Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What if King's Court cost $3?  (Read 3546 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
What if King's Court cost $3?
« on: December 11, 2013, 01:14:40 pm »
+4

I just got to thinking about this, since one way that powerful cards are put in check is by making them more expensive. But what would the best strategy usually be if KC cost $3?

Assuming that the board contains at least some actions that you want to triple (something other than treasure cards and villages, etc); do you automatically open KC/KC, even though you haven't helped your deck at all yet? Winning the KC split is often important, but if you just keep buying KC until they're gone; you'll have a terrible deck that will have a lot of trouble buying the key $5s you need. So do you build your deck first, then start adding KC, risking losing the split? In which case, except for +buy, $3 and $7 might not be all that different anyway!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: What if King's Court cost $3?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 01:30:13 pm »
+2

You would never open KC/KC, that's just silly. KC/Terminal openings wouldn't be impossible, but still not great in many (most?) cases. You wouldn't lose the KC split by buying other cards, they would almost certainly help you obtain more KC (or more importantly a higher action density) than just buying a bunch of KC at the beginning of the game. Just as opening Village/Village isn't usually the best way to win the Village split.

And $3 and $7 are still hugely different! It takes an entirely different economy to afford $7 cards versus $3. $7 is a lot of money!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 01:36:05 pm »
+2

Well, Throne Room used to cost $3, but was too easy to acquire en masse, so was bumped to $4.

I think this change would make it more likely that the King's Court split skews wildly in one direction as a player scores the last three KCs in one turn, or something. Think Fool's Gold, but much more devastating.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 01:37:08 pm »

I open Hermit/Ironworks and get all of the King's Courts.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 02:15:45 pm »
+6

People would open swindler/king's court and win or lose based on how the draws matched up.

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 03:09:20 pm »
+1

There are way too many good $4s that would be just outrageous if you could play them 3 times on your third turn. KC + Cutpurse, KC + Sea Hag, KC + Marauder, KC + Young Witch would all be pretty devastating if you could connect them on your first shuffle. I wonder if the power of these combos would outweigh the unlikeliness of connecting the KC and the terminal - it's rare that Throne Room/X is the correct open, but would an extra play of the terminal change that, so that that KC/X is the correct play?

With KC at $3, you probably ought to shoot to pick up multiple on a single turn, in almost any kingdom with any kind of +buy, virtual or actual. Trying to drive the KC pile from the start doesn't help your deck at all, and is probably slower than using the KCs to your advantage in most cases.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 04:00:11 pm »

There are way too many good $4s that would be just outrageous if you could play them 3 times on your third turn. KC + Cutpurse, KC + Sea Hag, KC + Marauder, KC + Young Witch would all be pretty devastating if you could connect them on your first shuffle. I wonder if the power of these combos would outweigh the unlikeliness of connecting the KC and the terminal - it's rare that Throne Room/X is the correct open, but would an extra play of the terminal change that, so that that KC/X is the correct play?

With KC at $3, you probably ought to shoot to pick up multiple on a single turn, in almost any kingdom with any kind of +buy, virtual or actual. Trying to drive the KC pile from the start doesn't help your deck at all, and is probably slower than using the KCs to your advantage in most cases.

Also, the Throne Room + X discussion (until recently!) has been with X costing $3. Throne Room + Sea Hag could be different; not sure.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 09:32:14 pm »
+3

There are way too many good $4s that would be just outrageous if you could play them 3 times on your third turn.

with baker this could theoretically be $5's. 3 x witch or 3 x mountebank on turn 3 is downright cruel.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 02:39:35 am »

KC is so dominant that you probably absolutely want to win the split.

Whichever crappy way you get out of the opening, you'll probably have enough time to make up for it.

Cards which can give good double buys early like Baron, become more important.
Salvager with something like Pawn on the board.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 09:36:55 am »
+9

Don't forget you could open King's Court/Throne Room.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 09:24:50 pm »

How is KC-Cutpurse so strong?  Your opponent misses out on buying a KC, probably, but you forfeit at least one KC buying Cutpurse for this combo, and risked forfeiting another if you drew KC-Estate-Estate instead. Now you have about 7$, but what will you buy? Gold? Not likely.
Not saying it's a bad opening, I just don't think it's all that ridiculous.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 09:34:28 pm »

There are way too many good $4s that would be just outrageous if you could play them 3 times on your third turn.

with baker this could theoretically be $5's. 3 x witch or 3 x mountebank on turn 3 is downright cruel.
You know what? I have a feeling KC-Saboteur could also be deadly. Interestingly, losing KCs to Saboteur becomes much worse when KC only costs $3.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 05:25:15 am »

Lining up a King's Court with almost any Action puts you in an extremely good position, so the goal would be to get a high action density so you have a decent chance of lining up. Workshop/Hermit/Ironworks would be quite good, so you don't have to "overpay" for the KC when you decide to get it.

In prosperity games KC+Terminal Silver+CCC=Platinum. Worth the risk to open KC? Perhaps, especially if that Terminal Silver is Swindler or Scavenger (to set up a KC+Scavenger+Platinum deck).

A related question:

Would King's Court still be a $7 card if the text was "You may reveal an action other than a King's Court. Play it 3 times"?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.