Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cave Story  (Read 2297 times)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
Cave Story
« on: December 07, 2013, 12:49:56 am »

Just wondering if any of you have ever played the game Cave Story before. I haven't played it all the way through yet, but it's a pretty incredible retro-style platforming gem. Not only are the mechanics very nice, but the overall story is very impressive as well.

It's available for download free at http://www.cavestory.org/downloads_game.php

It was originally made in japanese, so if you speak english, you have to download a patch for translation (there may be patches for other languages as well, but I am unsure) . Anyway, if you take a look at it--I'd love to hear what you think of it. I thought it was awesome!

Edit: translation is also available for other languages
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:15:03 am by Ichimaru Gin »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Story
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 02:34:48 am »

I have been thinking of buying it on Wiiware at some point, but never got around to it. I guess I could play it on my laptop as well but I prefer a controller.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 11:17:27 am »

Yeah. I play it on my pc. But I think it would be nicer with a controller. The plus is that its free for pc though.
When I first started playing it, I wasn't too impressed, but this game grew on me really quickly.
So if you do end up getting it, it'd be cool to hear what you thought of it.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 01:26:49 pm »

I've beaten it.  It was definitely worthwhile.

I've played some of the wiiware version and all of the computer version.  Honestly it might actually be better suited for PC, especially if you make use of <spoiler item>.

Booster 2.0 changing directions very quickly

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 11:49:30 am »

Cave Story is awesome. I do recommend a controller, though. Of course, PC and controllers are not mutually exclusive. It's easy to find an inexpensive USB gamepad. I highly recommend doing that in general.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 10:56:11 am »
+1

Also, you can use PS3 or XBOX 360 controllers as gamepads for your computer.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 04:36:54 pm »

A very awesome game, but a word to first time players: if you can get the best ending the first time through without using a guide, then you're some sort of psychic. I found the game worth a replay or three, but either accept that you're not going to get the best ending or use a walkthrough.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 06:07:20 pm »

A very awesome game, but a word to first time players: if you can get the best ending the first time through without using a guide, then you're some sort of psychic. I found the game worth a replay or three, but either accept that you're not going to get the best ending or use a walkthrough.

I tried for the best ending, and got as far as the first evil red-themed cave where all weapons are dropped to level 1.
Then I gave up and started again.

I just wanted to save curly brace so much though!

I think this replay I'll accept the bad ending once--cause there was no way I was going to make it.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 06:31:12 pm »

The hard ending ending is easier (though still very hard) if you get the upgraded Polar Star and the Nemesis- the first one ignores the leveling system altogether and the latter has it reversed, so the "weapons drop to zero" thing isn't nearly so bad. Getting the Nemesis involves a time-consuming but fairly easy sidequest, but the spur requires both the booster 2.0 and that you wait until after the labyrinth to upgrade your starting gun, which makes the fights with both Monster X and the Core much more difficult.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 08:19:57 pm »

Yeah I did get the nemesis (after a little backtracking). But I traded the polar star for the machine gun (something I now know probably wasn't the best trade--as the other upgrades are generally more powerful). The third level boosting of the machine gun really helped me out in the early and middle stages though.

Trying to take on Monster X without it would have been super tough. As it was, I think I fought that battle 7 times or so before I defeated it.

Thanks for the tips though. I think I'll try for the bad/middling endings first. And then I'll probably be good enough to try for the really good ending.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.