Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Set Printable Card Sheets  (Read 9000 times)

Showdown35

• Golem
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
Fan Set Printable Card Sheets
« on: December 02, 2013, 10:16:32 pm »
+7

Greetings all,

First off, I don't want to step on anyone's toes, so please let me know if I'm out of line here. I'm fairly new to the forums and wasn't around for the first contest, but I've noticed that many of the cards are still missing images.  Some of you have seen my posts with my created cards that I formatted with my template. I very much enjoy formatting fan cards and finding the perfect art to match the flavor of the cards.

I would be more than willing to format all the winning cards from the current contest (after the community tweaks them to a solid final version), and post them as image files and printable sheets so it will be easier for everyone to playtest them.  I just want some feedback to see if this is something the community would appreciate me doing.

I am also willing to format all the cards from the first contest, making and/or remaking them all with the same template to maintain consistency. Again, don't want to step on toes, just want to give back to the community while doing something I enjoy.

One more issue. The art I find and use usually doesn't have any kind of permission, but it is my understanding that as long as nobody is selling the cards, or otherwise making money from them, its all fair game.

Please let me know if this is a project I should undertake. I even have a Dominion Expansion Box Template that I am almost finished creating, so if you want to make an official looking box for the fan set, you can!
Check out my Dominion Fan Card Template for Photoshop  here

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Set Printable Card Sheets
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 06:49:00 am »
+1

I'm curious about the Expansion Box Template.

Corbie

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 08:10:38 am »
+2

I would love that! I've been meaning to go through and pick out the contests' winners and ask a friend to do it, but I don't have the friends with the know-how to get it done ha.

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 11:52:16 am »
+1

Well, even if only one person gets value out of it, I'll do it!

Was a name for the first contest set decided on? I'll gladly make a box design for it and even write a funny blurb for the back of the box (which I also have a template for!)... If you want to contibute to the box blurb, pm me with your ideas (even if its just a funny line you think would be good).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 04:45:32 pm »
+1

My personal preference is that permission be sought for any images used, or else use images in the public domain.  It does make it more difficult to find suitable art though, which is the biggest hold up in creating images for the cards.

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 04:52:15 pm »
+1

My personal preference is that permission be sought for any images used, or else use images in the public domain.  It does make it more difficult to find suitable art though, which is the biggest hold up in creating images for the cards.

The way I see it, if an artist is putting their art up online free to view, (without throwing a big "preview" or something accross it, rendering it unusable) then there's no harm in using it on a fan card. Obviously with no intention of selling the cards or images.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 05:05:33 pm »
+1

The way I see it, if an artist is putting their art up online free to view, (without throwing a big "preview" or something accross it, rendering it unusable) then there's no harm in using it on a fan card. Obviously with no intention of selling the cards or images.

I feel like this is not a good attitude to have as it is almost punishing artists for wanting to display their work and NOT messing it up with a giant watermark.  Artists put a lot of effort into their work and they deserve acknowledgement and respect.

I am not well versed in copyright and such, but I'm not sure that putting images on fan cards (even with no intention of profitting from them) constitutes fair use.  Even if it is, it would be nice to show some common courtesy by asking artists for permission first.  I did this for the art that was used on Aqua Vitae.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 05:35:59 pm »
+2

Here's my 2˘ on this.

I've been meaning for months to create images for these cards. Mocking up a card is fast. Like, 10 minutes to get a nice card. It's finding art that takes forever. As we've been talking about. So.

I personally am willing to use whatever art on fan cards. I know that there are some (like eHalcyon) that strongly prefer to only use free-use art. That is admirable and I respect him for it. I'm not personally willing to do it. I tried with Tithe. Bleh.

I messaged eHalcyon a while ago requesting that he find some art for these cards. My logic was that he's the person I know that cares most about the art not being in the public domain, so he must have some experience finding such art, etc. He messaged me back, but I then didn't get back to him for months. Because I'm a jerk like that.

Ideally I would like to say, "Yes, only free use art will do!" But that would make me a huge hypocrite, because I just use the best looking art I can find for my own cards and I'm probably not going to change them anytime soon. So if you can find good free use art, great. If not, so it goes. I'm not going to mandate it.

Aaaaaanyhow, Showdown. If you want to mock up these cards and make them into printable sheets, I say go for it. I was going to do it myself, but if I'm realistic, it would be better to delegate. I'll create a thread for cataloging the winning cards and if you send me images/sheets, I will add them to that thread. If people want to link/post art suggestions in that same, thread, great!

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 05:40:22 pm »
+8

You can use my art for free, I is super good at picture making!

See:

The one on left is Theory, the second one with the girlie hair is Eevee, thats me in the middle and... I dunno, lets say Jorbles and -Stef- on the end shall we

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 05:43:19 pm »
+1

If you look on sites like Deviant Art, it's still easy enough to send an email to the artist to ask for permission.  Most would be happy to give it.

And at the very, very least, attribution should be given.

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 06:20:40 pm »

If you look on sites like Deviant Art, it's still easy enough to send an email to the artist to ask for permission.  Most would be happy to give it.

I definitely always put credit on the bottom of my fan cards, any that I have posted you will see the "Illustrator:" listed at the bottom left.  I will go ahead with mocking up these cards, and I will do my best to get permission to use the art (I'll denote cards without permission with an asterisks* on the Illustrator line).

For now, I have finally finished my Fan Set box, and I'd like to share it.  I've posted it here:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9907.msg321139#msg321139
Everyone can discuss a name and box colour for the contest set and if desired, I'll create the box for it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:37:08 pm by Showdown35 »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 06:58:52 pm »
+1

I definitely always put credit on the bottom of my fan cards, any that I have posted you will see the "Illustrator:" listed at the bottom left.  I will go ahead with mocking up these cards, and I will do my best to get permission to use the art (I'll denote cards without permission with an asterisks* on the Illustrator line).

For now, I have finally finished my Fan Set box, and I'd like to share it.  I've posted it here:
Everyone can discuss a name and box colour for the contest set and if desired, I'll create the box for it.

That's cool.  One last thing I want to say is that it can be worth it to take a spin through public domain stuff.  Maybe nothing will fit, but some of those old paintings work out well. :)

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 07:07:56 pm »
+1

That's cool.  One last thing I want to say is that it can be worth it to take a spin through public domain stuff.  Maybe nothing will fit, but some of those old paintings work out well. :)

Will do! [Thumbs up emoticon]

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 07:09:33 pm »

Yeah. I'd say use public domain if you can, but if nothing fits, it would probably be alright to use other pictures. If you can contact the artist (like eHalc did with Aqua Vitae), then you should probably do that. Otherwise, I think you'd be alright giving credit to the artist in the card's (last) footnote.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 04:26:13 pm »

Also, I think there was some art suggested in the thread with the winners, but the cards were never completed. You could start there, too.

Auto-Destruct Sequence

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 05:18:08 pm »
+3

I just completed all the cards for the the first fan expansion except for amulet which is 90% done but incomplete due to myself lacking a good large coin $3.  I'll gladly update if anyone else has a good large coin $3 template.

lympi

• Salvager
  • You'll never catch me, Copper
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 06:44:04 pm »

Just bumping this ol' thread… if anyone has any cards completed (sounds like Auto-Destruct Sequence has a ton), post 'em here (or send them my way?). I'd love to pick up where this left off and finish the job.

(I made a Treasure Chest-like set back in the day, so this is a topic near and dear to my heart.)

p.s. Showdown35: that box art is amazing.
Then God said, Let there be a Village, and another Village, and another Village, and a Village, and I've got a silver and a copper. I'll buy a Village. -Ousgg on BGG

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 12:22:46 am »

p.s. Showdown35: that box art is amazing.

Thanks dude! I worked very hard on it. I'm still up for making custom box designs for anyone interested!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.