Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I suck (Goons game)  (Read 9298 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
I suck (Goons game)
« on: December 11, 2013, 12:56:40 am »
+4

I mentioned elsewhere on the forum that I suck, so people suggested I post here so maybe people can help me get better.

Here's the game I just finished:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131210/log.50ce7267e4b0e91495e0f8a2.1386740577931.txt

Kingdom cards: Embargo, Menagerie, Scheme, Village, Fortress, Remodel, Smithy, Explorer, Mine, Goons.
Not sure what else to say about it except I'm not sure how I could've done better.  Seems like I got a lot of bad shuffle luck to me.

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
Re: I suck (Goons game)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 01:39:55 am »
+2

This is a tricky board to play correctly. Goons engines are some of the most powerful decks in dominion, villages are plentiful, scheme can set up menagerie in hand to anticipate the goons, and smithy is good draw. That said, neither of you really opened well here. The central problem for engines here is trashing: mine is the only real way to get rid of copper, and the presence of copper is made worse by menagerie, which profits tremendously from a clear, varied deck. In the short turn, the village-smithy couplet will be hard to build, but mining treasures into silver and silver into engine pieces should prove promising in the long game. Do not buy extra coppers on early Goons turns. This quickly defeats the most difficult task for the engine player here.

Remodel works well here as an opener, as does silver for reaching Goons. Menagerie and Village/Fortress are good, but they must come later, after your deck has fewer coppers and more terminals.

Any thoughts on how best to move from there?

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 04:47:30 am »

how about opening embargo smith, trying to quickly embargo goons two times and play smithy BM?
edit: never mind, fortress - remodel..

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 04:55:59 am »

The presence of menagerie means the rush to first goons is not so important. I think it is safe to open remodel silver or maybe even the aggressive remodel/scheme since there are so many important cards costing 4 or less. Remodelling copper into embargo is awful but better than keeping the coppers around. Later you can remodel fortress into goons. The board is a heavy goons board i.e. it is sufficiently easy to earn lots of points from goons that green cards should not be bought except as defense to prevent the opponent from three piling.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 05:02:38 am »
+3

Thoughts on copper buys:

0. Default to don't.

1. Is it late enough in the game that I would consider buying an estate for 2? Then yes. Note the "consider." If I'd be on the fence about the estate, I buy the copper. (If I'd definitely buy the estate, this is almost a tautology.)

2. Have I played the card goons more times than I ever expect to play it again this turn? For instance, if in a horrible cursing slog I have a freak show hand of village village goons goons goons, I can bet neither my opponent nor me will get this lucky again. I buy the coppers and work on ending the game.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 06:11:17 am »

The presence of menagerie means the rush to first goons is not so important. I think it is safe to open remodel silver or maybe even the aggressive remodel/scheme since there are so many important cards costing 4 or less. Remodelling copper into embargo is awful but better than keeping the coppers around. Later you can remodel fortress into goons. The board is a heavy goons board i.e. it is sufficiently easy to earn lots of points from goons that green cards should not be bought except as defense to prevent the opponent from three piling.
I find Menagerie defense against Goons a less than stellar option with all those nasty Coppers and Estates.

I mean, if you have EECC-M, you discard EC, draw back up to 5 and have what? 4 Coppers?

Remodel is also kind of meh, sure remodeling Estates is nice, but with Coppers in hand it's just a dead card. It won't come into the picture until later for me.

I think the rush to Goons IS important, mainly because of Goons' +Buy.
You want to build a draw deck eventually so having Goons to load up on Villages and Smithies is pretty nice.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 06:16:10 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 08:06:30 am »
+3

Agreeing with Davio is a safe place to be.  You got extremely fortunate getting your goons T3.  The question becomes: How do I capitalize on this?  The answer is to play it as frequently as possible.  So, for example, on your T8 you bought Menagerie/Remodel.  To build a better draw deck, going village/smithy is more important here.  Then again on T10 you buy a gold and a copper (for the VP).  As others have mentioned, copper buys should happen late game, not this early.  Playing goons is more important than having a gold in hand, so again, I would go for engine building components (maybe village/scheme) or even another goons.

So the big takeaway from this game:  You want to play goons as frequently as possible.  In order to do that you need to have a couple of things.  +actions and +cards.  And as small a deck as possible.  So that means more smithies and fewer coppers and plenty of villages.  One remodel can be very useful early to upgrade estates into smithies/fortresses.  Then after that you hopefully hit remodel with your fortress which lets you keep fortress and gain an additional card such as goons or smithy (depending on what you need at the time).  The goal of this game is not to have money in your hand, but to play goons for points as much as possible.

Hope this was helpful.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 08:27:08 am »
+1

I find Menagerie defense against Goons a less than stellar option with all those nasty Coppers and Estates.

I mean, if you have EECC-M, you discard EC, draw back up to 5 and have what? 4 Coppers?

Remodel is also kind of meh, sure remodeling Estates is nice, but with Coppers in hand it's just a dead card. It won't come into the picture until later for me.

I think the rush to Goons IS important, mainly because of Goons' +Buy.
You want to build a draw deck eventually so having Goons to load up on Villages and Smithies is pretty nice.

I think Menagerie is pretty much always a stellar counter to Goons - you should be able get the +3 cards quite regularly. I would rather have EECCM, discard to ECM, then draw up ECCCC, rather than just have EECC Silver. With the menagerie, I have successfully filtered 5 coppers though my hand as opposed to just 2. Menagerie vs. Goons lets you trade two bad cards and the Menagerie for three potentially good cards.

If you do go heavy on Menageries, Remodeling all the Estates too early could hurt. You probably want to keep at least one or two to help your diversity, Remodeling coppers instead. I wonder if there's a potential for a savvy Embargo play; it would take some skill to identify your opponent's strategy and react. A curse could actually help the Menageries in the long run, and you might get your opponent to think twice about picking up certain cards.

Getting the first Goons is nice, but usually the attack is more important than the buy the first few times your play it. Without Menagerie, it can really make getting to $6 yourself a pain. I agree that the extra buy is very important on an engine board with lots of cheap components, but not necessarily as important to get before your opponent.

As for strategy tips, my advice is to play as many Goons as often as possible. e makes good points about the power of drawing. Remodeling Fortress is always good. You don't need to buy more treasure, especially Copper (until late in the game, or when you line up 3+ Goons). The extra one VP now isn't worth seeing that junk card for another 20 turns.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 08:32:03 am »
+11

This is a fantastic game to post in terms of learning potential, and I really admire your attitude. Keep it, regardless of how good you'll get. You'll always suck; getting better, in fact, is for a large part just discovering the finer and finer ways in which you suck. It always saddens me when an opponent, after losing a game, abuses the chat by whining about shuffle luck, defending his strategy or attacking mine. So to reward your attitude I decided to write a detailed break-down about how I would approach a board like this, which I hope will not just improve your play but also how you think about Dominion.

Seems like I got a lot of bad shuffle luck to me.

I find that when I get really shafted by shuffle luck it's completely obvious to me and it doesn't bother me at all, I can laugh about it, even, like one laughs about a freak event precisely because it's so improbable. But whenever I feel the need to whine or complain, whenever I feel any sort of frustration, or even the slightest need to mention anything at all, it's usually a sign that I know, subconsciously, that I'm playing poorly, but that my ego gets in the way of admitting it. In this game you didn't get bad luck, you just played it poorly. And that's okay lol, I'm a bit jealous even, I whish I could learn so much from a single game ;)

On to the actual game...

The first thing that stands out to me when looking at your log, is you buying lots of Coppers and green cards. I think this indicates a lack of fundamental understanding of the game. The point of Dominion is not to amass at some opportune moments a good amount of victory points and hope that whenever the game randomly ends you have more of them than your opponent does. Rather, the point of Dominion is to manipulate your deck in particular and the game state in general in such a way that you maximize your chances of winning the game. Everything you do, every single decision you make--from what to open to when and whether to green--should be done with this goal in mind, and ideally you are continuously aware of exactly how each of your individual actions aligns with and contributes to this higher purpose.

How does this apply to your game? When you first look at the board, before even thinking about what to open, the card that should stand out at once, towering so high above the others that they are completely obscured by its immeasurable shadow, is Goons. What makes Goons so powerful is not just that it gives you VP, but that the amount of VP it can give scales super-linearly with the number of Goons in play: 2, 6, 12, 20, 30--so having one turn where you play 5 Goons can be as good as having 15(!) single-Goons turns. Moreover, if you use your buys correctly, you'll be gaining much of your VP while simultaneously improving your deck, whereas buying green cards almost always detoriates it. Goons +buys have the additional advantage of giving you endgame control through 3-piling.

So when Goons is on board, the first thing you should ask yourself is whether there is a way to play multiple Goons/turn. For this you absolutely need some sort of Village (including both TR/Procession/KC/Golem + cantrip and Madman), and ideally also some sort of draw. Both are available in spades here in the form of Village/Fortress and Menagerie/Smithy, respectively. There are no cursers or other attacks that might complicate things, nor are there any rush strategies to worry about, so it's pretty clear that you want to end up with a deck with lots of draw, lots of Villages and lots of Goons.

Having determined our destination, it's time to figure out the best way to get there. One way is to just open Smithy/Silver, aim for a quick Goons and then just load up on Villages and more Smithies and Goons. This looks nice on paper, where we whishfully envision every Smithy being flanked by a Village and drawing just as many Goons as we have actions left. In that pesky reality we happen to inhabit, however, almost any deck that holds on to the 10 junk cards it starts with is going to be terribly inconsistent. When you want to build a reliable engine, trashing, in whatever form it comes, is simply a must.

Because you want to trash as early and often as possible, Remodel is the only viable open, both with 4/3 and 5/2. You do not want a Mine, as you want to get rid of your starting cards, not just turn them into Silvers. With 4/3 you want a Scheme with your Remodel. Opening Silver is a serious mistake as relative to Scheme it both decreases deck-cycling and expected number of Remodel plays, while giving you very little in return because there are no $5 cards you want and you are very unlikely to hit $6. Past your first Estate (which I might turn into a 2nd Remodel), you want to Remodel your Coppers into Embargoes (probably Embargoing the Goons if you don't hit $6 with it) if you don't need the Copper right away, as this makes your Menageries better quicker.

When to get your Menageries depends on what your opponent does. If he gets a quick Goons, grab them immediately after, otherwise wait till your deck is lean and varied enough to have a reasonable chance of activating them (which is sooner than you might think, as Remodel can allow you to get rid of just the right duplicate when you have Menagerie in hand, and Scheme enables variation). Don't get tempted to buy more than one Silver, you'll likely get your first Goons either from Silver-2xCopper-Embargo or from Remodelling a Fortress or Remodel.

With this approach you should be able to build a deck that draws itself consistently, even in the face of a discard attack. Just make sure you end up with (ideally) at most 1 each of Copper, Estate and Silver to basically guarantee that your Menageries keep drawing and drawing and drawing. Once you get to that stage you'll overtake the deck that didn't bother to trash down in just a few turns. Remodelling a Fortress into a Goons and playing it the same turn will be particularly nice.

I hope it's now clear why exactly buying all those Coppers and green cards is so bad, but in case it isn't: the many Goons you'll be playing will give you enough points to not need any green, and both the green cards and Copper completely destroy your Menagerie's drawing potential, which, when properly managed, are Villages + Smithies in one.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:46:04 am by SheCantSayNo »

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 08:35:54 am »
+2

Welcome to the help forum.
The tips I would give here are:

Don't blame shuffle luck if you want to improve quickly.

Only open with a village if you have a very good reason.

Have a plan, the wrong plan is still better than no plan (from a learning / improving point of view).

For example:
End Game play lots of Goons.
Mid Game, buy goons, buy Villages and Smithy's, trash.
first 2 buys need to enable the mid game.

This is a tricky board so any of the following plans seems OK to me:

Scheme + Remodel, planning to trash as much as you can and use Menagerie for draw
Silver + Smithy: Best chance of an early $6 Goons if you think this is important.
Silver + Remodel: planning to remodel estates into Smithy and buy villages on turn 3 and 4.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 08:46:41 am »

Turn 3 Goons after opening Fortress?! What great luck! To capitalize on this, I will echo and expand on earlier comments: you want to play it as often as possible, so don't buy Coppers until the end of the game (ehunt's metric of buy when you would consider getting an Estate is a good one).

You're Scheme on turn 4 is good. That definitely lets you play Goons more often. Your Remodel on turn 6 is good because you want to turn Estates into engine pieces (Fortresses/Smithy probably) and Fortresses into more pieces, although I would have opened Remodel-Scheme instead and definitely wouldn't have picked up the Coppers.  Scheme is definitely good here for you. Since you are relying on Village-Smithy, you should have picked up at least 2 more Schemes. This would allow you to (ideally) put back Fortress-Smithy-Goons or something. Scheme is also a good target for multiple buys with Goons in play midgame. Alternatively, you could rely more heavily on Menagerie if you are counting on lots of Goons from your opponent, as well.

Looking at your final deck composition, you probably had too many Smithies and not enough villages. You have 5 Smithies, 5 Goons, 2 Remodels, 1 Mine = 13 terminals but only 6 villages. When playing an engine, it's a very loose rule of thumb to have about as many key terminals as villages. You could have done with a couple fewer Smithies and no Mine if your deck was thinner and you had Schemes to put back a village and a Smithy, at least.

ninj'd by Rabid and SheCantSayNo

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 08:58:51 am »

I just think Menagerie is highly unreliable here.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 09:32:23 am »
+2

I just think Menagerie is highly unreliable here.

Well activating one Menagerie will be a piece of cake, basically every turn. Activating two will be easy as well once you've got Villages, Fortresses, Schemes, Goons, and whatever else. Because the Remodel has a target (Embargo) for Coppers that will eventually disappear from your deck, and plenty of awesome cantrip targets for estates, it should work as a light trasher on this board. Your deck won't be as consistent, and it will take a lot longer to acquire the pieces, if you only use Village/Smithy for draw.

As others have said, Remodel opening is a must. Everything you want is at $3/4, except for Goons which you can easily get by Remodeling a $4.

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 01:53:38 pm »

I had not realized that embargo would work as a target for Remodeled coppers. I guess mine isn't needed anymore!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 02:26:02 pm »

Nobody has said anything about scheme yet so I'll mention that. Schemes can be hurt badly by discard attacks since you could be throwing a card you know in order to draw an unknown card from the top of the deck. There are obvious benefits from keeping a menagerie or goons on top of your deck but you'll be suffering a little if you keep schemes themselves from turn to turn. That could happen if you try to run a scheme-goons-treasure deck. Also here you were putting your goons on top of the deck whenever possible and it then clashed with remodel. You need to buy less terminals when using scheme to keep a strong terminal from hand to hand.

In an engine deck the scheme is going to be surpassed very quickly by menagerie and villages so you really only want one scheme. Eventually you will be looking to draw the deck every turn with the one scheme putting a menagerie on top the deck.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 03:02:43 pm »
+1

Thanks all.  It looks to me like my main mistakes were:
- Thinking that buying coppers with goons was a good use of goons.
- Thinking that I needed to have some green in my deck to supplement the VP from goons (when it wasn't even the end of the game), and therefore needed the silver and gold to buy green.
Also, I thought topdecking goons with scheme would be a good way to play my goons more often.

PS: @Polk5440, you were looking at my opponents deck.  I didn't have any smithies.
I have a probably-unhealthy aversion to smithies since it seems like half the time you get a smithy as the only action in your hand and then draw your villages dead.  Getting one smithy would probably have been good for me.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 03:25:19 pm »

Thanks all.  It looks to me like my main mistakes were:
- Thinking that buying coppers with goons was a good use of goons.
- Thinking that I needed to have some green in my deck to supplement the VP from goons (when it wasn't even the end of the game), and therefore needed the silver and gold to buy green.
Also, I thought topdecking goons with scheme would be a good way to play my goons more often.

PS: @Polk5440, you were looking at my opponents deck.  I didn't have any smithies.
I have a probably-unhealthy aversion to smithies since it seems like half the time you get a smithy as the only action in your hand and then draw your villages dead.  Getting one smithy would probably have been good for me.

Oops! Sorry!

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 03:26:36 pm »

That's where scheme can help out, too. 2 Menageries probably wasn't enough draw. (Did I get the right person's deck this time?!)

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 05:42:16 pm »
+2

That's where scheme can help out, too. 2 Menageries probably wasn't enough draw. (Did I get the right person's deck this time?!)
outside the context of this game, smithy/village engines only works under certain conditions, mainly trashing.  If you can't trash down, then it takes a long time to get to the proper village density; sometimes, it's worth waiting.  (Fishing village is particularly nice for terminal draw because it helps when your your starting 5 includes no villages.)  You can also add some terminal draw to a non-terminal draw engine that already wants villages.

You can check out the first game engine article, whose advice is highly generalizable.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 06:26:34 pm »

A lesson I've learned the hard way is that engines almost always need +Buy to be viable.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 01:18:02 pm »

Well activating one Menagerie will be a piece of cake, basically every turn. Activating two will be easy as well once you've got Villages, Fortresses, Schemes, Goons, and whatever else. Because the Remodel has a target (Embargo) for Coppers that will eventually disappear from your deck, and plenty of awesome cantrip targets for estates, it should work as a light trasher on this board. Your deck won't be as consistent, and it will take a lot longer to acquire the pieces, if you only use Village/Smithy for draw.

As others have said, Remodel opening is a must. Everything you want is at $3/4, except for Goons which you can easily get by Remodeling a $4.

Rather than the Copper -> Embargo -> trash pathway, I would consider integrating a Mine to trash Copper -> Silver -> Gold with Remodel available to convert the intermediates to engine pieces. In the deck building phase, when your economy is no good, the Silvers are somewhat significant, and you can get rid of 2 duplicate Copper purely through Mine.

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 01:21:28 am »

When I was first starting to learn this game, example games were pretty helpful to me.  Here's my first try: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131216/log.50775a4a0cf28ed55d9d6fd3.1387258540419.txt. Obviously the bots play is really bad, but this shows how fast you can bring together a deck, and roughly what order to build things in. 

I ended up pretty close to SCSN's suggestions. In general your goal is to play Remodel as often as possible in the early game. This is accomplished by remodeling into cards that help you draw your deck, and clearing out Estates and Copper.  I think I want Scheme/Remodel and a second Remodel ASAP. 

The late game is all about trying to play as many Goons as possible. This involves accumulating a bunch of goons, the necessary villages to compliment them, and enough Smithy/Menagerie to draw your deck.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 09:41:12 am »
+1

Obviously the bots play is really bad...
Lol, T12, you hit it with Goons.  It's hand is gold, goons, 3x fortress.  Of course, it keeps the fortresses....  :'(
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.