Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: f.ds Custom Dixit! WATNO WINS!  (Read 17199 times)

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
f.ds Custom Dixit! WATNO WINS!
« on: December 05, 2013, 08:11:17 pm »

So, they other thread didn't really get much response (that, plus I realized I cannot get into a game on that French Site because I am in too many already) so I decided to do this, hopefully more people will bite.

F.DS DIXIT!

Rules:

PREGAME:

1. I will make a collection of pictures (cards) to be used in game. However, both players and spectators can also submit cards by PMing them to me (lets say max 10 each). Cards images should be portrait-oriented (higher than wide) and in spirit of Dixit: surreal-ish and without a real 'meaning'.

2*. Player will have the access to this library and are allowed to familiarize with cards, but I trust them not to abuse this power (like, check every single card for similarity every time). (I did not make the all the same size as I planned to, due to practical reasons).

3. I  reserve the right to reject some images if I think they don't really fit or are to similar to some others.

GAME:

1. Preferably we will have 6 players and 2-3 rounds. We can accommodate other number of players/rounds too, but in future riles I will assume that we are playing 6 players, 3 rounds, to keep it simple.

2. At the start of the game, players are dealt 6 cards. (regardless of number of players).

3. Each round consists of 6 turns, one for each player.

4. During his turn, player who's turn it is (called storyteller) PMs me a card that he has in hand, and posts a 'description' of the card in thread.

5. Description can be anything from one word (or even less) to a paragraph of text or a song even. it doesn't really need to be exactly 'a description', it can be anything that relates to the card in any way. You usually only want to describe the card vaguely but sufficiently.

5a.* No links to other sites, videos or pictures allowed, words only. Also, you should not use internet to "research" anything. I cannot force this, but I would prefer if you guys ignored the physical qualities of the image (size, resolution) and focused only on the image itself.

5b*. Please, keep all the discussion/explanation for after the votes are revealed and before next storyteller sends me the image.

6. Each other player than PM me the card from their hand that they think matches the posted description the best.

7. When everybody PMs me their cards, I post them all in thread. Than, each player (except the storyteller) PMs me which card do they think is the storyteller's card. (They can't choose their own card).

8. When I receive all the votes, we than proceed to scoring the turn. Scoring goes as following:
a) If nobody OR everybody choose storyteller's card, he scores 0p and everybody else scores 2p.
b) Otherwise, if at least 1 person chose storyteller's card and at least 1 person 'missed', storyteller scores 3p.
c)* In any case, all non-storyteller player score 1 point for each 'vote' on their card. (up to max of 3 points)
d) If you guess the storyteller's card correctly, you gain 3p.

9. Everybody draws a card, and the turn ends.

10. Round ends when all players have been the storyteller (have taken the turn). After 3 rounds, the game is over and the person with highest score wins. In case of a tie, I guess, they rejoice in their shared victory!

Anybody interested?

1. yuma
2. Teproc
3. scott_pilgrim
4. Ahoppy
5. Watno
6. Kuldeous

Game info:

6 players, 3 rounds.

Turn Order:
AHoppy
Watno
Kuldeous
scott_pilgrim
Teproc
yuma

Gallery:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/13phl42f97ex7f8/YtISZHTIqQ
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:32:52 am by Grujah »

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: f.ds Custom Dixit! (Signups open! Submissions open!)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 08:23:28 pm »

I'll play

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 08:39:47 pm »

/in!

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:02:04 pm »

/in

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 09:08:46 pm »

/in
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 09:14:02 pm »

/in
Can you post an example of pictures? I've never played dixit.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 05:28:02 pm »

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 05:39:19 pm »

:'(

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 06:11:17 pm »

I love, love, love Dixit. And it's the kind of game that can actually benefit from PbF (unlike, say, 7 wonders... you guys are just crazy for playing the asynchronously).

/in
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 06:13:13 pm »

Will we be allowed to use, say, Youtube videos in lieu of a word/sentence ? That would be interesting.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 06:21:31 pm »

Will we be allowed to use, say, Youtube videos in lieu of a word/sentence ? That would be interesting.

Hmm, dunno, would be interesting for sure, and technically you can write anything, including "/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0" (though I will disallow googling for phases), but I'm not sure. Slightly leaning towards no.
What do others think?

And, I'd like at least 5 players, wouldn't be too happy starting with 4. Others?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:22:38 pm by Grujah »

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 11:32:36 pm »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 02:55:14 pm »

/out

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 03:59:54 pm »

Sounds simple enough and pretty fun.  I've never played, but I'll /in

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 07:56:37 am »

We keep missing that 5th player.  :/

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 09:02:53 am »

/In. I think allowing videos and images as clues would be pretty cool.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 11:52:25 am »

I'll play.

I'm going to vote no on the video for two reasons:

* Part of the fun is seeing everything at once on the card. A video is actually several pictures grouped together. At 24 fps, there are a lot of pictures to take in (especially if someone submits the tunnel scene from Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory).
* I sometimes access this forum where I don't have accessibility (through various circumstances) to YouTube. so pictures are easier for me.

If there are videos, I may have to /out just because I'd slow the game down a lot having to wait until I get home to view them.
A man has no signature

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 12:29:12 pm »

Ok. I'll point out that this wasn't exactly what I was suggesting (I was saying we could use videos as hints, not as a replacement for the actual cards/images), but you'll have that problem regardless.

Excited to play !

Disclaimer : I suck at this game. But it's so fun !

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 12:38:32 pm »

I'm ruling out Youtube.

Only actual text. No using interwebs, you have to base your pick/vote only on the actual text alone.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 10:27:30 am »

Everybody ok with 3 rounds?

I am gathering/selection all pictures, am two thirds done, but other stuff needs my attention right now, so probably starting this sometime tomorrow.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 10:40:51 am »

3 rounds seems fine to me.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 07:13:40 am »

Everybody ok with 3 rounds?

Sure.

Nice thing about doing this online is that you don't have the problem of the storyteller seeing the cards for the first time and accidentally giving away which card is his.
A man has no signature

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
Re: f.ds Custom Dixit! (Pregame)
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 03:11:22 pm »

Ok, finally got around sorting through all the images, it wasn't as easy feat as I though. Wanted to make sure that there were not too many of similar images with similar themes (and some themes were very common), wanted to make em as interesting, put in as many user-submited as I could etc..

There are 150 images, we need 138 for 3 rounds and there is 12 extra just to make it harder to pin those last ones down.

Anyway, uploading these, tidying up the rules and we are good to go.

Edit: also too busy/lazy to find a size to resize them all to, esp as they are all different w:h ratios, so it is what it is for now.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:26:50 pm by Grujah »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.