Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Revised versions of published cards  (Read 105677 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
Re: Revised versions of published cards
« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2017, 01:15:13 pm »
+9

I'm finally replacing the Harems in my copy of Intrigue. There are just so many reasons.

• The art is horrible.
• I don't want to have to explain what a harem is to my children once they're old enough to play.
• I'm pretty sure Harem should cost $5. It's a really weak $6 card. I mean compare it to Nobles.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 10:43:19 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 28, 2017, 01:42:02 pm »
+4

Other updates.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 10:44:19 pm by LastFootnote »

Q

• Salvager
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2017, 06:32:56 am »
+2

Interesting changes.
I think that Harem is often underrated and pricing it at 5$ would basically make it a Duchy substitute, i.e. the tricky decision between Gold-Harem and later Harem-Duchy becomes less tricky and more trivial.
The non-trashing clause on Possession makes the card easier to understand but at the cost of making all trash-for-benefit cards quasi-defenses against Possession.
I like your Harvest buff, it is not too much and it now nicely interacts with cards like Vassal or Chariot Race.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2017, 08:19:32 am »
+2

Manor is good.

Scrying Pool can I think preserve the self-Spy aspect of it - removing the attack part is all you need to speed it up, and in decks where you can't thin it becomes just that much swingier and less reliable. But it's not like it's now unusable.

Possession's fox is interesting and probably works. I probably still prefer a variant of Donald's fix, but that gets rid of a lot of issues and makes TFB decks a viable counter.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2017, 11:51:07 am »
+1

I think that Harem is often underrated and pricing it at 5$ would basically make it a Duchy substitute, i.e. the tricky decision between Gold-Harem and later Harem-Duchy becomes less tricky and more trivial.

Well admittedly I have yet to test Manor, but I'm not really worried about the issues you're bringing up. Whenever you have $6, you're making the same decision between Gold, Harem, and Duchy that you always have. There's really no change there. At $5, there are still times you'd buy Duchy over Harem. And in fact, I'm not sure this change would ever make me buy Harem when I would previously have bought Duchy. If anything, it might sometimes make me buy Harem over the other $5 cards that I would have bought over Duchy. Maybe I'm wrong, and that sometimes when I would have bought Duchy I now get Harem. That's sounds like an upside to me, though. Clearly I still buy Duchy when I don't think I'll draw it this game. Why would I sacrifice 1 VP for $2 that I'll never get to use?

Really you've got two situations here. First, games where you specifically want Victory cards, because of Patrol or Silk Road or what-have-you. I think it will be great to be able to pick up Harems a bit more easily in those games and see those combos more.

Second, you've got games without that, where you're just making calls between Gold, Harem, and Duchy. In these games, Gold is best early and Duchy is best late. Harem has a narrow band in the middle. This cost reduction lets you buy more Harems/Manors during that band, and I think that's all to the good. I'd rather be buying the Kingdom card than the basic ones.

I'm rambling, but the point I'm trying to make is that this Gold vs. Manor/Harem vs. Duchy thing is just a total non-issue. The actual issue is whether Manor is too strong at $5 compared to other Kingdom cards. And man, I just really doubt that it is.

The non-trashing clause on Possession makes the card easier to understand but at the cost of making all trash-for-benefit cards quasi-defenses against Possession.

Thanks. "Easier to understand" wasn't my primary goal, but I'm glad you find it that. I wouldn't call making trash-for-benefit cards counters for Possession a "cost". I think it's a mild positive.

I like your Harvest buff, it is not too much and it now nicely interacts with cards like Vassal or Chariot Race.

Thanks! I've played a fair few games with this version, and it's been great. Even without the combos it's a significant boost. It doesn't make it a top $5 card, but we actually buy it now outside of narrow combos (King's Court, Tunnel, etc.).

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:58:00 am by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2017, 11:56:00 am »

Scrying Pool can I think preserve the self-Spy aspect of it - removing the attack part is all you need to speed it up, and in decks where you can't thin it becomes just that much swingier and less reliable. But it's not like it's now unusable.

Yeah, I've played a few games with this version, and it's an enormous nerf. I mean Scrying Pool needed an enormous nerf, but you know. It's significant. The jury's still out on if it's too weak. Adding the self-Spy is a lot of words, though, and it muddies the core concept of the card. I'd rather buff it by reducing its cost (probably to P) than by adding back those words.

Possession's fox is interesting and probably works. I probably still prefer a variant of Donald's fix, but that gets rid of a lot of issues and makes TFB decks a viable counter.

I enjoy Possession in my IRL games (which is where I use these revised cards), so for me, keeping the core concept was important. But I definitely wanted to stop multi-Possession turns, and making trash-for-benefit cards usable in Possession games is also nice from my perspective.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2017, 12:33:12 pm »
+1

What if your version of Scrying Pool had a +1 card on it? It would be slightly stronger than self-spying, but not buy much, and far less words than self-spying.

If the top card of your deck is an action, then you would have drawn it with old Scrying Pool or +1 card Scrying Pool, so it makes no difference at all.

If the top card of your deck isn't an action, then with old Scrying Pool would would have discarded it; with +1 card Scrying Pool you draw it instead. Good if it's a treasure.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 12:36:51 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2017, 06:16:18 pm »
+3

What if your version of Scrying Pool had a +1 card on it? It would be slightly stronger than self-spying, but not buy much, and far less words than self-spying.

If the top card of your deck is an action, then you would have drawn it with old Scrying Pool or +1 card Scrying Pool, so it makes no difference at all.

If the top card of your deck isn't an action, then with old Scrying Pool would would have discarded it; with +1 card Scrying Pool you draw it instead. Good if it's a treasure.

I think that would make it crazy. I mean at that point it's always a Laboratory, and quite often better.

Q

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2017, 07:26:01 am »

I'm rambling, but the point I'm trying to make is that this Gold vs. Manor/Harem vs. Duchy thing is just a total non-issue. The actual issue is whether Manor is too strong at $5 compared to other Kingdom cards. And man, I just really doubt that it is.
I think that if you were only playing with Base and Intrigue Harem would be totally fine but from a retrospective all-expansions perspective you are totally right: engines have become more frequent, making a Treasure-Victory card a bit worse, and 5s are often situationally better than Gold anyway.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2017, 08:17:24 am »
+1

I prefer the revised base/intrigue approach to fixing cards; new card that isn't quite the same but fills the niche in a different way.

I like your version of Harvest, but I think it would be more interesting as a $3 card that turns up 3 cards (keeping the "put back" clause).

$5 Harem would probably be better if either the VP or Treasure were more complex/conditional

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2017, 08:21:17 am »
+2

But $5 Harem is a good idea. $6 Harem provides an interesting choice between Harem and Gold, but $5 also makes you think about whether to go for Harem or Duchy, and it also has early game relevance.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2017, 10:46:49 am »

I think that would make it crazy. I mean at that point it's always a Laboratory, and quite often better.

I feel like it's rare for regular Scrying Pool to not always be a Laboratory, and quite often better... if the +1 card version draws a card more than regular Pool, it's only if that extra card is a non-action, which is generally a junk card in a Scrying Pool deck anyway.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2017, 11:15:50 am »

I feel like it's rare for regular Scrying Pool to not always be a Laboratory, and quite often better... if the +1 card version draws a card more than regular Pool, it's only if that extra card is a non-action, which is generally a junk card in a Scrying Pool deck anyway.

Well first of all, I would prefer this version to be weaker than regular Scrying Pool (in addition to being faster). Regular Scrying Pool is overpowered. And I think you're putting the cart before the horse on your second point. A deck with Cantrip Scrying Pool doesn't have to care nearly as much about having more non-Actions in it in order to be great.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2017, 11:28:26 am »

I prefer the revised base/intrigue approach to fixing cards; new card that isn't quite the same but fills the niche in a different way.
Hmm, I think it depends on the card. I'd much rather have Bandit than a slightly-tweaked Thief. But now that I've played with Patrol a bunch, I think I'd rather have Scout with +$1 than Patrol. Scout was perfectly unique and it was better at interacting with e.g. Mill and Nobles than Patrol is. It just needed a boost.

I like your version of Harvest, but I think it would be more interesting as a $3 card that turns up 3 cards (keeping the "put back" clause).
I think that would be too weak to even cost $2. I mean both the coin-generating and sifting properties are significantly weaker with that change; so much weaker that I would very rarely want to waste a terminal action on it. It would be another Chancellor, I think.

$5 Harem would probably be better if either the VP or Treasure were more complex/conditional
Here is the perfect example of "slight tweak" being better than "complete overhaul". The concept is fine, and simplicity is good. I'm not eager to make it more complex for no gain.

It's tempting to put the Coppersmith replacement on top, I guess.

Manor: Treasure-Victory, $5
When you play this, it's worth $1 per copy of the card you have the most copies of in play.

2 VP
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 11:31:09 am by LastFootnote »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 03, 2017, 11:52:04 am »

Yeah, I think Harem/Manor is fine at .  It still gets bought enough.

I'm also amused that it took you 4 years to mock up Manor, though.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 03, 2017, 07:06:34 pm »
+1

Yeah, I think Harem/Manor is fine at .  It still gets bought enough.

I'm also amused that it took you 4 years to mock up Manor, though.

What can I say? I'm a busy guy.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1664
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 03, 2017, 08:46:08 pm »

[Manor]
That would take all the fun out of teasing my mom that Harem is her favorite card...

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +455
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2017, 04:52:26 pm »
+1

These are interesting revisions. But LastFootnote, could you re-insert your older revisions (Scout etc.) to your first post? I haven't saved them, and I may still want to try them out in the future...

Here is the perfect example of "slight tweak" being better than "complete overhaul". The concept is fine, and simplicity is good. I'm not eager to make it more complex for no gain.
I agree. In this spirit, I've also been thinking of tweaking some of the removed cards slightly to make them more playable:

Adventurer would probably work with just a reduced cost; I think I'd try it at $4 (or even $3); this might make it a reasonable BM card (in engines, it's still usually worse than Moat).

Feast could certainly afford a price decrease to $3 as well (making the TR/Feast opening possible again :) ), but it would probably still be weakish then. However, what about:

Feast: Action, $3
Trash this. Gain a card costing up to $6.

I think this would still not be overpowered. This change would allow you to always gain a Gold on your second shuffle, but you often prefer an early $5 Action over Gold anyway. It would be very strong with a $6 Action like Goons on the board, but I think that's okay.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:04:26 pm by Holger »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2017, 05:34:58 pm »
+1

These are interesting revisions. But LastFootnote, could you re-insert your older revisions (Scout etc.) to your first post? I haven't saved them, and I may still want to try them out in the future...

I will try to remember to re-upload my updated Scout. Were there other ones that I removed? I forget. I figured with Patrol, updating Scout was a moot point. Though I think I do prefer Scout with +$1 to Patrol overall, I don't prefer it enough to make that change in my own set. Again, I will try to remember to mock it up with my latest template for posting here.

EDIT: Oh that's right, I had a Rebuild replacement. It was a Dark Ages outtake, but I never really tested it. And when we tried a version of that (for Adventures or Empires, can't recall which), it wasn't any fun. So, do you want that one? I cannot vouch for its quality like I can for Scout+.

I agree. In this spirit, I've also been thinking of tweaking some of the removed cards slightly to make them more playable:

Adventurer would probably work with just a reduced cost; I think I'd try it at $4 (or even $3); this might make it a reasonable BM card (in engines, it's still usually worse than Moat).

I think Adventurer should cost $2, no joke. It takes a lot of work to make it good, like Poor House. Arguably it takes even more work than Poor House, though the upper bound on its power is also higher. Anyway, yeah, $2. That's my unofficial official recommendation.

Feast could certainly afford a price decrease to $3 as well (making the TR/Feast opening possible again :) ), but it would probably still be weakish then. However, what about:

Feast: Action, $3
Gain a card costing up to $6.

I think this would still not be overpowered. This change would allow you to always gain a Gold on your second shuffle, but you often prefer an early $5 Action over Gold anyway. It would be very strong with a $6 Action like Goons on the board, but I think that's okay.

I would be tempted to also cost Feast at $2, having it still gain a card costing up to $5. Your version is likely also totally fine power-wise, but might be boring in practice since lots of casual players (most even?) will just take the Gold every time.

Alternatively, Feast could cost $3 or $4 and top-deck the gained card. That's kind of close to Artisan? I mean if we're talking Base Set, Artisan replaces Feast in a very real way. And the set already has that and Workshop filling the "workshop" slots.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:38:02 pm by LastFootnote »

Q

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2017, 03:47:08 am »

I think Adventurer should cost $2, no joke. It takes a lot of work to make it good, like Poor House. Arguably it takes even more work than Poor House, though the upper bound on its power is also higher. Anyway, yeah, $2. That's my unofficial official recommendation.
I totally agree. At first it sounds crazy that a formerly-existing 6 would be balanced at 2. But Adventurer has a simple problem: it is a terminal payload card that is only good if you have decent Treasures in your deck. If you play BM you could also just draw those Treasures with terminal draw. If you play an engine you either don't wanna clog your deck with Treasures or, e.g. if you get them on the way via something like Soothsayer, you don't wanna waste terminal space on a terminal payload card as the Gold in your deck already does the trick.
So the card becomes only useful in rare cases like Platinum games or alt-VP where digging for Treasures becomes important due to all the green in your deck.

Something like Poor House might require more work than Adventurer (trashing, extra Buys, decent village support) but it is not at its core such an inconsistent card.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 03, 2017, 06:07:09 pm »
+1

How about, since it would no longer be in the base set:

Feast
Action - $4
Gain a card costing up to $5. If it cost $5, trash this.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 03, 2017, 06:12:54 pm »

And

Adventurer
Action - $5
Gain a Gold. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Treasure; put it in your hand and discard the rest.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 03, 2017, 06:35:27 pm »
+3

I think Changeling pretty handily replaces Feast. Yes they have differences, but.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 04, 2017, 05:34:03 am »

I've only seen these now. Thanks for making them. :)
Have you figured out whether modded SP deserves a cost reduction?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2017, 01:16:16 am »
+2

5$ Harem is still hot garbage.

I do buy it on very rare occasions where I know I will draw it about 1.2 times this game (not all of those occasions). It comes out to about 4 VP for 6$. But that doesn't make it a well designed card.  Feast was part of every single top Dominion player's buying algorithm for lategame game states where it could be converted to Duchy.  That didn't make Feast a good card either, which is why Feast is dead now.  Dominion is not a game about figuring out that Gardens is currently worth one more VP than Duchy on the second to last turn so that's what you buy.  That's not what brings anyone to Dominion.  It's not even a game about buying Mining Village over Blessed Village before you go through your last reshuffle of the game, because Mining Village will do more the one time it gets played.  The game is about permanently adding new cards to your deck.  Two games ago I puzzled over whether repeated uses of Peasant or Black Market would make better permanent investments in the strength of my deck on a certain kingdom, that's what Dominion is.

Harem is about as good of a card as a textless Island would be.  Incremental impacts on lategame tactics, without having measurable impacts on how players choose to develop their decks the way Vineyards or even Colony does.

The heuristic of "do people still buy this in 10-15% of games" is being misapplied in a way that harkens back to Silver Test one liners, which is fitting since it's a Silver.

I think Harem deserves the Coppersmith treatment much more than Coppersmith did.  You can price it at 5$ though.  That's definitely an improvement. It can at least increase the difficulty of the strategy selection phase since monolithic dead draw has been on hard times with the newer sets in play, and knowing your Smithy deck gets two VP chips every time it realizes its best purchase is 5$ Silver makes it just a bit more likely that monolithic dead draw will actually be the best choice somewhere, and someone will get the reward they deserve for selecting it unmirrored.  Aside from that though, I don't think it will do much.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:19:48 am by popsofctown »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.