Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dealing with the "No-Roll"  (Read 3074 times)

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
Dealing with the "No-Roll"
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:19:19 pm »
+3

We're all familiar with the "slow-roll:" when a player makes each action just in time to keep Goko from declaring him the loser by forfeit.  This evening I'm encountering the "no-roll" for the first time.  Apparently Goko has forgotten how/when to make a non-responsive player forfeit.

A player named "timmytucker" (I'm too irritated to be discreet) decided and announced that he was just going to stop playing right before he would have ended the game with a loss.  Here we are... same place we were 30 minutes ago:

Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with the "No-Roll"
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:27:29 pm »

We're all familiar with the "slow-roll:" when a player makes each action just in time to keep Goko from declaring him the loser by forfeit.  This evening I'm encountering the "no-roll" for the first time.  Apparently Goko has forgotten how/when to make a non-responsive player forfeit.

A player named "timmytucker" (I'm too irritated to be discreet) decided and announced that he was just going to stop playing right before he would have ended the game with a loss.  Here we are... same place we were 30 minutes ago:

Wow.

I actually have him on my ignore list already for generally being an ass to me... but yeah, Goko needs to do something about that.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 10:32:37 pm »
+1

Next time rick-roll him in the chat bar. Seriously, I have yet to make it to the chorus.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 10:36:31 pm »

Next time rick-roll him in the chat bar. Seriously, I have yet to make it to the chorus.

Sadly, what he said to me before he disappeared was "Ok, I'm gonna go run some errands now."  I think I'd just be singing to myself. :(
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 10:36:51 pm »

He could have left the computer though.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 01:38:29 am »

Why wouldn't he timeout and lose then? I think there's something about how it's set up that I still don't understand.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 02:34:33 am »

maybe goko doesnt check for timeouts when allready 3-piles are empty and the game is almost over

btw. I have made a similar experience with timmytucker he slow rolled me ... luckily just for 2 card plays and then he timed out. still im not gonna play him again

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 05:09:51 am »

Wow, a few days ago I thought about calling out timmytucker on these forums too. He threatened to slowplay against me on purpose because I have my extension set to disable the VP counter, and he didn't like that because "I could write that down with pen and paper and he couldn't know if I did that". I told him that I probably won't, because my brain just so happens to be good enough to add sixes, threes and ones. I had a pretty long talk with him then (while he played very slow in the beginning) where I told him, that I don't mind if he gets a pen and paper to write down the score because I can not check on that, and while I do not like that, I still like it more than him playing slow because he goes through the whole log to check on the score every couple of turns.
But yeah, he is a pretty annoying guy that gets pissed pretty quickly.
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

Mischief

• Swindler
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 05:14:48 am »

This interests me, because months ago, back in the "beta," I won two games (out of the two games that I tried this) by resigning after my opponent had three piled, but before he ended his turn.  Clicking the button, I was told in chat, had no effect.  My opponents just quit or timed out.  After that, I stopped resigning on three piles cause I don't cheat.  But I was always curious how consistent/extensive the bug was. 

I think that exploit's long been fixed, but seeing your out cities, moats, and minions, it's deja vu for me.  Wonder if there's a connection?  Odd though that your game never ended.  The timer worked just fine in my past experiences.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 05:18:46 am by Mischief »

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 05:22:38 am »

FYI, I eventually went afk for a few hours.  When I went back to the computer, I was myteriously back at Goko's login screen.  It seems I was awarded the win, though I don't know what actually happened in the interim.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 10:09:47 am »
+16

Well, we know he uses your software.

Just implement the auto-resign in the vp counter ;).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 11:01:14 am »
+7

Well, we know he uses your software.

Just implement the auto-resign in the vp counter ;).
If name != "Andrew Iannaccone" Then autoresign()
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.