Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Non-mafia games awards - Nominations  (Read 1956 times)

Tables

• Board Moderator
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Non-mafia games awards - Nominations
« on: December 08, 2013, 04:44:36 pm »
+1

As with the mafia games awards, nominations are now open for non-mafia games. Props to Ashersky whose format (and often text) I'm liberally copying.

Here are the categories:

Game-based categories
Non-Mafia Game of the year
Best conversion into PBF format
Best game Flavour
Best in-game moment
Mod of the year

Player-based categories
Best play/action of the year
Best player performance in a single game
Most enjoyable gamer
Non-Mafia player of the year

???
Derp of the year

Please use the submission form at the bottom of this post to submit nominations.

Here is a quick run down of each award, to help you in nominating:

Non-Mafia game of the year: The game which you feel was the most entertaining game, for whatever reason.

Best conversion into PBF format: The game whose conversion from another format into a PBF (Play By Forum) game was the best. This includes any external resources (e.g. spreadsheets or images) made for the game.

Best game Flavour: Any flavour created for a game beyond that which is default to a game. This includes flavour created by a mod, and that provided by players.

Best in-game moment: A short instance or series of events which you would like to highlight. If possible, please include links to the relevant section of the game nominated

Mod of the year: This award is for the best mod of the year.  Nominations should take into account not just game creation, but also responsiveness, accuracy, availability to players, and creativity.

Best play/action of the year: The most clever, ingenious or otherwise noteworthy action(s) by a player in a game. Please include links if possible.

Best player performance in a single game: Any single player's performance in any game.

Most entertaining player: The gamer who makes games most enjoyable or entertaining for whatever reasons.

Non-Mafia player of the year: The overall most successful player in the Non-Mafia section across all games.

Derp of the year: ...Wait, did I really make that play? OOOPS... You may only nominate something YOU did for this award

Sending nominations:

Please use this form and send me a message to nominate for awards.

Non-Mafia Game of the year:
Best conversion into PBF format:
Best game Flavour:
Best in-game moment:
Mod of the year:
Player-based categories:
Best play/action of the year:
Best player performance in a single game:
Most enjoyable gamer:
Non-Mafia player of the year:
Derp of the year:

Just list names/games/links next to each category.  There is no limit to how many nominations you can submit per award, but please limit your PMs to me.  Only your latest PM will be counted, so if you want to change or update your nominations, send me a new, full PM.

I do NOT need justifications for any of these at this time.  Once I parse the nominations and decide on finalists, I may reach out to nominators for descriptions if I am not familiar with something.

Discussion in this thread should be restrained to discussion of eligibility for awards, criteria, and clarifications.

Do NOT post nominations or ideas for who should be nominated in this thread.  They will be deleted.

Nominations will close 15th December @ 23:59pm. Nominations after this point may not be considered.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:45:23 am by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Tables

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Non-mafia games awards - Nominations
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 04:49:44 pm »

One thing I'm not sure on just yet: Should people be able to nominate themselves for awards? I'm tempted to simply allow it, because we have a community which I think is mature enough to (for the most part) not nominate themselves for things unless they actually think it was worthwhile. Either way I would consider self-nominations less worthwhile than nominations from other, so a single self-nomination will probably not be enough to convince me of something.

Secondly, should I make myself ineligible? My gut instinct is to say yes: I am organising things anyway. I realise some people might like to nominate me for one or two things, but I also know there's a slight honesty issue which I'd rather avoid.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 05:06:34 pm »

Include yourself. Final voting is done by polls anyways, right? So it's not like you're revealing the winner. Plus you are one of if not the most active player so it would be a shame for you to not be included.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 01:30:32 pm »

Is this restricted strictly to Non-mafia PBF games or are games organised here and contested amongst forum members but actually played elsewere eligible too? I'm specifically talking about TTA and Terra Mystica since thay are what I have played, but I know other games also happen on Boite a Jeux, for example.

Tables

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 03:04:32 pm »

Is this restricted strictly to Non-mafia PBF games or are games organised here and contested amongst forum members but actually played elsewere eligible too? I'm specifically talking about TTA and Terra Mystica since thay are what I have played, but I know other games also happen on Boite a Jeux, for example.

Hmm... I would say that games organised and played with a thread in the Non-Mafia games count. So that means a decent number (all?) of the TM games played on JSnell's site would count, while most TtA games wouldn't. However we might want say that for the PBF conversion award, the conversion should have been made by a F.DS member?

As an aside... I've gotten no nominations yet. If you want some awards to be distributed, nominate some of your favourite games/people/events/etc.!

Tables

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 09:43:39 pm »

It's less than 24 hours left and I only have one set of nominations... If there aren't at least a reasonable number then the non-mafia awards will probably have to be cancelled due to lack of interest.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 07:24:14 pm »

Just to leave a comment. I have interest, just no time yet to look into it and give reasonable nominations.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 07:24:58 pm »

interested, but don't have ideas for who to nominate...

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 07:28:41 pm »

To be honest, I don't think there needs to be a Non Mafia Game Awards thread since every game is so different. But I won't be at all unhappy or upset if it happens.

Tables

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 08:44:56 am »

To be honest, I don't think there needs to be a Non Mafia Game Awards thread since every game is so different. But I won't be at all unhappy or upset if it happens.

That was always the concern. But many people expressed interest in it before.

Sadly, only one person submitted nominations, and only for around half the categories. Even though others are interested, I think the difficulty in picking things out was enough to put people off. So I think we'll have to cut our losses here.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.