Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Interaction: Rats with Watchtower/Develop  (Read 2028 times)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Interaction: Rats with Watchtower/Develop
« on: December 06, 2013, 05:12:17 pm »
+5

This was one of the more interesting games I've played in awhile.  Kingdom shown below.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131206/log.50ea2963e4b0429cfe091cec.1386365416670.txt

Code: [Select]
Haven, Develop, Watchtower, Rats, Count, Festival, Harvest, Merchant Guild, Royal Seal, Altar
So my first thought on this kingdom is engine.  Specifically a Festival draw up to 6 engine with Watchtower.  Merchant guild provides some cash and scales nicely with the +Buy.  Altar provides trashing and gaining of $5-cost cards however Altar is horrendously slow for trashing and there isn't a great way to get draw without first trashing down.

The alternative approach is to utilize Rats!  It has a few unique interactions here which make for an interesting game.  First is the Devlop/Rats combo.  This allows for the top-decking of a Festival/Watchtower which can be used for next turn or alternatively used to set up the following hand.  In addition to getting those on top, for trashing Rats you get an extra card in hand.

The other interesting interaction is with Watchtower.  I don't think I've ever encountered this on the forum before so I'll lay it out explicitly.  Rats becomes an entirely new card with Watchtower in hand.

Code: [Select]
Rat King

+2 Cards
+1 Action

Trash a card from your hand other than a Rats or reveal a hand of all Rats

By using Watchtower's reveal to trash the incoming Rats, you transform your lowly rat into a king that is a Laboratory that trashes.  It also prevents a serious issue of Rats completely infesting your deck. 

I decided to go this route and it worked out very well.  I start out getting Develop, Watchtower, Rats and a couple Havens from Devoping Shelters.  Then check out Turns 7 and 8.  I am able to pick up the last 2 Festivals only losing the split 6 to 4 and having a much more trim deck.

I am then able to finagle a 3-pile ending on turn 11.  All in all, a pretty cool game featuring a combo with 2 of the least loved cards in the game.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 05:53:51 pm by shark_bait »
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Interaction: Rats with Watchtower/Develop
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 06:07:47 pm »

I know that WT/Rats has been discussed here before, and I know I've played it, and yes, it's ridiculous.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:14:04 pm »

You just did two combos I've wanted to try out before, Develop/Rats and Watchtower/Rats...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 02:16:48 am »
+11

Also known as "lab rats".
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Eggplantation

• Baron
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 07:56:38 am »

Very cool indeed! It never clicked to me that the rats don't have to enter your deck to get the on trash bonus. That has pretty awesome interactions with fan cards that would 'trash a card from the supply'.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 08:29:07 am »

Very cool indeed! It never clicked to me that the rats don't have to enter your deck to get the on trash bonus. That has pretty awesome interactions with fan cards that would 'trash a card from the supply'.
Though, in this case, you are actually trashing the Rats from your deck.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 11:07:39 am »

Quote from: shark_bait
All in all, a pretty cool game featuring a combo with 2 of the least loved cards in the game
I don't know about the others, but Develop and rats are easily in my top 10 favorite cards.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 11:57:33 am »

Quote from: shark_bait
All in all, a pretty cool game featuring a combo with 2 of the least loved cards in the game
I don't know about the others, but Develop and rats are easily in my top 10 favorite cards.
Develop is probably in my top 10 favorites too, but the fact is that they both are quite weak.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.