Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Maximum points per turn, repeatable/reliable, every turn?  (Read 3639 times)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
Maximum points per turn, repeatable/reliable, every turn?
« on: November 29, 2013, 02:19:15 pm »

So, a question.

What is the maximum points you can get per turn, reliably and repeatably, every turn, for the rest of the game?

Edit: Single player only.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 02:20:50 pm by Grujah »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Re: Maximum points per turn, repeatable/reliable, every turn?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 02:22:52 pm »

So, a question.

What is the maximum points you can get per turn, reliably and repeatably, every turn, for the rest of the game?

Edit: Single player only.

Single player lets you do some weird things with Ambassador and Goons -- is this by intent?

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 02:30:11 pm »
+2

Unlimited. Deck: Village, Monument, Possession

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 02:31:08 pm »
+2

This is just me thinking really fast, but if you had a deck of 7 Goons, a Trader, two Tactitians (one of which is always in play) 10 workers villages, 9 market squares, 9 markets, 9 cities, 9 grand markets, and the silver pile is gone, you can play all these cards except trader every turn, have 54 buys, and buy coppers, but reveal trader, and get seven victory points for each buy, so 7 * 54 = 378 points each turn.

PPE: In single player, at some point you buy chapel and hermit, trash everything you don't need, use the hermit to trash the chapel, turn the hermit into a madman and play it.

PPE (again): those are still different turns.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 02:49:16 pm »

This is just me thinking really fast, but if you had a deck of 7 Goons, a Trader, two Tactitians (one of which is always in play) 10 workers villages, 9 market squares, 9 markets, 9 cities, 9 grand markets, and the silver pile is gone, you can play all these cards except trader every turn, have 54 buys, and buy coppers, but reveal trader, and get seven victory points for each buy, so 7 * 54 = 378 points each turn.

PPE: In single player, at some point you buy chapel and hermit, trash everything you don't need, use the hermit to trash the chapel, turn the hermit into a madman and play it.

It's tough to reveal Trader when you had to discard it to play Tactician.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 02:52:36 pm »

It's tough to reveal Trader when you had to discard it to play Tactician.

Ergh!
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 03:02:03 pm »
+2

Won't this be the same answer to the most points you can get in one turn, since that will be the last turn of the game?

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 03:02:41 pm »
+2

As for repeatability and reliability, Scheme and Scrying Pool are enough in a deck with only Actions. With 9 King's Courts I can King 17 Action cards, 9 of which should be Squires (for +2 Buys), 8 more should be Band of Misfits as Squire (for +2 Buys). I have one more Band of Misfits, and a Sir Martin, each of which is worth 2 buys, but I can play them with Throne Room and Procession. Then I play as many more +buy cards as I can fit in the rest of the kingdom (and Black Market), then 10 Goons, and then I buy as many Coppers as I have buys, revealing Trader to gain Silver instead (and the Silver pile is empty).

I only need one of each of Scheme, Scrying Pool, and Trader, so those can come from the Black Market deck (which also contains Young Witch, with Squire as the bane). The ten other kingdom cards can be KC, Goons, Band of Misfits, City (level 2), Market Square, Market, Worker's Village, Hamlet, Festival, and Black Market, each of which gives a buy (including Black Market!).

Candlestick Maker, Pawn, Grand Market, Forager (trashing Fortress) are more +buy, and with enough villages in the kingdom (never mind the Black Market), I can still play one each of Woodcutter, Council Room, Bridge, Salvager and Trade Route (trashing Fortress), Wharf, Herbalist, Horse Traders, Princess, Nomad Camp, Margrave, Storeroom, and Merchant Guild. Rogue can get the Processioned Sir Martin back. There can also be 9 Ruined Markets (possible because the Ruins are dealt randomly from all 50 shuffled).

One more trick: because of the Black Market buys, I can play Counterfeit-Contraband, buy Mandarin from the Black Market (revealing Trader, of course, to leave the Mandarin there), placing Counterfeit on my deck. Then I play Graverobber to get Contraband back, Courtyard draws both and puts Contraband back on my deck. The next 8 Black Market buys, I can play Counterfeit again each time, topdecking it by buying Mandarin, then drawing it with one of the kingdom cantrips. Finally I play Counterfeit again in my real buy phase, using the Herbalist to topdeck it at the end. The top two cards of my deck are now Counterfeit and Contraband, so I will draw them during the cleanup phase, and they won't interfere with my Scrying Pool. This gets me two Contraband plays and 10 Counterfeit plays, for 12 more buys.

In total we have 1 Buy to start with, 17*2*3 = 102 from the Kinged Squires/BoMs, 8 from Throned/Processioned BoM/Sir Martin, 10 from Goons, 7*9 = 63 from other kingdom +buy cards, 17 from +buy cards in the Black Market, and 9 from Ruined Markets. 1 + 102 + 8 + 10 + 63 + 17 + 9 + 12 = 222 Buys, each of which is worth 10 points due to Goons, making 2220VP. We can also play one Monument and one Bishop (trashing Fortress) for a further 4VP. Therefore we can reliably, repeatably and indefinitely make 2224VP per turn.

edit: can't Graverob Silver and then Ambassador it back to the supply after my buy phase, so I do have to leave one KC in the supply.
Forgot to actually put Black Market in the kingdom!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 03:42:56 pm by Warfreak2 »
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 02:04:50 am »

No, technically they aren't. But, I guess, that's not what the OP had in mind.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 08:17:08 am »

I think it's be default in these challenges that Possession turns count as seperate turns. Also other soruces of extra turns, namely outpost.

@Drab - yeah, Goons/Amb is a interaction that came to my mind first.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 08:31:55 am »

My solution isn't quite optimal, as the throne room can be used to KC one more BoM, getting two more buys compared to throning it, making 2244VP per turn.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 11:13:39 am »
+1

No, technically they aren't. But, I guess, that's not what the OP had in mind.

Technically, they are.

The player to your left takes an extra turn after this one, in which you can see all cards he can and make all decisions for him. Any cards he would gain on that turn, you gain instead; any cards of his that are trashed are set aside and returned to his discard pile at end of turn.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 02:18:53 am »
+1

As for repeatability and reliability, Scheme and Scrying Pool are enough in a deck with only Actions. With 9 King's Courts I can King 17 Action cards, 9 of which should be Squires (for +2 Buys), 8 more should be Band of Misfits as Squire (for +2 Buys). I have one more Band of Misfits, and a Sir Martin, each of which is worth 2 buys, but I can play them with Throne Room and Procession. Then I play as many more +buy cards as I can fit in the rest of the kingdom (and Black Market), then 10 Goons, and then I buy as many Coppers as I have buys, revealing Trader to gain Silver instead (and the Silver pile is empty).

I only need one of each of Scheme, Scrying Pool, and Trader, so those can come from the Black Market deck (which also contains Young Witch, with Squire as the bane). The ten other kingdom cards can be KC, Goons, Band of Misfits, City (level 2), Market Square, Market, Worker's Village, Hamlet, Festival, and Black Market, each of which gives a buy (including Black Market!).

Candlestick Maker, Pawn, Grand Market, Forager (trashing Fortress) are more +buy, and with enough villages in the kingdom (never mind the Black Market), I can still play one each of Woodcutter, Council Room, Bridge, Salvager and Trade Route (trashing Fortress), Wharf, Herbalist, Horse Traders, Princess, Nomad Camp, Margrave, Storeroom, and Merchant Guild. Rogue can get the Processioned Sir Martin back. There can also be 9 Ruined Markets (possible because the Ruins are dealt randomly from all 50 shuffled).

One more trick: because of the Black Market buys, I can play Counterfeit-Contraband, buy Mandarin from the Black Market (revealing Trader, of course, to leave the Mandarin there), placing Counterfeit on my deck. Then I play Graverobber to get Contraband back, Courtyard draws both and puts Contraband back on my deck. The next 8 Black Market buys, I can play Counterfeit again each time, topdecking it by buying Mandarin, then drawing it with one of the kingdom cantrips. Finally I play Counterfeit again in my real buy phase, using the Herbalist to topdeck it at the end. The top two cards of my deck are now Counterfeit and Contraband, so I will draw them during the cleanup phase, and they won't interfere with my Scrying Pool. This gets me two Contraband plays and 10 Counterfeit plays, for 12 more buys.

In total we have 1 Buy to start with, 17*2*3 = 102 from the Kinged Squires/BoMs, 8 from Throned/Processioned BoM/Sir Martin, 10 from Goons, 7*9 = 63 from other kingdom +buy cards, 17 from +buy cards in the Black Market, and 9 from Ruined Markets. 1 + 102 + 8 + 10 + 63 + 17 + 9 + 12 = 222 Buys, each of which is worth 10 points due to Goons, making 2220VP. We can also play one Monument and one Bishop (trashing Fortress) for a further 4VP. Therefore we can reliably, repeatably and indefinitely make 2224VP per turn.

edit: can't Graverob Silver and then Ambassador it back to the supply after my buy phase, so I do have to leave one KC in the supply.
Forgot to actually put Black Market in the kingdom!

I think you can do better. First, you certainly can snag a 10th Kc. With Highway, Princess, and Bridge in play you have a total of 5 cost reduction, just about anything can get you Kc 10. I'd likely actually just play Hwy, the Altar on Fortress. Then if you start the Kc chain with Prssn you can get 20 triple plays and trash a Kc. Cost reduction let's Rogue or Graverobber fish it out of the trash. Ambassador lets you return it to the supply. I believe this will almost always be an optimal course of action for play.

Better still, I think we can do better by making Rogue, Graverobber, Tr, and Prssn kingdom cards. Begin by playing all the villages you have gotten from the Bm previously. Play 4 Tr. Play Prssn -> (Kc ->  [Sqr] x 2)x 2 four times. Now you have 8 Kc in the trash, play 8 Rogues followed by 4 Cities (draw back all the Kc). Now play 4 Tr. Play Prssn -> (Kc ->  [Bom] x 2). Play 8 Graverobbers followed by 4 Cities. So now we have played 16 Bom/Sqr 3 times each for a total of 96 buys. We still have 10 Kc, with 1 each of Rogue, Sqr, Bom, Graverobber, Prssn, and Tr. We can now play Tr -> Prssn -> (Goons) -> Kc x10 -> Bom -> Sqr -> Sir Martin ->  9 Worker's villages -> 8 Goons . This then gives us 18 more buys from the +2 buy cards and +53 from the other 17 cards (+2 from, the trashed card). We can now use Rogue and Graverobber to gain back the Kc and the Goons, draw them with the last City. Play out the last 3 Goons (3 more buys). Amb back the Kc.

This gives us 204 (19 x 3 x 2 with Sqr/Bom/Sir Martin, 8x3+2 for Goons, 9x3 for Wv, 9 for Bm, and 9 for City) buys, I believe, with all the Black Market cards (aside from Sir Martin) not counted to the +buy count. Assuming the action balance is there, you should then be able to play 9 Ruined markets, get 21 Buys from the Bm cards, and get 8 bonus plays of Contraband from Mandarin/Cantrip shenanigans. Assuming I've done the math correctly, this nets me 244 buys or 2440 VP from Goons. As noted, I can also get 3 VP from Bishop and 1 from Monument (after the Kc chain, I have scads more actions than I need). Also as noted, I will top deck Contraband and Counterfeit with something like Courtyard and Count.

So, unless I've screwed up somewhere the kingdom:
1   Kc
2   Tr
3   Prssn
4   Sqr
5   Grvr
6   Rogue
7   Bom
8   Goons
9   Wv
10   City
11   Bm

Let's us reliably hit 2444 VP per turn. You lose 32 simple buys by swapping in Tr, Rogue, Prssn, and Grvr. One the other hand they let you play Kc an extra 16 times, which is 48 buys (assuming you will already by triple playing all the +2 buy cards). With that and the Prssn -> Kc -> Rogue -> Amb trick, I think we may be optimized now (not sure). I believe I have enough actions (particularly if I were to rework this to do the Kc -> Sqr/Bom last and the Wv's first) thanks to Bm villages.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.502 seconds with 20 queries.