Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Goko ranking  (Read 10059 times)

Toblakai

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Goko ranking
« on: December 04, 2013, 09:06:43 pm »

Recently started playing Dominion again after taking a break when Isotropic closed down.  I been trying to equate the old Number ranks to the new scores.  The top 333 players had a rank 30 and over on Isotropic and right now that translates to ~5200, the top 50 players had a rank 40 and over so on goko that is close to 6000 and over.  That seem about right?  Also is there anyway to search the Goko Leaderboard for a specific name?  I want to see if the person who registered as Toblakai on Goko is even playing  :(

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: Goko ranking
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 09:09:25 pm »
+2

Here is a leaderboard based on Trueskill, like iso:

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/leaderboard

There are other nifty things like logsearch, you can see the links at the top of the page.

also, since Toblakai appears on this leaderboard, they have played at least one Pro game in the last month.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:12:40 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 09:25:23 pm »

Recently started playing Dominion again after taking a break when Isotropic closed down.  I been trying to equate the old Number ranks to the new scores.  The top 333 players had a rank 30 and over on Isotropic and right now that translates to ~5200, the top 50 players had a rank 40 and over so on goko that is close to 6000 and over.  That seem about right?  Also is there anyway to search the Goko Leaderboard for a specific name?  I want to see if the person who registered as Toblakai on Goko is even playing  :(

Their rating system is different than the iso one and it's hard to figure things out.  I've gotten up to ~5500 before, but I'm not even level 30 on the isotropish leaderboard.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:56:43 pm »

I'm actually kind of proud that I'm pretty near the top of that leaderboard... if you sort by sigma, that is.

24th, but sadly behind LastFootnote... gonna have to put more effort into not trying, I suppose :-/.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 05:56:46 am »

Their rating system is different than the iso one and it's hard to figure things out.  I've gotten up to ~5500 before, but I'm not even level 30 on the isotropish leaderboard.
It's swingier, but that's probably the main difference. I can go from top 20 to below top 100 in a day and back in another day, but generally speaking, 6000 = 40 doesn't seem to be that far from the truth (I'm level 42 on the Isotropish leaderboard and most of the time in the 6100-6400 range on the Goko leaderboard).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 10:23:37 am »

I'm actually kind of proud that I'm pretty near the top of that leaderboard... if you sort by sigma, that is.

24th, but sadly behind LastFootnote... gonna have to put more effort into not trying, I suppose :-/.

Bwa ha, I hadn't even looked at that leaderboard! If it makes you feel better, I'm way lower now. My high rank was because I almost always play Casual or Unrated and I probably only had about a dozen Pro games, all of which I'd won. Yesterday I lost a couple. Que sera, sera.

Ratsia

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +113
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 02:25:36 pm »

I've gotten up to ~5500 before, but I'm not even level 30 on the isotropish leaderboard.
It's swingier, but that's probably the main difference.
There's some sort of a bias as well, though I don't quite know where it comes from.

I'm constantly around 28-30 on the isotropish leaderboard, yet around 4500-4800 in Goko, roughly never reaching 5000. Compare that with sudgy's figures and you see a clear difference. What makes this notable is that I have mostly played bots (since I can take breaks when playing against them), which hints that the Trueskill-based ranking treats someone constantly playing against average players (the bots are between level 10-15) more favorably than the Goko ranking does.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 07:01:14 pm »

I've gotten up to ~5500 before, but I'm not even level 30 on the isotropish leaderboard.
It's swingier, but that's probably the main difference.
There's some sort of a bias as well, though I don't quite know where it comes from.

I'm constantly around 28-30 on the isotropish leaderboard, yet around 4500-4800 in Goko, roughly never reaching 5000. Compare that with sudgy's figures and you see a clear difference. What makes this notable is that I have mostly played bots (since I can take breaks when playing against them), which hints that the Trueskill-based ranking treats someone constantly playing against average players (the bots are between level 10-15) more favorably than the Goko ranking does.

The Goko ratings severely penalize losing, and only mildly reward winning. To stay above level 5000 you have to either be really good, or really careful about who you play. I should be about level 28-29 (I got up to 30 on isotropic but I doubt I'll do it on isotropish, the amount of players available for a game around my level is too low)
I got up to 5500 just by consistently beating level ~4500's and getting lucky once with a 6000+. I went down to 4500 by losing to several 6000's in a row... it's confusing.
You can't even play the bots if you want to stay above 5000-- it doesn't really do anything if you win and you lose a lot if you lose..

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 07:26:11 pm »

The Goko ratings severely penalize losing, and only mildly reward winning. To stay above level 5000 you have to either be really good, or really careful about who you play.

This seems highly unlikely.  I'm a good but not "really good" player (30-ish on the Isotropish board) and I have no trouble staying above 5000.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 07:33:53 pm »

The Goko ratings severely penalize losing, and only mildly reward winning. To stay above level 5000 you have to either be really good, or really careful about who you play.

This seems highly unlikely.  I'm a good but not "really good" player (30-ish on the Isotropish board) and I have no trouble staying above 5000.

You forget that just being level 30 means you're in the top 250 players on the site. Being in at least the top quartile of active players counts as "really good" for me...
Also, are you selective as to who you play against?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 07:41:05 pm »

You forget that just being level 30 means you're in the top 250 players on the site. Being in at least the top quartile of active players counts as "really good" for me...

Ah, I gotcha... different versions of "really good."  I don't think most people would equate 75th percentile with "really good."  90th %ile, maybe, but I have a way to go before I can really claim that territory.

I usually select for within 1000 of my current rating.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 07:55:08 pm »

Just so you know, I play anybody.  That most of the time is 4000+.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 09:28:02 am »
+1

there was at least one occasion where i played someone whose goko rank was exactly the same as mine.  I lost, and i noticed that s/he had gained the same number of points that I lost.

My experience is that the cost/benefit for win/loss does the sensible thing of tipping the scales based on the relative rank of your opponent - i.e. costs more to lose to lower ranked player and benefits you less to win, with the reverse effect when playing against a higher ranked opponent.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 12:44:22 pm »
+2

Ah, I gotcha... different versions of "really good."  I don't think most people would equate 75th percentile with "really good."  90th %ile, maybe, but I have a way to go before I can really claim that territory.

That's not top quartile of the general Dominion community though--that's top quartile of a very strong Dominion community.

Top quartile of intelligence at a university is a lot different than top quartile of the general population.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 12:48:14 pm »
+7

f.ds: Dominion University since June 2011.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 12:48:20 pm »

That's not top quartile of the general Dominion community though--that's top quartile of a very strong Dominion community.

Top quartile of intelligence at a university is a lot different than top quartile of the general population.

Sure, but the (strong) online community is all that matters for the purposes of this conversation.  If we assume the entire player base of Dominion, chances are that the majority of online players are in the top quartile.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 12:48:52 pm »
+1

Mascot:  the Scouts.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 06:07:25 pm »

I thought Ozle was our mascot?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 06:16:22 pm »

What?! MASCOT!!!
I thought i was in charge?

Am i not in charge anymore?
 When did that happen?! Who voted for that!
I demand a recount!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 06:17:41 pm »
+2

What?! MASCOT!!!
I thought i was in charge?

Am i not in charge anymore?
 When did that happen?! Who voted for that!
I demand a recount!

Vote: Ozle

That's right.  I just did two things at once with that vote.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 09:27:15 pm »

I think uncertainty has something to do with the point increases/drops as well. I think I get more points playing a guest at 1000 casual/1000 pro rating than I do against someone with 2000ish pro points. And you can get a bunch of points from "super guests" that somehow have a 4000+ pro rating or something. Maybe that relates to what was revealed in this thread: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9763.0

I've been at level 39 on the isotropish leader boards for awhile now. My Goko rank fluctuates a lot more than that though, as I tend to play against everybody. From what I've heard and seen, you really want to have a 1000 to 2000+- rank requirement to maintain Goko ranks over 6000.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 09:50:36 am »

I think uncertainty has something to do with the point increases/drops as well. I think I get more points playing a guest at 1000 casual/1000 pro rating than I do against someone with 2000ish pro points. And you can get a bunch of points from "super guests" that somehow have a 4000+ pro rating or something. Maybe that relates to what was revealed in this thread: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9763.0

I've been at level 39 on the isotropish leader boards for awhile now. My Goko rank fluctuates a lot more than that though, as I tend to play against everybody. From what I've heard and seen, you really want to have a 1000 to 2000+- rank requirement to maintain Goko ranks over 6000.
if that's true, it makes no sense.  beating someone about whom we know little informs me less, not more, about my future performance, so the effect on my score should be small.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 11:58:04 pm »

if that's true, it makes no sense.  beating someone about whom we know little informs me less, not more, about my future performance, so the effect on my score should be small.
In my mind, guests get the benefit of the doubt. They could have played many games as guests in the past. It would be weird if Goko's score formula if affected if the player is a guest.

But see, we are less certain that the guest is a low-skill player, because they haven't played any games at all. it makes perfect sense! Or not, I dunno. It looks too...complicated...

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 01:33:27 am »

Here is a leaderboard based on Trueskill, like iso:

There are other nifty things like logsearch, you can see the links at the top of the page.

I just looked at this leaderboard for the first time, but I'm confused because I've played in the last month and definitely have more than 20 games, but I'm not on there at all.  Does it only count pro games?  I might not have 20 pro games yet.

EDIT: I've gotten my answer to this question from another thread (even just the name of the thread).  I might help to look before I ask...

Just as well, if I was on there, I'd be very near the bottom anyway.  I just kinda hoped maybe that leaderboard would rate me higher than Goko does...
I love this game, but I suck compared to most of the people on Goko.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 01:50:22 am by LibraryAdventurer »

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 02:36:52 am »

Note that on that page there is a link to the full leaderboard. Which ranks you indeed very low. But that is for a large part due to the fact you only played 7 pro games.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.