Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Custom Fan Set Box  (Read 4864 times)

Showdown35

• Golem
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
Custom Fan Set Box
« on: December 03, 2013, 06:30:26 pm »
+16

Ok, here it is.  I spent the last couple weeks (I don't get too much time for hobbies between work and raising two children), creating this. This one is for my fan set titled "Corruption."  My template is easily customizable; the name, art, color, placement of art on the back, the text, even the upc and small pieces warning are all editable.  So if anyone wants a customized box, let me know and I'll do my best to have it for you in a timely manner.  Just pm me and I'll let you know what I need from you.

I haven't done the box sides yet, but that is a really easy part, just need to get the measurements and scaling right.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the front and back of my fan set box, keep in mind I lowered the resolution by about a quarter so the file wouldn't be so big, and so it would display (hopefully) on one screen without need for scrolling.  When printing it, I would keep the resolution higher.

Comments are welcome!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:31:47 pm by Showdown35 »
Check out my Dominion Fan Card Template for Photoshop  here

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Fan Set Box
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 07:04:31 pm »

Wow, this is awesome! Really like the flavor text! ;D

Eggplantation

• Baron
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 01:35:13 am »

Great stuff! Looks really professional and cool! It got me excited for all the cards! :P Have they been finished or mocked up yet?

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 01:54:53 am »
+1

Great stuff! Looks really professional and cool! It got me excited for all the cards! :P Have they been finished or mocked up yet?

Still working on it.  I've posted quite a few for community tweak/critique.  Any of my topics with "Flavor" in the title are my creations for this set... Pretty much all have changed based on comments from the community, but the original idea of most cards is still there.  It'll still be quite a while before the whole set is ready for playtesting, let alone being ready to use.  I just really like graphic editing, so I wanted to get the box done so I could share it, and maybe do up a few custom boxes for others... so far, no takers.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 02:38:26 am by Showdown35 »

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 10:37:07 pm »
+2

Finished the box side, here's what it looks like:

Again, lowered resolution to save space.

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 06:53:04 am »

These look amazing!

Would you mind sharing some info on your workflow? Everything looks perfect -- the Dominion logo, the expansion name, the RGG logo, the background texture... How did you do it?

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 09:49:54 am »

Truly great work. You should probably put yourself in Development, Art Direction & Graphic, and Cover Art.

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 11:33:40 am »
+1

These look amazing!

Would you mind sharing some info on your workflow? Everything looks perfect -- the Dominion logo, the expansion name, the RGG logo, the background texture... How did you do it?

Sure! I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to hobbies (but not really in anything else!), and I've loved Photoshop since learning how to use it in High School.

For the Front:
- I started with a high quality scan of the Intrigue box I found online. Used photoshop to erase the art from it (this is what takes the longest, especially erasing around the "Donald X. Vaccarino" text! I know I could use the magic wand tool, but like I said, I'm a perfectionist and I'd rather do it myself).  I used a transparent .png of the Rio Grande Logo so I wouldn't have erase all around the sun rays! Just scaled it to the right size and plopped in on top, then copied the other side of the box to cover the original RGG logo.
- Next I clone stamped out the intrigue text, and tried to match the font as best I could (it's still not perfect though, I have to create my own font if I want it to be exact, but I was able let this detail go... for now).  Put a stoney texture and a drop shadow on the text to make it look similar to the official text.
- Then added in a shadow to both sides of the border (by making a black filled copy, moving it and blurring it).
- Last, but not least, added an overlay layer covering the grey border so I can make it whatever color I want.

For the Back:
- With so much editable content on the back, I actually started from scratch for it.  I found a nice cloud texture online and used that as the background (you'll notice it's not the exact same texture as the official box, but it's pretty close). Then added the same kind of overlay layer to colour it.
- I used a low quality scan of the Prosperity box back (there are not many high quality scans of box backs online, if any) just to get the right placement of logos and text.
- Then I scaled down the logo, nameplate/text, and RGG logo from the box front, and placed them appropriately.
- Lined up the text layer (Times New Roman), added a partially transparent outer glow to match the official boxes.
- The UPC, play time/ages/# of players indicator, "C" and "E", and small pieces warning are all from a scan I did of my own Intrigue box.
- Added in some art under the background layer, and made "windows" by selecting rectangles, then modifying the selection with photoshop's "feathering" feature, then erasing the selection on the background and overlay layers.  Every dominion box is quite different when it comes to these "art windows", depending on whether the expansion has mats and/or tokens.  Even within one expansion box, the "windows" are not all the same dimensions, and have pretty inconsistent placement.  The placement I used for my box was based on the Prosperity back.
- All that was left was writing some flavor text for the expansion, and as most of you know, I love flavor!  It was hard trimming it down though, the first blurb I wrote was double the length! I had no room for describing the expansion's theme, so I had to cut it down.

For the Side:
- Pretty simple, just used the background, colour overlay, logo, and play time indicator from the back, scaled appropriately, and made one "art window".

So now I have a fully editable template, I can easily change the art all over the box, the expansion name (I just scale the nameplate to fit the name if it's a long one), the colour of the box and text, and the text itself.  I can even delete any of the logos on the box if so desired.  I added in the "Ritual Mats" to my box back, but I can delete those, and pretty much add in anything anyone may want, or just use the space for more art.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, and again, if anyone would like a custom box for their fan set (I can even convert it to a smaller expansion quite easily) just let me know!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 11:35:23 am by Showdown35 »

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 11:40:53 am »

Truly great work. You should probably put yourself in Development, Art Direction & Graphic, and Cover Art.

I didn't do the cover art!  It's actually the work of Andreas Rocha, a concept artist I found online (I emailed him to ask permission to use his art, but have yet to hear back).  And since the design of the box is not really mine (I just made it editable) I wouldn't feel comfortable taking credit for it! I could maybe add in another line, like "Fan Conversion Design" or something and put my name in there.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 11:42:51 am by Showdown35 »

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 05:12:42 pm »

I'd be more uneasy about making something like this available with the original Author/Developer etc. information that about putting your own name on it.  No-one's going to mind you making something like this for your own enjoyment, but if it gets out into the wild I could imagine people who weren't involved being mildly put out that it has their name on it.

That aside, you've done a really great job.

Eggplantation

• Baron
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 11:51:36 pm »

Still working on it.  I've posted quite a few for community tweak/critique.  Any of my topics with "Flavor" in the title are my creations for this set... Pretty much all have changed based on comments from the community, but the original idea of most cards is still there.  It'll still be quite a while before the whole set is ready for playtesting, let alone being ready to use.  I just really like graphic editing, so I wanted to get the box done so I could share it, and maybe do up a few custom boxes for others... so far, no takers.

Ah yep cool, I have indeed read many of them, and have liked heaps of the ideas you have suggested. I personally like high risk high reward cards, they are probably my favourite type (procession!). I should actually post in those threads, heaps of the time I just look and don't bother posting. So the art you have found, shown in the art windows, are they going to be used for the actual cards? Such good art and flavour!
Sound good about posting this first, really good stuff. It make people excited for the finished product!

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 12:30:29 am »

Ah yep cool, I have indeed read many of them, and have liked heaps of the ideas you have suggested. I personally like high risk high reward cards, they are probably my favourite type (procession!). I should actually post in those threads, heaps of the time I just look and don't bother posting. So the art you have found, shown in the art windows, are they going to be used for the actual cards? Such good art and flavour!
Sound good about posting this first, really good stuff. It make people excited for the finished product!

Since the art is not mine, and most of it is copyrighted by either the artist, or company that comissioned the artist, I can't encourage anyone to print or use the cards as I post them. I may print them for my own personal use, but I won't post them as a printable sheet for others to use.  I can't stop anyone from printing them on their own, but that's something that they could've done on their own since all the images I use can be found free to view and download online.

All the art on the box are images I have gathered that I felt fit my theme, most have already made it on to my personal fan cards (digital, I haven't printed anything yet), the rest will most likely end up on others.

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 12:35:41 am »

I'd be more uneasy about making something like this available with the original Author/Developer etc. information that about putting your own name on it.  No-one's going to mind you making something like this for your own enjoyment, but if it gets out into the wild I could imagine people who weren't involved being mildly put out that it has their name on it.

That aside, you've done a really great job.

That is a good point. It's kind of a double-edged sword. I don't want to put my name on it because I don't want to come accross as claiming any ownership or copyright to the images, and I also feel obligated to leave the original authors and developers on there because I feel I need to give credit.

I believe the author and developer names are in regards to the game itself, so I don't think that's really the issue. Its the art and graphic design and the cover art I have to worry about.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.