the way I see it.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 09:22:30 am »
+1

I'll concede that Addict is an incredible Scrying Pool accelerator. Maybe the Scrying Pool is actually just a hallucination?

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 01:06:28 pm »
+2

It [ ...] can't trash junk, which Transmute can do.

Depends on whether you want copper. To better understand this card, just imagine Stables would replace the discarded treasure by another Stables.
Copper ---> Stables  is usually a great thing, isn't it? And a card costing "Potion" is expensive, but not much more than 5$.

I'd argue that this card definitely has its moments, e.g. in the abundance of copper, with Beggar, with Scrying Pool ... (I only playtested it one evening, it was quite funny.)
But it's trappy as well, once your addicts have consumed your treasure they will ask for more and if there is not enough money, they will clog up your deck. This makes it an interesting question of timing when to get the first Addict (not to soon, probably).

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2013, 02:44:54 pm »

Soon you will need to replenish Coppers, unless you are using Addict as a Copper trasher and plan to trash Addicts as well shortly after usage, or you are running SP in which case you don't mind the "dead" Actions. If there is an abundance of +Buy (you are using WV's or Festival mostly for the Actions) or some Copper junker coming at you, you can replenish, but those are odd cases. And even in those cases, Addict is just a faster but less reliable Stables. In summary, I think it can shine, but it would be rare. But maybe not as rare as Coppersmith or Counting House shining.

My question is, why did you post your card here instead of submitting it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 23 queries.