Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Galaxy Trucker and Through The Ages apps  (Read 15709 times)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
Galaxy Trucker and Through The Ages apps
« on: December 10, 2013, 04:51:08 pm »
+1

I have posted about this before in a hijacked thread, but I found some news today:
Videos of a pretty advanced version of Galxaxy Trucker and TTA early in development in here: http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/25619/bgg-con-iii-galaxy-trucker-through-the-ages-infamy
Sadly, the release date of Galaxy Trucker has been delayed to next year. They sure aren't rushing things, which is probably not a bad thing.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Trucker and Through The Ages apps
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 05:03:17 pm »

I'm really looking forward to TTA...  It looks kinda funky now, but definitely playable.  I like how they made it so you can use either the board game style or this new style.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 05:33:18 pm »

I hope they make a mode for TTA permanently showing the cards or make the new graphics more recognizable.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 05:41:26 pm »

Yeah, that would be good too.  Mostly, I'm excited that such a great game is actually coming to android :P  And all platforms in general...  I've never played Galaxy Trucker, but I may have to get the app to try it out.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 08:40:35 am »

Yeah, that would be good too.  Mostly, I'm excited that such a great game is actually coming to android :P  And all platforms in general...  I've never played Galaxy Trucker, but I may have to get the app to try it out.

I'm not sure that the Galaxy Trucker app will have quite the same feel as playing it in person. This is both good and bad.

My perceived bad:

You need a large play area to lay out the pieces so you can see them all at once. On the phone, pieces will have to be organized in stacks or some other sorting mechanism. This could cost you time when hunting for pieces.
Simultaneous play IRL allows you to reveal tiles more quickly as you keep an eye on what your opponents are doing.

My perceived good:

If the game isn't timed, then sorting the tiles would be a great tool. I wouldn't doubt that there will be an option to turn off the timer. Someone who is used to the sorting mechanism would probably do quite well.
If there's an error-free setting, then the app could actually prevent you from placing a piece illegally. Conversely, it could only check for errors once the ships are built, which could be hilarious as pieces just fly off during launch.
There could be an ongoing counter that shows your current cannon strength, engine strength, cargo capacity, crew, etc. This would allow people to devote more thought to the building of the ship, though part of the fun is managing all that in your head.
All players would have the same access to tiles. IRL if someone is sitting farthest away from the tiles, he's at a disadvantage, especially if he wants to grab a tile that his farthest competitor has in front of him.

So, I'm sure the app will make some concessions to make the game more playable. And that will change how the game is played, but that's not such a bad thing. In fact, I'm thinking it'll be more good than bad. It may be preferable, much the same way that Isotropic and Goko remove the need to shuffle cards all the time.
A man has no signature

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 02:58:28 pm »
+1

Why do they have to keep postponing the release while the app seems to be getting more and more awesome...
I can't wait for it to finally come out.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/28710/app-news-galaxy-trucker-info-and-exclusive-pics-mo

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 03:21:42 pm »

Why do they have to keep postponing the release while the app seems to be getting more and more awesome...
I can't wait for it to finally come out.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/28710/app-news-galaxy-trucker-info-and-exclusive-pics-mo

Aw man, that is pretty awesome. I love how you can see the ships "flying" in a line with all their little components showing.

My wife has an iPhone but doesn't play a lot of games on it. I may just shell out money for both our phones just to line their pocket even more.

This deserves a "Shut up and take my money" meme, but an image search is just too easy. I'm typing it all out, because I mean it that much.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 03:31:59 pm »

I swear I need to learn how to program for Android so that maybe someday these games will come to my tablet... :(
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 03:35:57 pm »

I'm working on learning!  But it's coming slow...

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 03:39:08 pm »

I swear I need to learn how to program for Android so that maybe someday these games will come to my tablet... :(
They're developing multi-platform, so there's no need for that.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 03:41:22 pm »

They're developing multi-platform, so there's no need for that.

CGE might be, but it doesn't look like Playdek ever will.  So LoW, Stone Age, and a bunch of others are off limits for the foreseeable future...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 05:38:59 pm »

What are you using?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 05:42:17 pm »

Same. I got as far as buying a book on it....
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 09:30:18 pm »
+1

I wrote the sample "Hello World" app that Google has as a tutorial...

So I wrote an app where you can type in text, hit send, and it makes it 2-3 points bigger!  Now that's innovation.

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 06:43:06 am »

I just hope they don't nuke BGO when they release a TTA App, especially if it's only on iOS.

Losing another online game I like would be really irksome.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 08:00:10 am »

They won't.  Vlaada said somewhere that they intend to leave it going so people can play on whatever platform they want.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 08:24:31 am »

<3 Vlaada.

Hate Galaxy Trucker though.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 01:50:57 pm »

TTA App, especially if it's only on iOS.

Which it isn't... As has been mentioned on this page at least twice already.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2014, 10:43:17 am »

Release of the iOs version of Galaxy Trucker has been scheduled for September, with Windows and Android to follow.

So I probably won't get to play it this year :(

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/31442/app-news-galaxy-trucker-news-and-release-date-rele

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 08:00:11 am »

The iOs app for Galaxy Trucker has apparently been submitted to the App Store and the Android versions hould be ready soon.
No expansions though, sadly.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 12:20:44 pm »

Before Galaxy Trucker, had anyone ported a somewhat-real-time-yet-strategic board or card game to mobile? While writing that, I realized that of course there are non-strategic examples of real-time games being ported, like Set and Boggle. But Galaxy Trucker is in a rare category, being basically an RTS board game.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 12:07:40 pm »

iPad version of Galxy Trucker will be out on Monday, Android user like me will have to wait for the end of the year apparently.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 02:50:06 pm »

I just ordered the board game version of galaxy trucker.  It comes tuesday.  I hope it's as good as it looks

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 12:33:18 am »

I can't wait for it to hit Android. So excited!
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 04:11:02 pm »
+1

Having played the iPad Galaxy Trucker app for a bit now, I can say that it's pretty great, for single-player anyway. It's a much more ambitious app than most board game conversions, more like an expansion or sequel that just a conversion. There's a campaign mode, there are additional cards, and there's an option for turn-based ship-building.

I've only played the campaign and only with the real-time ship-building so far, but that's quite well done. It works well with the touch screen. The campaign is fun, having you fly between planets doing quests, more like a full-fledged adventure game than just a series of missions.

I can't say much about multiplayer yet because the "Quick Duel" option didn't find a game for me, and when I tried making a game, nobody joined it, possibly because I set it to real-time ship-building, when all the games people were playing were turn-based ship-building, which I haven't learned yet. Anyway, it wasn't super easy to find a multiplayer game, unfortunately.

There are some UI design and game design quibbles I can make, but the good parts outweigh them. For example, one thing I didn't like about the original game is simulating events that end up doing nothing, like a meteor shower where none of the meteors even threaten to hit a ship (much less cause any damage), or a small meteor shower when nobody has exposed connectors. At least in the physical game, you can skip simulating a small meteor shower if you know ahead of time it won't do anything, but here the whole thing is animated through. Somehow this bugs me less than I thought it would, though.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.